Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

shout out to that guy for sincerely replying to getfiscal lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LOL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Sounds like a great way to get arrested for violating securities laws, but I'm not a lawyer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Civil disobedience, but monetised

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its amazing how Occupy Wall Street helped light a spark that eventually led to a resurgent left and the Bernie campaign, but everyone who actually started the thing turned out to be either hardcore neoliberals or reactionary dark enlightenment types

I honestly still don't really understand it

Lol private kindergarden admissions boards, wtf is that

Talk about telling on yourself

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Oct 31, 2019

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Feldegast42 posted:

Its amazing how Occupy Wall Street helped light a spark that eventually led to a resurgent left and the Bernie campaign, but everyone who actually started the thing turned out to be either hardcore neoliberals or reactionary dark enlightenment types

:ssh: when the rubber hits the road on mass political protest movements, the formal leadership often doesn't have much control over the movement itself and usually is just desperately trying to keep up with events and maybe issue a couple of directives that hopefully get some kind of traction

see: the french revolutionary leadership in 1789/1848

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Spergin Morlock posted:

Sounds like a great way to get arrested for violating securities laws, but I'm not a lawyer

short some stock in a company right before you have your anarchist commune lay siege to their offices

bing bong so simple

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
that's up there with Time Magazine Person of the Year 2006, except the dude's sincere

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Feldegast42 posted:

Makes a lot of sense considering you're describing species of social climbers who've been shut out of the traditional political organisations that cater entirely to rich boomers and actually pay enough attention to realise young people are pissed, but aren't willing to commit to actual revolutionary change that doesn't entirely involve elevating themselves.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this guy is three years from becoming Hans Gruber from Die Hard

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/HarvOpinion/status/1189370178993299456

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

No way it's not a parody account. No way. No way. I refuse to believe otherwise.

But goddamn

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ikanreed posted:

No way it's not a parody account. No way. No way. I refuse to believe otherwise.

But goddamn

it's a parody account but I think this particular opinion is sincere

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/status/1189932347640160256

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019

why would they think that's a bad look for her

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
showing up to congress in full joker makeup, completely unaware that it's halloween

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the witch civil rights lady tried to walk it back before deleting

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
There's something special about wiccans and atheists acting oppressed

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the witch civil rights lady tried to walk it back before deleting

on a whim, I GIS'd "halloween witch" and hardly any of the results have green faces

well, except for the OP, since she's holding a cannabis leaf in front of her face, which sort of deflates the argument

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ikanreed posted:

There's something special about wiccans and atheists acting oppressed

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1189916163314245639?s=20

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
the fact a lot of atheists tend to fall into Ratheist racism makes sense if they believe being oppressed is being mildly annoyed by family

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CharlestheHammer posted:

the fact a lot of atheists tend to fall into Ratheist racism makes sense if they believe being oppressed is being mildly annoyed by family
They don't though. Atheists are among the most tolerant of all "faith" groups in the US, it's just that the only ones who gain any prominence are the ones who align with conservative crusader-types on everything but their position on God.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They don't though. Atheists are among the most tolerant of all "faith" groups in the US, it's just that the only ones who gain any prominence are the ones who align with conservative crusader-types on everything but their position on God.

that’s why I specifically called a group rather than all

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Tituba was the only real victim

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

that’s why I specifically called a group rather than all

how much of a group is “a lot” then

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

how much of a group is “a lot” then

specific enough to make my point not specific enough to be immune to pedantry

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SeanMcCarthyCom/status/1190017312839090179?s=20

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

Tituba was the only real victim

Amen

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/slate/status/1189871652903038976?s=21

gently caress them kids!!!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the response is good you oaf

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Victory Position posted:

the response is good you oaf

I was obviously making fun of the person writing in but thanks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

gah

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

dear prudence owns, it's an incredible look into the minds of first world problem havers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1190043773507473408

:rolleyes:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Thats just Caliban and the Witch, to be fair

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really not seeing the hotness in that Jacobin take

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

StashAugustine posted:

Thats just Caliban and the Witch, to be fair

Yeah the broad strokes aren't particularly hot: witch hunts were part of the transition from feudal mode of production to capitalist mode of production. This particular article is a little thin, but like, c'mon what were you expecting, Jacobin isn't a scholarly publication.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

yeah Lee's got a good hot take there because if you extrapolate it, you will be driven to insanity

like, on the surface it seems good but it also is the same logic as "the Cherokee were slave owners and had it coming," and "Tulsa's Black Wall Street was built on stolen land and had it coming"

Justifying acts of persecution against a group by an oppressor because they participate in a wider oppressive system just doesn't work

basically, instead of going through an internal purge guided by the local elite, Salem should have been slaughtered by the Wampanoag

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Atrocious Joe posted:

basically, instead of going through an internal purge guided by the local elite, Salem should have been slaughtered by the Wampanoag

I'm pretty sure this is the conservative interpretation of "American Freedom, American Slavery"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

witch hunting was also a transition from a more female leadership accepting culture to a more patriarchal one