Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ok boomers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I've been reading a lot of true crime lately, and I realized that most modern serial killers were boomers.

Ted Bundy - 1946
Jeffrey Dalhmer - 1960
Ed Kemper - 1948
Arthur Shawcross - 1945
John Wayne Gacy - 1942
Gary Ridgeway - 1949

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

BigDave posted:

I've been reading a lot of true crime lately, and I realized that most modern serial killers were boomers.

Ted Bundy - 1946
Jeffrey Dalhmer - 1960
Ed Kemper - 1948
Arthur Shawcross - 1945
John Wayne Gacy - 1942
Gary Ridgeway - 1949

https://www.scaruffi.com/politics/massshoo.html

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

BigDave posted:

Ted Bundy - 1946
Jeffrey Dalhmer - 1960
Ed Kemper - 1948
Arthur Shawcross - 1945
John Wayne Gacy - 1942
Gary Ridgeway - 1949

That doesn't mean much as we just haven't caught as many of the more recent ones.

The motorcycle boomer talk reminded me of the tiny and functionally useless helmets my dad and his friends bought specifically for FL as they require helmets. So the helmet was made to just comply with the law and was not actually made to protect poo poo. Dumbass boomers would rather make a statement than actually protect their brains.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BigDave posted:

Ted Bundy - 1946
Jeffrey Dalhmer - 1960
Ed Kemper - 1948
Arthur Shawcross - 1945
John Wayne Gacy - 1942
Gary Ridgeway - 1949

I think modern serial killers might be less vain.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lil Peeler posted:

Boomers are incapable of silencing/vibrating their phones. I'm at a public meeting and no less than 4 phones have gone off, all belong to boomers.

Boomers like leaving the keyboard sounds on and love non-default sms notification tones.

My father asked if I could put the Samsung whistle on his iPhone. I never did manage to figure out how to did that, probably because I made sure to not look into it.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

That doesn't mean much as we just haven't caught as many of the more recent ones.

The motorcycle boomer talk reminded me of the tiny and functionally useless helmets my dad and his friends bought specifically for FL as they require helmets. So the helmet was made to just comply with the law and was not actually made to protect poo poo. Dumbass boomers would rather make a statement than actually protect their brains.

Oh, those little helmets that literally just cover the top of your head? I see that all the time and it bugs the poo poo out of me. When I rode, I had a full face helmet and that thing has saved my face so many times even from just stupid things like giant bugs smashing against it, or small rocks getting kicked up on the highway.

The first thing I think is 'so what if they crash and die, that's what they get for being dumb about helmets' but then I remember the other people on the road who have to witness a boomer smearing across the asphalt in front of them and that can gently caress you up real bad even if its entirely the dead person's fault.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

DamnitGannet posted:

Oh, those little helmets that literally just cover the top of your head? I see that all the time and it bugs the poo poo out of me. When I rode, I had a full face helmet and that thing has saved my face so many times even from just stupid things like giant bugs smashing against it, or small rocks getting kicked up on the highway.

The first thing I think is 'so what if they crash and die, that's what they get for being dumb about helmets' but then I remember the other people on the road who have to witness a boomer smearing across the asphalt in front of them and that can gently caress you up real bad even if its entirely the dead person's fault.

I mean of course it would be better for boomers to listen to reason and wear proper safety equipment, drive carefully, fund public resources, etc. If you can talk to a boomer in your life and get them to make safer choices great! Good luck with that though, the thread exists because they don't listen and refuse to change their minds.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

I mean of course it would be better for boomers to listen to reason and wear proper safety equipment, drive carefully, fund public resources, etc. If you can talk to a boomer in your life and get them to make safer choices great! Good luck with that though, the thread exists because they don't listen and refuse to change their minds.

I do my best to avoid having to talk to boomers. I'm certainly not going to go up to one in a goofy helmet and lecture them about safety.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DamnitGannet posted:

I worked a brief stint as medical records clerk for a rehab hospital. You're not supposed to but you can't help but read some of the files. Everyday was an H&P or Discharge summary on a person that was in an accident with no helmet or not enough protection. Those that survived usually lost movement in the limbs or had a sudden personality change and lost everything. I also took calls for record requests and one guy legit talked like Jimmy Two Times from Goodfellas. "I need my records, need my records. When can I pick them up, pick them up?"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mind the walrus posted:

This is true. I wonder what breaks the brain in some people to be so perpetually insecure and subsequently aggressive.

Really the whole boomer thing could better be framed as "aged chuds". This gives the decent ones a little breathing room.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My MIL is gen x and not boomer, but she once started making fun of me for wearing a bike helmet. If protecting your brain is nerdy, I'll be nerdy over a TBI anyday.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DamnitGannet posted:

I do my best to avoid having to talk to boomers. I'm certainly not going to go up to one in a goofy helmet and lecture them about safety.

If only they could return the favor of not lecturing people when the situation doesn't affect you

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

A common theme growing up was that all my friends’ dads had mint condition motorcycles (usually Harleys) that served no purpose than to collect dust in the garage and provide an excuse for said dads to scream at us if we came within four feet of them. I never, ever saw them ridden. If no motorcycle, there was usually a poorly maintained boat rotting away in the backyard that got used maybe twice in its functional lifetime.

Boomer men love blowing money on dumb toys that they never use but seem to enjoy the idea of owning.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-JZFxpuEnw

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Like and share if you rode a bike without a helmet and drank from the garden hose and survived!!!!

Ignore and scroll past if you died from head trauma or cancer

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
My cousin runs group homes and seeing the young guys that became functionally useless from bike accidents with no helmets should make everyone want to wear them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leon Einstein posted:

My cousin runs group homes and seeing the young guys that became functionally useless from bike accidents with no helmets should make everyone want to wear them.

Considering that when you're on a motorcycle, you're pretty much just protected by a thick coat and a helmet, I'll take the 4 wheeled steel cage

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers love to point out that because they had hard times once, they are immune from empathic decay.

"Hey I cleaned floors/worked bedside/did assembly line work/flipped burgers/pumped gas for a summer back in 1973! I will always remember what that is like and thus am not gonna take poo poo from Millennials telling me that I've become a calloused, entitled old gently caress!"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

Really the whole boomer thing could better be framed as "aged chuds". This gives the decent ones a little breathing room.

My wife and I watched C.H.U.D. last night and decided that that nickname is too harsh.

In the movie, not a single one of them voted Republican.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Leon Einstein posted:

Labeled by percentage of accidents that cause an injury in that area

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

Boomers love to point out that because they had hard times once, they are immune from empathic decay.

"Hey I cleaned floors/worked bedside/did assembly line work/flipped burgers/pumped gas for a summer back in 1973! I will always remember what that is like and thus am not gonna take poo poo from Millennials telling me that I've become a calloused, entitled old gently caress!"

This is like Mike Rowe bragging that he had a job at $15 an hour in the 1970s when he was working at a movie theater. According to him, his projection job was the foot in door needed to become a reality TV star.

I hate Mike Rowe.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Jascum posted:

This is like Mike Rowe bragging that he had a job at $15 an hour in the 1970s when he was working at a movie theater. According to him, his projection job was the foot in door needed to become a reality TV star.

I hate Mike Rowe.

I don't believe he was paid $15 an hour in the 70s for a second.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jascum posted:

I hate Mike Rowe.

gently caress that cosplaying shithead so hard. poo poo like, "If you don't like your job, then just leave it without complaining" and "only you are responsible for your own safety" is a great way to ensure that people continue to get hurt.

EDIT: Let me explain that last one in a little detail if you aren't used to it. Boomer assholes like to focus solely on moral hazard and personal responsibility at the expense of all other things, regardless of outcomes. The best practice for safety in the workplace is to say, "everyone is responsible for keeping everyone else safe". That is to say, "we acknowledge that you need to wear your PPE and not do stupid poo poo, but human beings make mistakes so rather than having people suffer horrible and possibly deadly outcomes for a simple mistake, we instead insist that you look out for your coworkers and they will look out for you". This means you don't get to jerk off to rants about personal responsibility and instead everyone has a much greater chance of going home safe and sound.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 5, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jascum posted:

I hate Mike Rowe.

Good god, even in 1979 dollars $15/hr is about $53/hr in todays dollars :psyduck:

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

Boomers like commenting on local police force Facebook posts with "You do such a wonderful and great job your all heros to us keep up the great work"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

EDIT: Let me explain that last one in a little detail if you aren't used to it. Boomer assholes like to focus solely on moral hazard and personal responsibility at the expense of all other things, regardless of outcomes. The best practice for safety in the workplace is to say, "everyone is responsible for keeping everyone else safe". That is to say, "we acknowledge that you need to wear your PPE and not do stupid poo poo, but human beings make mistakes so rather than having people suffer horrible and possibly deadly outcomes for a simple mistake, we instead insist that you look out for your coworkers and they will look out for you". This means you don't get to jerk off to rants about personal responsibility and instead everyone has a much greater chance of going home safe and sound.

(It makes it easier to divide and conquer like this :ssh:)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Labeled by percentage of accidents that cause an injury in that area

it's like one of those pictures with cows that show where the good meat is

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Fartbox posted:

Some of you have legit criticisms but some of you seem to just have deeprooted parental issues

Harsh Truths

Holy poo poo this dude's rap sheet :cry:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Framboise posted:

Thankfully, I follow r/Radiohead!

(really needs "we hope that you choke" on it)

That's weird this also occurred to me today and I made this

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Boomers love to drive enormous suvs directly down the middle of the road going the wrong way down a one-way street and then get indignant even you honk at them bc they're barreling towards you

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

sh1fty posted:

Boomers like commenting on local police force Facebook posts with "You do such a wonderful and great job your all heros to us keep up the great work"

oh god so much this. I am in the local police FB groups to witness aftermath photos of dumb car crashes. Most of the time I get boomers bootlicking every chance they get and cops spending absurdly disproportionate amounts of time and resources tracking down shoplifters.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't believe he was paid $15 an hour in the 70s for a second.

Yeah, I had to look that up, no way even for a relatively skilled position of projectionist would you make $15/hour in the 70s. What he actually said was $10/hour.

https://mikerowe.com/2015/02/ofw-minimum-wage/

"Then, I’d thread them into the giant projector, looping the leader through 22 separate gates, careful to touch only the sides. Raging Bull, Airplane, The Shining, Caddyshack, The Elephant Man – I saw them all from the shadowy comfort of the projection booth, and collected $10 an hour for my trouble. Eventually, I was offered an assistant manager position, which I declined. I wasn’t management material then, anymore than I am now. But I had a plan. I was going to be in the movies. Or, God forbid, on television."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lmao holy gently caress even on the most generous possible timeframe he would have been making more than 75% of Millennials just to thread film.

Mike Rowe is top-tier Boomer garbage.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 5, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Jesus christ I can't even imagine making $33/hr for a 40hr workweek.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mind the walrus posted:

Lmao holy gently caress even on the most generous possible timeframe he would have been making more than 75% of Millennials just to thread film.

Projectionist was a legit skilled vocation back in the day, people could make good money doing it. You had to get a special license and everything.

Not today though: https://slate.com/culture/2010/12/why-projectionists-will-soon-be-no-more.html

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's not the point, it's that this Boomer con man so thoroughly misrepresents himself in the name of keeping young and poor people down.

He's a loving monster. Like holy poo poo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

BigDave posted:

Projectionist was a legit skilled vocation back in the day, people could make good money doing it. You had to get a special license and everything.

Not today though: https://slate.com/culture/2010/12/why-projectionists-will-soon-be-no-more.html

Would it have been a union job?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
smh, just another boomer projecting his outdated ideas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

For what it’s worth, I don’t think that was a full time job, especially if it was some rinky dink corner theater where he was the only projector dude. He probably only worked evenings and maybe the occasional matinee showing.

Still, that’s amazing pay for a quasi-skilled job at best.

e: Apparently projector work back in the day was trickier and more complicated than I thought. TIL.