Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Turns out more players is not necessarily better. We lost 4-2. I felt like it was the best game I played personally all season, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

10 skaters is the magic number for beer league success.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Probably would have won last night if we had 10 instead of 9 :negative:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

xzzy posted:

As someone who generally plays wing, 9 and 11 are also ok. 9 gives you 2 forward lines and 3 D, 11 gives you an extra center and 4 D.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Turns out more players is not necessarily better. We lost 4-2. I felt like it was the best game I played personally all season, though.

On my old team, the best game we ever played was with 7 skaters.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's crazy how a little bit of fear activates beast mode.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bgreman posted:

As someone who generally plays wing, 9 and 11 are also ok. 9 gives you 2 forward lines and 3 D, 11 gives you an extra center and 4 D.

Only person out of my most recent 3 teams that would prefer 11.

Bewbies are you really spending 180-200 from hockeystickman? That seems a little rich for your blood????

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bgreman posted:

11 gives you an extra center

Hahaha you really crack me up there is no loving way you're actually ending up with three centers and you know it, you're going to rotate wingers and the centers will bitch at you if you ever have an issue with your changes.

I got hot brains two weeks ago and I thought the nausea gone for good a couple of days ago except it's back now. This poo poo sucks. I can't imagine how people with severe PCS go right back to playing other than from the impaired judgement.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
12 is usually the most I'd want. I play d and having more than 4 d kinda sucks.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ginette Reno posted:

12 is usually the most I'd want. I play d and having more than 4 d kinda sucks.

I won't set the lines to 5 D until we reach 14 skaters. We only have 15 skaters on our entire team, so our last game was the only time I've ever had to do that.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
What period length do y’all have? One of my leagues is 12 minute periods so more than 10-11 sucks for icetime.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Mine is 2x18 running, one 18 stop

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

15 stop. With a hard 75-minute limit, which includes warmups.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Thufir posted:

What period length do y’all have? One of my leagues is 12 minute periods so more than 10-11 sucks for icetime.

15 x 3. They run the clock in the 3rd if you're up by 5 or more.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Thufir posted:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
3 14-minute periods, followed by 5-minute running clock OT, followed by 4-round shootout.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Mine is 2x18 running, one 18 stop

Same for the Renton/east side league

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

If we're the last game, we do 18x3 with 3 stops. Otherwise it's all 3 running.

I should qualify that by saying I assume it's still that way. Since I basically sat out this past season, I didn't get the super secret invite to sign up for next season, so naturally it's already loving full and I may not get back in until February when the next season starts. loving poo poo.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Only person out of my most recent 3 teams that would prefer 11.

Bewbies are you really spending 180-200 from hockeystickman? That seems a little rich for your blood????

hell no, I think it was forty bucks per stick

also someone stole one of my teammates gear out of the back of his pickup. is there anything with less intrinsic value that very, very used hockey equipment.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
10-10-12 all stop. At our rink you get one hour of ice, and that includes the zamboni. Jealous of all of you guys that get 75+ minutes.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

After three games, our team is 1-1-1.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

After six games, we are now 2-2-2.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
All the leagues around Pittsburgh are 20-minute running. One league will go to stop clock if it's within two goals in the last two minutes of the game. That's the only one that uses a scorekeeper. In all the other leagues the refs handle the clock and scoreboard.

There was a league that tried to experiment with stop clock (14 mins) here but the scorekeeper was the league runner's kid and rarely showed up, so it usually reverted to 20 minute running.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Hey xzzy, looks like I'm your goalie again tomorrow night. Right after my normal team's game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also it's against the D2 team that somehow got to sign up in D3!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's so cute to see the inter goon love in here. Me and tank almost met up in Chicago because it was the second time we were both there at the same time by random. Just reminds me that the hockey community is incredibly small which is why I love it so much. Also, Bradford is Lights out goalie who hosed me out of a championship so there's that.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 10, 2019

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Also it's against the D2 team that somehow got to sign up in D3!

And somehow isn't that much better than either of our teams in the standings.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

It's so cute to see the inter goon love in here. Me and tank almost met up in Chicago because it was the second time we were both there at the same time by random. Just reminds me that the hockey community is incredibly small shock is why I love it so much. Also, Bradford is Lights out goalie who hosed me out of a championship so there's that.

This place is cool and good. I think we’re up to 9 of us playing this year?

Bewbies and I have been playing in tournaments for 7 years at this point I think?

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

It's so cute to see the inter goon love in here. Me and tank almost met up in Chicago because it was the second time we were both there at the same time by random. Just reminds me that the hockey community is incredibly small shock is why I love it so much. Also, Bradford is Lights out goalie who hosed me out of a championship so there's that.

We were so close at the blackhawks game yet so far in chicago. And yeah, we both live in Seattle.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Holy poo poo just got an email that someone dropped out for the season. I'm in!

Thank god, the alcoholism wasn't really working for me.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Super tired of my poo poo County league manager letting teams that win the division for 5-6 straight seasons and collect barely under the number of match penalties to not be booted out every year stay in the lowest division. Got an entire team of guys with University Of Minnesota stickers on the helmets and other such places rolling over a D3 league, but hey, why try and do poo poo about them winning every game 15-1 and getting 1-2 suspensions at the same time.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I’m looking forward to seeing xzzy’s post game interview for play of the game.

Hint: it wasn’t actually an in game play.

I’m feeling those two games in my hips now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate it already because on the way home I thought of a hundred different things to say that were actually funny.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Before the season, I told the HD that I was having a hard time recruiting players off the Silver B free agent list (that he compiles) for my Silver B team. He gave me a list of Silver A players to try, so I grabbed 2 guys off his list.

Now, 9 weeks into the season, I get an email from him saying “hmm, I see you recruited Silver A players for your B team. They will be removed from your roster at the end of the season. Please don’t do that again.”

Replying with a screenshot of his original email proved no use.

gently caress sake.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Took some thread advice and watched the hips when trying to break up plays in the neutral zone, and also just generally be more in the way. Worked pretty well except one when one of the young guys was coming in hot and I got right in front of him and he put the loving puck between my legs and danced around me, little poo poo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

Took some thread advice and watched the hips when trying to break up plays in the neutral zone, and also just generally be more in the way. Worked pretty well except one when one of the young guys was coming in hot and I got right in front of him and he put the loving puck between my legs and danced around me, little poo poo.

At that point keep your eyes on the hips and give him the bump and run.

Especially if the dude is better than you I have a feeling the officials will give you a pretty wide berth before they cal you for interference.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Like just completely get in the way? This is a weekly private shinny with no refs so as long as it's not egregious I don't think anyone will care, especially because most of the guys are bigger than me. I might get run over but I think I prefer that to getting dangled.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You’re already in the way, so when he puts it through your legs don’t look down (the second you do you’re smoked) but yeah, bump him and transition if you can.

The whole idea is to just slow him down so someone can bail you out or he has to skate further and have a worse chance on the puck.

Not saying level the dude or anything and it’s hard to control the gap between you but if you can do it you won’t feel like a pylon.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Tonight was the best I've ever felt about a loss. We played the team of ringers that has been in the championship game for the past 6 seasons and has 2 guys on the team that work for the rink, so all the other teams' complaints about them fall on deaf ears. We lost 2-1, with their 2nd goal coming off a ridiculous NHL-level perfect deflection of a slapshot. The dude probably could've had 1000 attempts at it and would never be able to replicate it.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Also, Bradford is Lights out goalie who hosed me out of a championship so there's that.

Sorry about that.

I've taken this season off from league play and am enjoying only playing in a private skate, picking game times when asked to sub, and making GBS threads it up skating out in 3v3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So is everyone having a good "find out who in your dressing room is racist" week?