Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ninja 2 is very good but unfortunately has a cheap look about it. Close Range is the same way. They're both worth watching but not good as an INTRO for ANYONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It has an incredible vibe. I would love to see somebody else go for a "David Lynch style action movie" that wasn't a pastiche.

More Cronenberg than Lynch imo, and yes it rocks

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
[quote="Clipperton" post="

Clipperton posted:

More Cronenberg than Lynch imo, and yes it rocks
The utter lack of exposition ties into both and is part of its genius. I haven’t seen any other movies in the series (possibly the first, I guess).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched Savage Dog after Avengement. It’s way less good but gets points for having Keith David.

Scott Adkins's finisher tho...

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Osterman Weekend is a very strange movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Remulak posted:

The utter lack of exposition ties into both and is part of its genius. I haven’t seen any other movies in the series (possibly the first, I guess).

The first is really underwhelming, the action lacks any punch or tension. The best parts are Van Damme eating unlimited food, and Body Count Is In The House playing over the end credits. Regeneration is really solid, it doesn’t do anything different or wild, but it’s a well-made cheap meat-and-potatoes action movie. It’s also DP’d by Peter Hyams, so it looks good.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The first is really underwhelming, the action lacks any punch or tension. The best parts are Van Damme eating unlimited food, and Body Count Is In The House playing over the end credits. Regeneration is really solid, it doesn’t do anything different or wild, but it’s a well-made cheap meat-and-potatoes action movie. It’s also DP’d by Peter Hyams, so it looks good.

The first one has a really good performance by Dolph Lundgren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4CJvhAhMCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxbb9xJWd1E

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 28, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the Rock & Statham F&F thing and it was surprisingly pretty fun for a spin-off of a 20 year old franchise with with what, 9 different installments at this point? More ridiculous than all the previous films combined, sure, but the leads are unsurprising good and action pretty fun and appropriately over the top, but not so much that you start to some out.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Just watched the Rock & Statham F&F thing and it was surprisingly pretty fun for a spin-off of a 20 year old franchise with with what, 9 different installments at this point? More ridiculous than all the previous films combined, sure, but the leads are unsurprising good and action pretty fun and appropriately over the top, but not so much that you start to some out.

Holy crap, Fast and Furious is 20 years old?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Narzack posted:

Holy crap, Fast and Furious is 20 years old?

First one came out in 2001. I saw it in the theater with a car-loving friend, hated it, and never saw any others until earlier this year, when my wife, my best friend, and I binged the series in anticipation of Hobbs & Shaw.

Part 6 was far and away my favorite.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Demolition Man is on hulu and the most absurd part about it in 2019 is that a police officer would be punished for blowing up thirty hostages, tbh

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

First one came out in 2001. I saw it in the theater with a car-loving friend, hated it, and never saw any others until earlier this year, when my wife, my best friend, and I binged the series in anticipation of Hobbs & Shaw.

Part 6 was far and away my favorite.

That's nuts, man. Yeah, I thought the first one was so stupid, too itself way too seriously.

And then I saw 2Fast. I know a lot of people think it's one of the worst, but for me, it was just so goofy and fun that it totally clicked.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yea when he's paired with even a reasonable budget, the results are always outstanding. But he also has done a bunch of zero budget stuff that can still be enjoyable but you need to have a tolerance for crappy production values. It's a shame that he had to make so many of those to eventually work his way up to stuff like Accident Man and Debt Collector.

Close Range has a bunch of awesomely cheap scenes, like people spending literally spending the whole movie pretending to fire guns (blanks are expensive, see)

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I strongly disagree. I think it depicts a really interesting clash between action films and the real world. I wrote a thing on it some time ago but i've no idea where it is.

EDIT: just to clarify, i'm referring to Regeneration. Unisol 1 and 2 are...not good.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 29, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Watched Avengement based on thread, great action/crime movie I really enjoyed it. Scott Adkins was great.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Hello,

I want to bring Mean Guns into this thread, because its essentially one of the first "Battle Royale" type pieces of fiction to closely mimic the actual popular video games of today and because it came out in 1997 wow! 2 Years before even the original Battle Royale novel! I know that "fight to survive" is not a new idea but this movie has all the hallmarks of the current BR obsession.

synopsis: 100 people, who have betrayed The Syndicate, are gathered in a prison opening the next day. They are given weapons and 6 hours to kill each other. The 3 remaining share $10,000,000.

Starring: Christopher Lambert (RIP), ICE-T, and uhhhhh

Its a quintessential 90's action flick, incredibly sanitized violence, lots of shooting, few to none squibs, everyones running around with deagles and poo poo. It has a lot of heart and Lambert & Ice-T both chew up the scenery like no ones business in this flick.

Just as part of genre, it has all the staples that would soon become a video game craze: Everyone starts without weapons and has to get them, the arenas locked off and you die if you go outside the zone, & everyones lootin.

As a film though it has its charm. There are some decent banter between the main dudes, Lambert kills it (literally) as a creepy weirdo (prophetic role as a pedophile type guy in this given his epstein express flight logs), and Ice-T is great. There are some fun little side characters like 2 bozos, a prostitute lady, and the various dopey gang members.

Spoilers for the end: Even though overall the action is only OK, it does have one of my favorite bits of these 90s action films which is when the main protagonist team splits off and "D" the lady assassin gets got by Christopher Lambert's "Lou", when he appears hanging behind her and garrotes her. Just like, where did he come from? And then of course the end is rigged against Lou and they dont even give him a loaded gun for the final mexican stand off.

It is a great "game night" movie as you don't need to think to process anything that is happening and it has plenty of intentional and unintentional laughs.

Clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ScvOp65Gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwwmOtFx5CQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDAGUDlBKOM

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 30, 2019

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Wait, what happened with Christopher Lambert?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

PunkBoy posted:

What, recently? A poo poo-ton of bad plastic surgery.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

he's connected to epstein

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Rambo 5 being Rambo Home Alone was good, Rambo 5 trying to be sicario, not good. Can't wait for Rambo 6: Dementia is Hell

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Hello,

I want to bring Mean Guns into this thread, because its essentially one of the first "Battle Royale" type pieces of fiction to closely mimic the actual popular video games of today and because it came out in 1997 wow! 2 Years before even the original Battle Royale novel! I know that "fight to survive" is not a new idea but this movie has all the hallmarks of the current BR obsession.

synopsis: 100 people, who have betrayed The Syndicate, are gathered in a prison opening the next day. They are given weapons and 6 hours to kill each other. The 3 remaining share $10,000,000.

Starring: Christopher Lambert (RIP), ICE-T, and uhhhhh

Its a quintessential 90's action flick, incredibly sanitized violence, lots of shooting, few to none squibs, everyones running around with deagles and poo poo. It has a lot of heart and Lambert & Ice-T both chew up the scenery like no ones business in this flick.

Just as part of genre, it has all the staples that would soon become a video game craze: Everyone starts without weapons and has to get them, the arenas locked off and you die if you go outside the zone, & everyones lootin.

As a film though it has its charm. There are some decent banter between the main dudes, Lambert kills it (literally) as a creepy weirdo (prophetic role as a pedophile type guy in this given his epstein express flight logs), and Ice-T is great. There are some fun little side characters like 2 bozos, a prostitute lady, and the various dopey gang members.

Spoilers for the end: Even though overall the action is only OK, it does have one of my favorite bits of these 90s action films which is when the main protagonist team splits off and "D" the lady assassin gets got by Christopher Lambert's "Lou", when he appears hanging behind her and garrotes her. Just like, where did he come from? And then of course the end is rigged against Lou and they dont even give him a loaded gun for the final mexican stand off.

It is a great "game night" movie as you don't need to think to process anything that is happening and it has plenty of intentional and unintentional laughs.

Clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ScvOp65Gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwwmOtFx5CQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDAGUDlBKOM

I love this movie. Getting Tommy Jarvis from Friday the 13th VI and Chozen from Karate Kid 2 and having them be best murder bros is :hellyeah:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Stairmaster posted:

he's connected to epstein

Yikes. That's disappointing to hear. :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

zer0spunk posted:

Rambo 5 being Rambo Home Alone was good, Rambo 5 trying to be sicario, not good. Can't wait for Rambo 6: Dementia is Hell

Rambo 6: Bubba Ho-Tep 2

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Avengement is cool. :)

You guys made me a Scott Adkins fan.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just saw Gemini Man and it was a solid action film. I recommend it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just saw Rambo: Last Blood. Truly terrible movie.

- All of the racial stuff you expect to be in the movie is there. Every character in Mexico dresses like an extra from Blood In, Blood Out and there are multiple instances of Sinister Rap Music
- It’s only 90 minutes and was still 20 minutes too long.
- My biggest complaint with it aside from the racially problematic end; it doesn’t feel like a Rambo movie. I don’t even mean like First Blood either, you don’t expect it to be similar to that. But it doesn’t feel like Rambos 2, 3, and 4. By removing any semblance of militarism from the movie in favor of a direct retread of Taken, it feels like this could be a movie with any character in Rambo’s place. If you removed the few times he uses a bow and arrow, it wouldn’t seem like a Rambo movie at all.
- I had a hearty laugh when the credits started playing over scenes from First Blood, as if there’s any semblance of this being the same character
- There’s a goddamn sequel hook

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 13, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Blast Fantasto posted:

- There’s a goddamn sequel hook
Rambo: Laster Blood.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does stallone not realize he's old

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Stairmaster posted:

He should know after this, because he somehow looks significantly older in Last Blood than he does in Creed 2. Maybe the hat and Rocky outfit in Creed covers how craggy he looks whereas with Rambo it’s just all out there

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

When Demolition Man came out there were a ton of articles about how he had the body of a man half his age and he was only 45 then. He's always been concerned about aging/not looking as hold as he is, it's like he's compensating. I feel that Arnold is much more mature about this, having won so many body building championships that he doesn't feel the need to continue to pretend he's 25.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Payndz posted:

Rambo: Laster Blood.

Blood: The Last Rambo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

When Demolition Man came out there were a ton of articles about how he had the body of a man half his age and he was only 45 then. He's always been concerned about aging/not looking as hold as he is, it's like he's compensating. I feel that Arnold is much more mature about this, having won so many body building championships that he doesn't feel the need to continue to pretend he's 25.

Something weird happened in Stallone's brain in the mid-80's where he completely jumped tracks from "respected actor and screenwriter" to "biggest action star in the world" and just became obsessed with his body to a ridiculous degree. I've always theorized that it was the critical failure of Staying Alive that did it(and then Rhinstone the year after, which he wrote the screenplay for), he was like gently caress this "filmmaker" crap, I'm just gonna hulk out and be an A-list action star for the rest of my career.

I think you're right that Arnold stepped into Hollywood fully formed as a guy with a ridiculous body and he never had any confidence issues there. Stallone I think ended up trying too hard with that and as a result he probably fell short creatively of what he could've accomplished given his writing and acting abilities.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Isn't Stallone a little dude? Probably has chicken hawk syndrome.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
^He’s like 5’10” so smaller than Schwarzenegger but not exactly Tom Cruise

Staying Alive is fascinating to me. Saturday Night Fever is such a grim, honest movie about youth culture. Then Staying Alive is this overblown goofy thing.

If Staying Alive had come out in 79 and Rocky was the only movie Stallone had made to that point, you would have thought he was the perfect person to make a consistent sequel to Saturday Night Fever. But by 83 he had already made Rocky 3 which was the first time we saw his tendencies to get goofy as a director/writer.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Blast Fantasto posted:

^He’s like 5’10” so smaller than Schwarzenegger but not exactly Tom Cruise

Staying Alive is fascinating to me. Saturday Night Fever is such a grim, honest movie about youth culture. Then Staying Alive is this overblown goofy thing.

If Staying Alive had come out in 79 and Rocky was the only movie Stallone had made to that point, you would have thought he was the perfect person to make a consistent sequel to Saturday Night Fever. But by 83 he had already made Rocky 3 which was the first time we saw his tendencies to get goofy as a director/writer.

More like 5'8" IRL. But he's always acted like a 5'4" dude trying to fake being way taller, he's got a big ol' complex about it.

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Sylvester-Stallone-347.html

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I saw Gemini Man in 2k 120fps and I generally thought most scenes looked great. There was one scene that looked straight out of Benny Hill though which I think has to do with being filmed at 120fps and being sped up since it was a stunt that probably had to be filmed way slower.

also the movie is super meh, and none of the action is anything to write home about, though there is one this was awesome scene and 120fps is making this awesome.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 14, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The motorbike stunt guy (one of them anyway) is called Tony Carbajal and he posted a behind the scenes clip of his work on the bike scene on Instagram and you can tell which bits he actually did vs the cg bits as there's a weird lack of weight. The dude's super talented on a bike but I think they wanted more speed on moves for impact and it just looks odd.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
That bike sequence is the only good bit of the movie..at least when it's not obviously a cgi model. This movie baffles me, so maybe strange choices and overall it's pretty rear end.

They also stole the premise from a comic book, and it's done in a much better fashion there..no clue if anyone has noticed/cares, this film is bombing here (maybe it'll do better in china)

I didn't know alibaba makes movies, so that was interesting. I guess if amazon does it, so should chinese amazon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Basebf555 posted:

Something weird happened in Stallone's brain in the mid-80's where he completely jumped tracks from "respected actor and screenwriter" to "biggest action star in the world" and just became obsessed with his body to a ridiculous degree.

He got trolled pretty badly by Arnold and although he says it's all jokes I reckon he is mad and was mad irl

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

zer0spunk posted:

That bike sequence is the only good bit of the movie..at least when it's not obviously a cgi model. This movie baffles me, so maybe strange choices and overall it's pretty rear end.

They also stole the premise from a comic book, and it's done in a much better fashion there..no clue if anyone has noticed/cares, this film is bombing here (maybe it'll do better in china)

I didn't know alibaba makes movies, so that was interesting. I guess if amazon does it, so should chinese amazon.

I think Alibaba was involved with the last few Missions Impossible as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

zer0spunk posted:

Dancer was published in 2012, but Gemini Man was in development hell for like 20 years.