Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I watch a ton of horror and have to recommend Marianne on Netflix. The French certainly know how to do horror and the episodic structure makes for good pacing. That said it does take a Stranger Things turn for an episode that I did not expect and was a little jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Watched the Bigfoot Run Amok Movie Night of the Demon since I have been on a Z-grade kick. What a waste of time. No redeeming qualities, the monster looked bad, the gore effects were bad, it was unpleasant as gently caress in sound, story and picture, it actually hurt my head.

The Nest was good though, great payoff in the final act for the slow burn of the first two.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Is Into the Dark on Hulu a complete garbage fire? I read somewhere that it was, but I figured it might have a couple episodes worth watching.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
VHS and VHS2 was taken off Hulu unfortunately. Saw Halloween 3 Season of the Witch Saturday and it was eh. I can see why people were pissed when it came out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bradzilla posted:

I watched The Sixth Sense last night and it's overall good but lol at the twist being that Bruce Willis is dead.

I saw it in the theaters when I was younger had had no idea. :saddowns:

bradzilla posted:

Also M Night Shyamalan loving loves making cameos in his own movies.

Stephen King does that sometimes. He was in the new IT 2 movie and he did a loving horrible job in a story in Creepshow 2 I believe. Also Stan Lee of course and Robert Shay from New Line likes to be in Freddy movies.

I watched Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky last night. I liked both of them a lot. I saw Curse in a Scream Stream once a few years ago and didn't really remember it. Both have Brad Dourif's daughter in it and she does really well. She plays a wheelchair bound girl who, well, starts getting stalked by Chucky. Some stuff happens and in Cult she's in a mental hospital and I love mental hospital movies.

Cult is on Netflix atm.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I saw it in the theaters when I was younger had had no idea. :saddowns:

Some goon is getting around to watching a 20 year old movie in 2019 who’s plot twist has been the subject of numerous articles, lists, and YouTube videos, and is trying to proclaim “I can’t believe you all didn’t see that coming” 20 years after the fact? Maybe they managed to avoid the Bruce Willis is dead spoiler for all this time. But the ship has sailed getting to be smug about it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Even at the time, that thing was spoiled everywhere for you if you hadn't seen it in the first week. It was annoying.
It was the first time I remember that people were becoming spoiler-sensitive.

Also, 'Bruce Willis was dead the entire time' is like 'Darth Vader is Luke's father'. You don't have to see the movie to just know about it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Friday the 13th Part IV and Friday the 13th Part VI are the best two to watch if you've not seen any before. (Even if neither feature Kane Hodder who is the best Jason)

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Friday the 13th Part IV and Friday the 13th Part VI are the best two to watch if you've not seen any before. (Even if neither feature Kane Hodder who is the best Jason)

It's such a shame most of the Friday's featuring Hodder are so poo poo.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Coredump posted:

Some goon is getting around to watching a 20 year old movie in 2019 who’s plot twist has been the subject of numerous articles, lists, and YouTube videos, and is trying to proclaim “I can’t believe you all didn’t see that coming” 20 years after the fact? Maybe they managed to avoid the Bruce Willis is dead spoiler for all this time. But the ship has sailed getting to be smug about it.

I honestly didn't know but it was incredibly obvious with the scene where Cole tells him he sees dead people, but the dead people don't know they're dead and then stares at him for several seconds before the scene cuts. Combined with zero follow up on the opening scene of getting shot by the other guy that could see the ghosts it wasn't hard to figure out.

Not trying to be smug, just pointing out that M Night's twists aren't usually all that great. Like in Signs where the aliens invading a planet that is 75% water being weak against water. And The Village where it's actually modern times.

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 15, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bradzilla posted:

I honestly didn't know but it was incredibly obvious with the scene where Cole tells him he sees dead people, but the dead people don't know they're dead and then stares at him for several seconds before the scene cuts. Combined with zero follow up on the opening scene of getting shot by the other guy that could see the ghosts it wasn't hard to figure out.

Not trying to be smug, just pointing out that M Night's twists aren't usually all that great. Like in Signs where the aliens invading a planet that is 75% water being weak against water. And The Village where it's actually modern times.

Yeah, but once again this is with the hindsight of knowing M Night is 'the wacky twist director,' or did you never hear about that either?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, but once again this is with the hindsight of knowing M Night is 'the wacky twist director,' or did you never hear about that either?

The post you quoted has the answer you're looking for.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The aliens in Signs were not aliens but demons and they aren't weak against water, but it was holy water because the dad was a priest.

Duh.

That was the real twist.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

John F Bennett posted:

The aliens in Signs were not aliens but demons and they aren't weak against water, but it was holy water because the dad was a priest.

I love Signs to pieces -- it's probably in my top 5 favorite movies of all time -- but it absolutely falls into the trap where the allegorical side of the story (a man struggles with mortality only to overcome it by rediscovering his faith) totally overwhelms the narrative side.

You end up with a wonderfully and increasingly tense film totally going off the rails because "the aliens invaded a world that's three quarters water when they are deathly allergic to water :what: "

That said, I'm totally willing to forgive the movie for that, as literally everything else about it just clicks, for me.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

*holy water

VVVV :airquote: aliens :airquote:

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 15, 2019

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

More like :airquote: holy water :airquote:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure all the glasses of drinking water that were conveniently laying around the house weren't holy water. :shrug:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

When the dying mother said swing away, it was actually god speaking through her because of the impending demonic invasion of Earth.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, the whole movie is God basically slapping Mel Gibson's character upside the head, at the end, by saying "you big fuckin' dummy. Of course I exist. It's impossible for all of these events to have played out in such a way that they're coincidences."

So yeah, the glasses aren't literal holy water, but holy not-coincidence water that Joaquin Phoenix can use to kill the alien.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
Watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe last night on the recommendation of this thread and drat. That's a good one.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Whatever it was, I really liked the movie. I think I like all of M. Night's movies! Also, The Village which was also spooky at times.

Speaking of spooky M.Night movies, I also really liked The Visit. That one was weird and spooky.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

Whatever it was, I really liked the movie. I think I like all of M. Night's movies! Also, The Village which was also spooky at times.

Speaking of spooky M.Night movies, I also really liked The Visit. That one was weird and spooky.

even The Happening? Try defending that one :colbert:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Or Lady in the Water. Woof.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Parrotine posted:

it did broach the "bad-to-funny" barrier a few times and made me laugh when it wasnt incredibly frustrating so there is that

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I just watched all three Cube movies back to back having never seen any of them before. They were all the same movie

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

John F Bennett posted:

The real star is the actress playing the grandma. She really pulled off some awesomely creepy stuff.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pitdragon posted:

it did broach the "bad-to-funny" barrier a few times and made me laugh when it wasnt incredibly frustrating so there is that

Marky Mark playing an intellectual requires a real suspension of disbelief.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Parrotine posted:

The Happening is a perfect comedy film.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The Happening is fantastic in a strange way, I've seen it at least 3 times.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Unbreakable is a very cool movie. Too bad about the rest of M. Night Shamalyan's other stuff which is almost all trash. He is a very bad filmmaker.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I just watched all three Cube movies back to back having never seen any of them before. They were all the same movie

Not true, the first is good!
I mean the sequels are very much in the 'just try to redo the original' school of sequels. But the first has a few great little things going for it, between fake outs about what characters you're supposed to root for, or expect to survive.
Also had the interesting gimmick of each character being named after a prison that corresponds with their quirks.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Even the first is a trash movie, some of the acting is ridiculously bad but goddamn it's fun.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

bradzilla posted:

Also M Night Shyamalan loving loves making cameos in his own movies.

This is not bad in and of itself. Hitchcock did it. M Night just made the mistake of huffing his own creativity farts a little too much after how unexpectedly successful the Sixth Sense was and thinking he was a master before he had really started his career. He has been interesting to watch because despite his infamous plummet he has hung on for dear life and stuck it out despite the criticism. This shows his heart is in the right place and he is in it to make movies not just money. He has without a doubt paid his dues and I think as he gets older he will put out at least a few more good movies. I think people become consistently good directors when they realize their job is more than just bringing their vision to life but also being an effective leader of the cast and crew throughout the production. This is very difficult for young directors without a lot of industry experience to do.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

6) Gray Matter (a terrified son tells the story of his dad turning into.... something)

Is it because he was drinking tainted beer? I remember reading a short story titled something similar (I think) where the dad just drinks beer in a darkened room and his son has to keep bringing him beer but it turns out there's a little hole or something in the cans and they had some sort of mildew or something growing in them that turned the dad into a lumpy thing.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Coolness Averted posted:

I mean the sequels are very much in the 'just try to redo the original' school of sequels. But the first has a few great little things going for it, between fake outs about what characters you're supposed to root for, or expect to survive.
Also had the interesting gimmick of each character being named after a prison that corresponds with their quirks.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Even the first is a trash movie, some of the acting is ridiculously bad but goddamn it's fun.
my 2 cents:
the first Cube had a thoughtful, almost meditative overtone, reflecting on how humans respond to unfamiliar circumstances, what kind of meaning we project onto our surroundings, how we approach trying to understand the unknown and survive

math girl tries to figure everything out using math, but it turns out to be massively more complicated than the initial model that seemed to be working (and, honestly, is there a more succinct summary of the history of scientific understanding?); "the wren" cockily assumes he's got the trap situation all figured out and dies, like, immediately; caring doctor lady is good at reading people and also has her crazy conspiracy theories; the cop's people-management skills start out as a mediating force but become violent and dictatorial; hopeless guy just reads the entire situation as pointless, but it turns out to be harboring some special knowledge that helps them figure stuff out when he stops being a poobutt; kazan seems like a frightened and useless child but turns out to also be a calculator
I'm giving it a lot of credit, but it's not not there

the other two movies honed in on the pulpy elements and iterated on them, but didn't really have anything to say with them. they're just like a way-too-literal interpretation of the first one
"a bunch of strangers wake up trapped in a series of interlocking cube-shaped rooms, some of which have deadly traps, they use math to try to escape, and some of the strangers are secret assholes" eh ok
as a result they try to parlay the intrigue into gub'ment conspiracy :tinfoil: territory, all black suits and mysterious agencies– an element that was present in the first film, but only as speculation on the part of the prisoners; part of the point was that the film doesn't really confirm any of their theories (also, personally, I found the idea that the entire thing was just a bureaucratic anomaly whose purpose had been forgotten in a sea of abstracted responsibilities to be way more interesting)

I mean, they're fun...
part of me likes them the way it likes the Final Destination and Saw movies
I just feel like a creative mind could have come up with something much more interesting to pull out of the premise

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bradzilla posted:

The fact that it's obvious in retrospect (or with spoilers) is why it was a good twist. A bad twist is completely random, like if it turned out at the end that Bruce Willis was actually a space alien who lost his memories when he got shot, and the kid knew because the ghosts told him and you're left just sitting there going :what: If he lays out a foundation for the twist some people are going to guess it.

The first time you see a film where the twist at the end was that they were already dead, or in purgatory, or all the spooky stuff was just random neurons in a dying brain -- the first time it blows your mind. But eventually you see lots of stories that end that way, so when a movie has a "near death" followed by freaky poo poo you see the twist coming a mile away. The Sixth Sense was a mainstream blockbuster, so it was seen by a lot of people who don't watch many horror movies, and so hadn't seen that particular twist a dozen times before.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Coolness Averted posted:

The cop was an rear end in a top hat murderer. Go figure.

Last night I watched a few movies but I was admittedly half in the bag.

Child's Play 2019. Eh, not great. Mark Hamill does the voice of Chucky which is neat but he doesn't really ham it up which would have been nice. There was a huge stupid point though. Chuck was originally just a talking doll that you'd find anywhere. This one is a super advanced doll with robocop type vision. It was insane.

The Last Exorcism. A fraud pastor helps a girl who is possessed (possibly) and then finds out that maybe she isn't faking and he doesn't really know what to do since he fakes everything. Eh, it's not terrible. Although it's found footage shaky cam and I hate that stuff. The girl is really innocent which makes it kinda creepy. I barely remember the last part, I went to sleep.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Pretty much everything has been mentioned that I might suggest, but The Omega Man (1971) with Chuck Heston is really good. It's based on the Novel "I am Legend" and a remake of Vincent Price's "Last man on earth". If you've seen I am Legend, you'll get some serious deja-vu.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I barely remember the last part, I went to sleep.
it was pretty stupid

the "demon" possessing nell accidentally reveals it doesn't know what a blowjob is called, and the dude calls her out on it. it turns out she's very disturbed but faking the possession in order to explain her pregnancy, which was actually because she'd had sex with a boy in town. the filmmakers leave and bump into the boy (... somehow?) and can tell just by talking to him that he's totally gay. so they're like, "oh wow ok, so her weirdo religious dad DEFINITELY molested her."

so they go back to confront him, and the house has, confusingly, been vandalized by satanists?
the movie's like "GOT YOU! DOUBLE PSYCH! she wasn't possessed but she was pregnant by a demon somehow! or, she was possessed and the devil doesn't know about blowjobs? it's not really clear"

there's a cool shot of them throwing the demon baby into a fire and the fire turning into a fire demon

then the last shot of the movie is they're running from the satanists and they bump into nell's brother, who was all "this is stupid, documentaries suck, go away" for the entire movie, and he murders them because I guess he was a satanist the whole time too

e: oh the brother was like that because he didn't want anybody spilling the beans on his cult! wow, I just got that :downs:

I think I talked about this in cined once, and they said it's the fear of your rational explanations being wrong and what you dismiss as religious zealotry actually being right and staring you in the face the whole time but you just refused to believe it, something like that
but idk it just did not work for me at all. when they came back and found the house vandalized my first thought was honestly that a completely unrelated satanic cult just sort of happened to show up

Cubone fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's terrible. Good thing I passed out.