Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

I'm gonna have to guillotine this motherfucker aren't I

low level talk skills get him to just forget his capital interests and walk away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

i never found the tape to help egghead to make the beats harder-core

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

low level talk skills get him to just forget his capital interests and walk away

also if you murder him in cold blood like the capitalist scum that he is you get reprimanded by your companion but nobody else seems to care???

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

frequent "good enough" reasons to sub is what xbox envisions for gaming next gen.

I'm actually pretty impressed by Xbox gamepass. If they add at least 1 new title every few months the service easily pays for itself. $5 a month is a fair price for a bunch of really cool indies + exclusives I probably would have never played otherwise like sunset overdrive. I might be biased though because my last experience with a console subscription service is PSN which I let lapse because it kept getting worse and more expensive.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I like how if you gently caress him over with the power you just get to leave after killing half a dozen guards.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Russian troll farm posted:

i never found the tape to help egghead to make the beats harder-core

i didn't even know that was a thing you could do!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DrManiac posted:

I like how if you gently caress him over with the power you just get to leave after killing half a dozen guards.

This is what we refer to as a "limited hostile takeover"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Communist Thoughts posted:

speaking of ADA, i'd say 90% of women in the game are the exact same lady with a punky short haircut. so is the default female pc

its beginning to exasperate my girlfriend and me but at least itll drive the incels completely insane

I think they can't do long hair, if you look at the two longer hairstyles they totally blow (I also think longer hair would clip through everything)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I am so happy Outer Worlds isn't on Steam because I might have bought it if it were

I have absolutely been biased by recently playing through Disco Elysium, but Outer Worlds just feels bland and dumb. The first town is a slave colony full of brutalized indentured servants and the game completes fails in building any sense of pathos

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

there's a shootwomans game but it's anime and you shoot womens with your [REDACTED]

the [REDACTED] portion, of course, is feet

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

My sole complaint about Disco Elysium is that it wasn't longer. I wish I still had it to play. Why did God send this game to me now, I wonder, when I no longer have the time or inclination to replay games over and over?

I feel as though I missed a lot. I never got into that container. I never found out who Ruby or Klaasje really were. I never found my gun. I never learned what the Pale was. I wish I didn't arrest the communist holdout.

Maybe I can do another playthrough soon. I hope they make a sequel.

Don't be a coward, just roll a completely different character.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

but i feel as though sensitive inland empire detective who routinely pierces the veil is the truest and best character

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think they can't do long hair, if you look at the two longer hairstyles they totally blow (I also think longer hair would clip through everything)

also so far every companion character i've met except parvati looks like they were made in 5 minutes in the character creator

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

but i feel as though sensitive inland empire detective who routinely pierces the veil is the truest and best character

I'm planning on playing a speedfreak fascist oozing with savoir faire. Not exploring the reactive possibilities is just leaving money on the table.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

I mean, Pillars had some moments that disappointed me, but at least it's obvious that Rope Kid and crew put a lot of work into the writing.

Maybe they should've put more work into editing instead.

bird with big dick posted:

I'm gonna have to guillotine this motherfucker aren't I

Is that Bernie Sanders line a good indicator of game's humor? 'Cause if so I don't think I have it in me to play through hours of this.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Is that Bernie Sanders line a good indicator of game's humor? 'Cause if so I don't think I have it in me to play through hours of this.

i think that's their player character's name lol

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think they just named their character Bernie Sanders.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thats actually considerably funnier than any "joke" in the game so far

heres one i remember, from the bartender

"need a cocktail? I can make you one out of whisky and something.... oh no wait... i'm all out of something"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I actually liked shivers way more than inland empire :shrug:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Al! posted:

what are some good mods for new vegas

Autumn Leaves, a fan mod for New Vegas that blows all the writing in Outer Worlds out of the water.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Space Stalin has grown tired of these NPCs by the time I reach Monarch and now I’m killing everyone as I bum rush the main quest.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

my litmus on a game's written quality is to whether or not people adhere to putting spoilers around crucial plot elements

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Al! posted:

sweet geek swag posted:

I think they just named their character Bernie Sanders.

haha. well at least the game's not that meta, which is a plus.

Communist Thoughts posted:

thats actually considerably funnier than any "joke" in the game so far

heres one i remember, from the bartender

"need a cocktail? I can make you one out of whisky and something.... oh no wait... i'm all out of something"

this is not a plus.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kropotkin even wrote about the effects of industrialization on the warning climate and how glaciers were disappearing and it would get worse if we didn't do something about it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Looked up footage of outer worlds and the first companions you get are a woman who works on engines and has a southern accent and a preacher with a mysterious past.

a bit on the nose obsidian don't you think

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

I actually liked shivers way more than inland empire :shrug:

This time around I specialized in electrochemistry. Gonna go ask Joyce for money then go on a runaway bender!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Looked up footage of outer worlds and the first companions you get are a woman who works on engines and has a southern accent and a preacher with a mysterious past.

nerds only like things that are exactly the same as other things

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Agean90 posted:

oh god they're going for firefly, aren't they?

i used to be all about whedon writing back in the day, but that was nearly two decades ago and i defo had enough of it by the time avengers came out.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

WampaLord posted:

This time around I specialized in electrochemistry. Gonna go ask Joyce for money then go on a runaway bender!

that's my second run and I was really disappointed I couldn't get 130 real worth of drugs and booze and hobocop my way out of paying garth.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Parvati only cares about hooking up with another NPC and making sure all the boot lockers feel ok.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I assume it's because I was a commie cop but the line about the "ex-something" at the end game killed me.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!
Whedon is the the paradigm case of someone who seemed progressive twenty years ago and then his critical thinking inclined fans noticed more and more problems until it came to light that he routinely abused the power we gave him to coerce young actresses into sex.

So I can totally believe someone who can't talk the difference between centrism and leftism being inspired by his work.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Destiny also has a southern grease monkey, and Nathan Filion

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Upmarket Mango posted:

Parvati only cares about hooking up with another NPC and making sure all the boot lockers feel ok.

I love being a loving maniac in front of her too bad she only reacts to when you murder a capitalist

Like the writing makes me want to murder every character in the game they all suck

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I want to push the Sunday Friend out the window. Holy gently caress it's like reading D&D with this guy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

funny thing is that people like firefly because almost all of the characters are proletariat as gently caress

you'd think if you were making a firefly rpg you'd try to aim for the same tone at the very least

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

honestly the southern accent is wierd as hell because nobody else in tutorial land has one from what I saw

she exists entirely to be a party member

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Al! posted:

Correct

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Jazerus posted:

funny thing is that people like firefly because almost all of the characters are proletariat as gently caress

you'd think if you were making a firefly rpg you'd try to aim for the same tone at the very least

Yeah, in the one case of Simon, due to an explicit choice to value solidarity with his sister over the comfort of bougie conformity.

So you get some really weird things like the semi-deaf bounty hunter threatening the mechanic with rape as a pure power move, but remaining a somewhat sympathetic antagonist on the strength of ultimately being a worker.

Or the whole fantasy being a bunch of workers running a small business, but Jane representing both the possibility of the power dynamic being flipped on the captain at any moment if he no longer represents the crew's collective interests and the possibility of betrayal and breakdown in solidarity due to the leverage of capital.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
all the outer worlds party npcs are complete non-entities. one of them is some random guy who I talked to like twice who invited himself onto my crew. who even are you?

Upmarket Mango posted:

Space Stalin has grown tired of these NPCs by the time I reach Monarch and now I’m killing everyone as I bum rush the main quest.

yeah same. I'm bored and about to go Turbo Murder Mode.