Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

jre posted:

Your browser is a piece of poo poo op
I use firefox and chrome

and you're right they both suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

more like brendan yikes :xd:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

more like brendan yikes :xd:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

bah, let's post php 0-days to hn

https://github.com/neex/phuip-fpizdam

update your php's, especially if running nextcloud

not exactly responsible disclosure

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

On the other hand, irresponsible disclosure is extremely entertaining for those who can claim not to be involved.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tankakern posted:

looks like that's the date the php devs told them it was ok to go public, it was reported to php a month before

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=78599

quote:

[2019-09-28 08:26 UTC] neex dot emil+phpeb at gmail dot com
Well, the date can be rescheduled, I just want to get something about this. What is this next release date you're talking about?

Second, I believe this issue requires a CVE. The configuration required to reproduce the issue (which is uee fastcgi_split_pathinfo in nginx config with cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1) is not that uncommon. What is the process of getting it?

[2019-09-28 21:12 UTC] cmb@php.net
Thanks for reporting this issue!

CVEs are preferrably issued by php.net[1]. The next security
relevant releases are scheduled for 24 Okt 2019.

Does this issue affect PHP 7.1, 7.2 and/or 7.3?

[1] <https://wiki.php.net/cve>

[2019-09-29 19:20 UTC] neex dot emil+phpeb at gmail dot com
Well, I think that 24 October is too far. Please note that a task with a similar configuration was present on a Real World CTF at the beginning of September (ctf is a competition where teams hack things). While the issue was not the intended way to solve for the task, there might be other people who have noticed strange behavior and was able to understand what happens.

For now, let's define 24 October as a strict deadline. However, I would appreciate it if you allow disclosing the issue earlier.

My exploit works on all 7+ versions, but the core issue seems to exists since the mentioned code was written. I was able to reproduce the crash even on php 5.6.

More details on this:

The code that wrongly assumes that env_path_info is not empty was written in 2013, according to git blame. That means that out-of-bound read and out-of-bound write of a single byte exist in virtually all versions.

However, my exploit uses the presence of _fcgi_data_seg structure and related hash table optimization. It is here since 7.0. So 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 all have both the issue and a way exploit for it (which is described in the first message).

this seems pretty responsible disclosure to me.....

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 27, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
heh

https://twitter.com/sleavely/status/1188537321223798786

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
On the other hand, unicode is a loving nightmare where pretty much every character has multiple representations, so it is probably not a bad idea to stay away for anything that isn't displaying information to an end-user.

For example, did he type the letter å or the letter a with a ring diacritic?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

klafbang posted:

On the other hand, unicode is a loving nightmare where pretty much every character has multiple representations, so it is probably not a bad idea to stay away for anything that isn't displaying information to an end-user.

Does it matter as long as they're able to repeat the character sequence consistently?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ah crap I forgot whether my password is 19 or 20 eggplant emoji

the site didn’t allow 69 eggplant emoji

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Chalks posted:

Does it matter as long as they're able to repeat the character sequence consistently?

but what if they aren't

like they get a new phone and suddenly it uses another representation of national characters/smiles (yes I know they should be done in canon unicode but you know, software)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chalks posted:

it makes it harder for the customer support agent on the phone when you read it out to them

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

Nah, probably not. I can still see why somebody would rule them out just to avoid potential problems (will browsers/apps send the sequence correctly? will the universe breed even more advanced idiots misunderstanding the difference between é/ê/è or æ/œ?) at very little advantage.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

klafbang posted:

Nah, probably not. I can still see why somebody would rule them out just to avoid potential problems (will browsers/apps send the sequence correctly? will the universe breed even more advanced idiots misunderstanding the difference between é/ê/è or æ/œ?) at very little advantage.

I'd always assumed that non english speakers regularly have non ascii characters in their passwords but I guess not if they're normally prevented

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Only American characters can be common

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

klafbang posted:

it seems like it should be possible to fix this with a suitable form of normalisation

emphasis on “should” obviously, I know it’s never that simple

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Soricidus posted:

it seems like it should be possible to fix this with a suitable form of normalisation

emphasis on “should” obviously, I know it’s never that simple

Anything not a 7 bit ASCII character is a shitshow and always has been. Danish has 3 bonus letters, like most Scandinavian languages. IBM forgot one (ø) in their original Scandinavian code page, 865 (IIRC), so there was two variants of that one with 2 extra Danish letters and one with all three. And also a European CP, 850, which placed at least ø in a different place. Also, they were placed so regular alphabetic sorting would not work. The windows CP puts them in a new exciting place.

I believe the Scandinavian characters are in the low parts of Unicode, something latin1y, so they have their own codepoints. Unicode also has support for adding all kinds of accents above/below/on top of characters, so yo can make o as a separate character or by placing a / on top of an o. HTML can refer to it as &oslash; as the character itself using several interesting encodings, or using the Unicode entities. This is all different from an American zero with a dot in it, btw.

å is even worse because you have the character, the character with a diacritic, and 4 or 5 other basically rings you can also use that look identical (a degree symbol, a superscript o, a superscript zero, probably more).

You learn very quickly to stay away from dumb characters.

klafbang fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 27, 2019

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

duz posted:

customer support agent
phone

for google? ahahahahahahaha you are a funny poster

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

klafbang posted:

Anything not a 7 bit ASCII character is a shitshow and always has been. Danish has 3 bonus letters, like most Scandinavian languages. IBM forgot one (ø) in their original Scandinavian code page, 865 (IIRC), so there was two variants of that one with 2 extra Danish letters and one with all three. And also a European CP, 850, which placed at least ø in a different place. Also, they were placed so regular alphabetic sorting would not work. The windows CP puts them in a new exciting place.

I believe the Scandinavian characters are in the low parts of Unicode, something latin1y, so they have their own codepoints. Unicode also has support for adding all kinds of accents above/below/on top of characters, so yo can make o as a separate character or by placing a / on top of an o. HTML can refer to it as ø as the character itself using several interesting encodings, or using the Unicode entities. This is all different from an American zero with a dot in it, btw.

å is even worse because you have the character, the character with a diacritic, and 4 or 5 other basically rings you can also use that look identical (a degree symbol, a superscript o, a superscript zero, probably more).

You learn very quickly to stay away from dumb characters.

hello I am the Cyrillic alphabet and me and my 33 children would like a word with all of you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Boiled Water posted:

hello I am the Cyrillic alphabet and me and my 33 children would like a word with all of you

wait cyrillic i thought you spoke chinese

what's a gungan

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Boiled Water posted:

Do letters that look the same as Latin letters but aren’t (В, С, Р, Н) have separate CPs? The lowercase variants must, but I guess the answer for the uppercase is the dumbest possible?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Please take general Unicode chat elsewhere

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

klafbang posted:

Do letters that look the same as Latin letters but aren’t (В, С, Р, Н) have separate CPs? The lowercase variants must, but I guess the answer for the uppercase is the dumbest possible?

yeah homographs (well, not Han unified homographs) have different code points and browsers of course have complex rules about how to display them in the address bar

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

for google? ahahahahahahaha you are a funny poster

do you normally give your password out over the phone?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

duz posted:

do you normally give your password out over the phone?

Basically no customer support either takes or receives passwords over the phone in the last 5-10 years. If the company isn't storing your password in plain text there's not going to be any way for the agent to see what it is anyways, and after the years of phishing attacks everyone has stopped asking customers for a PW over the phone.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Basically no customer support either takes or receives passwords over the phone in the last 5-10 years. If the company isn't storing your password in plain text there's not going to be any way for the agent to see what it is anyways, and after the years of phishing attacks everyone has stopped asking customers for a PW over the phone.

well...no one competent does...

https://twitter.com/UncleZebraCakes/status/1186110338934231041

https://twitter.com/simX/status/1186371667825528833

https://twitter.com/suzie_shooter/status/1187017063497437184

https://twitter.com/AkaneTachi19/status/1188092888745463814

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Having the passwords translated as phone numbers does not necessarily require to have it cleartext; you could essentially run the transform from all accepted characters to a phone number keyboard on it when the user first chooses it, hash that and store the hash. When logging in from a phone, you then check against the phone hash only.

However you've now got two hashes, one of which is off a weak as gently caress digit-only password and is probably enough to replace the safer/complete one anyway.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

didn't rbc do this alongside a mandatory six-character limit on password length

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Chrome is fine with the right add-ons and settings, firefox left a bad taste when it kept getting exploited at the end of last decade for me.

I might try it more if you could create shortcuts for websites in firefox that open in their window with no address bar and can have it on the taskbar.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Celexi posted:

Chrome is fine with the right add-ons and settings, firefox left a bad taste when it kept getting exploited at the end of last decade for me.

Firefox got a major overhaul about a year ago and is significantly better now.

chrome is fine if you are ok being the product.

quote:

I might try it more if you could create shortcuts for websites in firefox that open in their window with no address bar and can have it on the taskbar.

have you heard of our lord and savior electron

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flakeloaf posted:

didn't rbc do this alongside a mandatory six-character limit on password length

BMO. (BMO might still do this, but possibly they changed it finally in the last couple years.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

James Baud posted:

BMO. (BMO might still do this, but possibly they changed it finally in the last couple years.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9kbAG2bfeY&t=24s

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Tankakern posted:

Pretty sure I read about it before these flurry of releases now also, probably in some nginx or php-fpm advisory. this publication is fine

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

MononcQc posted:

Having the passwords translated as phone numbers does not necessarily require to have it cleartext; you could essentially run the transform from all accepted characters to a phone number keyboard on it when the user first chooses it, hash that and store the hash. When logging in from a phone, you then check against the phone hash only.

However you've now got two hashes, one of which is off a weak as gently caress digit-only password and is probably enough to replace the safer/complete one anyway.

The issue with this, if it is the case, is that I could take my usual list and rules, map them to the phone numbers, then filter out the uniques, which is faster than testing each against the text hash. Applying those to the phone hash would get me a list of associated text hashes that have a higher probability of being hit by the original list/rules, so you'd just search against that set first.

But let's not kid ourselves they're in clear text 🙃

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 28, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

are you my coworker who tried implementing BigInt but managed to break greater than?

are you the company that reimplemented BigInt in this software we have to integrate?

because if so gently caress yoooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuauuahghhghhhh

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

power botton posted:

Symantec has OEMed us and what you are all saying is very hurtful.

please understand there are human beings behind the software you use and just because it doesn't work as you think it should thats no cause for being an asshat

counterpoint: it is a sinking garbage barge that has caused me nothing but misery in the last 5 years and they can go to hell

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Fool posted:

Check out this still open issue from 2017: https://github.com/electron/asar/issues/123

lmbo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

are electrons hiding their poo poo in /Library or ~/Library or something?

In the case of teams, the updater deflates the new binary in to somewhere in /private/var and then that gets moved over to swap out the application in its current directory. If that's in /Applications then it it will need to elevate, if its in ~/Applications then it can just fire. It dumps a bunch of poo poo in ~/Library/Application Support but it seems to all be cache files and I can't see anything in there that looks executable thankfully. Seems to effectively be the signed jar encapsulation method so at least something sane is possible here since mac is much better about at least warning if you're trying to run unsigned stuff

ewiley posted:

Digital signatures are just one way binaries can be whitelisted. Windows has built-in whitelisting with AppLocker but it only covers windows 'executable' files. [/url]

applocker handles executable, installers, dll's, and scripting including .js (powershell, command scripts, vbs as well). You could absolutely use it to this end if the vendor correctly signs their content correctly

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the problem is that javascript/electron devs are incompetent and they can't be trusted to do anything right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

re: Brave browser: Why does a browser also need a bittorent client?