Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon posted:

Man I mean I'll fully admit I don't know a whole lot about HR, but I gotta say I think if I were trying to get people to come work for my video games company I'd probably start somewhere other than "we have a cool coffee maker (and you have to make your own loving latte)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
No cats in the CIG office?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Megalobster posted:

"Work well in a cooperative environment" being said twice in the skills section after they corrected it once already, because some randoTwitter noticed that their offer's deadline was in June. CI not G professionalism never disappoint.

Or maybe it's intentional, "working well in a cooperative environment" being corporate talk for "we'll suck your blood dry and you won't be paid overtime". It really needs to be stressed twice.

I sort of wonder if it's code for "Won't quit when Crobearts yells about impossible things after you've worked 100 hours that week"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Hav posted:

They started the year with a hundred (100) positions to fill (Edit: In *January*) after the Calders windfall, and one of the things that I pointed out is that it's really quite hard to fill positions, especially if the industry is becoming aware of you.

They've filled 27. Now I'm not suggesting that it's entirely static, but managing to hit 27% of your target is pleasingly in-character.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/join-us/studio/uk
Wilmslow has 40 position open. Quite a few seniors, too.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Agony Aunt posted:

I'd apply, but apparently i know nothing about software development.

That's okay, you'll fit perfectly with the dorks at CI(not)G.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
What is this lack of taxxe?!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why exactly did they rename "Janitor" to "Day Porter"

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

eXXon posted:

No, Demon's Souls had a world 'tendency' that got darker (meaning harder enemies) every time you died. The first level also had an enemy that could kill you in one hit - not hidden or anything, just there if you chose to turn left after crossing a bridge instead of the literal right way. It was a sadistic piece of poo poo game.

Ah, must just be Dark Souls then.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pixelate posted:

FEMALE CHARACTER MODEL SWITCHES TO MALE WHILE IN GAME

quote:

EXPECTED RESULT:

Female character should not switch to male character, and should remain female character throughout all interactions.

Star Citizen: Female character should remain female

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bubbacub posted:

Star Citizen: Female character should remain female

I see the patriarchy's heteronormative agenda is still alive and well in the depths of gaming.

SoftNum posted:

I sort of wonder if it's code for "Won't quit when Crobearts yells about impossible things after you've worked 100 hours that week"

More like, 'if the manager is working the weekend, you're expected to work the weekend'. There's a huge difference between the UK work ethic and that of different parts of America. The UK and New York share a similar pace, while here in the south we start shading to slightly wider margins on deadlines. Younger employees tend to get pushed into longer hours simply because they don't know (or lack seniority/experience/knowing where the bodies are buried).

Web Madness
Apr 25, 2008
Star Citizen broke my heart. All I wanted was Freelancer 2, not a 7-year Alpha pyramid scheme (ashamed owner of the 300i something or other).

At least there’s this - Diablo 2... in space: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace-2/description

The best part is, if successful, both Everspace 1 and 2 will have launched within the Star Citizen development cycle :mmmhmm:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

Does CIG strike you as the kind of place to pay any taxx?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Thoatse posted:

lmao

The full Chick Tract comic is ripe for Galorex's touch or any of the thread's talented shoopers to fix https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=25

Yikes, that's a pretty rough one. Aren't these supposed to be given to kids? Prison rape resulting in AIDS seems a bit much.
I'm not entirely clear on why the cop is undercover as one of the Village People but I don't understand tract development so that's probably it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thom12255 posted:

Can't trust the Kzin... erm, Kilrathi's relatives.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Aesaar posted:

My favorite bit about that is that he claims he wants death to mean something in this non-game, and to reinforce the point, he cites a game series in which death means almost nothing. There's almost no cost to dying in Souls games. That's the central conceit of the series. Every time you die, you're almost certainly still better off than when you started, and the only way you lose is by giving up.

He probably just heard Demon Souls was a hard game and mentions it because he wants Star Citizen to be hard too.

And to be fair, it is hard to accomplish anything in SC.

Dork Souls

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

I see the patriarchy's heteronormative agenda is still alive and well in the depths of gaming.

More like, 'if the manager is working the weekend, you're expected to work the weekend'. There's a huge difference between the UK work ethic and that of different parts of America. The UK and New York share a similar pace, while here in the south we start shading to slightly wider margins on deadlines. Younger employees tend to get pushed into longer hours simply because they don't know (or lack seniority/experience/knowing where the bodies are buried).

I've heard many times of americans being shocked with UK working conditions. 4 weeks paid holiday, additional sick days, "sickies" (everyone pulls one or two a year), and of course, the traditional 2 hour long Friday pub lunch (or as it was in my case, the Monday to Friday 2 hour long pub lunch).

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fidelitious posted:

Yikes, that's a pretty rough one. Aren't these supposed to be given to kids? Prison rape resulting in AIDS seems a bit much.
I'm not entirely clear on why the cop is undercover as one of the Village People but I don't understand tract development so that's probably it.

The inevitable consequences of Chic Tracts

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

eXXon posted:

No, Demon's Souls had a world 'tendency' that got darker (meaning harder enemies) every time you died. The first level also had an enemy that could kill you in one hit - not hidden or anything, just there if you chose to turn left after crossing a bridge instead of the literal right way. It was a sadistic piece of poo poo game.

I especially loathed those stupid crystal lizards that spawned once in a playthrough and had some random damage resistance, requiring a very specific strategy to kill them. That meant you either cheated and read a wiki ahead of the encounter, re-rolled or tried again in NG.

Come to think of it... it's perfect for Star Citizen. I hope CR manages to implement it, but that seems like a longshot at this point.

JugbandDude fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 31, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1189917053853077506

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PMSL

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

I also constantly question if "excellent English" is UK for "Whites only" because of course it would be.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, RIP the entire MMO genre I guess

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

HO YES ! The doom's blog will be worth quoting I'm sure.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

eXXon posted:

Demon Souls is both a hard game and a game where death means nothing. Both the story and the gameplay are based around that idea: you're an invincible immortal dude that can only be beaten by making you give up.

The game expects you to die over and over but death is meaningless in the long run, as long as you keep on trucking you either get lucky, git gud, or get powerful. Your final victory is a given.

Of course, unless your talking about roguelikes or hardcore modes, death is mostly a non issue in most games but the soul series goes the the extra mile and makes the continue button part of the setting.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 31, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, RIP the entire MMO genre I guess

Lethality and his 4k followers are about to destroy the genre.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Haven't most of the projects he's backed or gets behind failed or are in the process of failing? His endorsement is the touch of death.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Haven't most of the projects he's backed or gets behind failed or are in the process of failing? His endorsement is the touch of death.

the game has to be niche enough that he can be a big man in the game and feel important in something. That rules out any game that is popular or any games that are likely to succeed and have an early strong backing.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Wow I need some context on that.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Ahdinko posted:

In Derby that is solid money. In Wilmslow it is poo poo because its quite an affluent area, but if you live in the cheaper areas outside of Wilmslow, it's probably not too bad.

If you can land that job in Derby for 65k where the average home price is £200k, you're laughing all the way to the bank.

The average home price in Wilmslow is £435k

No kidding, I just moved from Derby and I am selling what is, frankly, one of the best flats/apartments in the city. It is a four year old new build right in the city center, opposite the cathedral, underground parking, a balcony overlooking the river next to a park. I am selling it for £175,000 and that is a lot more than I originally paid for it.

I was living there on about £45,000 a year and Derby is so cheap to live in that I had a disposable income of well over a thousand a month. Derby is one of the most affordable places to live in the country and 60K there would have you on the same salary as say, a senior manager at Rolls Royce leading a 15+ strong team of engineers with masters degrees. (Of course a grade 15 manager at RR would be getting 6 weeks of holiday a year, up to 3 years of fully paid sick leave and the company required to give nine months notice to sack them. Holy poo poo their contracts are good).

Also since it is Halloween, here is my spooky cat tax. She breaks mugs then poses like this, scary stuff:

Patrat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 31, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

They are probably afraid that the cats would start editing config files and break everything :pgabz: style

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SoftNum posted:

I also constantly question if "excellent English" is UK for "Whites only" because of course it would be.

What you talkin bout Willis?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
In recent news, Blizzard took a page from CIG and relied on gamers' understanding of how e-sports prize pools usually work to mislead them into accidentally crowdfunding the entire prize pool, contributing none of their own money and in fact keeping the extra. All technically allowed because of the CIG-quality defense of "that's not what we technically said. Technically we're covered."

Chris Roberts has been saving PC gaming for so many years now I almost can't remember a time before once beloved game development powerhouses all started turning the corner into predatory macro-transaction hellholes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815736915433504768
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815738144897306624
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815739490027315200
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815740761069256704
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815744046148845569
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815745288468054016
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815747226840551428
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815748768427634688
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815749610752868352
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/815751320263069696

Kickstarter projects backed by Lethality (c. September 2018)
  1. Embers of Caerus Investor Prototype
  2. Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
  3. Camelot Unchained
  4. TUG
  5. The Repopulation: A Sandbox MMORPG
  6. Crowfall - Throne War PC MMO
  7. Hero's Song (Canceled)
  8. Chronicles of Elyria - Epic Story MMORPG with Aging & Death
  9. Dual Universe :: Civilization Building Sci-Fi MMORPG
  10. Indie Microblogging: owning your short-form writing
  11. Ashes of Creation ~ New MMORPG by Intrepid Studios

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dementropy posted:

MMORPG: Star Citizen Free Fly Event Going On Now

No Max Bacon in the comments?
No Erillion?

Attrition takes its toll on even the best community members.

Blobers is there though. Also from the thread:

quote:

Quick little fun fact:

If SC really has 500+ people working on it, assuming 8 hours a day, per year, that is 1,040,000 man hours. It's been in development since 2011 - that would be around 8,320,000 man hours spent so far on this game.

It took only 7,000,000 man hours to build the empire state building, and they did it in one year.

:laffo:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

3. Camelot Unchained
  4. TUG
[/quote]

Just for funsies:

Camelot Unchained is technically in alpha, and is something on the order of four years late. the latest update talks about 6 engineers looking at pathfinding code.
Ashes is dead afaik.
Elyria is still vaoprware but realistically it's only been 3 years. OFC that's still 2 years late but.
Crowfall seems to exist? It's like 4 or 5 years late but maybe there will be a game?
Repopulation apparently dumped poo poo alpha out the door in 2016 and nobody has heard from them since. You can go buy it EA on steam.
TUG was abandoned in 2017 and became a chinese mobile game.
Embers is SUPER dead. like they don't even own the domain for the last 5 years dead.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RIP all those games.

He really does know how to pick them.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

RIP all those games.

He really does know how to pick them.

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/977222663025381376
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/965789739835101184
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/969762755396931584
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/997810148612739073

Eurogamer: Another SpatialOS game's been canned, making it the third this year - Lazarus' cancellation follows Mavericks: Proving Grounds and Worlds Adrift

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

SoftNum posted:

3. Camelot Unchained
  4. TUG

Just for funsies:

Camelot Unchained is technically in alpha, and is something on the order of four years late. the latest update talks about 6 engineers looking at pathfinding code.
Ashes is dead afaik.
Elyria is still vaoprware but realistically it's only been 3 years. OFC that's still 2 years late but.
Crowfall seems to exist? It's like 4 or 5 years late but maybe there will be a game?
Repopulation apparently dumped poo poo alpha out the door in 2016 and nobody has heard from them since. You can go buy it EA on steam.
TUG was abandoned in 2017 and became a chinese mobile game.
Embers is SUPER dead. like they don't even own the domain for the last 5 years dead.

Wow, some of the comments on those Kickstarter pages... it's like a thousand Fox Mulders all got together and started chanting "I want to believe..."

The future of Store Citizer right there folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Things that never happened dot text.