Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Johnny Aztec posted:

Thanks to that strip, I had added "pickles on parade" to my choice of phrases.

That, “rough chuckles,” and “Thermometer Lane” are permanent additions to the vocab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ullerrm posted:

That, “rough chuckles,” and “Thermometer Lane” are permanent additions to the vocab.

"Gruesome Little Curls" is still my favorite

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I got a big package of chicken thighs for $4 so I made the fried chicken recipe. It's good! The skins crisped up nicely. I usually like a bit thicker breading/flour on my fried chicken, but for homemade it's drat good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zereth posted:

It's "place by the intersection", which I was assuming meant it was a mexican restaurant because it was just after a taqueria

EDIT: it might also be a bar

You know what? I let science chop off my dick last night, my mind is all over the place

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09102008

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Perfect Friends.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Taco Bell is now serving DUDEMEAL, a special meal for dudes at eleven PM!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Normally, I wouldn't call that lucky, no. No one in science would.

PS I got shot by Ray again

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

oh man that is a bad sign

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ullerrm posted:

I'm also a fan of "rough chuckles" and also "Peel Out Summer" and "Banned in seven states"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

I'm also a fan of "rough chuckles" and also "Peel Out Summer" and "Banned in seven states"

"[X] so bad it made the news" for me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
Apparently, Blue Nun really was a wine so bad that it made the news.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
"He folded with a focus and intensity normally seen only in successes" is a phrase that has come in handy every once in a while.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
Wicked sack

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
He said "human being" the way old time telegrams say stop.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Thanks to that strip, I had added "pickles on parade" to my choice of phrases.

I do have an irreversible habit of quixotically capitalizing words and terms to the mystification of most people I happen to be texting with. "You capitalize like a serial killer," I have been told in No Uncertain Terms.

Speaking of pickles, "make pickles" as a euphemism for incontinence is a pretty handy term to have in mixed company. You know, not often. But, sometimes.

In terms of other Achewoodisms that have annexed significant swaths of my lexicon, I would be remiss not to cop to having directly informed friends and acquaintances that "you dis my dog you fluff my hog."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What!? What did you just say!?! :mad:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Apparently, Blue Nun really was a wine so bad that it made the news.

Reminisce Magazine is a real thing too, which is horrifying.

"Dang, man, a Jehovah's Witness. Let me get the hose."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ullerrm posted:

I used to read it when I was like 11-12. No, I don't have any idea why.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I have a bad uncle that always brought Blue Nun to Thanksgiving

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

What!? What did you just say!?! :mad:

Milklin!
♩He's the guy...♪♬
♫Who's about to get...♬
...kicked out of his religion! ♩ ♩♭

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
All the dopeman did was not marry Strawberry.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

All the dopeman did was not marry Strawberry.

"Ray misremembers his NWA" is the load-carrying piece of that particular alt text, IMO.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

tzirean posted:

"Ray misremembers his NWA" is the load-carrying piece of that particular alt text, IMO.

extremely agreed.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
also:

THE HOSE!

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
the concept of doing cocaine “at” someone is a useful achewoodism

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Don't say cocaine ideas near this kid! It's his birthday, fool!

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
that little boy thinks for all the world that he is drinking king piss

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

alt: "It is pretty hard to tell a nine year old child that they are dead. It is pretty sad."

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 23, 2019

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

ullerrm posted:

"Dang, man, a Jehovah's Witness. Let me get the hose."

Onstad's policy of always evoking an extremely specific brand of thing really does enhance the comedic and/or depressing verisimilitude of a scenario.

Ray doesn't regard Beef's teenage, supine form through just any pair of sunglasses; he does so through "some brand new tortoiseshell Vuarnets."

Arachnea Gehenna's (from high school times) Senior page had a date and time stamp showing, revealing her photo in a grave yard to have been taken as like 7:35 PM, which ain't exactly too petrifying of an hour (no sir, not exactly the witching hour); not because she couldn't work her camera, it's because she couldn't work her Nikon.

And of course, what "scene" of a retired band teacher with a self-inflicted gunshot wound be half as poignant without a bottle of Christian Brothers Brandy and an unopened Safeway roast turkey @$1.29/lb?

Moe_Rahn posted:

that little boy thinks for all the world that he is drinking king piss

Kids like dinosaurs and tractors and stuff.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Related, but not as frequently occasioned, the notion that a dude might enjoy "getting his leech on."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lemma posted:

Onstad's policy of always evoking an extremely specific brand of thing really does enhance the comedic and/or depressing verisimilitude of a scenario.

This is really well-observed and there are a lot of great examples of this.

This is all from one strip.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

"Corliss was faster for all of the wrong reasons." is one of those ones that didn't hit me until about an hour later.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Oh my god yes. I guess that observation should be expanded to include specific titles/professions, as well as his storied culinary fluency. (Though that’s more Onstad’s personal interest looming large in his fiction.) But for some reason, I always loved that strip where Ray spends like five panels ordering consomme a la bohemian and tournedos bordelais, even before we get to the punchline of Showbiz’s dinner. It’s an oddly relaxing read.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I like to use name brands of stuff when making this sandwich. Name brands are important to a kid. It makes everything taste better to them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
At times the specificity bogged things down, mainly when Cornelius became a walking thesaurus.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

At times the specificity bogged things down, mainly when Cornelius became a walking thesaurus.

Yeah, Connie-isms gradually became prolix and convoluted to the point of being structurally unsound. Chalk it up to him finally getting senility. Dude needs Activities.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sound effects were also usually good, like the ones for Cartilage Head's car or the boot of one of the members of the Tenmen stepping on gravel. It's a comic for people who like detail

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lemma posted:

Dude needs Activities.

I've moved his laptop over here. What will he do?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
What is his DECISION?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lemma posted:

In terms of other Achewoodisms that have annexed significant swaths of my lexicon, I would be remiss not to cop to having directly informed friends and acquaintances that "you dis my dog you fluff my hog."

I have definitely referred to a couple of people as “a crappy little bullshit man” in several instances, that one gets some use outta me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

This is one of my favorite Achewood strips, I think as much as it's easy to look back on some of the dated elements of the series and be like "huh," I think Roast Beef is a super well-realized character and a really fantastic vehicle for Ontad's spot-on and bleak stuff about the American city and town as, like, haunted landscapes where weird characters like the guy dictating to RB just float around with only the most provisional and contingent connections to the rest of the world and anybody in it.

This intersects with his knack for writing food too-- as good as he is at gourmet stuff, I love how intimately and viscerally he gets cheap fast food and crummy little "wipe-down" chains. The line about the "folded over" top on the KFC Corliss has is incredible and conveys so much not only about how the characters' class informs their relationship to food, but about how little sharp moments of sense detail lodge themselves in the brain for decades. Like, of course the folded over top, of course that carried through to the little black narration panel of recollection.