Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Or his blue hair.

Come to think of it, I don't think we saw any crazy Tyroshi hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

Or his blue hair.

Come to think of it, I don't think we saw any crazy Tyroshi hair.

The only good things in the later seasons were the results of poo poo from the earlier seasons that they couldn't write around or blatantly ignore.

Someone give me counter-examples of this because as a flippant comment I think it could be the truth

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I feel like in the midst of all this news the fact that they deliberately endangered an infant, despite the parent's objections, just so they could get a clear shot of the kid's penis is not getting enough coverage.

https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188198257207468033

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Totally stoked to watch that show about House Targaryen that eventually ends with their last two members turning into Flying Hitler and then dying because a bell rang, while the other looked hella sad all his life then wandered off to become a lumberjack because his cousin used him as a pawn to become king.

Who is this show being made for? The audience is gone and it's not coming back.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The next series shouldn't even be a prequel, it should be sequel about half dead, half tree monster that has assimilated the mind of a powerful warg, can see through time and space and oh yeah, is also the King of Westeros.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The next Game of Thrones should be a sequel where Dr. Hannibal Lecter transplants Bran into a parking lot outside Baltimore and Will Graham follows the clues Hannibal left him

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Looking forward to Game of Thrones: Brotherhood in a decade.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And how could any story they tell compare to that of Bran the Broken anyway

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Flayer posted:

It's obvious they were hacks the moment the TV series passed the books and GoT turned into completely humdrum rubbish.

I doubt they were fired from Star Wars though, even if they are hacks judging from that interview they seem to think they have learned a lot and felt chained to GoT so it's not surprising they would pick the Netflix option that allows them more freedom rather than going to a long running and very restrictive franchise.

Really the evolution of fan sentiment was interesting. There were naysayers during seasons 5, 6, and 7, and loud arguments about show quality during 7, but suddenly the prevailing wisdom that "season 7 is great and you just don't want to like it nerds" stopped prevailing as 8 set in.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Really the evolution of fan sentiment was interesting. There were naysayers during seasons 5, 6, and 7, and loud arguments about show quality during 7, but suddenly the prevailing wisdom that "season 7 is great and you just don't want to like it nerds" stopped prevailing as 8 set in.

The thing I've always explained to people is that everyone has a limit. It's not that they liked those episodes, it's that their problems with those episodes were excused by "Oh it's all building up" or "I just don't get it." the thing is, once your personal combo finisher lands (be it time, a bad episode, a bad moment) all those things you excused as being perfectly fine before, suddenly crush down upon you as "Holy poo poo this was bad."

It's kinda like the honeymoon period, but broken when something of sufficient terrible quality has happened.

unburied
Jun 8, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Didn't they get the netflix deal before the disney deal? I thought that's how it was. So maybe Netflix just hasn't pulled out yet, or can't.

As far as I can tell the news broke about the Netflix deal broke in August. They were attached to Star Wars since February of 2018.

That Netflix is throwing them a Walter White barrel of cash after Season 8 is just perplexing.

Here's a tip for you Netflix: If you want to throw barrels of cash at something, throw it at a good IP/story. That D&D freely admit that the first season succeeded despite them being ill-prepared to steer that ship (while also being bad writers) is a testament to how much a good story/IP and production value can carry a show.

Despite my tip, I'm ready to be disappointed with Netflix's The Witcher. The story just isn't in the same league as ASoIaF, Andrzej Sapkowski is a dick, and the trailer makes the production look shoddy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Onmi posted:

The thing I've always explained to people is that everyone has a limit. It's not that they liked those episodes, it's that their problems with those episodes were excused by "Oh it's all building up" or "I just don't get it." the thing is, once your personal combo finisher lands (be it time, a bad episode, a bad moment) all those things you excused as being perfectly fine before, suddenly crush down upon you as "Holy poo poo this was bad."

It's kinda like the honeymoon period, but broken when something of sufficient terrible quality has happened.

Yeah, that was me. I was perfectly willing to excuse the show right up till the moment Arya killed the Night King, purely on the grounds of “Eh, the show’s gonna give me an ending to this story that GRRM has clearly given up on. At least these guys seem like they can bring it in competently.”

Then I read all the plot leaks for the end of the series and had a five stages of grief crash course over the span of three days. Luckily though, years of posting in The Bad Theard had readied me for the moment when I finally came to hate the show in earnest.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

unburied posted:

As far as I can tell the news broke about the Netflix deal broke in August. They were attached to Star Wars since February of 2018.

That Netflix is throwing them a Walter White barrel of cash after Season 8 is just perplexing.

Here's a tip for you Netflix: If you want to throw barrels of cash at something, throw it at a good IP/story. That D&D freely admit that the first season succeeded despite them being ill-prepared to steer that ship (while also being bad writers) is a testament to how much a good story/IP and production value can carry a show.

Despite my tip, I'm ready to be disappointed with Netflix's The Witcher. The story just isn't in the same league as ASoIaF, Andrzej Sapkowski is a dick, and the trailer makes the production look shoddy.

I'd say Dark Crystal shows that an IP and a proper creator can make something amazing.
Although I'm still excited for The Witcher.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Netflix made Bright, they clearly don't give a gently caress about who they throw money at.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I became a naysayer after season 5 (Still liked watching but thought the show was in decline) and merely bringing that up caused people to label me as a book purist that couldn't accept that the show was catching up to GRRM.

It's nice to be vindicated at the end of the day. :agesilaus:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Let's not kid ourselves here. We're all watching that loving prequel when it lands.

:shepspends:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m watching the prequel and I unironically expect it to be loving great

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The only good things in the later seasons were the results of poo poo from the earlier seasons that they couldn't write around or blatantly ignore.

Someone give me counter-examples of this because as a flippant comment I think it could be the truth

This is just about my take. There is some good stuff in season 5-8 but it's almost entirely in character bits or whatever where my actual investment in it is purely from the strength of the first 4 seasons.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Even 8-2 was good, at least at first. It set up the idea that lots of these characters aren't making it through so let's sit with them all one last time.

Then nearly all of them made it through, cheapening it dramatically in retrospect.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Sky Shadowing posted:

Even 8-2 was good, at least at first. It set up the idea that lots of these characters aren't making it through so let's sit with them all one last time.

Then nearly all of them made it through, cheapening it dramatically in retrospect.

I remember the ASOIAF subreddit having all these gigantic theories of how they thought episode 3 was going to pan out complete with the battle tactics they'd use, who would die and how they'd eventually find out that the Night King bypassed Winterfell to go to King's Landing.

Boy, were they disappointed.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I was actually really positive on 8-2 because it was a quiet slow paced episode that was really selling me on just how dramatic the next episode was going to be. I was all on board to give all these characters on more quiet night of character scenes and little vignettes.

Then 8-3 poo poo all over it, what a loving waste.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vichan posted:

I remember the ASOIAF subreddit having all these gigantic theories of how they thought episode 3 was going to pan out complete with the battle tactics they'd use, who would die and how they'd eventually find out that the Night King bypassed Winterfell to go to King's Landing.

Boy, were they disappointed.

Man I remember how loving INTO all those fantheory videos I was going into season 8...

And yeah. I was FINE with what I thought was all these characters getting a final scene; it was retrospectively ruined by 8-3 though because it meant so much less.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Cactus posted:

Let's not kid ourselves here. We're all watching that loving prequel when it lands.

:shepspends:

I'll watch whatever, but I had more interest in the Age Of Heroes/ancient history one and the possible study about how different legends are from the historical facts than I am in a more recent struggle

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I remember coming to work with a giant beaming smile on my face after 8-3 because I knew I got to finally be smug about saying the show sucked for three years and there was absolutely no way anyone would be able to defend it anymore.

8-3 killed the entire run of the show. The rest of the ending could have worked out if 8-3 hadn't bumbled what was arguably the biggest threat and longest looming plot line of the entire series in such a sophomoric way.

Kill off a bunch of main characters, deplete the giant army, maybe have the south try to attack right after the battle to build up even more tension and not have another lounging around episode, and then follow the rest basically as scripted.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Welp, that was quick

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1189332693361876994

I could actually see this being watchable as long as its done right (Weiss and Benioff not being involved). Dance of the Dragons has the feudal politics and backstabbing that made the first few seasons of GOT good. The Age of Heroes prequel was never going to work, since any mystery about the white walkers was completely squashed in the last season.

So it's still going to be a dragon titty incest show then?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The best part of season 8 was when Arya killed the Night King and confirmed that all the utterly stupid and ridiculous leaks that everyone thought were fake were actually true and that the rest of the season was going to be a complete shitshow

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
dany kinda forgot about the iron fleet

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The only good thing to come out of S8 is still this

https://twitter.com/itslaurenyap/status/1120382902280314881?s=21

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, there's no way in hell that Disney was handing over the budget for 3 star wars movies without having an ironclad contract with the people that were doing it. The idea that Netflix outbid Disney on anything that Disney cares about and had first is ridiculous. At best Disney said "hey, we're gonna put this on hold, so if you find something else go ahead and take it." More likely it was "we're not doing this anymore, you have 3 months to find something before we announce it."

joepinetree, collect your prize:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1189568437208662016

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah that sounds about right. Season 8 was so amazingly bad they basically got pulled off star wars days afterward.

Not surprised disney is a bit gun shy with how poorly star wars has been recieved the last 4 years or w/e (and the 20 before that)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

unburied posted:

If it's money laundering, then they do not really get to keep whatever barrel of cash. They will immediately owe most of it to someone who they will not want to be in debt to for very long (criminal enterprise). So rest assured that the ridiculous sum of money might not be for them. (e: but it's for someone worse).

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 30, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

A Typical Goon posted:

The best part of season 8 was when Arya killed the Night King and confirmed that all the utterly stupid and ridiculous leaks that everyone thought were fake were actually true and that the rest of the season was going to be a complete shitshow

I never cared much for spoilers in previous seasons but after Arya killing the Night King I went into the spoiler thread because I wanted to know what other stupid things were coming.

It gave me a certain amount of serenity for the rest of the season because I knew that, yep, it was going to get dumber and dumber. Some of my friends wondered why I was so calm after each episode and I would just be like "I don't know, I guess I just don't have the energy to be upset."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, I stand corrected. I figured Disney wouldn't hesitate to just come out and say that.

So, with that in mind, I can now LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

And it's not as if newer Star Wars films are bastions of quality. But they had to nope out of that deal once they saw that trainwreck.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Come on. The finale sucked, but no executive threw his drink at the screen and yelled into a phone "GET THESE CLOWNS OFF MY STAR WARS"

In this hellworld of rich white dudes never being held accountable, I refuse to believe they were 'punished' for loving up GoT or a day's worth of Twitter blowing up about it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The mattering has begun, friend, accept it. It began here.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

davidspackage posted:

Come on. The finale sucked, but no executive threw his drink at the screen and yelled into a phone "GET THESE CLOWNS OFF MY STAR WARS"

In this hellworld of rich white dudes never being held accountable, I refuse to believe they were 'punished' for loving up GoT or a day's worth of Twitter blowing up about it.

You're right, its much more likely they're sex pests behind the scenes and actually got punished for that :hmbol:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What if they just pitch Confederate to Netflix but with like 2 changes.