Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

HERE LIES WHATS-HIS-NAME

HE DIED SO THAT WE MAY PUBLISH

The mantra of graduate school in chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BIG HEADLINE posted:

HERE LIES MISTER OUCHI V2

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

HERE LIES WHATS-HIS-NAME

P.S. THE BODY IS SEVERELY RADIOACTIVE AND SHOULD NOT BE DUG UP FOR AT LEAST 40,000 YEARS

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I consider radioactivity an illegal action in chemistry, it allows you to break all sorts of bonds without following the normal rules of chemistry. It should not be allowed in competitive play.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

I consider radioactivity an illegal action in chemistry, it allows you to break all sorts of bonds without following the normal rules of chemistry. It should not be allowed in competitive play.

Very on brand for you, child of hydrocarbon combustion.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

GWBBQ posted:

P.S. THE BODY IS SEVERELY RADIOACTIVE AND SHOULD NOT BE DUG UP FOR AT LEAST 40,000 YEARS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tO0xwSsco&t=50s

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

GWBBQ posted:

In that time the bacteria will mutate and gain intelligence, launching all all-out assault on the immune systems of whatever is left on the earth!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's a game breaker for thermo too

It's practically free energy, at least compared to fossil fuel

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Saw a truck with 2810 on it.

Or most if not all chemical weapons :ohno:

also not specified organic toxic substances and weed killers, which would make sense given it was a box truck for a local garbage company that was probably hauling household waste from the dropoff site to a proper disposal center.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

iospace posted:

Saw a truck with 2810 on it.

Or most if not all chemical weapons :ohno:

also not specified organic toxic substances and weed killers, which would make sense given it was a box truck for a local garbage company that was probably hauling household waste from the dropoff site to a proper disposal center.

I mean, all the 2-letter nerve agents are also really good pesticides. Turns out anything with nerves can get its poo poo disrupted (to death, even) by loving with their PNS and CNS chemically.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Great War chemical weapon chloropicrin made supermarket strawberries possible.

It makes a good nematicide.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The Great War chemical weapon chloropicrin made supermarket strawberries possible.

It makes a good nematicide.

"Quiet, wash eyes, warmth" ???

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Probably the state-of-the-art medical treatment in 1916

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What the hell does flypaper smell like?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

packetmantis posted:

Chlorpicrin

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
A characteristic odor.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

packetmantis posted:

Slightly sweet and waxy.

it's not exact but picture the hot wax from a candle and molasses.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I heard you guys like plutonium and nitric acid so I put some plutonium in your nitric acid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sh5XZo5wRE

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Arglebargle III posted:

I heard you guys like plutonium and nitric acid so I put some plutonium in your nitric acid.

OK, I just need some neptunium as a starter kit and.. uranium to build a nuclear reactor for neutron activation. Easy peacy.

(BTW the neutron fluxes on that reactor must be insane)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That video features a man named Bob Wham.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bongo Bill posted:

That video features a man named Bob Wham.

Who works with Plutonium. Which means I get to reference nominative determinism!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Duodecimal posted:

A characteristic odor.

:hmmyes:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Quiet, wash eyes, warmth" ???

it's a tear gas, not something lethal, so getting them off the battlefield, washing their eyes and putting a blanket over them seems about right for treatment :shrug:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

One of the fun ones that also cause vomiting - which supposedly had some use in making soldiers remove their gas masks to puke.

I'll stick to CS, thank you.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/pci0SEa.gifv

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

The red one is definitely from Lithium but not sure about the green. Copper, maybe? I haven't had to do a flame ion test since high school.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
In keeping with all things :supaburn:, have some Oxyacetalene Bubble Explosions caught at 330,000fps in Matrix-vision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9XandILnvk

Note: Volume warning, of sorts.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Live-action SS13 looking good.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Intoluene posted:

The red one is definitely from Lithium but not sure about the green. Copper, maybe? I haven't had to do a flame ion test since high school.

Yeah copper or some barium salt.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hard to say though a camera. Copper is more blue, barium is more yellow.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s orthoboric acid.

That’s roach powder he pours in the second extinguisher.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

MrYenko posted:

It’s orthoboric acid.

Do you think you could rub some of this powder on my lips?

:nms: :nms: :nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIAnSaInWe8&t=71s

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Fifty-ton shipping cask built at Oak Ridge National Laboratory which can transport up to 1 gram of 252Cf.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

Fifty-ton shipping cask built at Oak Ridge National Laboratory which can transport up to 1 gram of 252Cf.

My thoughts: "Cf? I do not recognize that symbol right away... " *googles* "...oh. Oh. OH."

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Hot

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

It’s orthoboric acid.

Okay, boron can make that green as well so that makes sense.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If pentaborane had made it asa rocket fuel, we could have had some colourful rocket launches.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

darthbob88 posted:

nothing like a 4.536e+7 ratio of container to material contained to make sure poo poo's safe

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

quote:

It has been used in educational applications since 1969 when the Georgia Institute of Technology received a loan of 119 µg of californium-252 from the Savannah River Plant.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What the heck is a “loan” of a highly radioactive element? “Uh, here’s most of your californium back. Sorry it’s not the full 119 micrograms, but here’s some curium for your troubles”?