Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Hypothetically, if you really loved F76, isn't the subscription technically offering you a version of the game that's inferior to what's already out? The unlimited stash is...ok? But you have way less available players and zero world persistence. That second one is the primary reason people want private servers to begin with. I'm trying really hard to see this from an angle of "ok well I don't have to like it but maybe this is a good deal for some people".

I think a decent amount of the people who are actually renting these servers are actually attracted to the fact that they are private.My guess is that the people actually paying for this wanted basically exactly what its offering: Fallout 76 Singleplayer edition, which seems like an excruciatingly lovely prospect. The atoms and the stash are just a bonus from what I can tell.

chaosapiant posted:

Instead they waited over a year to introduce a version of private servers that are not really private, they just give you a bit more control over who plays with you. It's a weird choice that seems scientifically designed to have people scratching their heads.

and by a bit its really a bit. the only way you can control who gets in and out is through your friends list lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mantis42 posted:

He's like the Mysterious Stranger. He shows up where he's needed.

is he really needed at a Nazi forum about rpgs cause that seems to be where he shows up

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

is he really needed at a Nazi forum about rpgs cause that seems to be where he shows up

Is Twitter the nazi forum you're talking about, or is he a member of an actual nazi forum?

e:lol if he posts on NMA

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NofrikinfuN posted:

Is Twitter the nazi forum you're talking about, or is he a member of an actual nazi forum?

e:lol if he posts on NMA

They're talking about RPGCodex iirc

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zore posted:

you do rc

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Never visited RPGCodex but literally every nerd space with white guys is going to have some alt right infiltrators.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/10/24/fallout-76s-premium-private-servers-are-not-private-its-scrap-box-is-deleting-scrap/

fallout-76s-premium-private-servers-are-not-private-its-scrap-box-is-deleting-scrap could also just have been fallout76.txt

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
At this point I just genuinely want to know what the gently caress Bethesda is thinking

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Donovan Trip posted:

At this point I just genuinely want to know what the gently caress Bethesda is thinking

More money for us

gently caress you

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Donovan Trip posted:

"Wonder how we should do the next Skyrim re-release."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

They might as well milk the idiots who have Stockholmed themselves into thinking the game is fun since they've utterly ruined any chance of bringing anyone else back.

Hilariously it seems even those people can see through this one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Another Bill posted:

lol hustle and bustle? Are we talking about the same game?

of the pubic worlds

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Orv posted:

They might as well milk the idiots who have Stockholmed themselves into thinking the game is fun since they've utterly ruined any chance of bringing anyone else back.

Hilariously it seems even those people can see through this one.

this guy's vid did a good job of analyzing their decision making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_7_urh2pcg

basically fallout 76 is a revenue generating stopgap to fund next gen projects while allowing them to devote as few resources as possible via almost exclusively recycled assets

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
people eating out of bethesda's hands so much that they implemented pay-to-lose mechanics and people can't get enough, amazing

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Honestly, how much of Fallout 4 wasn't Radiant quests or Empty Settlements? And of what of the handmade content was memorable except for the excellent USS Constitution quest?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

far harbor was pretty good

and the raiding the drug warehouse quest

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I always get burned out by the base-content of a Bethesda game that I seldom reach the DLC content. I've never joined the Dawnguard or looked for that runaway daughter on Far Harbor.

You should only finish a game when you run out of gameplay, not when you get sick of the gameplay itself.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Honestly, how much of Fallout 4 wasn't Radiant quests or Empty Settlements? And of what of the handmade content was memorable except for the excellent USS Constitution quest?

Fallout 4 at least attempted to have faction based questlines similar to New Vegas. Not nearly as good and done better in Far Harbor, but it took effort. The companions in Fallout 4 also were, I thought, pretty drat good.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fallout 4's world felt much more vast than 76's, even if they claim 76 had the largest map. There's just a whole lot of nothing around, with the landmarks only having the worthwhile stuff. Just flat ground with textures on it and 2D trees made of bad sprites. Basically I think they were hoping that people's CAMPs would fill in some of those spaces, because once you get a location on the map, you're going to want to fast travel from spot to spot. That's probably also why it costs caps to fast travel (and probably some game balancing thing too, sure).

I always get burned out by the base-content of a Bethesda game that I seldom reach the DLC content. I've never joined the Dawnguard or looked for that runaway daughter on Far Harbor.

Far Harbor was great, and gave a lot of backstory to the second best companion, Nick. (Best companion will always be Dogmeat.)

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

He's like the Mysterious Stranger. He shows up where he's needed.

To fridge gays

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Unless you're referring to something new, the Constitution quest was part of the main game.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I couldn’t stand fallout 4 and I felt like a sucker for buying it. It made the plain yogurt that is fallout 3 feel like vanilla yogurt (ie slightly better yogurt) in comparison .

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

mysterious frankie posted:

I couldn’t stand fallout 4 and I felt like a sucker for buying it. It made the plain yogurt that is fallout 3 feel like vanilla yogurt (ie slightly better yogurt) in comparison .

And despite that, F76 is literally F4 with everything remotely good removed. And now you too can play with your friends for the same price as an MMO and your world is persistent...as long as you never log out.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

And despite that, F76 is literally F4 with everything remotely good removed. And now you too can play with your friends for the same price as an MMO and your world is persistent...as long as you never log out.

Well I can’t log out if I never log in, so... I win?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Well I can’t log out if I never log in, so... I win?

If you don't buy or play the game then yes, you are in fact winning.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Taking a moment to give todd the respect that's due for making people pay to play his collecting garbage game, then making them pay for a subscription that gives them the right to have the garbage they collected deleted

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 24, 2019

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I feel like this needs to be reposted, because Fallout 76

IT JUST WORKS

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Looks like someone forgot to buy a domain fallout first: gently caress you!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

If you don't buy or play the game then yes, you are in fact winning.

For once not doing anything work in my favor!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Same, except my brother gave me his used copy for Christmas, it's how I know he hates me.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I know this seems ludicrous because F76 is kind of the endpoint of taking out everything enjoyable about Fallout and you can kind of see the trajectory from when they took over the franchise but 4 is absolutely better than 3. They both have the same problems (stripped down choices and reactivity, very little meaningful RPG skill checks and stupid writing, a dumb main quest) but 4 does most of the good things better? It's just nostalgia talking.

I think its because FNV is much better than both and 3 gets some credit for being part of that era before Todd ruined Fallout by putting minecraft in it or whatever but the vampire family, the original ending where Fawkes tells you to eat poo poo, that DLC that added albino radscorpions with literally like 100k hit points and the Zeta DLC are worse than anything in F4 :colbert:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zore posted:

I’d never heard of this forum but in only 30 seconds of reading I have discovered that The Outer Worlds has a political agenda and is also garbage independently of its politics agenda.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Donovan Trip posted:

Looks like someone forgot to buy a domain fallout first: gently caress you!
They're updating the bottom of the page with more reviews and comment videos.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given that nobody on this thread is actually playing Fallout 76 I will recommend another somewhat-overlooked title published by Bethesda. Sort of like how that Dexter subreddit turned into a Breaking Bad discussion.

The Evil Within 2 is a third-person action-horror game in the vein of Resident Evil 4. You don't need to have played the first game, which is pretty middling, and the story here is otherwise stand-alone and only briefly touches on events from the prior game.

In this game you play a grizzled detective determined to rescue his daughter who is imprisoned by an evil organization. Our hero has to do the bad guy's bidding by exploring a Matrix-like simulation resembling a sleepy American midwest town. Unfortunately the citizens have succumbed to a zombiesque corruption and reality is tearing apart at the seams. Across this 18-hour campaign you will contend with a mad-artist and his creations sculpted out of body-parts, a self-proclaimed preacher who commands an army of flamethrower-priests, and the tragic monster that vomits white-goo everywhere.

Gameplay is third-person with a heavy emphasis on stealth. You've got your pistol, crossbow, shotguns, sniper-rifle, assault-rifle, and flamethrower. You use scrap to upgrade your arsenal and you syringe green-snot out of dead enemies which can somehow improve your base attributes. The standout levels are the two sandbox areas. While the story is linear complete with points-of-no-return (Think Deus Ex) you do get to explore the town on occasion: scavenging for resources, finding upgrades, an uncovering side-stories The one gripe I have is that every collectible is easily missed. I do hope a future horror-game takes this concept further and goes full-Metroid.

The tone is straight-faced but not devoid of cheesy humor, much like Resident Evil. Your worried-father can spend ages having fun in the optional shooting-gallery before concluding he should really get back to that whole "rescuing his daughter" business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zigTx34rpsw

There's also a sick cover of a Duran Duran song.

5/5

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bird with big dick posted:

I’d never heard of this forum but in only 30 seconds of reading I have discovered that The Outer Worlds has a political agenda and is also garbage independently of its politics agenda.

I just looked and noticed that your avatar is, in fact, a big dicked bird. I enjoy these forums at my office job.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

rap music posted:

this guy's vid did a good job of analyzing their decision making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_7_urh2pcg

basically fallout 76 is a revenue generating stopgap to fund next gen projects while allowing them to devote as few resources as possible via almost exclusively recycled assets
Yeah it’s clearly supposed to be an easy profit generator since some of the game’s dev costs came during FO4, and it’s not going to require a lot of staff to just keep it running

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

I just looked and noticed that your avatar is, in fact, a big dicked bird. I enjoy these forums at my office job.

You’re welcome

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

chaosapiant posted:

turn off avatars my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fired from my job at the todd factory