Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rusty posted:

If they are the bad paddles that come with the GTI, the plastic ones, than I think just about everyone who cares replaces them. It was the first thing I did, and I am not hard on the car, it's just $20 to make it look and work 100 times better. I guess this is a good reminder to replace the stock ones if I ever try and sell it.

sorry about your manlet hands

stock ones are just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

stock ones are just fine

The primary complaint I've read is that the Golf R paddles are too small.

I am considering checking out the three owner Golf R and getting it independently inspected prior to purchase. I am also eyeing up a 2015 Golf R in NJ with a lemon title that had 45k miles, the carfax reports indicate that just about every drat part was replaced within the first 20k miles, including the engine, wiring harnesses, shocks, sensors, and then it has had only routine maintenance since then. Two owners, $21k. Seems like low risk, high reward.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
wow you have a vastly different definition of "low risk high reward" than i do

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SchrodingersCat posted:

I am considering checking out the three owner Golf R and getting it independently inspected prior to purchase. I am also eyeing up a 2015 Golf R in NJ with a lemon title that had 45k miles, the carfax reports indicate that just about every drat part was replaced within the first 20k miles, including the engine, wiring harnesses, shocks, sensors, and then it has had only routine maintenance since then. Two owners, $21k. Seems like low risk, high reward.

lol

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wow you have a vastly different definition of "low risk high reward" than i do

I checked the maintenance record on carfax, within the first 20k miles they replaced the engine wiring harness, camshaft sensor, long-block(!!), Brake rotors, wheel bearings, struts, shocks. All within the first 18 months/20k miles. To be frank, that looks to me like someone who wanted to get their car labeled a lemon so they could get out of it. In the 25k miles since then, only routine maintenance, and an o2 sensor.

Listed for 21k and I could likely get it for 19.5.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BraveUlysses posted:

stock ones are just fine
Well if you like the little plastic things it comes with, you can save $20 and 5 minutes of work and not change them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SchrodingersCat posted:

You’re legitimately out of your mind if you’re even considering buying this car

Like this is 11/10 level dumb

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Are you just looking for a daily? Are you absolutely deadset on an R? Planning on modding? Worried about warranty? Buying a VW lemon just seems like a horribly bad idea no matter how you look at it. Just because it looks like it is stock doesn't mean it was modified and beat on at all.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Etrips posted:

Are you just looking for a daily? Are you absolutely deadset on an R? Planning on modding? Worried about warranty? Buying a VW lemon just seems like a horribly bad idea no matter how you look at it. Just because it looks like it is stock doesn't mean it was modified and beat on at all.

I am pretty dead set on an R but I am slow playing it a bit. It's going to be a daily, I am likely going to drop an APR stage 1 low-torque on it but I don't track or beat on my cars. All I can find are cars with red flags or poo poo like Carvana where you can't negotiate and get raped on the trade-in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
For the love of God, don't even consider the lemon law car. It doesn't matter what has been replaced it's still going to be a basket case.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You never know

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Honestly, you should just get a GTI if these are your only two options for Golfs R

There’s way more of them out there for less money and you’re really only missing the AWD which is overrated imvho

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SchrodingersCat posted:

I checked the maintenance record on carfax, within the first 20k miles they replaced the engine wiring harness, camshaft sensor, long-block(!!), Brake rotors, wheel bearings, struts, shocks. All within the first 18 months/20k miles. To be frank, that looks to me like someone who wanted to get their car labeled a lemon so they could get out of it. In the 25k miles since then, only routine maintenance, and an o2 sensor.

haha god speed you credulous lunatic

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SchrodingersCat posted:

I am pretty dead set on an R but I am slow playing it a bit. It's going to be a daily, I am likely going to drop an APR stage 1 low-torque on it but I don't track or beat on my cars. All I can find are cars with red flags or poo poo like Carvana where you can't negotiate and get RIPPED OFF on the trade-in.

also: gross

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SchrodingersCat posted:

Oh my god run as fast as you loving can in the opposite direction lol

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Running downhill and getting crushed by the runaway lemon R

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Running downhill and getting crushed by the runaway lemon R

There is also one on one of those stupid online dealers for 24k, the carfax lists unspecified "front and roof" damage, which sure as hell sounds like a rollover to me.

Seriously, there is nothing available for 2015/2016 models that don't have very bad issues going on unless I want to travel to the other side of the country. I loving hate living in flyover country.

I was also looking at the Infiniti Red Sport 400 (q50/q60) and there are more of those weird beasts available within 100 miles than there are Golf Rs. I need the AWD here in Michigan.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

SchrodingersCat posted:

There is also one on one of those stupid online dealers for 24k, the carfax lists unspecified "front and roof" damage, which sure as hell sounds like a rollover to me.

Seriously, there is nothing available for 2015/2016 models that don't have very bad issues going on unless I want to travel to the other side of the country. I loving hate living in flyover country.

I was also looking at the Infiniti Red Sport 400 (q50/q60) and there are more of those weird beasts available within 100 miles than there are Golf Rs. I need the AWD here in Michigan.

I live in northern Illinois where it also snows a lot. I got a set of winter tires for my GTI and you really don’t need AWD with that. AWD won’t even help you stop the car like tires will and that’s honestly more important than starting from a stop which winter tires are also fantastic at

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i mean if you're a yooper you might want AWD

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SchrodingersCat posted:

if you think you really need awd to get around in snow and therefore you must buy a 300+ hp car...you're probably going to still have trouble getting around safely

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

if you think you really need awd to get around in snow and therefore you must buy a 300+ hp car...you're probably going to still have trouble getting around safely

But I also like going fast. :D. You can mitigate high-torque/hp vehicles with good driving habits. My current car is a tuned 2008 535xi and it has no trouble in snow.
My car before that was a FWD Grand Prix GXP and that thing sucked in the winter.

I am also looking at the possibility of needing to commute like 70+ miles per day in the next year or two and want every advantage I can get.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 5, 2019

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I mean I commute 120mi round trip and do fine when it snows with dedicated snow tires in the GTI. Granted, I don't get Michigan type snow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Etrips posted:

I mean I commute 120mi round trip and do fine when it snows with dedicated snow tires in the GTI. Granted, I don't get Michigan type snow.

in semi it snows like 40" a year which is a hilarious joke yet everyone here thinks its the fuckin arctic

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
All I know is that everybody in VT drives Subarus, and they are AWD. Purely anecdotal, I realize. But those maple sucking bastards do get a lot of the white stuff.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

goons have this weird "you don't need awd!" thing going on that generally comes from people who just dont need to drive in the snow a whole lot. theres a reason like every single car in rural new england is either a subaru, audi, or AWD SUV. no, your rwd jaguar with snow tires on it is not sufficient for commuting to and from boston through a blizzard dumping three feet of snow in a morning. its the same sort of idiocy that causes recommendations for summer tires to people who live where its in the right operating temperatures for like three months a year.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I drove through a blizzard in VT last January in my VW Tiguan 4motion on normal/all weather tires with no problems at all.
The previous winter I could barely get to work in light snow in a FWD Jetta.
I'm sure that snow tires definitely *do* something, but so does AWD.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I drove my GTI with snow tires into the mountains many, many times over the past 3 years and had zero issues. They even got me out on my last trip last year when the fronts really needed to be replaced.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

goons have this weird "you don't need awd!" thing going on that generally comes from people who just dont need to drive in the snow a whole lot. theres a reason like every single car in rural new england is either a subaru, audi, or AWD SUV. no, your rwd jaguar with snow tires on it is not sufficient for commuting to and from boston through a blizzard dumping three feet of snow in a morning. its the same sort of idiocy that causes recommendations for summer tires to people who live where its in the right operating temperatures for like three months a year.

I think this comes from the fact that most people don't need them because they're outside of the specific use cases you describe. I live in Vancouver (BC) and drive up to the mountains or go on winter road trips fairly often and my GTI is fine with just snow tires. I've also had an STI here and while yes it was a lot better in the snow (and a lot more fun) but our highways get enough attention in the winter that it's unnecessary. I also find it kinda fun when you have to rock your way out of getting mildly stuck. Winter is fun and I can't wait for it to snow here.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I thought the accepted hierarchy was:

FWD w/ all-seasons < AWD w/ all-seasons < FWD w/ snows < AWD w/snows?

Not sure how RWD fits in but I've never tried to drive one in the snow. I personally went from a GTI with basically bald, cheap all-seasons to a Quattro Audi w/ new snows and that was obviously a world of difference. I still got by in some seriously rough conditions with the GTI, though. I just drove really, really carefully.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in semi it snows like 40" a year which is a hilarious joke yet everyone here thinks its the fuckin arctic

Actually, average snowfall in Detroit is -only- 33 inches.

However, we have had some loving gnarly winters and individual snowstorms the last 10 years, all of which I was driving RWD or FWD across 40+ mile commutes. I once drove a Lincoln Mark VIII from Ypsilanti to Sterling Heights in a blizzard, at 2am, with 4 inches of unplowed snow on the roads on bald all seasons. That was an adventure. I probably spent about a quarter of that trip with my car at a 45 degree angle to the road.

I can drive FWD or RWD in winter. But experience had taught me that it's not worth the metaphorical extra inch on my dick to do so.

Anyway, I am still looking at Golf Rs. I have moved past the lemon since you guys have convinced me it's probably haunted by the ghost of Hitler.

(I should also point out that, yes, FWD with snows are perfectly acceptable in winter but I am also planning on putting snows on whatever I get so that's it's a goddamn tank in the snow).

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 5, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

betterinsodapop posted:

All I know is that everybody in VT drives Subarus, and they are AWD. Purely anecdotal, I realize. But those maple sucking bastards do get a lot of the white stuff.

that's where i grew up, town of 600 people, lots of mountains, 3 paved roads, lots of trees. we had a subaru and also a bunch of 2WD stuff. the 2WD stuff is fine unless it's actively dumping. everything had winter tires from like Oct 15 - April 30.

moving to the midwest is funny. people here seem to love AWD and hate winter tires. AWD helps you get going and lets you be a little less aggressive with some momentum conservation, but most of michigan is flat as gently caress and it snows about 1/3 as much as where i grew up so i question the usefulness. the reason AWD is useful in rural mountainous areas is because a) getting started is harder and b) snow doesn't get cleared much on back roads. if you live in like Oakland County MI (or like Concord, NH rather than North Conway) you don't need AWD for your daily commute. if you're driving on I-91/I-89 through Vermont, you don't need AWD.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I just put snows on my wife's '11 A8L, looking forward to seeing how unstoppable that thing is with the suspension aired all the way up. I downsized to 18" alloys so the tire size is a meaty 235/55 :getin:.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Winter tires give around 50% more grip on snow vs an all season. So accelerating in a straight line, awd on all seasons has an edge over 2wd on snow tires. But guess what's better at turning and stopping?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

jamal posted:

Winter tires give around 50% more grip on snow vs an all season. So accelerating in a straight line, awd on all seasons has an edge over 2wd on snow tires. But guess what's better at turning and stopping?

AWD on snow-tires is the best at all those things. :D

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

willroc7 posted:

Not sure how RWD fits in but I've never tried to drive one in the snow.

It's not bad and it's a ton of fun. We'll see how my M3 does going into the mountains this winter. Not being able to run narrow tires is probably going to be one of the bigger issues that doesn't involve ground clearance.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

betterinsodapop posted:

I drove through a blizzard in VT last January in my VW Tiguan 4motion on normal/all weather tires with no problems at all.
The previous winter I could barely get to work in light snow in a FWD Jetta.
I'm sure that snow tires definitely *do* something, but so does AWD.

I went from driving in a blizzard in a GTI with snow tires to driving in light snow in a BMW with AWD and all seasons. The BMW maybe performed better off the line and much worse at stopping and turning.

I am looking forward to AWD and snow tires this year, though. :D

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i will say it may be slightly hypocritical since i bought a Golf Alltrack with snow tires, but that was because you need to get AWD to get the wagon with heated seats and a manual transmission

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i will say it may be slightly hypocritical since i bought a Golf Alltrack with snow tires, but that was because you need to get AWD to get the wagon with heated seats and a manual transmission
I just really love that wagon, I seriously considered it when VW was buying back my GTI, but I ended up with a too good to pass up deal.

I used to ski twice a week in Oregon, and the best car I ever had for it was a fwd Celica. I had a Toyota 4wd and an older Subaru, but none handled in the snow like the Celica. Everyone around here also drives Subarus and we get snow in the city maybe once every two to three years

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone itt have a r8 rws? Or even driven one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's where i grew up, town of 600 people, lots of mountains, 3 paved roads, lots of trees. we had a subaru and also a bunch of 2WD stuff. the 2WD stuff is fine unless it's actively dumping. everything had winter tires from like Oct 15 - April 30.
Aha! So you did have the Subaru! :)
I grew up in Massachusetts, def got plenty of snow. Lived 10 years in NYC, where the snow gets cleared and nobody really drives. Now, living in rural Long Island, we get a ton of snow, and not much snow clearing. Going from the Jetta to an AWD Tiguan has been a game changer. I should probably go ahead and get snow tires to have the best possible traction/safety.

Question: does AWD help with rain/wet or is that more the realm of traction control and ABS?

Also, I love my drat Tiguan. I don't care if it's a grocery hauler. That 2.0T is pretty peppy and fun.