Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serephina posted:

Plantiods care zilch for the actual planet surface itself, their habitability is dependent on the type of star and/or a planet's proximity to it in the system. Boom! Give me my commission.

Cynic Jester posted:

Pop-growth based on the color of the sun, no impact on pop-growth from hab. Bam, done. Just wire the money to my account Paradox.

Except plants care about soil, wind, heat/cold, amount of shade/direct sunlight :confused:

Splicer posted:

Me: should I post my idea about habitability being sun rather than planet based? No that's dumb they'll laugh at me
You're the smart one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I sure hope no one has trypophobia, the third lithoid portrait cuts it close.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I bought the rock people. The DLC is out now by the way.

Also, I just saw the RPS article out today and EIGHTEEEEEEEN goddamn origins planned, with possibly more by launch!? That's opening up an awesome amount of customisability for empires now. I saw one of them is their own Voidborn origin, so as per my previous post I'm very interested in seeing how they do that.

Oh and PS: for any Stellaris devs reading this thread, please add a view mode for the Manage Mods screen of the launcher that removes the mod portraits and makes the entries narrower. Also add a scroll bar. This current system looks fine if you have maybe a dozen mods. Not if you have several dozen like I do. :negative:

(No I will not use fewer mods)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Except plants care about soil, wind, heat/cold, amount of shade/direct sunlight :confused:

Which is why they still take the other penalties from habitability :cmon:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cynic Jester posted:

Which is why they still take the other penalties from habitability :cmon:
That doesnt change my opinion. Plant growth is affected by everything that I mentioned.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That doesnt change my opinion. Plant growth is affected by everything that I mentioned.

sounds better off abstracted away, op

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agean90 posted:

sounds better off abstracted away, op
but but but oh okay fine

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

They meant it as a photosynthesis implementation, food from light. More light means more food. You're right that that's simplistic though, so:

Photosynthesis: Habitability penalty, but food requirements are reduced based on habitability. Get habitability high enough and they produce rather than consume food.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

even in the internet you can't get a chance to use a botany degree

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Plantoid Colossus weapon: Global tiller. Break up soil clumps and mix in fresh fertilizer on a global scale. +20% habitability, +20% pop growth speed.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
great game launcher paradox, it literally does not launch the game, great stuff

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
+50% habitability if working a farm job

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

And Tyler Too! posted:

Plantoid Colossus weapon: Global tiller. Break up soil clumps and mix in fresh fertilizer on a global scale. +20% habitability, +20% pop growth speed.

Turning enemy pops into fertilizer is a perfect warcrime for a plant species.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Patch. Rockmans and bugfixes, here's two highlights:
* Fixed wrong save file being loaded from the resume button in the launcher, caused by a conflict between local and cloud saves
* Mod load order is now the same as the order in which the mods are displayed

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Splicer posted:

* Mod load order is now the same as the order in which the mods are displayed

Speaking of the launcher. Anyone that has suggestions to improve it or has grievances with it let me know.

Need to know before tomorrow evening

So far I have gathered:

Mod launcher:
Non locked order
• Default load order is alphabetically
• Option to reverse load order
• Option to reset to default
• Option to still manually adjust order by dragging mods up/down like now
• Ability to save and load mod load orders.
• Ability to import and export load orders to/from text
• Ability to create "modpacks": in reality, it just subscribes you to them. This could be a feature of the import/export load order.

Mod listing:
• Option to do text only, so the launcher can display more mods at a time
• In non-text only mod: button to open the mod's page (be it steam workshop page or pdxmods one)

Mod tools:
• Mod description files and thumbnails should be universal to the steam and non-steam versions.
○ Uploading a mod to pdx mods requires a different thumbnail and descriptor than the steam version.
○ Pdxmods doesn't allow custom tags while steam does.
• Ability to add a changelog when updating mods (for both steam and pdxmods)
• Uploading a mod to steam should not overwrite the steam description
○Let us upload mods with an empty description field or a button to "enter new description" or some such

*ps; ty for the lovely avatar ;) <3

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

From the RPS article: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/24/in-the-new-stellaris-expansion-you-can-turn-your-home-planet-into-a-bomb/

quote:

The twelfth (and best) origin is DOOMSDAY, mentioned up top, where you begin on a planet that will explode in exactly 64 years. Oh, and there’s no guarantee that there’s a habitable planet in range for settlement during that time. Apart from anything else, if you start the game with a doomsday empire as your neighbour, you can expect things to get pretty bananas pretty quickly. Paradox have not yet confirmed whether your doomed homeworld can eject a single child refugee to become a superhero elsewhere in the galaxy.

Fun.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

That's like the most entertaining starting option in aurora which makes your home systems star increase or decrease by 1% output every year. As planetary climates are actually modelled using the sun's output you rapidly have some very big problems.

Also for a glorious brief period the moons of Saturn and Jupiter become habitable if you've got the hot option.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Re: Plantoids: they could have some fun options involving ag districts (giving housing?), but that seems hard to do sanely in multi-species empires.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Guilliman posted:

Speaking of the launcher. Anyone that has suggestions to improve it or has grievances with it let me know.

So far I have gathered:

Mod launcher:
Non locked order
• Ability to create "modpacks": in reality, it just subscribes you to them. This could be a feature of the import/export load order.

Mod listing:
• In non-text only mod: button to open the mod's page (be it steam workshop page or pdxmods one)

Mod tools:
• Mod description files and thumbnails should be universal to the steam and non-steam versions.
○ Uploading a mod to pdx mods requires a different thumbnail and descriptor than the steam version.
○Let us upload mods with an empty description field or a button to "enter new description" or some such

Scroll bar on the mod list, please.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Take a page from MOO3 and have habitability based on two axes of atmospheric pressure and temperature. One of the really cool things about that deeply flawed game is that you could play a race that lives inside gas giants.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fister Roboto posted:

Take a page from MOO3 and have habitability based on two axes of atmospheric pressure and temperature. One of the really cool things about that deeply flawed game is that you could play a race that lives inside gas giants.

I've seen a bunch of 4X games where the species creation system and hab system worked on a 2-axis thing like that. Stars! also had a similar thing with I think 3 spectrums for temp, gravity, and pressure. You'd select the exact optimal point for your species on each spectrum but then also be able to make that point fatter or thinner showing how much variety you could handle. So maybe you can handle a huge range of radiation but are a total goldilocks when it comes to temperature. Planets then were just a collection of those 3 spectrums and terraforming technology were separate for each spectrum, allowing you to nudge it a little from its default. I really liked that sort of very granular system of habitability, tolerance, and planet types.

So you could encounter a planet that Had a Pressure of 10, Temperature of 20, Gravity of 10 and while your species's preferences are 8, 10, 9 respectively you have some temperature modification technology that can let you move it 5 points towards your ideal. So, after investing in terraforming the planet becomes 10 15 10, still not ideal but close enough that its worth colonizing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

I've seen a bunch of 4X games where the species creation system and hab system worked on a 2-axis thing like that. Stars! also had a similar thing with I think 3 spectrums for temp, gravity, and pressure. You'd select the exact optimal point for your species on each spectrum but then also be able to make that point fatter or thinner showing how much variety you could handle. So maybe you can handle a huge range of radiation but are a total goldilocks when it comes to temperature. Planets then were just a collection of those 3 spectrums and terraforming technology were separate for each spectrum, allowing you to nudge it a little from its default. I really liked that sort of very granular system of habitability, tolerance, and planet types.

So you could encounter a planet that Had a Pressure of 10, Temperature of 20, Gravity of 10 and while your species's preferences are 8, 10, 9 respectively you have some temperature modification technology that can let you move it 5 points towards your ideal. So, after investing in terraforming the planet becomes 10 15 10, still not ideal but close enough that its worth colonizing.
The closest to the current model would be temperature and humidity. You could bundle humidity into pressure, or have temperature, humidity, and pressure as the three flexible axis. Meanwhile gravity could be just a function of planet size with high gravity adaptation being a positive genetic trait and low gravity a negative one.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Splicer posted:

The closest to the current model would be temperature and humidity.

This is basically how the Reworked Planetary Diversity mod worked (and why I've clung to my hacked-together compatibility update of it for aaaaaages.)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
So, do I even need to build farms for rockpeople or is that district completely useless?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

IAmTheRad posted:

So, do I even need to build farms for rockpeople or is that district completely useless?

Only if you intend on having non-rock people living in your empire.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Reading that RPS article, I think the generic start will be Prosperous Unification. Especially since it's the far top left option, which is usually the default. I'm guessing it gives you a bonus to starting resources or something like that?

If it is the generic start, that means there are 5 other starting civics they haven't announced yet.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Galactic Doorstep, On the Shoulders of Giants, Common Ground, were mentioned at PDXcon but not in the article.

Speculation:
Galactic Doorstop: start with a wormhole/gateway.
On the shoulders: start with titanic life modifiers?
Common Ground: lithoid specific, idk

scaterry fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 24, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

doomsday needs some badass fuckin modifiers on there. losing your homeworld is an enormous deal in the first 64 years.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The origin I want the most is Death World, where your species gets a positive trait in exchange for your home planet being absolutely abysmal. Like, massive increases in consumer goods spending, minus a bunch of amenities, reduced pop growth as your native flora and fauna eats your young, etc.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I want to play a hivemind that grows pops by seeding other worlds with facehuggers and I can use my chestburster babies to prepare the world for my swarm.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

And Tyler Too! posted:

I want to play a hivemind that grows pops by seeding other worlds with facehuggers and I can use my chestburster babies to prepare the world for my swarm.

I've legitimately wanted some kind of parasitic lifeform option for ages. They have that "infected mammalian" fungal option but that's just a cosmetic thing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've legitimately wanted some kind of parasitic lifeform option for ages. They have that "infected mammalian" fungal option but that's just a cosmetic thing.

Playing as the Goa'uld would be pretty cool, though I'm unsure how it would work with the existing pop and trait system

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

they gave us megacorps already

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senior Dog posted:

they gave us megacorps already
:golfclap:

I'm starting up the game now, I cant wait to see all the new bugs that come with the race pack.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doublepost: They (obviously) removed the habitability and pop growth options for Lithoid species.
There are three 2 point-cost traits that each provide 0.01 of one of the three strategics per pop per month as long as their living standard is Slavery or above.
There is not a Lithoid version of Agrarian Idyll, game literally unplayable.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There is not a Lithoid version of Agrarian Idyll, game literally unplayable.

There is Mining Guilds, though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guilliman posted:

So far I have gathered:

Mod launcher:
Non locked order

Mod listing:

Mod tools:

Option to unsubscribe?

Morazain
Dec 15, 2013
I just recently purchased the dlc and am now looking to make a lithoid Tombworld Star empire.

Now in a previous run in leguine days I had a tomb world empire and I was able to colonize all worlds that could be across the board at around 50% making the tomb world origin a bit strong.
My query is this still the effect of Tombworld origins cause now when I look at tomb world preference on my Species it only says Tomb world and not the other 9 types?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Oh my. It turns out the real upside of the strategic resource traits is that you can trade for them on the market, and enable those military edicts almost immediately. There's nothing like increased sensor range to scout the entire galaxy at the beginning of the game! :O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Morazain posted:

My query is this still the effect of Tombworld origins cause now when I look at tomb world preference on my Species it only says Tomb world and not the other 9 types?

I meant to research this myself but I ran out of time - I believe the extremely positive effect of having that Tomb World Preference, wherein you got like 60% base everywhere else, was not how they wanted it to work. What I'm getting at is that I think it was nerfed.