Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

CitizenKain posted:

We can't donate / recycle computers anymore because some dipshit auditor/examiner was worried about drives not being wiped and important data getting out. So now every machine is sent for disposal.We are a citrix shop, so 90% of the computers out there have seen nothing running on them but citrix apps.

I had a talk with the people in charge of this, and said it was easy to have 2 people verify a drive has been removed. Log everything, keep track of drives, extremely easy to do, and its not like a lot of those people who do that are busy. They said that they still couldn't be sure, because what if someone makes a mistake. Just jaw dropping stupidity.

I work for a state government on the West Coast. We have to remove the hard drives for stuff we e-waste out or send off to be recycled.

We still have to sometimes do retarded poo poo like remind people that old CRT TVs don't have hard drives. I sometimes get a condescending "lEaRnInG oPpOrTuNiTy" email from the property controller reminding my entire team how to use Google to check if a printer from 1999 has a hard drive.

My favorite thing is having to certify a device "doesn't have a memory" and feeling my pedant bone prickle because technically all computing devices have memory, however not all forms of that memory can have confidential data stored on it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TWBalls posted:

I can't speak for others, but the one we have at work has a dial.

It's been a few years since I could actually smell anything, but when I could, I hated the smell freshly popped corn. It's overwhelming.

A dial!? What's it like working in 1982?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

dragonshardz posted:

I work for a state government on the West Coast. We have to remove the hard drives for stuff we e-waste out or send off to be recycled.

We still have to sometimes do retarded poo poo like remind people that old CRT TVs don't have hard drives. I sometimes get a condescending "lEaRnInG oPpOrTuNiTy" email from the property controller reminding my entire team how to use Google to check if a printer from 1999 has a hard drive.

My favorite thing is having to certify a device "doesn't have a memory" and feeling my pedant bone prickle because technically all computing devices have memory, however not all forms of that memory can have confidential data stored on it...

Friend of mine used to work in a DoD Security Clearance area of the Air Force. As of less than 5 years ago, empty toner cartridges had to be destroyed instead of recycled because they took the procedure from ribbon printers and just slapped it on laser printers.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Mine has two: Power (W) and time. High tech!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

dragonshardz posted:

Hey, it's me. Except I'm the only one who cares about disposal.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

That's Pro status, man. poo poo's probably 1600w.

Popcorn talk has me thinking. I've spent most of the last two decades working in the same building. My first 10 years, we had fire alarms set off at least twice a year because of unattended popcorn, toast and at least once because someone was vacuuming. Haven't had a false-alarm in years. I doubt it's because the tenants are smarter (and most of them have turned over multiple times) so now thinking about it I'm pretty sure that our fire detection system is probably unplugged.

Good thing the building was designed and built by an architect who was enamored with those brutalist telco hubs that were designed to survive nuclear war.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Pretty sure that's all you really need anyway, even if you will likely just whack it to max and try time it super carefully instead of being sensible.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arquinsiel posted:

Pretty sure that's all you really need anyway, even if you will likely just whack it to max and try time it super carefully instead of being sensible.

Who's max and why are you so attracted to him?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Who's max and why are you so attracted to him?

Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster, and you are a fool if you are not attracted

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's better than anything I could come up with. I was struggling to get a good joke out of the time Homer renamed himself "Max Power" or the character Kat Dennings played on 2 Broke Girls...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

Staff Sergeant Max Fightmaster, and you are a fool if you are not attracted

His name is Maxamillion Maxwell Powers, and you'd love him too baby, those hips go to 11.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

potato of destiny posted:

apparently a couple of people did changes 'without adequately communicating the impact to our end users' so guess what everyone gets to spend the next three loving weeks doing

One three week long CAB meeting?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

That's better than anything I could come up with. I was struggling to get a good joke out of the time Homer renamed himself "Max Power" or the character Kat Dennings played on 2 Broke Girls...

Yeah. Max Fightmaster is real :swoon:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/max-fightmaster-6586a576/

I also just learned that we have a Rad Heroman serving our fine nation.

https://www.wafb.com/story/12855307/marine-enjoys-one-of-the-coolest-names-ever/

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

What kind of company are you working for? In most places a "bottom level" employee never even sees a C level, let alone has any input into company policy.

My desk is directly across the hall from my CISO.

fake edit: I didn't notice the 'bottom level' part

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your FDR testing should be writing "it is dead" times the number of phones and calling it a day.
Dumb question: what does FDR stand for?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Macaroni posted:

With only the posts in this thread as context my first instinct is "full device reliability".

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Hey, we had a microwave during the early 80's that had buttons.

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I have a lovely little microwave in my room like that. I actually kinda prefer that. It's annoying when you have something cooking while you're working on something else, then it beeps when it's done. Then beeps a few seconds later to remind you, rinse and repeat. This little microwave with dials just does a single 'ding'. That's it, no nagging to retrieve your food.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Macaroni posted:

Factory Data Reset.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone here use MS Forms and deploy a Flow with Docusign to gather electronic signatures? If so, may I pick your brain or see your sanitized code, pretty please?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
- On Phone with O365 support
- MS Tech's computer automatically reboots itself
- Call also drops because softphones

Good job Microsoft

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dragonshardz posted:

Factory Data Reset.
Thanks!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

klosterdev posted:

- On Phone with O365 support
- MS Tech's computer automatically reboots itself
- Call also drops because softphones

Good job Microsoft

My favorite was when we were working with MSFT Support, and they asked for an output of the client's config, so I sent it.

They replied, "Huh. Never seen it do THAT before."

:ohno:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My favorite was when we were working with MSFT Support, and they asked for an output of the client's config, so I sent it.

They replied, "Huh. Never seen it do THAT before."

:ohno:

sounds like a good tech to me. at least he was honest. did they fix it?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

RFC2324 posted:

sounds like a good tech to me. at least he was honest. did they fix it?

Not really, but we did end up finding a bug that they needed to fix in Defender in the process, so it ended up being beneficial to everyone in the end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When I was in Xbox support there were issues that could render a user's Xbox LIVE account unrecoverable. The KB article for the issue simply said "this happens sometimes. We don't know why" :negative:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

When I was in Xbox support there were issues that could render a user's Xbox LIVE account unrecoverable. The KB article for the issue simply said "this happens sometimes. We don't know why" :negative:

yeah, that sounds like the KBs for xbox support

this was before they started hiring literal homeless people to man the phones lol

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CitizenKain posted:

I had a talk with the people in charge of this, and said it was easy to have 2 people verify a drive has been removed. Log everything, keep track of drives, extremely easy to do, and its not like a lot of those people who do that are busy. They said that they still couldn't be sure, because what if someone makes a mistake. Just jaw dropping stupidity.

We've got someone who's dedicated position is logging in all the dead, retired, or refreshed computers and wiping them. Then the live machines go for donation, and the dead ones go to a recycler.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

this was before they started hiring literal homeless people to man the phones lol
I'm in Dublin. Being homeless here just means you couldn't find three other people to split a house with.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I don't see this as anything but good and if this comment has any basis in reality, good for them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

I don't see this as anything but good and if this comment has any basis in reality, good for them.

I'm hoping the joke is that it's one of those work from home call centers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

You are about to get dogpiled and probably for good reason.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone knows that if you've ever been homeless you are automatically unqualified for any job for the rest of your life. It's in the Constitution!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

Everyone knows that if you've ever been homeless you are automatically unqualified for any job for the rest of your life.
don't tell my CEO please

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

You are about to get dogpiled and probably for good reason.

Possibly. I guarantee they weren't being hired as a charity thing, however. It was in Texas.

And having spent a couple years homeless when I was younger, the rampant drug use is a good reason to be leery of hiring from them as a pool, and based on the reports from people who were still there when that happened was exactly the major problem. I heard stories of people shooting up at their desks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A dude I worked with in Xbox support turned up on Christmas day coked out of his mind, fell asleep in his chair for four hours and then woke up and sprinted out of the building. Nobody cared. I'm sure the people shooting up will be fine.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Arquinsiel posted:

A dude I worked with in Xbox support turned up on Christmas day coked out of his mind, fell asleep in his chair for four hours and then woke up and sprinted out of the building. Nobody cared. I'm sure the people shooting up will be fine.

I mean, one of my team leads in the phone center was also the team weed dealer before Oregon had recreational legality. And he was a Stream refugee (we rescued a lot of them).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

thats actually awesome and hilarious, assuming it was just a "I LOVE CHRISTMAS" thing and not a "I LOVE COCAINE!!!" thing

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Possibly. I guarantee they weren't being hired as a charity thing, however. It was in Texas.

And having spent a couple years homeless when I was younger, the rampant drug use is a good reason to be leery of hiring from them as a pool, and based on the reports from people who were still there when that happened was exactly the major problem. I heard stories of people shooting up at their desks.

I've never done drugs in my life but if I had to do Xbox Live support I'd probably start.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, a friend of mine there told his doctor what he was doing and got a prescription for xanax "just in case". Mentioned the company name and the doctor took back the prescription and gave him one for a double strength pill...

RFC2324 posted:

thats actually awesome and hilarious, assuming it was just a "I LOVE CHRISTMAS" thing and not a "I LOVE COCAINE!!!" thing
Probably both TBH.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Carth Dookie posted:

I've never done drugs in my life but if I had to do Xbox Live support I'd probably start.

I already smoked a bunch of weed and had my own share of untreated mental illness, I only did it for like 6 months.

It was an outsourcer that MS had already cancelled like 3 contracts with before giving them xbox 360 support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

not a lot since the polio struck