Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Going back to Predator 2 for a second, I always kinda laughed at the fact that so many people in that subway car were armed. Because Late 90's Los Angeles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88R7yAEPYq8

Also good: 90's Gary Busey being very 90's Gary Busey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Predator 2 is Verhoeven level satire. Great movie

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

skasion posted:

Predator 2 is Verhoeven level satire. Great movie

I don't think it was meant to be satire, in the late 80's and early 90's people really did think that cities would be war zones by the year 2000

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't think it was meant to be satire, in the late 80's and early 90's people really did think that cities would be war zones by the year 2000

I mean...the movie ends with an LA cop being approvingly rewarded for his skill at killing by a tribe of merciless alien monsters who live to hunt and kill. It’s not quite as unsubtle about it as Verhoeven in Robocop/Starship Troopers mode, but it’s very much a movie having a laugh at Americans (and their media) for their violence obsession. The point of setting it in the then-near future is so that then-contemporary trends can be exaggerated to a ridiculous extent that nobody would buy if you said it was happening right now in 1990. The subway scene where everyone whips out is supposed to be blackly funny — it’s an absurd escalation, even the old grandma is carrying. And this absurd willingness to resort to violence is precisely what makes the people of LA appropriate targets for predation. A few years before this movie was written, there was a real life case on the NYC subway where a white guy got either panhandled at, or shaken down, by a group of black teenagers and started blasting away at them. That’s the kind of thing the scene is riffing off of.

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 17, 2019

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

The Rhino Alien had the same ram-head gimmick. They’re both the same toy but with different extraneous bits and new paint - if you put them side by side, the core torso pieces are identical.

Same thing with the Gorilla and Mantis Alien toys - the torsos are identical.

No wonder I got them mixed up. I’m guessing the remake won’t have the gimmicky ram-head though

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sunswipe posted:

Anyone got strong feelings about Deep Rising?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVFEVXIyu00
'Cos I freaking love this film, and it feels like it would fit in this thread.

Deep Rising rules.

If you want to watch the same movie 4 times in a row but still enjoy doing it, watch Deep Rising, Virus, Event Horizon, and Ghost Ship back to back.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

One of my favorite parts of Predator 2 is in the intro where it's full on bedlam and one of the cartel guys (I think he's using a pair of Uzis) is just smiling and laughing and blasting away. I always like seeing people take joy in their work.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Any of the social commentary stuff in Predator 2 is definitely deliberate, it's just kind of limply executed, or played too subtle, or something.

I love the movie, but its budgetary limits are readily apparent. It's somehow both greater and less than the sum of its parts.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 18, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Lil Peeler posted:

One of my favorite parts of Predator 2 is in the intro where it's full on bedlam and one of the cartel guys (I think he's using a pair of Uzis) is just smiling and laughing and blasting away. I always like seeing people take joy in their work.

Yeah all the cop-gang shootout poo poo is over the top and funny as hell.

Morton Downey Jr popping up throughout is great as well. That man was so far ahead of his time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I wouldn't compare it too much with Verhoeven but there is definitely some social commentary there. I wouldn't say full on satire. Verhoeven does it SOOO over the top that it completely does a 180 so people can't even see any satire at all. He's a genius.

As someone mentioned earlier people literally thought that there we going to be full on warfare zones in their cities with gangs running everything. Especially LA and NY. So that isn't too far from reality. So the gang scene was a bit over the top but not unrealistic. The subway seen was hilarious though.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Laterite posted:

Any of the social commentary stuff in Predator 2 is definitely deliberate, it's just kind of limply executed, or played too subtle, or something.

I love the movie, but its budgetary limits are readily apparent. It's somehow both greater and less than the sum of its parts.

Coked-up Gary Busey chewing up the scenery adds a lot to the movie.

Lions... Tigers... Bears... OH MY...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I wanna say that was before his brain injury but I'm too arsed to look it up.

I like when you guys tell me. :kimchi:

I swear that's from a movie. Like a little girl knows something but wants someone else to say it anyway.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with Predator 2's satire is it only works in the States. The rest of the world watches it and goes "Yup, that's what American cities are like."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
No that's just what it's like in schools now.

:downsrim:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Any illusion that Predator 2 isn't playing it for laughs should go out the window when Danny Glover exits a car full of Jamaican gangsters along with a cloud of smoke bigger than your average Pink Floyd concert and tells them "You know you really ought to cut down."

Also I'm still confused as to what happened to Gary Busey's torso.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sunswipe posted:

The problem with Predator 2's satire is it only works in the States. The rest of the world watches it and goes "Yup, that's what American cities are like."
As a non-american who watched predator 2 in the 90s, can confirm

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
As a midwesterner who watched Predator 2 in the 90s, can confirm

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
As a Predator who rips out cop spines in the 90s, can confirm.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

happyhippy posted:

As a Predator who rips out cop spines in the 90s, can confirm.

Thank you for your service

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

do such vestigal structures even make good trophies tho?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ZlHHP0BXA

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

skasion posted:

A few years before this movie was written, there was a real life case on the NYC subway where a white guy got either panhandled at, or shaken down, by a group of black teenagers and started blasting away at them. That’s the kind of thing the scene is riffing off of.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-bernhard-goetz-subway-shooting

Predator 2, isn't that the one where the Predators give Danny Glover an old 1700's rifle at the end?

"Here you go have this old gun we got off the last guy who tried to kill us"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They have to be alive to be an acceptable host so once they burst out of the chest and kill them there's nothing usable anymore.
My pet theory hinges on cocooned chestbursting only mostly killing you due to various unspecified cocooning properties.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Predator 2, isn't that the one where the Predators give Danny Glover an old 1700's rifle at the end?

It was a flintlock pistol, IIRC. I thought it was actually a cool bit of worldbuilding that you're expecting a he's doomed to get revenge killed by predator bros but they have a hunter's ethos like "Welp, real recognize real. I guess you don't take skulls so here's a suitable trophy."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It was also a nice way to say "They've been coming here for a long time." They should really make a Predator film set in the Wild West or something.

e: Maybe the Tunguska event could have been a Predator's self destruct bomb going off.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

It was also a nice way to say "They've been coming here for a long time." They should really make a Predator film set in the Wild West or something.

Yeah I’m honestly kind of surprised there hasn’t been a period piece Predator yet. Ten Thousand Predators BC. Prædator. Crusadator. Aztec vs Predator.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

skasion posted:

Yeah I’m honestly kind of surprised there hasn’t been a period piece Predator yet. Ten Thousand Predators BC. Prædator. Crusadator. Aztec vs Predator.

Schindler’s List but with Predators instead of Nazis

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Owlbear Camus posted:

It was a flintlock pistol, IIRC. I thought it was actually a cool bit of worldbuilding that you're expecting a he's doomed to get revenge killed by predator bros but they have a hunter's ethos like "Welp, real recognize real. I guess you don't take skulls so here's a suitable trophy."
I see it more as

Splicer posted:

The predator in predator 2 makes the predators in AvP 1 look like tactical geniuses

I think the other predators let him get killed because they didn't want to ride back with him

Seriously he's useless

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't think I've seen it since it was first released on VHS but I definitely remember getting that vibe when he was back in his spaceship.

Like the fat kid who went off on his own to get the easy kills of humans while the cool predators were out together, hunting the scary space monsters.

skasion posted:

The predator in Predator 2 is indeed a moron. I like to think of him as the equivalent of fat middle-American dentists who go on safari and get eaten by lions; in that case, the actions of his fellow predators at the end of that movie are tantamount to your hunting buddies thinking so little of you they give the lion a medal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Napoleon vs. Predator.

Tagline: This may be his Waterloo

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

"gently caress guys, we gotta give this dude something for the effort. Zhi'quak was an rear end in a top hat anyways."

You know the old trope about aliens discovering humanity and finding us so violent and unpredictable we become the most dangerous mercenaries in the galaxy?

I figure the pistol goes along with that. These fuckers captured a pirate who used the opportunity to break out and go pirating around the galaxy. Giving the flintlock as a trophy is like saying, "You're the second-most psychotic human we've met. GJ. Anyone else shows up, wave this thing around."

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's totally this, yeah. Here's a quickie comic that backs up that ethos as well as the pistol's origin:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Predator-Hell-Come-a-Walkin-1718/Full?id=96409#46

I liked the little bit about the cross, too. If I read it right, he thinks Adolini is honoring a slain foe/trophy by wearing a crucifix around his neck. Kinda cool.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 18, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Predators are one of the coolest concepts that have had the least amount of actually cool movies/video games/whatever made about them imo

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

purple death ray posted:

Predators are one of the coolest concepts that have had the least amount of actually cool movies/video games/whatever made about them imo

Right? They're what every kid dreams of being, but in order to have a movie the studios wedge in a human badass as the hero and try extra hard to make you care about that. People don't want to be xenomorphs, because they're more fun to be scared by. They're a rapey force of nature and they're utterly unknowable. They actively force you to identify with the humans facing them. But when you treat the Predator the same way, the formula breaks down. So every movie is by default trying to convince you that you're not actually in love with this rad high-tech lone wolf acrobatic invisible badass alien ninja with a completely unexplored culture, backstory, and planet, and that you should instead give a poo poo about Adrien Brody. They keep making Brian Dennehy the main character in First Blood.

They just need a movie with a Yautja as the main character doing his thing somewhere and get away from 'this creature hunts the group of one-dimensional dudes you just met'. Subbed not dubbed, not a whole lot of dialogue, and character development. Just take the rough outline of an artsy western or a movie about a wilderness dude or a hunter or whatever and make a Predator the main character. Fistful of Dollars. Jeremiah Johnson. Hell, Escanaba In Da Moonlight. Give me a loving Predator Rooster Cogburn.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 18, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I still think there's some value in "Deliverance but Predators": it would be all from the point of the Predators having a really bad hunting trip on Earth.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Right? They're what every kid dreams of being, but in order to have a movie the studios wedge in a human badass as the hero and try extra hard to make you care about that. People don't want to be xenomorphs, because they're more fun to be scared by. They're a rapey force of nature and they're utterly unknowable. They actively force you to identify with the humans facing them. But when you treat the Predator the same way, the formula breaks down. So every movie is by default trying to convince you that you're not actually in love with this rad high-tech lone wolf acrobatic invisible badass alien ninja with a completely unexplored culture, backstory, and planet, and that you should instead give a poo poo about Adrien Brody. They keep making Brian Dennehy the main character in First Blood.

They just need a movie with a Yautja as the main character doing his thing somewhere and get away from 'this creature hunts the group of one-dimensional dudes you just met'. Subbed not dubbed, not a whole lot of dialogue, and character development. Just take the rough outline of an artsy western or a movie about a wilderness dude or a hunter or whatever and make a Predator the main character. Fistful of Dollars. Jeremiah Johnson. Hell, Escanaba In Da Moonlight. Give me a loving Predator Rooster Cogburn.
That's why I continue to defend AvP2, they almost got it and almost do this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Young Freud posted:

I still think there's some value in "Deliverance but Predators": it would be all from the point of the Predators having a really bad hunting trip on Earth.

"Boy you got a uh... distinctive mouth."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Legendary Encounters: Predator deckbuilder boardgame comes with two distinct modes (almost two separate games), one where you play through Predator or Predator 2 as humans, and one where you play through them as predators

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They showed a Marie Celeste flintlocke pistol in Predator 2?
Do one in that setting.
Though wasn't there a comic that did this?

Edit: VVV Thanks, teaches me for skimming posts.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 18, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

happyhippy posted:

They showed a Marie Celeste flintlocke pistol in Predator 2?
Do one in that setting.
Though wasn't there a comic that did this?

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It's totally this, yeah. Here's a quickie comic that backs up that ethos as well as the pistol's origin:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Predator-Hell-Come-a-Walkin-1718/Full?id=96409#46

I liked the little bit about the cross, too. If I read it right, he thinks Adolini is honoring a slain foe/trophy by wearing a crucifix around his neck. Kinda cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just remake every Assassins Creed game with predators