Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Has anyone posted about Musk saying he's financially illiquid, then donating $1 million for trees? I guess that's really the whole story, but he's certainly not doing himself any favors in his defamation suit

I’ve done no research but it’s common for riches to donate weird poo poo and then gloat about it using some inflated market value. there’s nothing preventing him in theory from having very little cash and making big donations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
tobi lutke came in and took the top spot by donating $1,000,001

https://teamtrees.org/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

iospace posted:

But can they figure out course over ground?

Depends how close to the magnetic north pole they are?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

That's exactly what I thought but apparently he already made it

he probably didn't, but if he did, he may have just forced tesla or spacex to make the donation on his behalf

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
musk donated because he thought it was related to r/trees

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evilweasel posted:

he probably didn't, but if he did, he may have just forced tesla or spacex to make the donation on his behalf

Rookie move.

He needs to start a “charitable” foundation with his name on it, out of which he will pay any fines, settlements, and court orders he may be saddled with.

No one will investigate it before he’s president and by then it will be too late.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Rookie move.

He needs to start a “charitable” foundation with his name on it, out of which he will pay any fines, settlements, and court orders he may be saddled with.

No one will investigate it before he’s president and by then it will be too late.

that seems like a lot of effort compared to just stealing the checkbook from tesla and using it as his own

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

evilweasel posted:

that seems like a lot of effort compared to just stealing the checkbook from tesla and using it as his own

you mean transferring his ownership stake of Tesla to the foundation? yeah that's all part of the standard package

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

:iceburn:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evilweasel posted:

Have a lawyer set it up and forget about it.

The board needn’t meet in twenty years.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Apologies for a reddit link, but here's a good post that estimates Musk's CO2 emissions from his jet for one year are equal to 202 Hummer H2s driving 12k miles each.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

if launch prices dropped as much as Casey wacko thinks they will then rods from god would become economical. solar powered drones with month+ loiter time marking targets for orbital strikes

cyberpunk dystopia thread crossover

all's you'd need is a small spinning mirror

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

all's you'd need is a small spinning mirror

i want you to know how much i appreciate you being consistently on point with the real genius thing.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

MomJeans420 posted:

Apologies for a reddit link, but here's a good post that estimates Musk's CO2 emissions from his jet for one year are equal to 202 Hummer H2s driving 12k miles each.

reminder: he could be flying around in a TBM which has something like 10% of the fuel burn and be maybe 10% slower door-to-door and he could fly it directly to Burning Man. But nope, can't have that.

anyways, eat the rich.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jimmy Carter posted:

reminder: he could be flying around in a TBM which has something like 10% of the fuel burn and be maybe 10% slower door-to-door and he could fly it directly to Burning Man. But nope, can't have that.

anyways, eat the rich.

he also could literally be flying the TBM himself, since he has a PPL single/multi and an IFR rating (though his medical is way expired)

what kind of loser billionaire has a pilot's license and doesn't loving fly himself around

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I assume he’d crash faster and harder than any dentist ever

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
can you imagine the meltdown he'd have after harrison fording it onto a taxiway tho

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Looked at the line of Teslas supercharging today and only half of them had front license plates (which are legally required in California).

Tesla sells new and used cars with the front plates purposefully removed to make them look cooler, then expects the customer to install it when their license plate arrives (or file a repair request to get it installed)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oddly, the Tesla drivers who refuse to sully their car with a front plate (let's face it, those tickets are NEVER issued) have no problem slapping all those ugly HOV lane decals on.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Looked at the line of Teslas supercharging today and only half of them had front license plates (which are legally required in California).

Tesla sells new and used cars with the front plates purposefully removed to make them look cooler, then expects the customer to install it when their license plate arrives (or file a repair request to get it installed)

ok to be fair the mandatory front plate law is bullshit and they should get rid of it but yeah tesla drivers

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

he also could literally be flying the TBM himself, since he has a PPL single/multi and an IFR rating (though his medical is way expired)

what kind of loser billionaire has a pilot's license and doesn't loving fly himself around

wait have the boring company really managed to make their tunnel boring machines as fast as an aeroplane? looks like we were all wrong and elon really is a genius.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
agreed, it's bullshit that cars aren't immediately impounded as unroadworthy if someone is driving around without the legally-required identifying plates.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

James Baud posted:

Oddly, the Tesla drivers who refuse to sully their car with a front plate (let's face it, those tickets are NEVER issued) have no problem slapping all those ugly HOV lane decals on.

absolutely not. Most of those decals are put over clear bra.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jimmy Carter posted:

anyways, eat the rich.

I read “TBM” as “tunnel-boring machine”.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ratbert90 posted:

absolutely not. Most of those decals are put over clear bra.

Most shops won't put that on because the paint is too thin

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

James Baud posted:

I got a no front plate ticket on my old Z while parked at LAX, and then another two while driving around.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shipon posted:

ok to be fair the mandatory front plate law is bullshit and they should get rid of it but yeah tesla drivers

I can't help but bite. what on earth is this about? what is the deal with front license plates? is this some kind of American freedoms thing? front license plates are standard just about everywhere I can think of.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MomJeans420 posted:

I got a no front plate ticket on my old Z while parked at LAX, and then another two while driving around.

almost like traffic enforcement is disproportionately targeted at cheaper cars for reasons

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheFluff posted:

I can't help but bite. what on earth is this about? what is the deal with front license plates? is this some kind of American freedoms thing? front license plates are standard just about everywhere I can think of.

Americans like being able to get away with hit-and-runs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TheFluff posted:

It's not true in a lot of US states

Here in NC you can put whatever you want in the front license plate spot

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

here in GA lots of bmw and Mercedes owners put EU tags on the front of their cars

mystes
May 31, 2006

People also put those dark plastic filter things over their license plates to make them harder to read. I'm not sure how that's legal.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Tesla thread: You will continue to get more notes trying to bait you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I read “TBM” as “tunnel-boring machine”.

i always have to remind myself that it's one of these

and not one of these

TheFluff posted:

some american states don't have front plates. idk why. probably just general "government can't tell me what to do" stuff.

in california you don't have to have any plates on your car for the first six months (just the paper temporary one in the glove box), so you see a lot of teslas driving around with no plates at all. steve jobs notably took advantage of this by leasing a new car every six months (always a silver amg mercedes) so he would never have plates. if you saw a silver mercedes with no plates parked in a handicap space anywhere in silicon valley, that was probably stebe himself.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

here in GA lots of bmw and Mercedes owners put EU tags on the front of their cars

i've seen a lot of people here with an EU tag underneath the real license plate and it's always so dumb and cringey. oh wow really you mean your base model bmw x3 is a european car? i never knew....

when i was in college one of the students was a saudi prince and his car, a rolls-royce, had diplomatic immunity or whatever so he just had real saudi plates front and back. i guess i can't argue with that one (still deserves the guillotine though).

mystes posted:

People also put those dark plastic filter things over their license plates to make them harder to read. I'm not sure how that's legal.

it isn't. it's just a way of showing the cops that you're white

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Germany mandates front plates because in case of speed limit violations proofed by radar traps the driver and vehicle need be identified since the owner can not be held accountable for the speeding violation. For that reason our speed cameras are front facing for the actual picture taking.

Yes this means motorcycles generally avoid fines by permanent installed speed cameras. It also means that in case the driver can not be identified, no one has to pay the fine. The owner can be mandated the use of a drivers booklet though after one too many of these unknown driver incidents.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I too thought it was a TBM Avenger. drat

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Combat Theory posted:

Germany mandates front plates because in case of speed limit violations proofed by radar traps the driver and vehicle need be identified since the owner can not be held accountable for the speeding violation. For that reason our speed cameras are front facing for the actual picture taking.

Yes this means motorcycles generally avoid fines by permanent installed speed cameras. It also means that in case the driver can not be identified, no one has to pay the fine. The owner can be mandated the use of a drivers booklet though after one too many of these unknown driver incidents.

in the very early days of speed cameras in the uk, when they still used physical film, there was an ambiguity in the law about driver identification that meant they had to be front-facing. cue every single one of them having all its film used up by motorcyles going past them as fast as possible with a variety of hand gestures. then, while they were sorting out the legals, plod used to just sit a hundred yards down the road from them with a radar gun and a car.

similarly it was a fashion for a while for bikes to keep their rear number plate right up under the tail unit so it was invisible to the high-mounted cameras, then they changed the law so all of these bikes were officially unroadworthy and so got cubed (and also ushered in the loving horrible legally-mandated stupid tails that bikes have nowadays)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

tbf this isn't unique to Tesla. Most of the BMWs, Audis, Mercedeses in the parking lot at my office don't have front plates either.