Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I decide "I never get to play PW decks because I'm not blowing WCs on duplicates, also I'm sick of my decks being neutralized by Oko decks" so I decide to put together Niv-Mizzet PWs for Brawl.
2 Games: Torban (which I stabilize by the skin of my teeth) and Vraska, Swarm's Eminence (the deathtouch one).
I felt like such a dick throwing PWs at deathtouch tribal that I switched to Yarok (which sounds bad but has not been working well)...and promptly ran into Oko.
Which I then beat because they got greedy trying to use their ult multiple times to steal my Vannifar/Yarok so I overran them with Yarok/FotD/End-Raze Forerunners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yarok is super soft to Oko so don't feel bad for running it, imo. And feel good for beating Oko with it.

thespaceinvader posted:

The thing that really bugs me with walkers generally, but other Legendaries as well, is that you can have multiple of them in a deck. It seems silly to have a card type specifically designed to be 'this is a unique individual' and allow you to have four of them in your deck, let alone the loving fifteen you can get of Chandra specifically.
It's not a unique individual, but rather a summoning spell for what can be described as a story. In the case of legends, it was (seriously, look at the OG set: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type%3Alegendary+set%3Aleg) basically you were summoning this storied character at the peak of their power. Hence how Livonya Silone's flavor text describes her as more of a local legend, or how Gabriel Angelfire looks like he sucks and then sucks ok I'm not saying Legends was perfectly executed. But it's in the name: Legends.

I don't like the legendary supertype either and I don't think they execute it well. Walkers, eh, they're more like mercenaries. You don't summon or kill them, hence "loyalty". I'm not fond of how pushed the card type has gotten or the fact it used to be really risky running multiples of the same named walker before they changed it, since you could only have 1 Chandra on the battlefield. But that was a "drawback".

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

thespaceinvader posted:

The thing that really bugs me with walkers generally, but other Legendaries as well, is that you can have multiple of them in a deck. It seems silly to have a card type specifically designed to be 'this is a unique individual' and allow you to have four of them in your deck, let alone the loving fifteen you can get of Chandra specifically.

It really bugs me most to spend a decent amount of effort and resources to remove a troublesome planeswalker in a clever way, then just have them dump down a second copy, use its powerful -3 or whatever, then dump down a third copy.

Like... there's only supposed to be one of this person, if you want to dump them out again, you should have to find some way to bring them back from the graveyard, surely?

This may be why I like Brawl.

Speaking of broken metas, is the bot setup for limited with War of the Spark any less lovely and heavily weighted towards mill than it is for Eldraine? I've got my weekly free access to a Bo1 draft coming up today and I'd like to pick one I have a chance to win in instead of mill in.

The first time the legendary rule was introduced this is exactly how it worked. The problem is that basically all variants of the legendary rule until now create weird and unsatisfying situations, like people playing Lorwyn Jace alongside JTMS so you could easily kill your opponents Jace, or Masques block where whoever played their Lin-Sivvi first won because your opponent couldn't play theirs.

War draft is fine, the main issue with the bots is that you want to be some combination of the Grixis colours as the bots underdraft them. White is really bad. It's a pretty balanced format for Arena draft though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm not fond of how pushed the card type has gotten or the fact it used to be really risky running multiples of the same named walker before they changed it, since you could only have 1 Chandra on the battlefield. But that was a "drawback".

I was really suprised the first time some fucker plopped 3 chandras on the battlefield. When did they change that rule anyway?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Truga posted:

I was really suprised the first time some fucker plopped 3 chandras on the battlefield. When did they change that rule anyway?

Ixalan

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The legendary rules rule because Kethis

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They changed the rules because your cards should just always work and do what they say they’re gonna do. The old legendary rule was confusing and dumb and even further favored Play vs Draw.

PS: for any White mana mates who lament the fact that White sucks hot clam chowder in every format, it’s actually sweet in Brawl. I built Oketra Hatebears and Feather and honestly T2 Hushbringer just fucks with so many decks. It feels incredibly powerful. Alela is also an also deck, and the best cards in it are all White.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Arena would be dead if it launched with this standard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL they banned Rampaging Ferocidon for being too good at 3 mana, lololololol

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Panzeh posted:

Technically Arena launched with this standard

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MikeCrotch posted:

The first time the legendary rule was introduced this is exactly how it worked. The problem is that basically all variants of the legendary rule until now create weird and unsatisfying situations, like people playing Lorwyn Jace alongside JTMS so you could easily kill your opponents Jace, or Masques block where whoever played their Lin-Sivvi first won because your opponent couldn't play theirs.

War draft is fine, the main issue with the bots is that you want to be some combination of the Grixis colours as the bots underdraft them. White is really bad. It's a pretty balanced format for Arena draft though.

I wish I'd read this before I drafted a decent-enough red/white deck to get me to 3 wins then lose to a guy who drew at least 5 planeswalkers from 3 packs.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I guess nobody told you that white is mostly unplayable in WAR.

if you want a good primer on War of the Spark draft, listen to Lords of Limited podcast episode 104: 50 WAR takes in 50 minutes. the hosts go over what they've learned in 3 months of drafting and distill it down into less than an hour. whenever there's an older format available I listen to the corresponding 50 takes episode as a refresher, they're really good.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah the meta is horrifying and the lack of deck variety is really hurting the game at every level of play. Currently I'm only playing to complete quests because I bought the Master Pass - I don't want to play an Oko deck, they bore the gently caress out of me.

I guess I could learn how to Draft and leave Traditional Standard until someone builds a deck that can beat Simic Food.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Playin wolfs still

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
UG is the prettiest and best colour pair, why wouldn't you play UG

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

if you want a good primer on War of the Spark draft, listen to Lords of Limited podcast episode 104: 50 WAR takes in 50 minutes. the hosts go over what they've learned in 3 months of drafting and distill it down into less than an hour. whenever there's an older format available I listen to the corresponding 50 takes episode as a refresher, they're really good.

Not quickly enough, no. I found a couple of fun tricks but I was mostly leaning on red amass and Gideon's Sacrifice, which is genuinely funny.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

war is self correcting in real drafts but on arena you should never draft white under any circumstances, and you should only draft green if you open a bomb rare.

decent r/b/u commons are a better p1p1 than the white god-eternal

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i feel like the four people who were golden state warriors fans before they got really good

i've always liked ug, even when it sucked :(

also i very much regret slam dunking all my wild cards day one of eldraine standard to build a real good oko deck. first time i'm mad about having crafted the bets deck in the format, cause now i want to play ANYTHING else. most fun i've had in oko standard was building mono colored decks to finish my dailies.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I guess I could build Simic Flash and annoy the gently caress out of people on ladder, but the enthusiasm is just not there. Also what if I'm against a deck that can play more than one card each turn, what then.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/pmby89/status/1188816369221095424?s=21

The problem isn’t just that the format is stale the problem is also that the only way to be competitive is to go out and buy a playset of a card which means that even though standard Manabases are the cheapest they’ve been in like literally five years youre still pricing out tons of players and potential grinders on a single playset of one mythic pushing them into $200 before they even get to the rest of the deck

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lmao what modern decks is this person getting for under $800 let alone two of them? unless their idea is just two copies of burn but even that will run you five hundy each.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kawabata posted:

I guess I could build Simic Flash and annoy the gently caress out of people on ladder, but the enthusiasm is just not there. Also what if I'm against a deck that can play more than one card each turn, what then.

You know you could just get a blog rather than posting your inner thoughts here, right?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/pmby89/status/1188816369221095424?s=21

The problem isn’t just that the format is stale the problem is also that the only way to be competitive is to go out and buy a playset of a card which means that even though standard Manabases are the cheapest they’ve been in like literally five years youre still pricing out tons of players and potential grinders on a single playset of one mythic pushing them into $200 before they even get to the rest of the deck

Plus, they are going to ban that 240 dollar playset of Okos soon

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Kawabata posted:

It's fun if you want to dunk on people who play Oko decks, since with things like Mystical Dispute you just counter all their dumb stuff. It's less fun if you want to be automatically "opponent going first"-ed every time your opponent is playing Mono Red. (That's probably not what actually happens, but it sure feels that way.)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I thought oko elking a nissa land made it lose hast?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Arivia posted:

UG is the prettiest and best colour pair, why wouldn't you play UG

***UGuuuuuuuuuu*** ^_^

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

th3t00t posted:

I thought oko elking a nissa land made it lose hast?

It does. But that doesn't stop it attacking if you've controlled it continuously since the beginning of your turn.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Here are the decks that made it past day 2 of the MCQ:

https://aetherhub.com/Article/Top-16-decklists-from-the-Mythic-Championship-Qualifier-VII

Oko actually (narrowly) overperformed vs his 63% representation in day 2.

Of the 5 non-Oko decks there's rakdos catfood, azorious control (!), two GB adventures, and a temur rec. if youre lookin for something thats not oko and might be 50% vs oko you can start there.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 28, 2019

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

Someone was looking for a newer version of Esper Dance, Sjow has one up on Streamdecker here: https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/xezDiCYvS

From the version I had it subs all the Field hate for Oko hate. Seems about right.

1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
3 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
4 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Golden Egg (ELD) 220
4 Guild Globe (WAR) 239
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Island (ELD) 257
4 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
3 Plains (ELD) 252
3 Swamp (ELD) 260
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
1 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
1 Wishclaw Talisman (ELD) 110

3 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
4 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
4 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110

edit: don't queue this into some korvold sacrifice synergy deck...

beedub fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 28, 2019

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
He didn't do too well with that deck vs Oko from what I saw.

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

Isn't it kind of a given that nothing is good against Oko at this point? Except even more Oko and some black cards?

Next up to try is that Temur Rec deck from MCQ top 16!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the best deck against oko is an oko deck with some black so it can kill their oko

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I really love that I can’t even run jank in the play queue. Just gettin curb stomped by tuned up bullshit.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

beedub posted:

Isn't it kind of a given that nothing is good against Oko at this point? Except even more Oko and some black cards?

Next up to try is that Temur Rec deck from MCQ top 16!
I was trying out that Grixis Fires deck posted above in the unranked queue.

I managed the OTK combo against Oko a couple times, which was fun, but the deck's really soft to aggro, so I dunno about laddering with it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I really love that I can’t even run jank in the play queue. Just gettin curb stomped by tuned up bullshit.

Brawl is good for running jank, but you will tend to just get stomped in different ways.

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

Yeah I just play/post fun stuff now, a few months back I was really tryharding on ladder but now I just play interesting tier 2 stuff and seem to have a lot more fun?

Temur rec is good but in the ranked dumpster too many people fold when you get reclamation down, and you don't get to properly go off.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I wish they did that standard shakeup event with a lot of the most popular meta cards banned more often.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Good lord. I'm watching Nizzahon play limited and he's typically someone who tries to avoid playing the most degenerate strategies and he saw *7* Secretkeepers and had no choice but to play mill. They really didn't change anything up for the draft bots did they?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hey I took a couple weeks off did anyone build a deck that stomps Oko decks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People keep labeling decks as “Sultai Food” with zero black cards in the 75, super annoying. I mean I know it all bleeds together but geeze take a second.

One neat thing to point out is that Temur Rec is about as budget as it gets. It’s a solidly T2+ deck with no planewalkers and besides the shock lands it’s exclusively made of cards under $2.