Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Now I am become Florida Man

for a couple weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I too am OTW to Florida to see that drat mouse.

:homebrew:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Coming down to Kissimmee in February, gonna be next-door neighbors with the mouse (sitting on the balcony watching his fireworks for free).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tremek posted:

Celebrated day 1 of no rabies by taking my oldest wheeling with another Goon:

This is a good post and looks totally sweet. The desire for a 200 is strong and I suspect I will only be able to hold out for another year or so before doing the needful. RE: front seat riding TECHNICALLY you are off road so you could say that off road rules apply. I have let my kid ride up front when we were out on a (slow) trail. Can confirm that they are definitely happier co-piloting. You should post your adventures in my thread, I am cool with it becoming the de facto hangout for trail running and Toyota stuff

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Dallas Tornado 2019 hit one of the sister stores of my employer (a subsidiary that caters to the higher end clientele). Not as bad as the Home Depot that's been all over TV, but I've heard it was hit hard.

I threw my hat into the ring to travel up there to help out. I have no idea if my boss will approve it or not, but if they do, it's a paid trip to/from Dallas with per-diem for hotel and meals, and IIRC it's all treated as overtime instead of regular pay when there's a natural disaster. Also means I can help a friend who has damage to his house with any free time I have. I don't know how bad the damage is to the store yet (I had no idea until it popped up on the news an hour ago, but it's bad enough that the store is closed "indefinitely" - it's their first store in DFW, and it's a flagship, so I'm sure they want to get it reopened ASAP).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Before I start throwing parts at this thing... 2000 VW Golf TDI losing coolant and I can't figure out where it's leaving the system. Oil looks good so I doubt it's going in there. No drips underneath the car or wet areas in the engine bay. Low enough the coolant light turns on when I start it but by the time I'm out of the parking lot or down a hill it goes off. Was slow at around 12oz every 3-4 months but now it's picked up, put in 12oz on October 1st and the low coolant light came on Friday 10/18. Need to figure out before it gets any worse.
- Pressure cap good?
- Leaking from water pump, but only when running?
- Head gasket issue, but into cylinder and not oilways?

IIRC there's a hose underneath the casting that has the water heating elements in the top of it, little hard to see underneath of, could be that?

I think there should be a water-oil cooler on the front of the block, but would expect evidence of a leak (or oil contamination) if it were that.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Lord Stimperor posted:

Finding a mechanic won't be a problem since I live in Euroland, and from what I read it's easier to get stuff fixed here compared to the US. My girlfriend and I came up with the idea to rent a W124 for a weekend so I can get it out of my system. Problem is there's a small chance it'd make me want one more.
Make sure it's 2.0 N/A diesel with 4 speed manual and you'll certainly not want one, unless you're insane.

That said, the lesser models are quite simple and reliable. On the other hand, they have interesting engineering solutions. My friend has one with over 500k and his parents has another one with 400k, all "base" model diesels with manuals. The auto box is sooo much better and suits the car better, it's going to be slow and to be honest, Mercedes hasn't done good manual uh, ever.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Enjoy a lovely, shaky, unfocused and shot in portrait mode (snapchat refuses to ever change to landscape) of the Formula Ford starting for the first time since December - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlyKeUQq0oE Has a hanging high idle and higher than I'd like to see oil pressure but it fired right up and sounded as good as a dinky Ford 1.6L can sound. This week it's fine tune ride height, corner balance, align, pour a seat and mount the new fire bottle. Shakedown Saturday at the kart track.

Coooool. Make it road legal? :getin:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

InitialDave posted:

- Pressure cap good?
- Leaking from water pump, but only when running?
- Head gasket issue, but into cylinder and not oilways?

IIRC there's a hose underneath the casting that has the water heating elements in the top of it, little hard to see underneath of, could be that?

I think there should be a water-oil cooler on the front of the block, but would expect evidence of a leak (or oil contamination) if it were that.

Went to top off the coolant today, found something that probably shouldn't be floating around in the tank. Have a new expansion tank on the way. Might not fix it but it won't hurt anything to replace it. Might drain a little coolant while I'm in there and check it for oil. Water pump is very possible, have to get it on the lift to see if I can see anything from below.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Babby did his first toilet supply line replacement today. Old one started leaking again so I cut off the valve and used a sharkbite style replacement.

No leaks!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Babby did his first toilet supply line replacement today. Old one started leaking again so I cut off the valve and used a sharkbite style replacement.

No leaks!

Good luck. Shark bites are a last-resort for me. On toilet valves, I cut off the old junk, solder on a threaded fitting, and use threaded valves. If it ever leaks again, it's as simple as shutting off the main valve and replacing the valve.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

They're pretty reliable if installed properly but I would preferebly replace with a SS braided line.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

My toy for the day

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The line up to the tank is braided ss. And if it leaks I'm only out $13 for the part. I dont think I'm skilled enough to do a copper job so that would fall to a plumber.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The line up to the tank is braided ss. And if it leaks I'm only out $13 for the part. I dont think I'm skilled enough to do a copper job so that would fall to a plumber.

Copper jobs are easy. Just use some emery cloth on the the pipe to make sure it's clean. Then apply flux, join, heat, and apply solder. It flashes around the joint and seals.

You can only screw it up by not cleaning the surfaces of the pipes or overheating it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Deteriorata posted:

Copper jobs are easy. Just use some emery cloth on the the pipe to make sure it's clean. Then apply flux, join, heat, and apply solder. It flashes around the joint and seals.

You can only screw it up by not cleaning the surfaces of the pipes or overheating it.

Or not draining the line.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Kivi posted:

Make sure it's 2.0 N/A diesel with 4 speed manual and you'll certainly not want one, unless you're insane.

That said, the lesser models are quite simple and reliable. On the other hand, they have interesting engineering solutions. My friend has one with over 500k and his parents has another one with 400k, all "base" model diesels with manuals. The auto box is sooo much better and suits the car better, it's going to be slow and to be honest, Mercedes hasn't done good manual uh, ever.

I mean these cars were made to hog the middle lane at 100 km/h by bespectacled dads (or was that just mine?), they wouldn't benefit from a manual anyway.

I probably couldn't even afford it if I wanted to. If it's a diesel, taxes will be murderous. Getting it roadworthy again will be thousands. But I still get weird feelings when walking past it.

I'll drop a note in the owners letterbox. Maybe he will dissuade me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fridge corn posted:

My toy for the day

the red looks super washed out but that is cool

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

fridge corn posted:

My toy for the day

Looks old enough to be from the Dino(saur) age

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fridge corn posted:

My toy for the day

Are those considered Ferraris now? There was a time where they were completely overlooked because of their heritage.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fridge corn posted:

My toy for the day

Nice, my dad's workplace in the early 80s had a blue one that dad would borrow every so often to pick me up from kindergarten. Before something failed in it and spent most its time at the front of the workshop.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

If it decides to leak and you're not home it will cost you way more than $13.

But I'm a glass half empty kind of guy

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

They're pretty reliable if installed properly but I would preferebly replace with a SS braided line.

I did both! A Shark-bite valve with a braided SS supply line to the tank preinstalled.
No leaks in several years (yet.)

Deteriorata posted:

Soldering isn't difficult, but soldering under the tank, with a cabinet close in on that side, and a wall on the other, is a pain in the everything. Cut, clean, sharkbite.
That said, if I ever remodel the bathroom, I will solder on a threaded fitting when I have room.

Also, nth-ing making sure it's clean. That one bit me on a water main out in the yard. I didn't get a mirror down in the hole to check the bottom of the line after I cleaned it, and I had missed a spot, which leaked, and I had to cut it all out and do it again, in freezing cold, a foot down in a hole. And ran out of propane on a Sunday night after all the home stores had closed. Did you know that Walmart will sell you the torch head, the solder, emery cloth, pipe wrench, and pretty much everything but the actual goddamned propane? I do now. Assholes. Fortunately I was able to get it done with some MAPP and the one stick of ancient SolidOX I had left.

edit: Kastein taught me how to solder copper pipe via the forum, too! Thankfully, I already knew how to solder wiring/electronics, and it's not much different from that. The key is: CLEAN!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

My toy for the day

Even with the OEM style tyres. Old, stock, in close to showroom condition? Thats my fetish :D

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d check the coolant lines. I had a leak like that because I routed the line poorly and melted a pinhole in it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

If it decides to leak and you're not home it will cost you way more than $13.

Reference meatpimp v. dishwasher drain.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

angryrobots posted:

I too am OTW to Florida to see that drat mouse.

:homebrew:

I'm near the mouse but stuck in Turbine Hell this week and next.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:siren: :frogsiren: HEY YOU :frogsiren: :siren:

:siren: :frogsiren: YES YOU, THE ONE READING :frogsiren: :siren:

:siren: :frogsiren: QUIT PICKING YOUR loving NOSE YOU WEIRDO :frogsiren: :siren:

:siren: :frogsiren: ALSO :frogsiren: :siren:

:siren: :frogsiren: SOMEONE VOLUNTEER TO RUN AI:SS OR THERE WON'T BE ANY CHRISTMAS FOR ALL THE GOOD BOYS AND GIRLS OF AI :frogsiren: :siren:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Oh shi- what part of central florida are you in?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

:siren: :frogsiren: SOMEONE VOLUNTEER TO RUN AI:SS OR THERE WON'T BE ANY CHRISTMAS FOR ALL THE GOOD BOYS AND GIRLS OF AI :frogsiren: :siren:

Slothrop already did :colbert:. If you need more volunteers I think I could work a spreadsheet.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Staying near Sea World working in Sky Lake

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Elmnt80 posted:

You didn't ask, but Lake Placid

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Watch out for gator.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Local pd is selling a 2013 charger with 110k miles and cam / lifter issues with the 5.7. That's a great idea, right?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

Local pd is selling a 2013 charger with 110k miles and cam / lifter issues with the 5.7. That's a great idea, right?

Not really, well maybe if its like $1500 and you have a lot of time and want to put something mean in its place and do burnouts.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

QuarkMartial posted:

Watch out for gator.

I'm more concerned about the dogs.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

slothrop posted:

This seemed to get buried at bit, sorry if it's been resolved already.

If no-one else is able to do it, I'm happy to give it a go. I think AI:SS is an amazing tradition and you don't gently caress with tradition!

I'm a bit worried about trying to run it from the rear end end of the world though, if there is anyone in the US who thinks they will have the time, please speak up.

You'll be fine running it from anywhere, really. I just really don't have the time to do it this year due to work schedule and personal obligations. PM me when you're ready to start the thread and I will give you the rundown of how I did the matching and give you last year's match list so people don't have repeat santas/santees.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

I will think about you while on The Teacup Ride

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Staying near Sea World working in Sky Lake

If you have any time off Wekiwa Springs state park is nearby, check that out instead of the tourist trap poo poo.

[e] or Cape Canaveral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

angryrobots posted:

I will think about you while on The Teacup Ride

Enjoy visiting Florida for more than few hours at like 3 in the morning this time!

Let me know if you want any food recommendations while in the area, there's a lot of great non-chain stuff near Disney.