Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've always been of the camp that prefers the Saturn soundtrack (the Rusty Ruins tracks are some of my favorite in the entire series, so that sells it alone), but the Genesis one has some drat good ones - mostly involving Tatsuyuki Maeda (so, Rusty Ruin, Diamond Dust, Volcano Valley, Gene Gadget and Panic Puppet 2).

Senoue's work was a bit hit-or-miss for me in comparison. The main theme's okay I guess. Green Grove is great. Panic Puppet 1 is great. Spring Stadium is the blandest, most meandering do-nothing melody in the entire game, and given we had "Pleasure Castle ...for Twinkle Park" right there to potentially replace it, it's the most baffling case.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wonder if there are any other unused SA tracks in there? Twinkle Park is one of my favorite ones so it’s neat to hear its original version. IIRC Senoue reused the Sonic 3D tracks for SA because the Mega Drive version of it never released in Japan and he wanted people to hear his music.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

I've always been of the camp that prefers the Saturn soundtrack (the Rusty Ruins tracks are some of my favorite in the entire series, so that sells it alone), but the Genesis one has some drat good ones - mostly involving Tatsuyuki Maeda (so, Rusty Ruin, Diamond Dust, Volcano Valley, Gene Gadget and Panic Puppet 2).

Senoue's work was a bit hit-or-miss for me in comparison. The main theme's okay I guess. Green Grove is great. Panic Puppet 1 is great. Spring Stadium is the blandest, most meandering do-nothing melody in the entire game, and given we had "Pleasure Castle ...for Twinkle Park" right there to potentially replace it, it's the most baffling case.

lets not forget senoue's insane unused clown circus boss fight theme that ended up in sonic 4

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ArfJason posted:

lets not forget senoue's insane unused clown circus boss fight theme that ended up in sonic 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hch6e2rsGeI

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah whoever thought that a fifteen second loop was a good idea for boss music was wrong.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is there anywhere with maps for Sonic Mania levels like these?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I wonder if there are any other unused SA tracks in there? Twinkle Park is one of my favorite ones so it’s neat to hear its original version. IIRC Senoue reused the Sonic 3D tracks for SA because the Mega Drive version of it never released in Japan and he wanted people to hear his music.

I think there's a few tracks on there.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Arbite posted:

Is there anywhere with maps for Sonic Mania levels like these?

https://imgur.com/a/ZiVoQ

Doesn't have rings or enemies and Titanic Monarch 2 is missing, but it's the best I've got.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently they just released another physical version of Sonic Mania but one that excludes the Plus DLC. Pretty strange.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Weird.

Maybe they're hoping they can get new casual sales at the $19 physical cart price point and then some of those will buy DLC online.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
You guys might want to check this out.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Sonic graphic used in that tech demo was claimed to be a trailer for a "Sonic 2 CD" by gaming magazines at the time.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CuttingRoomWiki/status/1188198930401509376

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Another shot of the redesign has apparently been spotted in the wild:

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1188297934170972160

It actually looks like it got a few very small updates in its design too. It's looking really good! Assuming this is real WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know this seems weird in the Sonic thread, but has anyone else played Sayonara Wild Hearts? I love it, and it honestly borrows a lot from 3D Sonic games (hilariously probably Secret Rings and mach speed sections more than anything). Your character automatically moves forward and the general goal is to collect hearts (basically rings) with the occasional big heart, and these diamond-shaped heart tokens that are usually in weird or off-the-obvious-path places (red rings), with the occasional QTE time the button press sorta thing.

It kind of reminds me of a synthy dreampop lesbian Sonic game (which I'm sure is a fanfic SOMEWHERE). Complete with completely random gimmicks in half the stages that can drastically affect your character's handling or just add things like screen wraparound temporarily. It's obviously a bit different in the margins, it's a high score game and the death penalty is losing your combo (each heart is worth one more point than the last), but it has some broad similarities.

Like, obviously Sonic doesn't have some sole claim on "run forward and collect the things that give points," It borrows heavily from like, Bit.Trip Runner and Audiosurf etc as well, but it may be worth checking out if you like 3D Sonic. Also it's cheap, made me cry, and is incredibly beautiful and A E S T H E T I C.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 27, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Another shot of the redesign has apparently been spotted in the wild:

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1188297934170972160

It actually looks like it got a few very small updates in its design too. It's looking really good! Assuming this is real WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE
Because executives have egos the size of countries and think they can do better. You can’t claim any credit when the design is just, you know, Sonic so you reject the obvious initial designs put on your desk until you have something that looks good to whatever execs think will sell.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I know this seems weird in the Sonic thread, but has anyone else played Sayonara Wild Hearts?

No, but for $13 on the Switch, I'll certainly give it a try.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Salad Plain Zone

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Sonic's mouth is normally drawn on the side of his face, and animating it properly requires doing it by hand. If you give him a weird human mouth in the center, you can try to cut corners by doing everything with motion capture. I don't think they gave it much thought beyond that.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Linear Zoetrope posted:

synthy dreampop lesbian Sonic game

Sold.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Fowler is responsible for getting the movie delayed and Sonic re-designed, he's pretty cool.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hot take, but ring fit adventure is a better modern Sonic game than forces

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zelder posted:

Hot take, but ring fit adventure is a better modern Sonic game than forces

I’d buy the gently caress out of a Sonic game that used the ring.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW25LsLmOTs

Sonic 3D Blast song that was reused for Pleasure Castle in Sonic Adventure

do we ever talk about how loving weird the name pleasure castle is

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sayonara Wild Hearts owns because as has been observed it has a lot of Sonic-like traits and also has a lot of the same bullshit problems that certain Sonic games have but due to a combination of a) unbelievably powerful aesthetic b) considerately letting you skip bits you suck at (but also letting you turn that option off) c) having lots of extremely quickfire stages and d) having hella checkpoints it powers through these flaws and keeps you right in the intended flow.

Its achievements are nonsense but ehhhhhhh. I'd like to say I was sold by the lesbian motorcycle swordfight but that would involve me having to pretend I wasn't sold long before that point by basically any other setpiece in the game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

Sorry we have Salad Plain now.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Is this some Japanese idiom that doesn't carry to English well in a literal translation?

↓↓↓ Ahhh, okay. Thanks! ↓↓↓

azurite fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 28, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

azurite posted:

Is this some Japanese idiom that doesn't carry to English well in a literal translation?
It's just a play on words because that prototype was shown at Yuusei Sega World and "You Say!" is a homophone. Don't think it goes any deeper than that.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/cabbusses/status/1188319022280036352

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

I heard the Pleasure Castle is just a few miles off Genocide City, and it's a beautiful castle sitting atop the Dust Hill.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Freedom Planet 2 bullshit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiOnfWPR2Yk

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Found this remix of Mirage Saloon's music that gives it the knuckles rap treatment it was made for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5SLHAu1ZJY

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone grabbing super monkey balls?
Sonic is in there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good to see they are quadrupling down on the worst part of FP

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

They're also expanding on Classic mode too. That's just a trailer designed to show off Adventure mode. In general FP2 is adding a bunch of stuff.

Edit:

Here's the part of their stream where they go into Classic mode to show off whats changed. They show off the first 2 levels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRuIxKxcEA&t=387s

Ventana fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 29, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm glad they're living their best lives and making the game they want to, complete with over dramatic fan-fiction caliber plot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

Anyone grabbing super monkey balls?
Sonic is in there

I wish they'd remade a better Monkey Ball game

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Oxyclean posted:

I'm glad they're living their best lives and making the game they want to, complete with over dramatic fan-fiction caliber plot.

I unironically like this part, because I spent my formative years reading Archie's Sonic comics and am now a broken human being. Dumb furry melodrama is my jam.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I was sorely disappointed that Sonic Mania didn't play exactly like Serato DJ Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I also like to see a story trailer for a game and then make the logical assumption that the game is literally only story