Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think hogan had creative control over his angles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

But how did he violate the contract? By calling Hogan bald?

His entire post match speech went against what Hogan and Russo agreed to. Calling him bald and the other stuff Russo said was ruled non defamatory. Breaking the terms of Hogan's creative control and then not using him for his remaining dates led to the case vs WCW continuing and eventually being settled. Hogan had a contract and Russo violated it, and then WCW did not live up to it. Hogan was 100% right to sue.

oldpainless posted:

I think hogan had creative control over his angles

By the letter of the contract he had creative control over finishes. But, since you could do an angle to just change a match finish the judge ruled Hogan should also have say over angles affecting his match outcomes or the clause was worthless.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

By the letter of the contract he had creative control over finishes. But, since you could do an angle to just change a match finish the judge ruled Hogan should also have say over angles affecting his match outcomes or the clause was worthless.

so russo actually found a way out of hogan's extremely lovely creative control clause but the hulkster rules lawyer'd his way out of it

it's like wrestling dungeons & dragons

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yinlock posted:

so russo actually found a way out of hogan's extremely lovely creative control clause but the hulkster rules lawyer'd his way out of it

it's like wrestling dungeons & dragons

It also led to Russo getting fired from TNA in 2003 when Hogan pretended to sign to face Jarrett and then "got injured" and went to WWE when he was "recovered."

Hogan is an extremely lovely person but it is cool as heck that he hosed Russo over for the hell of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Related to this, Hogan almost never used his creative control clause in WCW. He wielded power in other ways.

I believe he used it to get out of a pinfall loss to Flair in 94 (Flair would have won with interference, Hogan refused so it became a DQ) at Bash 2000 and also to get the promise that he would end Goldberg's streak in exchange for losing to Goldberg on Nitro. That eventually went led to him and Nash working out an agreement where Nash beat Goldberg but Hogan got the belt back and led the nWo Elite.

Hogan instead got bookers assigned who'd do what he wanted and got in the ear of people. You don't need to use creative control if your buddy is Eric Bischoff and Kevin Sullivan is your personal booker.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

But how did he violate the contract? By calling Hogan bald?
Hogan had creative control written into his contract. He used it to be an rear end in a top hat, and we can hate him for being a dick, but Russo overruled his creative control, violating his contract.

Nobody should have given him that contract, but he's not wrong to use it and management were entirely in the wrong to attempt to supersede it. Bischoff left over it too.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Hogan had creative control written into his contract. He used it to be an rear end in a top hat, and we can hate him for being a dick, but Russo overruled his creative control, violating his contract.

Nobody should have given him that contract, but he's not wrong to use it and management were entirely in the wrong to attempt to supersede it. Bischoff left over it too.

p. sure bischoff left because he was all-in on hogan rather than any kind of moral stand

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Still glad they never were able to make a Yokozuna signing so Hogan couldn't get the win back.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Still glad they never were able to make a Yokozuna signing so Hogan couldn't get the win back.

i like how hogan eventually became too lazy to even bother getting his own wins back, he made nash do it for him

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

what if Hogan and Russo are both terrible people who were both in the wrong

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

rujasu posted:

what if Hogan and Russo are both terrible people who were both in the wrong

tie goes to the runner labor

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

tie goes to the runner labor

Neither of them owned WCW (though both believed they ran the show) so that doesn't really work. Also, again, they're both pretty terrible and were pretty terrible in this particular instance, it is not a race where we have to crown one of them the winner.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

rujasu posted:

Neither of them owned WCW (though both believed they ran the show) so that doesn't really work. Also, again, they're both pretty terrible and were pretty terrible in this particular instance, it is not a race where we have to crown one of them the winner.

Eh Hogans a dick still, but also, gently caress management. They are the tool of the owners.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Everybody involved in this situation was awful and the situation was awful and the company deserved to die by putting these turds in a position where this situation could even happen.
The idea that there was apparently no caveat in Hogan's contract where he could be told 'no' is just...ugh.
Either Bischoff had zero forward vision or he saw WCW as a smash-and-grab operation from the very beginning.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Solidarity against management is good, but LOL at the idea that Hogan and Nash were on the labour side of that equation in late WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Solidarity against management is good, but LOL at the idea that Hogan and Nash were on the labour side of that equation in late WCW.

Nash was also management.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No, Nash was a cool awesome genius who courageously liberated millions of dollars from Billionaire Ted, all in the name of the working man.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChrisBTY posted:

Everybody involved in this situation was awful and the situation was awful and the company deserved to die by putting these turds in a position where this situation could even happen.
The idea that there was apparently no caveat in Hogan's contract where he could be told 'no' is just...ugh.
Either Bischoff had zero forward vision or he saw WCW as a smash-and-grab operation from the very beginning.

nah, Hogan was a net positive the vast majority of his WCW career, going by buyrates and money drawn.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

No, Nash was a cool awesome genius who courageously liberated millions of dollars from Billionaire Ted, all in the name of the working man.

this, but unironically

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

The former. He had one big idea, and when it inevitably went stale, he kept wrapping wet paper towels around it and putting it back in the microwave.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Which went on and was worse, all the forms of The Authority or all the nWo groups?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Which went on and was worse, all the forms of The Authority or all the nWo groups?
The Authority went on for 3 years (iirc it ended at the brand split) and sucked the entire time. nWo went on for I guess around the same time and was cool for a year

The best thing about the Authority was J&J security. Apparently WWE is good at retired wrestlers being heel stooges

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nWo felt a lot longer than that.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 23, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Randaconda posted:

nah, Hogan was a net positive the vast majority of his WCW career, going by buyrates and money drawn.

Hogan was a poison pill. He gave that company a present at the expense of any possible future.
Of course WCW probably would have mismanaged itself to oblivion regardless of his influence.
But you'd think by the time the nWo was tapped out for a year and business started going down they could have not snapped their spines bending over backwards to give Hogan everything he wanted.

(They re-upped his contract at the end of 99' right?)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Hogan was a poison pill. He gave that company a present at the expense of any possible future.
Of course WCW probably would have mismanaged itself to oblivion regardless of his influence.
But you'd think by the time the nWo was tapped out for a year and business started going down they could have not snapped their spines bending over backwards to give Hogan everything he wanted.

(They re-upped his contract at the end of 99' right?)

His contract came due in January of 1998 which would have been the perfect time to not re-sign him or at least say "Ok, we'll re-sign you but no creative control."

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I remember in Bischoff's book he defended WCW's entrenched glass ceiling by saying 'the only stars in wrestling are established stars.'
Do you think he ever realized what a dumb idea this was? This is the philosophy of a man who does not understand the linear progression of time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

His contract came due in January of 1998 which would have been the perfect time to not re-sign him or at least say "Ok, we'll re-sign you but no creative control."

imagine if WCW didn't re-up Hogan's contract and he went back to WWF just in time for Wrestlemania 14

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ChrisBTY posted:

I remember in Bischoff's book he defended WCW's entrenched glass ceiling by saying 'the only stars in wrestling are established stars.'
Do you think he ever realized what a dumb idea this was? This is the philosophy of a man who does not understand the linear progression of time.

Bischoff is a goddamn idiot that somehow managed to hoodwink Turner's execs into paying for motorcycle vacations and sleeping with his underling's wives.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think Bischoff had some forward-thinking ideas that were terribly executed. Like, leveraging the resources of Turner's network to promote WCW was a good idea. But Cactus Jack, Amnesiac Sailor Man looked like it was made by people who would've been kicked off the set of Blood Diner.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

I think Bischoff had some forward-thinking ideas that were terribly executed. Like, leveraging the resources of Turner's network to promote WCW was a good idea. But Cactus Jack, Amnesiac Sailor Man looked like it was made by people who would've been kicked off the set of Blood Diner.

from the way Kevin Sullivan made it sound, by the time he got the book, Eric was fairly hands off unless it was one of his projects, like nWo stuff. That's why a lot of the undercard matches still hold up to this day.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Alaois posted:

imagine if WCW didn't re-up Hogan's contract and he went back to WWF just in time for Wrestlemania 14

Vince had just let Bret Hart go because he couldn't afford the contract AND had just spent big on Tyson. Hogan didn't have anywhere else to go

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nitro would still be on the air if Jericho didn't go to WCW first.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Vince had just let Bret Hart go because he couldn't afford the contract AND had just spent big on Tyson. Hogan didn't have anywhere else to go

you don't think Vince wouldn't have found money for the Hulkster, jack?

lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

According to Dave business had turned around for Vince to afford Bret's contract and Vince also was talking to Hulk too

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

ChrisBTY posted:

Bischoff is very intelligent but also criminally stupid. It's pretty fascinating.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s especially loving dumb because he himself was in charge when Goldberg went from 0-Megastar in like 6 months

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

goldberg was only "wrestling over"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Business turned around in the fall of 97 when the PPV revenue from the IYH price hikes came in. I don't think they'd outbid WCW for Hogan after paying Tyson, but it's possible they might. Of course they didn't have Tyson signed when he appeared at the Royal Rumble so maybe they decide Hogan is more valuable?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What would WWE even DO with Hogan at that time? I have doubts Austin would work with him unless it was somehow ironclad that Austin got to beat the poo poo out of Hogan who would never get his win back and if they don't pull the trigger on Austin or treat him like the top of the wrestling world as they did, what even happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What would WWE even DO with Hogan at that time? I have doubts Austin would work with him unless it was somehow ironclad that Austin got to beat the poo poo out of Hogan who would never get his win back and if they don't pull the trigger on Austin or treat him like the top of the wrestling world as they did, what even happens?

Hogan was still a huge loving name. They would have found something.