Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I need to start a thread.

Agreed.

If it helps at all, I tried out the builder's big rear end triangular battery-powered Makita framing nailer and a) it was heavy as gently caress b) it was unwieldy as gently caress, c) it was not particularly pleasant to use.

If you wind up going pneumatic, somewhere upthread I wound up buying a "NuMax" 16G finish nailer (for trim) and an 18G brad nailer (for holding while gluing) from amazon.com because even after import costs the pair were half the price of a single nailer bought here.

I got the compressor from Screwfix, second cheapest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
deal of the day at HD includes a bunch of ryobi, makita 18v and milwaukee m12

https://toolguyd.com/makita-ryobi-milwaukee-cordless-power-tool-deals-10252019/

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I'm a new home owner. Do we think there will be good introductory power tool sales during the holiday season? Or am I going to get stuck with down graded black Friday versions of tools?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Heffer posted:

I'm a new home owner. Do we think there will be good introductory power tool sales during the holiday season? Or am I going to get stuck with down graded black Friday versions of tools?

Look up, like, ten posts. There's a $300 Ryobi deal that has a ton of tools.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

That's a big bite for me. I don't have any pressing woodworking needs so I think a drill impact driver combo is more my need

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
4 posts up bro

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Heffer posted:

Or am I going to get stuck with down graded black Friday versions of tools?

:crossarms: Nobody makes down graded tools for black Friday.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

Yeah this isn't the "doorbuster" decontented TVs Best Buy / Walmart has - the economies of scale aren't there for the volume that tools move in.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

JEEVES420 posted:

however a lot of the sales on combo kits for black friday are composed of tools 1-2 generations old. doesnt mean that they're not good just not the newest version.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Heffer posted:

That's a big bite for me. I don't have any pressing woodworking needs so I think a drill impact driver combo is more my need

Welcome to tool ownership/DiY land. You do one job on that new home that you would have had to hire a Pro for, bam those tools have paid for themselves.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I tried to search the model number to see if anyone has talked about this model but forums search is trash. Local Home Depot has this GTS1031 portable Bosch table saw for $280.

Worth it if I don't have a table saw currently? I have need for one down the road for flooring and possibly bookcase making. I have the Bosch 15A 12" miter and love it, and my only concern about this is the limited width of boards it can do (I think)?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

18” rip capacity is pretty small, yeah. You could probably get by on making bookshelves but anything bigger or more complex is likely to be a pain in the rear end or not possible.

Worth it to save up a bit, once you hit the $500 price point contractor saws start becoming a lot more versatile.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hitachi has a pretty good table saw that gets down to 300-330 bucks on sale. I like the rack and pinion style fence (similar to DW), 35" max width rip and integrated stand with storage mode

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
No doubt the Bosch is good. Also consider its direct competitor.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-Corded-10-in-Compact-Job-Site-Table-Saw-with-Site-Pro-Modular-Guarding-System-DW745/100497987

I have that dewalt and like it but having less than 24" rip capacity means you can't get halfway into a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Consider whether that matters to you (circular saw is a great backup for big cuts, the stores also do 2 cuts for you).

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

hitachi has a pretty good table saw that gets down to 300-330 bucks on sale. I like the rack and pinion style fence (similar to DW), 35" max width rip and integrated stand with storage mode

This one?

Maybe I just need to wait and get this DEWALT. I'm going to want a stand anyway, and every other DEWALT tool I own has been solid.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Petite Dinklage posted:

This one?

Maybe I just need to wait and get this DEWALT. I'm going to want a stand anyway, and every other DEWALT tool I own has been solid.

The dewalt 7491 goes on sale from time to time, I think I paid $520 for mine. It’s 100% great. I had also considered the comparable Bosch but I’m all about the rack and pinion fence.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think you can get by just fine without a stand. I've never used one and I'm on my second table saw and never really ran into issues.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s called a table saw cuz you can put it on a table, duh. It’s not called a stand saw

coathat
May 21, 2007

No I saw it was a table and thats why its coverd with junk

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

yup thats the one, i like that it has an integrated stand.

one thing i really didnt like about the dewalt contractor saws was that the infeed area is really really small. it's part of that kind of market but some saws are better in this regard than others

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
On the note of table saws, how does this one compare?

SKILSAW SPT70WT-01 10 In. Portable Worm Drive Table Saw https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AX4B7I6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nQyTDbWWTEJ6H

I was shocked at how much quieter my worm drive circular saw was compared to my other sidewinder, would that apply for this as well? Did just go off sale for $310, but I will say a rack and pinion fence sounds nice.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1189600858536730627

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

You know, I have never looked through my shed and thought, "boy, I could really use that against government oppression."

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

kid sinister posted:

You know, I have never looked through my shed and thought, "boy, I could really use that against government oppression."

You haven't looked nearly hard enough!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kid sinister posted:

I can't even imagine another reason to own a pole saw.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kid sinister posted:

To paraphrase the late, great, ur-hippy U. Utah Phillips, 'In a mass marketing culture, a revolutionary tool is any tool you choose to use yourself'

This might actually be the most revolutionary subforum on these whole forums.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Pretty much any time you fix something instead of buying something new you are creating a win for the environment and a loss for a capitalist, so keep up the good work comrades

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
You all should read the Anarchists Design Book :sun:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Super Waffle posted:

You all should read the Anarchists Design Book :sun:

It's a great resource.

People will really appreciate the dovetail joinery on your pipe bombs, and the rosewood inlay you can add to your thermite containment vessel will turn many eyes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is there a go to snowblower recommendation?

My driveway is approximately 140'. 2/3 of it is 10' wide, the rest is about 20' wide.

I have a bunch of Ryobi 40v stuff, so their new snowblower is appealing, but it's only single stage. Very few reviews, and even fewer have used the product since it's so new. One review says it has problems with wet snow, which is definitely a concern where I'm at (rust belt).

Budget is up to $500 ideally but I can stretch if needed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 2, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How much snow do you get? Do you need more than a single stage (not gonna happen with electric/battery as far as I know)?

I only use a snowblower for clearing walkways/back patio, and even though there are a few snowfalls a year where I could use a 2/3 stage, but I just try to keep up with it as it falls. I've got a several year old Craftsman with an electric start (annoyingly plug in 120v) and it actually runs quite well. No drama, got it used for $200 (luck: couple was moving to Florida and just wanted it gone).

I seriously doubt any battery blower is going to come anywhere close to clearing your driveway of anything more than a dusting.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

How much snow do you get? Do you need more than a single stage (not gonna happen with electric/battery as far as I know)?

I only use a snowblower for clearing walkways/back patio, and even though there are a few snowfalls a year where I could use a 2/3 stage, but I just try to keep up with it as it falls. I've got a several year old Craftsman with an electric start (annoyingly plug in 120v) and it actually runs quite well. No drama, got it used for $200 (luck: couple was moving to Florida and just wanted it gone).

I seriously doubt any battery blower is going to come anywhere close to clearing your driveway of anything more than a dusting.

I mean ideally I'd prefer electric, but gas is fine. I have a cheap corded one that did ok last year but the winter was very mild.

I'm in Cleveland area, not quite in the snow belt area out east of town but still get a decent amount. If my googling is right it's 75" on average for the season.

This one locally looks decent on the used market.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/d/cleveland-ariens-2-stage-snow-blower/7011204011.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I mean ideally I'd prefer electric, but gas is fine. I have a cheap corded one that did ok last year but the winter was very mild.

I'm in Cleveland area, not quite in the snow belt area out east of town but still get a decent amount. If my googling is right it's 75" on average for the season.

This one locally looks decent on the used market.
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/d/cleveland-ariens-2-stage-snow-blower/7011204011.html

Yeah, that's definitely 2 stage kinda snowfall.

That one doesn't look too bad for the price (providing it runs well). The new version of that model would be like $1400.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

A lot of people say you 'need' this or that but in my experience with a small electric it comes down to how fast it does the job. Just take smaller runs if needed.

I'm also thinking about this because my new house has a bigger driveway. If I already had 40V Ryobi I wouldn't think twice about buying their snow blower.

Hey I guess there is electric 2 stage now:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Snow-Jo..._-303483344-_-N

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Cant imagine an electric two stage but maybe it's got awesome batteries. A decent snow can easily bog down a gas motor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Does anyone know where to find some rough calculations between like....12 amp hours of lions on that thing to a gallon of gas in a typical snowblower? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

I'd like to know how to compare how much fuel I know I burn to how much those two batteries can likely do as a way to back in to "can one of those things do my paths and back patio under various snowfall conditions?" It doesn't even need to be super accurate of course, I just have a very hard time believing 12 amp hours is going to do much more than 1/4 gallon of gas in a gas blower, if that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have no idea if any of these numbers are correct :v:

Ballpark, a single cylinder engine is what, 15% efficient? I'm making a wild guess given that cars with actual fuel injection and computers and poo poo are in the range of 30%, versus lovely little single cylinders. So a quarter gallon of gas is about 8.3 kWh, but only about 1.2 kWh of that actually makes it to the output shaft of the engine.

Looks like that blower is using the batteries in series, so it's an 80V 6AH pack, or about 0.48 kWh if you can actually drain them to near zero. But electric motors are better at turning chemical energy to motion. Call it 90% and it's 0.43 kWh.

So still not 1:1. Closer to an eighth gallon of gas?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

That seems like pretty good analysis to me. Electric is very good at managing energy too versus load. I suspect gas engine idle losses are much higher and account for quite alot.

Electric also lends itself to shutting of/on. You won't leave it on while wheeling it across the driveway for example.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Do the modern lithium batteries perform well in sub-freezing temps? I remember that the old lead-acid ones didn't like anything too cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Seeing as Lithium batteries have a habit of catching fire from heat, I'm betting they'll warm right up outside.