Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Now I shouldn't say this but the book is fantastic.

Shhhh...I love you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Frankenstyle posted:

Shhhh...I love you.

:glomp:

I just know that books/movies are very very different and it can be really stupid to bring it up but this one needs mentioning.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Frankenstyle posted:

It's so sad that so many people were all like "But that just doesn't woooork" with High Tension and just gaze over the whole unreliable narrator concept.

You have to be smart when doing the unreliable narrator thing though. Ideally by having the main character be in every frame of the film because we're experiencing the world through them. If we see something happen that they could have bore witness too (like a killer shagging a severed head, for instance) then you ruin the unreliable narrator narrative because that isn't the character imagining something. That's just the film showing something that just flat-out didn't happen.
You could get around that by framing the film as the character recounting the events to someone and you can write it off as they were filling in the blanks/presuming what had happened. But again, you'd have to be really smart about it so people don't see the twist coming a mile off.

I've not seen that film in forever, mind so apologies if I can't point to more concise examples of why I don't think it works.

edit: I did like the film. Just think it could have been tightened up, script wise.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 18, 2019

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Drunken Baker posted:

You have to be smart when doing the unreliable narrator thing though. Ideally by having the main character be in every frame of the film because we're experiencing the world through them. If we see something happen that they could have bore witness too (like a killer shagging a severed head, for instance) then you ruin the unreliable narrator narrative because that isn't the character imagining something. That's just the film showing something that just flat-out didn't happen.
You could get around that by framing the film as the character recounting the events to someone and you can write it off as they were filling in the blanks/presuming what had happened. But again, you'd have to be really smart about it so people don't see the twist coming a mile off.

I've not seen that film in forever, mind so apologies if I can't point to more concise examples of why I don't think it works.

Yeah. It's not perfect, and even the guy's who made it admit that the twist was an afterthought, but for some reason I give that movie extra slack. Probably because I was watching it alone at night half zoned out the first time and it hosed with me on a gut level. Really I think horror is more subjective than comedy.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'll have to re-watch it tonight. I remember that circular saw kill being metal as gently caress. :black101:

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Oldstench posted:

That was me! Glad you liked it. More people should watch it.

it was a cool movie in which summoning angels can be as dangerous as summoning demons

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

From Beyond is so good

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

A Fancy Hat posted:

Yup, it's actually an adaptation of that very story (which was written by Stephen King).

Last night the wife and I headed to our local indy theater to watch Re-Animator. I'm guessing most people have seen this or at least are aware of it. It owns. Pure 1980s pulpy goodness. Amazing practical effects, a really great dark sense of humor, and Jeffrey Combs.

This is probably the 4th or 5th time I've watched this, but it's the first time on a big screen, so I was kind of blown away by some of the effects. Yeah, the disembodied head is just a dude doing the old "cut a hole through the table" gag, but they execute it to perfection. I mean, there's like 3 or 4 different ways they achieve the headless corpse walking around effect, depending on the scene. That's dedication and it shows.

Jeffrey Combs helps push this into pure classic territory, though. He's Herbert West, a little weasel of a medical student who's just discovered the secret to reanimating dead tissue. He's mostly just interested in research, and he's willing to do just about anything to achieve his goals. Somehow, Combs makes him extremely likable, whereas characters like this in other movies can come across as cold or cliché. West is still a little poo poo, but he's OUR little poo poo, and by the end he shows the tiniest little bit of humanity.

I'm going to a horror convention and the female lead Barbara Crampton is in attendance! In case you weren't aware, Combs and Crampton tram up again with director Stuart Gordon for From Beyond, another crazy Lovecraft adaptation.

EDIT: And I missed the last few posts. But I'm still seeing Barb this weekend!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Someone has a very similar AV from this I think.

Anyway, I just watched Green Room on Netflix from the recommendation of the horror/scream stream discord chat. I would absolutely not classify it as horror, and they didn't say so, but it's a good thriller.

Basically a punk band goes to a skinhead show because they are hard on for cash. They witness something bad and have to hole themselves up in a room to prevent the nazis from killing them. It's decently exciting and poo poo... Patrick Stewart plays the lead skinhead. Can't go wrong with that.

I found it enjoyable. I might be biased though because I like seeing Nazis get shot in the chest with a shotgun. :shrug:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gallow posted:

I'm going to a horror convention and the female lead Barbara Crampton is in attendance! In case you weren't aware, Combs and Crampton tram up again with director Stuart Gordon for From Beyond, another crazy Lovecraft adaptation.

EDIT: And I missed the last few posts. But I'm still seeing Barb this weekend!

Barbara Crampton is pretty active on Twitter and is a pro-follow if you're interested in horror.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ultrafilter posted:

Barbara Crampton is pretty active on Twitter and is a pro-follow if you're interested in horror.

I usually don't read Twitter unless someone shares a post but perhaps it's overdue for me to join the rest of the world.

I'm really looking forward to meeting Phil Fondacaro because Troll created one of my most primal childhood fears. Sometimes that little fucker Torok will still cameo in my nightmares thirty years later!

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I watched The VVitch. Didn't care for it at all. It wasn't scary or interesting. It was more of a period movie with some supernatural stuff. I feel like it is mislabeled as a horror movie.

I also watched The Conjuring. It was pretty great. I was initially concerned because the movie started setting off some red flags (fresh start, giant room of haunted stuff, trying to science the ghost stuff). However, none of that stuff ended up becoming a negative for the film. I really appreciated how the movie could maintain a creepy atmosphere even with a large number of characters present. Definitely recommended.

I might check out The Conjuring 2.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013
I saw The VVitch when it came out and couldn't stand it. It seemed like their target audience was people living back then, not people born in the last hundred years. Maybe it would've been fine if I went in with the expectation that it would be more of a history lesson - "this is what scary stories used to be".

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
Instead of watching The Conjuring 2 watch The Enfield Haunting miniseries and also Ghostwatch and then WNUF Halloween Special

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1185307257602314240

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

This owns.

Brutakas posted:

I watched The VVitch. Didn't care for it at all. It wasn't scary or interesting. It was more of a period movie with some supernatural stuff. I feel like it is mislabeled as a horror movie.

I also watched The Conjuring. It was pretty great.

This doesn't.

Only Slightly Bent posted:

I saw The VVitch when it came out and couldn't stand it. It seemed like their target audience was people living back then, not people born in the last hundred years. Maybe it would've been fine if I went in with the expectation that it would be more of a history lesson - "this is what scary stories used to be".

Nor this.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

It is OK to say boring horror movies are boring.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Time to watch Prince of Darkness again.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I didn't know Egg was in that

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
and by Egg I mean beloved character actor Victor Wong, who played Egg Shen in the film Big Trouble in Little China, not Mae Whitman

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Cubone posted:

Victor Wong

Him?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

loving PIN.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Exorcist III last night.

God drat Brad Dourif is one of America's best actors. I haven't seen 2 and heard that was a train wreck but 3 is great. George C. Scott does an excellent job of playing the detective from the first and Brad Dourif plays the Gemini killer who uses a bunch of sacrilegious motifs in his killings. But...... he's in a psych ward. So how is he doing this?

Probably Dourif's best role. He's the voice of Chucky and in LotR as Wormtongue. Just so loving creepy. And part of it being in a hospital makes it even more creepy.

Great movie. You should check it out. Not a blockbuster of course but it's just really..... unsettling but without showing or doing a ton. Just the acting sells it. Good poo poo.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Someone has a very similar AV from this I think.

Anyway, I just watched Green Room on Netflix from the recommendation of the horror/scream stream discord chat. I would absolutely not classify it as horror, and they didn't say so, but it's a good thriller.

Basically a punk band goes to a skinhead show because they are hard on for cash. They witness something bad and have to hole themselves up in a room to prevent the nazis from killing them. It's decently exciting and poo poo... Patrick Stewart plays the lead skinhead. Can't go wrong with that.

I found it enjoyable. I might be biased though because I like seeing Nazis get shot in the chest with a shotgun. :shrug:

that movie was loving brutal

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Jacob's Ladder

well then

This is a weird, but good, movie. A vietnam vet has flashbacks of getting hurt in 'nam and having a family and his new life. It's like Inception basically. Constant going back and forth between the memories. There's the nam stuff, a conspiracy, sickness, drugs, death, etc. It's easy to follow though and you'll probably learn what's happening but it's creepy as poo poo. Some interesting effects like the super fast moving head/movement shakes that became big in horror movies of the early 2000s.

I wouldn't classify it as a horror even though it has some horror elements. But it's a mind gently caress and extremely unsettling. You should watch it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Exorcist III last night.

God drat Brad Dourif is one of America's best actors. I haven't seen 2 and heard that was a train wreck but 3 is great. George C. Scott does an excellent job of playing the detective from the first and Brad Dourif plays the Gemini killer who uses a bunch of sacrilegious motifs in his killings. But...... he's in a psych ward. So how is he doing this?

Probably Dourif's best role. He's the voice of Chucky and in LotR as Wormtongue. Just so loving creepy. And part of it being in a hospital makes it even more creepy.

Great movie. You should check it out. Not a blockbuster of course but it's just really..... unsettling but without showing or doing a ton. Just the acting sells it. Good poo poo.

Hell yeah!

"I like the classics!"

I had an autographed edition of Legion which had some great 13- year old philosophy, but Exorcist III was such a good adaptation.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Crosspost from the "I just watched IT 2" thread or something.

I'll try to make this brief. lol

So I saw it at 10:10pm on a Thursday maybe a week or two after it came out. There were maybe 6 other people in the theater with me so I brought my weed pen and got hosed up before the movie, and halfway through. First off, it was better than the first movie (new IT), but that isn't saying much since every time I rewatch the first one I like it even less. The actors are pretty drat good and Bill Hader steals the show. I have a man crush on McAvoy though but he did alright.

The beginning scene was pretty loving brutal and was similar to the book. A gay couple gets jumped by some bigots and one of them gets the poo poo beat out of him so bad that I felt uncomfortable sitting in the theater. It was very unsettling. So that kinda sucked.

There's a lot I don't remember. I'd have to watch it again which I'm sure but I was really put off by the CGI. It was just so unnecessary and over the top it just look ridiculous. Case in point, one of my favorite scenes in Stephen King's IT... Bev's dad's house. It was terrifying how they slowly built up the old woman doing creepier and creepier things and then boom, ghost zombie dad. Well, the "dad" was different in this movie. Here is a pic I took of the screen:

Yes. It's Violator from Spawn.

I was obviously troubled by that since I really liked that scene in the original. Look at the screenshot again, then watch the movie. You know I'm right.

The ending was a huge CGI fest that was cold and dark and had no feeling to it. Yes, they had the spider which was in the book and original but again, just way over the top.

If I don't see IT 2 ever again I would not care. Still better than the new IT 1 though. I absolutely would watch it again though if it were free. Richie (bill hader) actually makes funny comments and jokes and they couldn't pull that off in any other IT movie. Harry Anderson was just terrible at jokes since it was 1990 and Richie in the new IT 1 just had a foul mouth like all of the other kids. Wow, saying "gently caress" is a joke. Hilarious.

3/5 balloons.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Holy crap they made a movie of this?

I read the book "Paperbacks from Hell" (which everyone should read) and couldn't get over how skeezy and weird this book appeared to be from the description.

This weekend the wife and I watched The Pact, which was shockingly good. In the opening, a woman who's struggled with substance abuse is helping to sell her deceased mother's home. She gets a weird feeling so she skypes her babysitter and wants to talk to her daughter. The connection starts going out but her daughter says "Mommy, who's that behind you?" and the woman rightfully freaks the gently caress out. The last thing we see is her being dragged into a closet.

The rest of the movie is her sister (played by Caity Lotz, which was actually the reason we picked this movie up) investigating what happened. She experiences some weird poo poo herself, including the babysitter getting dragged into the same closet and disappearing. She enlists a cop and an old friend of hers with psychic powers to figure out what's going on.

Here's where the movie shines - we discover along with her that yes, the house is haunted. But no, it's not the ghost that kidnapped people. It's a loving serial killer that lives in a hidden room in the house and sneaks out to murder. When the daughter saw someone - she literally saw someone. And all the weird ghostly shadows that we as a viewer have seen? It's just this skinny old killer. Who, oh yeah, just happens to be the sister's uncle and their mother knew the entire time and let him live in the house and continue his murder spree.

It's really well written, with some good scares, and a wonderfully weird and creepy 70s decorated house. And this movie doesn't feel the need to explain every last little detail and hold your hand through it. Some stuff is weird and unexplained, just like real life.

I enjoy the Conjuring movies a lot, but they suffer from making Catholicism a superpower and by explaining everything. By the end of those movies you know the Warrens are fighting the Demon Blahblahblah who's taken control of the spirit of Billy Fuckface and are using the house as a conduit to channel the spirits of a dead coal miner named Tim and only through the power of love and Catholic guilt will they vanquish him back to the 5th level of Hell. The Pact follows a similar structure, and we do get *some* explanation of ghostly events, but we never find out everything. And what we do discover sometimes just raises a few extra questions.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

A Fancy Hat posted:

Holy crap they made a movie of this?

I read the book "Paperbacks from Hell" (which everyone should read) and couldn't get over how skeezy and weird this book appeared to be from the description.

This weekend the wife and I watched The Pact, which was shockingly good. In the opening, a woman who's struggled with substance abuse is helping to sell her deceased mother's home. She gets a weird feeling so she skypes her babysitter and wants to talk to her daughter. The connection starts going out but her daughter says "Mommy, who's that behind you?" and the woman rightfully freaks the gently caress out. The last thing we see is her being dragged into a closet.

The rest of the movie is her sister (played by Caity Lotz, which was actually the reason we picked this movie up) investigating what happened. She experiences some weird poo poo herself, including the babysitter getting dragged into the same closet and disappearing. She enlists a cop and an old friend of hers with psychic powers to figure out what's going on.

Here's where the movie shines - we discover along with her that yes, the house is haunted. But no, it's not the ghost that kidnapped people. It's a loving serial killer that lives in a hidden room in the house and sneaks out to murder. When the daughter saw someone - she literally saw someone. And all the weird ghostly shadows that we as a viewer have seen? It's just this skinny old killer. Who, oh yeah, just happens to be the sister's uncle and their mother knew the entire time and let him live in the house and continue his murder spree.

It's really well written, with some good scares, and a wonderfully weird and creepy 70s decorated house. And this movie doesn't feel the need to explain every last little detail and hold your hand through it. Some stuff is weird and unexplained, just like real life.

This is a good post. I love this film and it really turned me on to Caity Lotz (she if CW Legends of tomorrow fame). She's got real physical presence and charisma in this film. She's not an Oscar winner for sure but she sells what she has real well.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Sloth Life posted:

This is a good post. I love this film and it really turned me on to Caity Lotz (she if CW Legends of tomorrow fame). She's got real physical presence and charisma in this film. She's not an Oscar winner for sure but she sells what she has real well.

Caity Lotz owns and so does Legends.

There was a "making of" feature we watched where she mentions that she'd like to be in a movie or show where she got to do more martial arts and kick rear end. 2012 Caity Lotz - I have good news for ya.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Speaking of creepy poo poo, y'all should watch the movie Triangle.

It will change you.
This is a really good film. Time Crimes is in a very similar vein and is deffo worth a watch (just ignore the name, and definitely don't watch the trailer, its dreadful)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I thought the Mothman Prophecies was kinda scary

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

A Fancy Hat posted:

I enjoy the Conjuring movies a lot, but they suffer from making Catholicism a superpower and ... the Warrens

I wanted to like these movies but I've heard a couple podcasts / documentaries on the Warrens, and while yes obviously they were pieces of poo poo trying to cash in on the grief of others, they were super turbo pieces of poo poo. Ed was a not too bright rear end in a top hat who used to get his way by physically threatening to beat up people who called them on their bullshit as well as doing the same to any ghost writers they hired who got uncomfortable with their nonsense or who publicly talked about them being assholes. It's a shame they didn't just go 100% horror movie and not actually name real life scumbags and portray them as caring selfless champions against the forces of evil.

Also has anybody mentioned The Endless (2017) and Resolution (2012)? It's two very different low budget movies that's best to know as little about in advance as possible, that tie in together unexpectedly in a neat way. I saw the newest one first and found out the first one exists a couple weeks later. I've heard several people say to see them in chronological order, but I'm kinda glad I saw them backwards.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

I thought the Mothman Prophecies was kinda scary

I've tried to watch it like 5 times and always fall asleep, at this point I have to keep it around for a potential aid.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I saw It 2 a couple weeks ago and thought it was just ok

the opening scene with the realistic gay bashing followed by the spooky clown showing up was kind of oil and water for me. I know it's based on a real-life incident that inspired the novel, and I appreciate the intent, and it added to Richie's character arc, which I thought was handled very well but as somebody who's been close to the real elements here, the juxtaposition with the fantastical elements just did not mesh for me. it cheapened the metaphor to lay it out so literally. (but obviously it's close to home for me, so take that with a grain of salt)

and the bad cgi was pretty distracting. the first movie made a kerjillian bajillian dollars could they really not step up the visual effects a bit?
and good lord the paul bunyan scene what in the fresh gently caress

the ending was... not surprising. I really wonder if there's even a good way to handle it, it's so fantastical
the creepy weak foetal clown as he was dying was disturbing, I liked that, but the design of the spider was pretty disappointing
I guess I pumped myself up too much on the potential, but I was picturing like a flurry of asymmetrical limbs, flesh made of agonized human faces twisting and deforming with its movement, a wholly unnatural and wicked Wrong Thing whose existence itself seemed to be pain stomping around scaring the honest poo poo out of everybody. y'know?

actually, tangent:
when that awful chernobyl diaries movie came out people kept posting this (unrelated) concept art by Keith Thompson:

with the basic idea being "why is no hollywood monster even in the same league as how awesome this thing looks"
here also is Johannes Holm's "Mutant Beast":

and Bobby Rebholz's "Orpachakra":

and I'm sure there are reasons these things don't translate exactly to the screen (Thompson did go on to work on The Ritual, including that incredible Deer/Human Corpse thing at the end) but really like
the bear, from Annihilation? horrifying. that thing was loving awesome, and it's not even that crazy. it doesn't take much, it just has to be wrong.
and there are such immensely talented people champing at the bit to bring these nightmares to the screen, and we got the clown again but his legs are a spider. it's just so disappointing.
blah blah blah

there was a thing earlier in the movie where, one of the monsters had an extra mouth in a place where it shouldn't be? that was cool... extra mouth.
but basically they put the clown's upper torso on a giant spider and called it a day :shrug:

anyway
as much as it felt way too long (honestly, it kind of has the same problem as Peter Jackson's King Kong, where it goes on for so long and introduces so many little things that don't quite add up that it almost feels too short, like this and the first one would have been better off as one 6 hour movie. ...oh. hm.)

and as much as a lot of the content just didn't work for me (besides what I've already mentioned, there was also the Angel of the Morning non-joke, the bully's zombie driver, Mike once again having almost nothing to do, the go-nowhere subplot with Bill and the kid, the extremely undercooked love triangle between Ben, Bev, and Bill, )... as time goes on, I'm finding a lot of the movie actually stuck with me, and I weirdly find myself wanting to rewatch it? :confused:
the feeling of the adults all getting back together and realizing what was going on was so strong. the chinese restaurant scene is just so loving good, establishing chemistry, establishing the stakes. all the stuff with Richie and Eddie was great, even into the overstuffed climax. I almost feel like I could sit down and watch an entire movie of the tension-building, re-uniting, christ-we-are-so-hosed parts of the film.
even in the stupid Paul Bunyan scene there's great stuff like the pep rally in the background stopping dead in its tracks and everybody, out of focus in the background, stopping and turning to stare at Richie and Pennywise. it's so surreal and unnatural and... MAN I wish it were in a better movie
also, yeah, Bill Hader really does steal the show. I say this as a fan, he's shockingly good in this, not just as the comic relief but the emotional center of the film. he almost runs away with the loving movie.

so yeah idk. I may have to rewatch this movie, even though... I really didn't enjoy it that much the first time. not a feeling I'm used to having with movies. maybe I'll wait for that hypothetical supercut.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i really appreciate you folks mentioning the opening scene to It Chapter Two because i actually hadn't heard about it -- or rather i'd heard that the scene was in the film and what its origins in real life were, but not read a description of it until just now that gave enough of a content description to warn me that it wouldn't be good for my mental health to view it. my mom wants me to watch it with her; do i just need to skip the first 5 minutes or something?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

i really appreciate you folks mentioning the opening scene to It Chapter Two because i actually hadn't heard about it -- or rather i'd heard that the scene was in the film and what its origins in real life were, but not read a description of it until just now that gave enough of a content description to warn me that it wouldn't be good for my mental health to view it. my mom wants me to watch it with her; do i just need to skip the first 5 minutes or something?
depends

I pulled up a bootleg just now to get a rough idea of the times

when the movie starts, there's a brief intro narrated by adult Mike
then at about 2 minutes it zooms in to a storm drain and says "27 years later"
the scene in question lasts from there until about 7:15 (though the brutal, real-world stuff ends around the 6 minute mark, and from there it's just the spooky clown capitalizing)
Mike immediately visits the aftermath of the scene, and that lasts until about 8:45

there's another scene later in the movie with young Richie that touches on homophobia but it's not violent or anything it's more like a typical, run-of-the-mill sort of bummer

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

It's probably been mentioned in the thread and I don't know how much I'd call it a spooky movie vs a very tense thriller but I just watched The Perfection and man it has some real intense bits to it. I'd recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

An old favourite of mine is Horror Express. It stars Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing and is about a “missing link” being discovered in ice in Siberia and taken on a train where it thaws out and starts killing people. It does a good job of not showing too much of the monster and has some good eerie music. It also gets very silly, but that’s part of it’s charm.