Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Best Korea posted:

That's true, but its also true Russia throws money at other country's fringe groups to increase divisions, just as America does. It's the easiest way to undermine your enemies.

They've had a hand in helping anti-vaccine crap spread (not as much as people like Oprah though), but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did invent AIDS. I came across an interview with a CIA guy awhile ago who said he thought it was funny MKULTRA got so much attention from conspiracy people, since MKNAOMI (aka bioweapon research) was the more successful one.
SIV probably mutated and jumped species between 1890-1910. The common ancestor of HIV-M (responsible for the vast majority of infections) can be traced back to 1920s Leopoldville in the Belgian Congo. Thanks to colonial railways and such rampant poverty that 15% of the city's women resorted to prostitution to get by, it spread from there to the rest of the world. The US gets a pass on this one, but you can add another 30+ million people to the death toll of King Leopold and Belgian Colonialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Best Korea posted:

That's true, but its also true Russia throws money at other country's fringe groups to increase divisions, just as America does. It's the easiest way to undermine your enemies.
I mean, what is more likely?

- Spreading conspiracy theories and disinformation and acting in a conspiratorial manner is something primarily done by one country, and most other countries in the world would never stoop to such depths to advance their goals.
- Pretty much every intelligence agency in the goddamn world does it.

I raise a particular eyebrow at conspiracy theorists who get hyper-partial with their theorising. For instance, I've found it really odd that David Icke tends to side with Iran against the US in any US-vs.-Iran flare-up of tensions, when working from the premises of his claimed conspiracy theories both the US and Iranian governments should be equally in bed with the Reptoids (what with all organised religion being a Reptoid front after all). You would think, under such circumstances, you'd get plots emerging from both sides to push a war agenda (or whatever the Reptoid endgame in that situation is), but instead it's always the US/the West in general doing nefarious poo poo and Iran never gets accused of anything. It's the same with Russia - you'd think Putin's regime would be the perfect example of the New World Order tyranny coming, instead Icke's website is practically a Russia Today mirror.

In entirely unrelated news, he apparently lost a lot of money when he got divorced and when his American business partner screwed him over on the advice of invisible angels, and that'd coincide with the mid-2000s when hie started shifting to this "the West is always the evildoer, everyone else is basically innocent" stance.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the West is frequently terrible. But acting like the entire rest of the world just sits there clutching their pearls because they're too moral to engage in subterfuge themselves is ridiculous.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Seriously, at least get creative with it!

Let's see-

"Reptoids spread through western culture, and consumption of corporate food. Therefor any location that has a MacDonald's has been infiltrated:

https://corporate.mcdonalds.com/corpmcd/about-us/around-the-world.html"

There, easy! It's like they're not even trying anymore.

Fake edit:

I still think this is the intelligence world stringing along a true believer, and it's all bunk:

https://twitter.com/coreypein/status/1184909237492649985

Failson has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Oct 18, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the coolest part of the jfk story is how ruby was declared insane after a single meeting with a cia psychiatrist studying brain washing

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Specifically the guy in charge of mkultra iirc

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Goon Danton posted:

Specifically the guy in charge of mkultra iirc

drawing a blank on the name, it wasn't joly west was it he was a different mad cia scientist

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

STRAIN___ALL___URINE

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

gh0stpinballa posted:

drawing a blank on the name, it wasn't joly west was it he was a different mad cia scientist

Yeah it was Jolly West. He was also the one who killed the elephant with the LSD.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

What's everybody's favorite million-scare-quotes "suicide" case? Epstein's the obvious one nowadays, but Gary Webb (the journalist who blew open the whole "CIA selling crack" thing) gets points for shooting himself in the head twice, with the coroner giving a special press statement about how that's totally possible and not suspicious.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Which was the one that was found tied up dead inside a gym bag?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

A lesser known "suicide" was the person who was about to testify against her superiors over the robo-signing scandal.
https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/08/mark-ames-tracy-lawrence-the-foreclosure-suicide-america-forgot.html

quote:

In the months since Tracy Lawrence was found dead in her Las Vegas apartment at the age of 43, her story has only taken on more significance—even as her death has been forgotten. This is a story that demands our attention, a story we must not allow ourselves to forget.

First, some background to Tracy Lawrence’s suicide: On November 16, 2011, the attorney general for the state of Nevada, Catherine Cortez Masto, announced a major first-of-its-kind 606-count criminal indictment against two Orange County, California-based title officers working for Lender Processing Services, the country’s largest mortgaging servicing company and the worst of the predatory “fraudclosure mills.”

Foreclosure fraud had been devastating America unabated for a few years, laying waste to untold hundreds of thousands of American families. The Nevada attorney general’s criminal case against the two LPS title officers—Gary Trafford and Geraldine Sheppard—represented, for a brief moment, the first time in years that American justice threatened the predatory lending class.
Let’s rewind again to last November 16, 2011, the day that Nevada’s attorney general Masto announced her indictment against the two LPS title officers—two weeks before Tracy Lawrence took her life. Nevada’s case against LPS rested primarily on the testimony of a whistleblower, Tracy Lawrence, who worked in Lender Processing Services’ office in Las Vegas. Her testimony threatened to unravel tens of thousands of fraudulent foreclosures in the state of Nevada between the years 2005-2008, and the criminal activities of the entire mortgage servicing industry. Nevada has suffered the worst foreclosure problem of any state in the union.

In return for turning state’s witness, Tracy Lawrence plea bargained her charges down to a single misdemeanor charge of falsely notarizing a signature, which carries, in the worst case scenario, a maximum of one year in prison and a $2,000 fine. However, her testimony could put her two LPS superiors behind bars for decades—which is why many believed Nevada’s goal was to turn those two LPS officers into state’s witnesses against LPS’s senior executives.

On November 29, 2011—just two weeks after the Nevada attorney general announced the landmark criminal case—whistleblower Tracy Lawrence was supposed to appear before a judge for her sentencing. It should have been a routine appearance, but she didn’t show up. Her lawyer grew anxious, called police to check on Tracy Lawrence’s home, and that’s when they found her dead.

The timing of her death was suspicious, to say the least. Immediately, before any investigation had been conducted, Las Vegas police officially “ruled out homicide” as her cause of death.

Tracy Lawrence’s suicide was given scant coverage in the national media. Here is one of the few national media stories about her death, a short piece on MSNBC’s website
I recently called the Clark County coroner’s office to find out if they had determined her official cause of death. A spokesperson told me that Tracy died from “intoxication” of a combination of Xanax (Alprazolam) and two antihistamines: Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) and Hydroxyzine. Officially, her death was ruled a suicide.

Though there has been little public discussion about Tracy Lawrence’s suicide, in private forums, her death sent a chill. Although there have been reports that Lawrence was depressed and stressed from her role as the key whistleblower, no one I know who reports on the housing disaster unquestioningly accepts the official version, that Tracy Lawrence’s suicide timing just happened to come at the most convenient time imaginable.

The stakes could not have been higher: As MSNBC reported, Las Vegas police said that her testimony threatened to “throw into question the legality of most Las Vegas home foreclosures in the past few years.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah it was Jolly West. He was also the one who killed the elephant with the LSD.

lmao holy gently caress. cheers!

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Goon Danton posted:

What's everybody's favorite million-scare-quotes "suicide" case? Epstein's the obvious one nowadays, but Gary Webb (the journalist who blew open the whole "CIA selling crack" thing) gets points for shooting himself in the head twice, with the coroner giving a special press statement about how that's totally possible and not suspicious.

there's one that war nerd covered in their live show, feel really bad i can't remember the woman's name but she flipped on the banks running the mortgage scam just as the financial crisis was reaching critical mass and before she could testify they found her dead of an apparent OD.

also the guy who was investigating the octopus (which some people are saying is at least loosely connected to the epstein network) who killed himself for no reason while on a trip to visit a key source who apparently had earth-shaking dirt to help him crack the story, and the accepted mainstream theory is that he killed himself to make it look like he'd been killed by the syndicate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Casolaro

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Which was the one that was found tied up dead inside a gym bag?

Gareth Williams!

Wikipedia posted:

Gareth Wyn Williams (26 September 1978 – c. 16 August 2010) was a Welsh mathematician and employee of GCHQ seconded to the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS or MI6) who was found dead in suspicious circumstances at a Security Service safe house flat in Pimlico, London, on 23 August 2010. The inquest found that his death was "unnatural and likely to have been criminally mediated." A subsequent Metropolitan Police re-investigation concluded that Williams's death was "probably an accident".

[...]

Police visited Williams's home during the afternoon of Monday 23 August 2010, as a "welfare check" after colleagues noted he had been out of contact for several days. His decomposing naked remains were found in a red The North Face bag, padlocked from the outside, in the bath of the main bedroom's en-suite bathroom. The police had gained entry into his top floor flat in Alderney Street, Pimlico at around 16:40. His family alleged that crucial DNA was interfered with and that fingerprints left at the scene were wiped off as part of a cover-up. No fingerprints, palm-prints, footprints or traces of Williams's DNA were found on the rim of the bath, the bag zip or the bag padlock. A key to the padlock was inside the bag, underneath his body.

I always forget he was found in a safe house bathtub.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

what the gently caress

quote:

Evidence given by Williams's former landlady in Cheltenham showed that one night he had awoken her and her husband, screaming for help. Apparently he had managed to tie himself to his bed, and required assistance in releasing himself. The testimony was that Williams had claimed at the time that he had done it just to see if he could free himself and that he promised not to try this again. Nothing further had been said about the incident since between Williams and his landlady.[29]

Evidence was given of £20,000 worth of women's clothing being found in the flat.[30]

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Karen Silkwood

quote:

She worked at the Kerr-McGee Cimarron Fuel Fabrication Site in Oklahoma, making plutonium pellets, and became the first woman on the union's negotiating team. After testifying to the Atomic Energy Commission about her concerns, she was found to have plutonium contamination on her person and in her home. While driving to meet with a New York Times journalist and an official of her union's national office, she died in a car crash under unclear circumstances.

Silkwood said she had assembled documentation for her claims, including company papers. She decided to go public with this evidence, and contacted David Burnham, a New York Times journalist, who was interested in her story. On November 13, 1974, Silkwood left a union meeting at the Hub cafe in Crescent. Another attendee of that meeting later testified that Silkwood had a binder and a packet of documents with her at the cafe. Silkwood got into her car and headed alone for Oklahoma City, about 30 miles (48 km) away, to meet with Burnham, the New York Times reporter, and Steve Wodka, an official of her union's national office. Later that evening, Silkwood's body was found in her car, which had run off the road and struck a culvert on the east side of State Highway 74, 0.11 miles (180 m) south of the intersection with West Industrial Road (35.855233° N, 97.584963° W). The car contained none of the documents she held in the union meeting at the Hub cafe

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's not cited on Wikipedia or anything in the first few pages of Google searches, but this has to be one of the major influences behind The China Syndrome, right?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

It's not cited on Wikipedia or anything in the first few pages of Google searches, but this has to be one of the major influences behind The China Syndrome, right?

Wouldn't surprise me, but I have no idea. There's a lot of parallels there though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

she was stealing atoms

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Jim Jones invented the CIA at age five, recruited himself, and initiated the first OP: trying to make Elvis interesting to black folks

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The big hole about the "Jonestown was an op" theory is that I don't see the point. For all the asinine bullshit intelligence agencies pull, there's at least a logic behind them; you can see why whichever spook(s) would, let's say, want to kill JFK. I just don't see what they could've accomplished with Jonestown that they didn't already during the 60s.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

MizPiz posted:

The big hole about the "Jonestown was an op" theory is that I don't see the point. For all the asinine bullshit intelligence agencies pull, there's at least a logic behind them; you can see why whichever spook(s) would, let's say, want to kill JFK. I just don't see what they could've accomplished with Jonestown that they didn't already during the 60s.

Yeah, but conversely, knowing what we know about the CIA, why wouldn't they?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

taqueso posted:

they’re historically highly incompetent and any victories they publically claim are generally rewritten history by complacent press, while other conspiracies connected to them seem to be 99% rear end covering

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

So what all did the Clinton Foundation do in Haiti? A podcast I listen to made passing mention of it but a search only brings up right wing propaganda outlets and the Clinton Foundation website.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Goon Danton posted:

So what all did the Clinton Foundation do in Haiti? A podcast I listen to made passing mention of it but a search only brings up right wing propaganda outlets and the Clinton Foundation website.

Trafficking children to a charity in the USA that got in trouble for a molestation scandal, iirc Hillary personally intervened when some lady was arrested there for stealing kids during the earthquake or hurricane or whatever recent disaster leveled Haiti

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
also sending children to the secret base on deimos

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

MizPiz posted:

no why

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

Because there's no obvious need. Unless this some Burn After Reading thing where they were spending leftover budget money on something that was supposed to fail but instead spiralled wildly out of control, I just don't see why the CIA would do this. Even if you assume they're motivated by some cosmic force to do evil, it's far too much effort and far too much of a risk for something that's way more of a burden than a reward.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Just a stunningly convoluted plan to assassinate Leo Ryan

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The CIA had installed a puppet leader. The embassy, inside which was the CIA office, helped Jones setup in Guyana.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

jonestown wasn't an op. the khmer rouge was and you need to read up about it it is crazy

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

in fact ISIS served the same purpose in 2014 as the khmer rouge did, ISIS is very likely a NATO colonialist project

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Goon Danton posted:

Just a stunningly convoluted plan to assassinate Leo Ryan

Ok no you know what it was an op

TCE
Feb 26, 2016

Goon Danton posted:

The 'DC madam' Deborah Jeane Palfrey's a good one. Like even if she did just not gonna go back to prison, Wikipedia has this: "In combination with Palfrey's statement that she had 10,000 to 15,000 phone numbers of clients, this caused several clients' lawyers to contact Palfrey to see whether accommodations could be made to keep their identities private.[13] Ultimately, ABC News, after going through what was described as "46 lb" [21 kg] of phone records, decided that none of the potential clients[14] was sufficiently "newsworthy" to bother mentioning.[15]"

which, lol. After everything we learned about all the outlets that refused to publish the Harvey Weinstein story, or Graydon Carter forcing Vicky Ward to remove the pedophile allegations in her 2002 story about Epstein, or about the fact that just about every major news outlet in America had numerous sex pests and sex criminals on staff, it's pretty ridiculous to think ABC legitimately didn't think any of these clients were "newsworthy."

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Check off a bunch of black triangle UFO sightings as this thing:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/30845/airbuss-secret-stealth-unmanned-combat-air-vehicle-research-program-breaks-cover

It's literally a black triangle.

Failson has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Nov 5, 2019

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

gh0stpinballa posted:

in fact ISIS served the same purpose in 2014 as the khmer rouge did, ISIS is very likely a NATO colonialist project

That's almost universally accepted, it just hasn't been formally acknowledged.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Why would my phone want me to think these weren't posted? :tinfoil:

MizPiz has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Nov 5, 2019

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Failson posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/30845/airbuss-secret-stealth-unmanned-combat-air-vehicle-research-program-breaks-cover

well actually that’s a black kite

4 sides

I like the mockup where it’s plainly just one of the wedge shaped alien craft from the early mid X files seasons

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Failson posted:

Or the F117. Or the B2. There's no shortage of triangular aircraft. This looks to be continued development along the same lines.

What's typically called a "black triangle UFO" exhibits low, slow, silent flight typical of a lighter than air craft, then the speed and maneuverability of heavier than air craft at a different time.

I figure there's a whole branch of aerospace tech that developed at the same time as the first stealth aircraft that focused on audibly silent flight rather than radar stealth flight, but this doesn't look to be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Can it hover? No? Then Im not interested!