Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is Gersten the one who comes back in season 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Is Gersten the one who comes back in season 3?

Yeah

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

How were season 1's ratings? Like was "Cooper is loving dead" close to being the end of the series? That would've been so unfulfilling.

Wasn’t it a massive hit/cultural sensation

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
About 34 million watched the pilot episode, 18 million watched the S1 finale.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DrVenkman posted:

About 34 million watched the pilot episode, 18 million watched the S1 finale.
Well it rules that they didn't have to stop at the end of season 1!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, that turtle freeze / dive thing that David Patrick Kelly does, that poo poo is no joke

I think it's a Broadway thing, I saw the Spongebob musical and the lead guy did the same thing at one point

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Probably helps that DPK is like 5'5" and 150lbs soaking wet.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I didn't see the show when it first aired, so I can only imagine how satisfying that season premiere must have been after waiting how many months after the S1 finale. It had everything. Even a Mark Frost cameo! And just when you feel comfortable with the bad hospital food jokes and singing Leland, how about ending on a Ronette freakout and murder Bob? Oh, it's on! Enjoy your nightmares, America!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Up until this very minute I thought the owl cave ring symbol was completely symmetrical and it is not and I’m freaking out

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Up until this very minute I thought the owl cave ring symbol was completely symmetrical and it is not and I’m freaking out

Well, the most prominent uses of the symbol on the show were in the cave and in Cooper's drawing. I think the asymmetrical line only appears on the ring itself (?). I certainly didn't notice the difference until watching season 3.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Escobarbarian posted:

Wasn’t it a massive hit/cultural sensation

Twin Peaks S1 and S2 basically defined “must watch/event TV.”

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYnF5hOhuM

I sat through all of this. It starts stretching a bit when discussing The Return and the guy's David Lynch impersonation is completely unnecessary, but I think it does a good job of covering everything. It's at least more sensible and grounded than most analysis I've seen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God this first episode of season 2 is masterful, but I always forget how utterly terrifying the Bob scene at the end is :stare:

Rageaholic posted:

Aww, Major Briggs' dream :3:

Doesn't matter how many times I see it, it always gets me a little teary-eyed, especially when you see Bobby - who up to this episode has been a monstrous little poo poo - grasp so eagerly/desperately onto his father's vision/hope for him.

The "sequel" in The Return where Bobby's mother tells him how his father always KNEW he would end up okay hits me in the same way, it's truly beautiful.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Jerusalem posted:

I always forget how utterly terrifying the Bob scene at the end is :stare:

:stare::hf::stonk:

wa27 posted:

Well, the most prominent uses of the symbol on the show were in the cave and in Cooper's drawing. I think the asymmetrical line only appears on the ring itself (?). I certainly didn't notice the difference until watching season 3.

Sure, but I’ve seen the ring itself so many times AND I’m a graphic designer by trade so this is the exact sort of thing my brain should have picked up on immediately. I feel like I’m being Mandela’d.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Just finished a very compelling interpretation/explanation of Twink Peaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYnF5hOhuM. Not an avid follower of the show or theories so maybe it's retread ground for most but I found it interesting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Modrasone posted:

I sat through all of this. It starts stretching a bit when discussing The Return and the guy's David Lynch impersonation is completely unnecessary, but I think it does a good job of covering everything. It's at least more sensible and grounded than most analysis I've seen.

Corte posted:

Just finished a very compelling interpretation/explanation of Twink Peaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYnF5hOhuM. Not an avid follower of the show or theories so maybe it's retread ground for most but I found it interesting.
Hmm, this sounds interesting. Let's see what this is abo--4 AND A HALF HOURS??? :stare:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TWIN PEAKS EXPLAINED - ULTIMATE THEORY

*is just every episode + FWWM lined up back to back*

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I didn't see the show when it first aired, so I can only imagine how satisfying that season premiere must have been after waiting how many months after the S1 finale. It had everything. Even a Mark Frost cameo! And just when you feel comfortable with the bad hospital food jokes and singing Leland, how about ending on a Ronette freakout and murder Bob? Oh, it's on! Enjoy your nightmares, America!

I recall reading that people hated the season 2 premiere but I could be misremembering. it certainly seems to me like something your average watcher would find frustrating

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The two best episodes are in season 2.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Modrasone posted:

Rageaholic posted:

Hmm, this sounds interesting. Let's see what this is abo--4 AND A HALF HOURS??? :stare:

Hahaha good catch, I'm not proud but I did watch all of it and felt it was worth posting I guess? It's Twin Peaks, I feel any explainer less than 4.5hrs is missing something :colbert:. I don't want to get into it because there might be people doing the rewatch that haven't seen it through before but would love to hear someone else's thoughts.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The great thing about Twin Peaks is I have seen multiple hour+ long video essays, each claiming to provide the TRUE FINAL analysis of the show, and each having different interpretations.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

The great thing about Twin Peaks is I have seen multiple hour+ long video essays, each claiming to provide the TRUE FINAL analysis of the show, and each having different interpretations.

Sure but were any of them 4 AND A HALF HOURS??? I absolutely agree with you and wouldn't claim this interpretation has found the holy grail necessarily but I definitely found it interesting and engaging.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now give me a 4.5 hour video of Dougie staring at a statue and THAT I'll watch. :hmmyes:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched like 45 minutes of that one earlier and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but maybe the rest will. I'll watch it when I have time to devote to it.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Now give me a 4.5 hour video of Dougie staring at a statue and THAT I'll watch. :hmmyes:

I mean, that's pretty much the conclusion the video draws or at least that's my interpretation, 8.75hr video explainer of this will be coming in 2020.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Corte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THBpfMz3GcI

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Corte posted:

Just finished a very compelling interpretation/explanation of Twink Peaks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AYnF5hOhuM.
Not an avid follower of the show or theories so maybe it's retread ground for most but I found it interesting.

I feel a bit conflicted about watching this because those are the people who got their fans to harrass the American developers of Silent Hill for "ruining the franchise". They're also pretty infamous for basically misrepresenting information to make their points.

If we're all recommending video essays, I quite enjoyed this series. :siren:Don't click if you haven't seen the entire show.:siren: It's a bit lighter in tone, but he actually breaks down some of the more convoluted aspects of season three. Not that I think it's a perfect analysis or anything.

romanowski posted:

I recall reading that people hated the season 2 premiere but I could be misremembering. it certainly seems to me like something your average watcher would find frustrating

That is unfathomable to me. The entire first half of that episode has some of my favourite moments in it. Like the old man who meanders in and out of Cooper's room, not even acknowledging that Coop's been shot. It's such a great exercise in misdirection, as you constantly expect him to help, but he just never does. Then the giant turns up and goes: "You probably should get that checked out, dude." And Lucy reading out everything that's gone down. And the goddamn wood tick. And Leland. And Andy crab walking. The list just goes on and on.

Random observations:
I love the ominous moment when the intro just doesn't want to end, and the camera slowly drifts towards the muddy water downstream.

The whole scene with Bobby and Shelly is extremely cute.

Gersten is seriously playing an entire concerto while the others are eating? She even casually mentions that her grades have improved so she doesn't "have to worry about being ashamed anymore." What kind of pressure is the doc putting on his daughters? The Haywards are nuts.

"Chopping wood? Inside?" "Yeah, you know Leo." "Wait a minute. Chopping wood inside?" "Yeah. You know Leo." :shrug:

The giant is pretty chatty in this episode. I forgot that he was so eloquent.

Could I get a screencap of:
- The old man standing over Cooper (After hanging up the phone. He says: "Sure. No problem.")
- The old man standing in the doorway giving a second :thumbsup:
- Donna wearing Laura's glasses at the diner
- The massive row of donuts at the sheriff station (1 hour into the episode)
- Donuts fading into a red light (same scene)

By the way, I watched Nicolas Winding Refn's Too Old to Die Young this week. I'm glad more arthouse directors are getting free reign to direct 10+ hour extravaganzas. He even screened two episodes at Cannes just like Lynch. The pacing of his show is absolutely glacial, too. Obviously, Refn is never gonna beat his magnum opus Pusher 1-3, but the show still has its moments.

And More fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 25, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't remember if I felt it in my first viewing or if I'm just reading too much into it with the benefit of hindsight on my second viewing, but does anyone else feel like Maddy is just seething about the way she's essentially being used by Donna (James at least showed concern about her when he got out of jail) and that there's this air of doom about her even before her strange vision/dream of the carpet?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

And More posted:

I feel a bit conflicted about watching this because those are the people who got their fans to harrass the American developers of Silent Hill for "ruining the franchise". They're also pretty infamous for basically misrepresenting information to make their points.

If we're all recommending video essays, I quite enjoyed this series. :siren:Don't click if you haven't seen the entire show.:siren: It's a bit lighter in tone, but he actually breaks down some of the more convoluted aspects of season three. Not that I think it's a perfect analysis or anything.

I'm not familiar with this channel or that particular controversy so I can't speak to those. I decided to see what else they've made and there appear to be some defenses of DC films which raised an eyebrow. I will say their explanation is more meta and about Lynch's personal philosophy so it may differ from others which focus solely on the in-universe story.

Thanks for sharing that series, I enjoyed the first video and will likely go through the rest when I'm able. If nothing else the presenter looks more reminiscent of a true Twin Peaks nut.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Could I get a screencap of:
- The old man standing over Cooper (After hanging up the phone. He says: "Sure. No problem.")
- The old man standing in the doorway giving a second :thumbsup:
- Donna wearing Laura's glasses at the diner
- The massive row of donuts at the sheriff station (1 hour into the episode)
- Donuts fading into a red light (same scene)

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

And More posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, I think that's really lovely too so its good to know not to watch more of their stuff or share it around.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Well this one certainly took a turn, I'm not sure if you're a malevolent force, bad actor, or typical goon. I'm about 2.5hrs in and while I wouldn't say it's comparable to the breakdown I linked it's no less fascinating. I feel so sorry for this poor dude, he also seems very familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I haven't done my rewatch homework yet but I came here to say I just met Micheal Horse at his store and he and his wife are just about the nicest people I've ever met.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I haven't done my rewatch homework yet but I came here to say I just met Micheal Horse at his store and he and his wife are just about the nicest people I've ever met.
:nice:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't going to ask for a photo but he offered. We took one and then his wife said "Do that thing with your eye". I couldn't see what he was doing at the time but when I got a chance to look at the photo-- Bookhouse Boys sign.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I wasn't going to ask for a photo but he offered. We took one and then his wife said "Do that thing with your eye". I couldn't see what he was doing at the time but when I got a chance to look at the photo-- Bookhouse Boys sign.
:kimchi:

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Post it!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Where's this at?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The one I know about is Albany CA (Gathering Tribes). He might have one in New Mexico too?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4GDxrrApvd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
'Twin Peaks' anagrams to 'Ape Twinks.' Really makes you think.