Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tato posted:

the only thing that could make this better is doing the bizarre AWA team challenge fake entrance thing

hahahaha i forgot about this. wasn't this some failed show pilot they were trying to put out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

on the one hand they want to respect the history and legacy of the NWA

on the other, i want them to shoot vignettes with the Rock as an alternate history Flex Kavana who was 3 time NWA World Heavyweight Champion

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pass. The Rock would make Tim Storm look tiny. And that'd be weird.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Random note - a lot Memphis stuff is just randomly on Amazon Prime streaming (as well as Youtube of course) if you search for it. The laws regarding who does or doesn't own that footage is a bit confused and lax.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DoctorGonzo posted:

the love for storm its ironic right? the guy is trash

Tim Storm is cool and good for many reasons but for me it's because he's like if a random territory guy time traveled to 2019 and didn't change in any way while getting pushed up the card. Dude's a living diorama of what wrestling used to be and it owns.

DoctorGonzo posted:

and looks like george liquor from ren and stimpy

This adds to it

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Seams posted:

I have no idea why this show works but it does.

1) really good ring sound/sound design in general. everything sounded meaty like out of The Wrestler
2) no fat/filler

definite highlight

old man storm is really not that bad at the old school kind of match they worked. really good story too with storm doing top rope and then illicit poo poo out of desperation, a fine bout IMO. i have no idea how long i will keep watching this before the novelty wears off but i expected absolutely nothing and it over-delivered handsomely

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I still feel bad for Storm when they did the title switch at the CZW show. That was an ugly crowd(IIRC it was Cage of Death of all places). It was real dirty feeling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress em up, tim storm

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
That was a fun little hour of wrestling. Leaning into the old school aesthetic and having a unique niche seems like a good way forward for them.

DJExile posted:

http://universalwrestlingcollege.com/

the austin idol wrestling college website is phenomenal
I said "HOLY poo poo" out loud when opening that link.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The gallery link is just a video of the Idol/Lawler hair apuesta. The one where he offered to refund the fans if he didn't shave Lawler.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I expected this to be a mild curiosity I watched on Youtube at my leisure, but I will be watching this live every Tuesday at 3:05 Pacific just like I did WCW Saturday night.

Wrestling feels like something that should be on in the afternoon, save shows like Dynamite.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I expected this to be a mild curiosity I watched on Youtube at my leisure, but I will be watching this live every Tuesday at 3:05 Pacific just like I did WCW Saturday night.

Wrestling feels like something that should be on in the afternoon, save shows like Dynamite.

Same reaction I had. I was curious because twitter folk said it was really good. I went in with measured expectations and was really shocked by how great the presentation was. The vintage look and feel of it was just great. I'll definitely watch this every week. Nick Aldis rules.

overmind2000 posted:

Tim Storm is cool and good for many reasons but for me it's because he's like if a random territory guy time traveled to 2019 and didn't change in any way while getting pushed up the card. Dude's a living diorama of what wrestling used to be and it owns.

This for me is the primary reason that Tim Storm owns.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

tim storm loves his mom he is a good boy

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NWA wins show of the week.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

coconono posted:

NWA wins show of the week.

aew nitro #2 was better but tbf i do not recall exactly when this show occurred and also are we counting the wrestling week monday to monday wait that is just how normal weeks work?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah dude. this week’s nwa show was more enjoyable for me than this week’s aew show. powerrrrrrrrrrrrr

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Loved them both equally for different reasons.

They're both scratching separate parts of my WCW itch.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

coconono posted:

yeah dude. this week’s nwa show was more enjoyable for me than this week’s aew show. powerrrrrrrrrrrrr

i respect your preference big nick is good and they have a whole stack of "r"s

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LividLiquid posted:

Loved them both equally for different reasons.

They're both scratching separate parts of my WCW itch.

yeah I feel that. Powerrr brings me back to split lips and 8 tracks. Good times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was very surprised how much I enjoyed this and I will definitely be internetting in for future installments.

It's cool to have so much good wrestling easily available now.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If I had to pick for this week I'd go with AEW as better overall, NWA as more surprising

At this point I know what I'm getting from AEW and I love most of it

NWA exceeded my expectations in the look and feel of Powerrr to the point where I see myself making it the only other wrestling show I go out of my way to see weekly. Considering the journey to this point in the Corgan era, I definitely didn't see that coming, and I'm absolutely impressed

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

the love for storm its ironic right? the guy is trash and looks like george liquor from ren and stimpy

In addition to his look, I like that he is old, has a day job and never made it. That he wrestles kinda lovely and does weird/unpolished promos is part of the charm. It's nice in small doses and seems appropriate for a promotion like NWA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah everything about Tim Storm is pretty drat authentic for that 70s-80s nwa feel

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think AEW will likely be the best show of the week for the foreseeable future, but Powerrr is probably going to be my favorite if it stays the way it is. It's just so different and has so much charm.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Even having no nostalgia for this style of show I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. Aside from Cornette being Cornette and grinding his axes every chance he got it was just a very easy to watch show I can easily see myself watching every week.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I loved everything about Power. I too have no nostalgia for NWA but man the look, how the wrestlers acted, how they dressed. Everybody was an individual and got their personality across. The flow was excellent.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tim Storm is like that gym teacher at your high school who was kind of a douchebag but raised insane amounts of money for muscular dystrophy as a hobby. You know he's a bit of a poo poo but you can't help but root for the guy trying hard and doing good.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wish it was Tuesday again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ganso Bomb posted:

I wish it was Tuesday again.
For real. Tuesday/Wednesday is just four hours of amazing wrestling.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I didn't know what to expect but that countdown star screen with the swelling music did a good job of pumping me up. I only watched about half of it so far but I enjoyed what I saw. very unique (for today), pure traditional and has a warm charm to it. gonna watch the rest of it.

I enjoy aew more but I'm definitely interested in this every week as well. between aew, njpw and nwa I've got my hands full with wrestling. and to think wwe drove me away many years ago. thanks to aew (and this forum in part) my interest was rekindled and realized there are soo many options.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The show was a lot better than I expected, and they really went out of their way to recreate that particular era of JCP's World Championship Wrestling sanctioned by the National Wrestling Alliance on WTBS The Superstation. The camera angles, the way the studio layout was setup, those various flags hanging from the rafters, it was basically like they just binged watched those old shows and tried to mirror them as closely as possible. Needs more mustaches and mullets, though.

If they stick to an hour a show I'm on board. I do miss that style of studio wrestling, it's a nice compliment to longer arena wrestling programming for the week.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'm surprised at how well paced things were. They didn't try to cram in too much, there wasn't really dead time, it flowed well.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This show is so good it somehow made Eli Drake interesting

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol this show is sick even with cornette’s yosemite sam horse poo poo
billy corgan sign g raver

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cornette's really good at commentary, though. He's just a poo poo human being.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I enjoyed him on commentary, it's something he is very good at along with historical research of specific geographical areas of pro-wrestling. Just a shame about... y'know... everything else.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Cornette's really good at commentary, though. He's just a poo poo human being.

every time he says something like “i don’t give one cracklin cranberry” or whatever the gently caress I feel like i’m In a cartoon, and you think he’d know better considering he wants the business to be real or whatever

he should say the gently caress word

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I want more Yosemite Sam poo poo in my commentary. Hick it up to the max

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Seams posted:

I want more Yosemite Sam poo poo in my commentary. Hick it up to the max

I think I would hate it in another fed but here I think it just fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WatermelonGun posted:

every time he says something like “i don’t give one cracklin cranberry” or whatever the gently caress I feel like i’m In a cartoon, and you think he’d know better considering he wants the business to be real or whatever

he should say the gently caress word
They're all pretty common southern expressions like "wouldn't give a crippled crab a crutch."