Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Duckman2008 posted:

Define price range. And overall, yeah, there is a big drop off once you go cheaper than those phones. Maybe the Moto G7 series, that’s likely the only decent option that is cheaper.

If you’re going to try to keep it for 4-5 years, factor in the cheapest phones are not as likely to live as long, or maintain decent performance for as long. On one hand, I totally understand “I don’t need the greatest.” That said, everyone uses their smartphone. Get a decent bang for your buck.

For reference, when you got your Droid Max 2, it may have been “$100,” but the retail of that phone was $450-500. So a $200 phone doesn’t necessarily replicate the type of phone you got last fine around.

Fair points all around, and I didn't realize the full cost of my old phone when I got it, so that puts it into better perspective. I appreciate the input, it's been very helpful!

CopperHound posted:

It seems like Nokia 6 series might be a good choice for you if we weren't in this akward time after 6.1 is no longer stocked and 6.2 isn't released yet.

I will definitely look into these, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
can I buy a new iPhone 11 from Apple and activate on Verizon's prepaid plans? https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

They have a bring your own device thing but you have to put in the IMEI to see if it'll work, and it's not an option to buy with that plan from Verizon

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

weinus posted:

can I buy a new iPhone 11 from Apple and activate on Verizon's prepaid plans? https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

They have a bring your own device thing but you have to put in the IMEI to see if it'll work, and it's not an option to buy with that plan from Verizon

If you buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple , it will work on Verizon prepaid.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
I have T-Mobile and I'm on the West Coast of the US. I'm looking at getting a new phone but I'm on the fence.

My wife and I have been using Samsung for a while now. I originally got the Note 3 while she got the S4. The S4's battery ran down and so she got the S6. This one we both liked so when I bricked my Note 3, it was pretty old at the time, she gave me her S6 and she got an S8. She thinks the S8 is fine but we both really like the look and feel of the S6. The curves on the S8 are kinda, meh.

Now I've been looking at the S9, simply because I saw it on sale for Prime Day. I think I might be able to snag one for less than $400 in the upcoming stretch of sales (black Friday, etc). However, I don't love the look and feel of it. I'd probably slap a case on it anyway.

The problem is; Google Pixel. I want one. I've wanted one for ages. I was too late for the Nexis parade and I've regretted it ever-since. (I did have a G1 and a G2 back in the day).

It just pisses me off that Google has priced these phones at the same level as Samsung. So yeah. I might be able to find a Pixel 3 for under $400 but I'd feel better if I could find one for less. Best would be if I could find a Pixel 4 for close to $400 but that's not going to happen. Arg, loving Google.

If my budget is around $400, preferably closer to $300, would I be making a huge mistake buying a Pixel 3 over a Galaxy S9 that is if they we close to the same price?

Also, not interested in Pixel 3a since it doesn't have wireless charging although I did recommend it to my Mother-in-Law who was interested in a cheap phone that's easy to use and takes nice pictures. gently caress you Google, for making it almost but not perfect.

I mainly use my smartphone for youtube, browsing, taking pictures (not so much recording, not so much music). I care about battery life. Both the S4 and now the S6 have gone the way of the degraded battery which pisses me off. I really wish my old Note 3 didn't brick, I'd probably still be using it today. I care about app compatibility. Sorry no Apple for me. I care about features. It's the main reason I've gone with Samsung all these years. But I also care about snappy simplicity thus my interest in the Pixel 3. Getting fresh OS updates would be nice. I've unlocked and rooted every Samsung I've gotten my hands on to remove any extra bloatware I didn't need and my updates have not been as frequent as they should be.

Sorry for the motormouth. I really want to like the Pixel 3 and I'm terrified that it's going to drive me nuts if I get it, like I'm totally going to regret it. Talk me off the ledge?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

inkblottime posted:

Sorry for the motormouth. I really want to like the Pixel 3 and I'm terrified that it's going to drive me nuts if I get it, like I'm totally going to regret it. Talk me off the ledge?

You posted a lot but I don't understand what's not to "get" about the Pixel. It's designed for someone who looks at a Samsung and proceeds to vomit immediately and you've been apparently been the sort without that reaction, so are you worried about not having competing ecosystems vying for your attention? What are your concerns about the Pixel line exactly?

You know what you get with a Samsung and given that the Pixel appeals to everything that isn't, I have to ask what you think you'll gain?

In the end it's just a phone and in your situation specifically it's an old phone. I feel like everything to know is already known.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

inkblottime posted:

stuff about phones

For whatever it's worth, I bought a mint used S10e for exactly $400. They are probably a bit cheaper now.

It's not a Pixel, but it's snappy and I like the form much better than the S6/7/8 that I owned previously. My wife has a P3 and it's nice as well. Other than the fingerprint scanner on the back vs on the side, there's not a lot different between them for average use. Just Samsung's app garbage that you can mostly disable and ignore.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Pipski posted:

Probably a bit late to be useful, but maybe a Razer or Razer 2? Very fast, 120Hz screen, big battery, Dolby Atmos. Cons: heavy af, camera lacks some bells and whistles.

I've enjoyed my Razer 2 for the last 6 months. Screen is great. Performance is great (I can run Morrowind on OMW with no lag). Speakers are good. Downsides are it is too big to be really comfortable in a pocket, and there's no guarantee I will ever get an update to Android 10. But for $400 the specs are pretty good and it's a pretty "clean" version of Android 9.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

You posted a lot but I don't understand what's not to "get" about the Pixel. It's designed for someone who looks at a Samsung and proceeds to vomit immediately and you've been apparently been the sort without that reaction, so are you worried about not having competing ecosystems vying for your attention? What are your concerns about the Pixel line exactly?

You know what you get with a Samsung and given that the Pixel appeals to everything that isn't, I have to ask what you think you'll gain?

In the end it's just a phone and in your situation specifically it's an old phone. I feel like everything to know is already known.

This should be a lesson to me for posting late at night. I tend to write too much info and make waaay too big a deal about first world issues. I apologize for that.

I'm not against the Google Pixel and I'm not for Samsung Galaxy, I've just seen the Galaxy series as a better value buy. The only reason I didn't go with the original Pixel is because of the price for perceived value and that pattern seems to continue with their line up to the 4. I personally am attracted to it's simplicity but also concerned about it's short-comings (small-ish battery, no SD Card, lackluster processor power, etc) and price tag. Almost every review I've looked at says the Pixel series in general is good but has been a disappointment when it comes to the direct competition at the same price point. Is that perception unfounded?

Is the Google Pixel 3 selling point literally "it's not Samsung"? That's what I'm trying to understand.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

inkblottime posted:

This should be a lesson to me for posting late at night. I tend to write too much info and make waaay too big a deal about first world issues. I apologize for that.

I'm not against the Google Pixel and I'm not for Samsung Galaxy, I've just seen the Galaxy series as a better value buy. The only reason I didn't go with the original Pixel is because of the price for perceived value and that pattern seems to continue with their line up to the 4. I personally am attracted to it's simplicity but also concerned about it's short-comings (small-ish battery, no SD Card, lackluster processor power, etc) and price tag. Almost every review I've looked at says the Pixel series in general is good but has been a disappointment when it comes to the direct competition at the same price point. Is that perception unfounded?

Is the Google Pixel 3 selling point literally "it's not Samsung"? That's what I'm trying to understand.

I'd say that the Pixel line is less "not a Samsung" and more "an Android iPhone" but I can see how that is pretty much the same thing. At the time the first Pixel launched it was way more obvious that they were going for a smoother, cohesive experience than Android OEMs were offering at the time but now three iterations later it's hard not to argue that Samsung at least has gotten better while the Pixel 3 had at least one annoying flaw (its memory management) so the gap is lessened.

The Pixel line was never meant to appeal to anyone who buys on specs but to someone who just wanted things to work without having to fiddle with it all the time and in my experience it's done that pretty well. That said, Samsungs (and OnePlus, it should be noted) have been making phones that work well too and without much janitoring all at a lower price. And it isn't kicking things out of memory while you're using them like the P3 is (maybe this is overblown? I only have a P1 and P2 to compare to).

Is the Pixel worth $1000? Probably not given the fact that in the past sales have been common. Is it worth $700? If you value the best camera and guaranteed security and software updates, yes in my opinion. Is it worth $400 a year later? Again it depends on your priorities but you've got 2 years of support left in it and the camera still works.

Probably not a very good answer but it's what I've got.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

That actually helps a lot to put it into perspective. I do value the security since it means I won't have to mess with updating a rooted phone. And I appreciate the simplicity. I just have a hard time putting a price on that value.

I might try to snag one on sale, maybe even a renewed one if the price is low enough so if it's a bust than I won't be out too much money. I was hoping to wait until the S10 series was out for a while but my S6 only lasts half the day with minimal browsing. If I hate the Pixal 3, I can suffer through it till the next sale and snag something else without feeling burned on the price tag.

Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I guess I should say if you want a hater's perspective that the Pixels generally have some inexplicable flaw (like the memory management) and while the idea of "clean Google software" sounds nice in theory, in practice you've got a bunch of software where half of it Google clearly doesn't give a poo poo and it's all so poorly integrated that it's tough to call it an ecosystem rather than a collection. You've got a lot fewer features than Samsung jams in there but while you'd think that'd mean more polish on what remains that's not really the case. Examples of this would be theming, customization, or gestural navigation.

I feel like the more you pay for a Google thing, the less excusable the inattention to detail is whereas with Samsung you know they don't sweat details, they just throw poo poo at the wall to see what sticks and you're paying by the pound for the amount of poo poo on that wall.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

I wish the manufacturers were more forth coming with antenna strength on their phones. That would be something I would consider. It's just ironic that a smartphone is typically okay at making calls and sometimes horrible.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

My pixel 2 is acting up (not receiving/sending SMS/MMS, most irritatingly), and I'd like to get a new phone. I'm currently on Fi and not interested in switching. I'd get a pixel 4 but I don't want the XL size and my understanding is that the battery life on the regular 4 is extremely bad, and I'm already annoyed at the battery life on my pixel 2. I'm also wary of pixels generally because both the 1 and 2 had build problems for me (this is my third pixel 2, after two previous phones bricked within warranty).

I want a Fi-compatible phone that has good battery life and can play light phone games, ideally in q smaller form factor. I don't care too much about having an up to date camera or face unlock or whatever. I'd like to spend about $500-700 for what is basically just a nice Android workhorse. What's my best bet?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm in Canada, what's a decent mid-range Android phone for around $400? Currently on a Zenfone 3 and looking for an upgrade.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Anyone dealt with spectrum mobile BYOD? Specifically, I want to just use my existing phone which isn't on their supported list, but also there's (that I am aware of) no technological reason why other phones won't work, since they're just a verizon reseller. Can I just plug an iphone imei into their verification thing and then put the sim they send me in my actual phone? Or is there an actual reason it won't work other than them wanting to sell me poo poo I don't need?

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I was set to buy a Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro 6gb as it seems like a good phone for the price, but the site I was going to get it from (that a friend has sucessfully bought from before) has went out of stock. https://www.honorbuy.com/1713-redmi-note-7-pro-128gb-global-rom-blue.html?search_query=redmi+note+7+pro&results=334

Does anyone know of a phone of similar quality at about this price point (I'm happy paying like, an extra $50) or a reputable online shop that ships these worldwide? (I'm in the UK)

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

So I got a Pixel 4 XL to replace a Pixel 2 XL and I'm...pretty underwhelmed? The battery life isn't much better and the phone feels pretty sluggish, especially compared to my work iPhone XR. I overwhelmingly prefer Android for my personal device and I saw that the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ seems to win a lot of battery and speed benchmarks. I pretty much only use the camera to supplement my Sony RX1-R2 for food photography and my main use case for my phone is listening to podcasts/Spotify and reading my RSS reader/Kindle app on long trips (why battery life is so important).

Would the Note 10+ be an improvement? I used to use a Samsung phone from the Galaxy S3 to the S7 and then switched to Pixels.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

The s5 I have has been running pretty hot and starting to slow down a bit lately, so I was thinking about finally moving on to something else. I do spend disproportionate amount of my time each day playing games on my phone, so something that handles that well would be nice. I was looking at the oneplus 7t, since that's about as high as I'd be willing to go pricewise, but is there anything else that would also be worth considering? Service provider is AT&T, if that's a big factor.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I've decided to just go with a nokia rather than shipping an xiaomi or whatever and taking my chances with malware etc.

I'm looking to spend about £250/$350 give or take and basically just want a nice screen and something that's not going to be sluggish for a good long while.

Anything on the horizon I should wait for, or should I just go for the 8.1 or something.

I'm upgrading from an Iphone 5S which has started to feel quite sluggish, if I can compare that with anything new on offer.

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 6, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
It's time to upgrade from my Pixel, which served me well. I'm located in Canada and will be leaving Bell (where I am paying about $110 for my plan monthly) for Telus because my company has an employee pricing plan through them

I tend to watch a reasonable amount of youtube and do many many very good posts on these forums on my phone. I also take a lot of low light photos and video. I generally would prefer to stay on Android but I'm not entirely opposed to an iPhone if the price is right. Since battery life is kind of important to me, I think it's time to move away from my PIxel even though I love the Google UI.

I can get a very good deal on any of the Samsung S10s and iPhone XRs right now (the regular S10 would be cheaper for me than a S9 thanks to a hefty hardware credit). Are Samsungs still Realplayer-levels of bloated messes? If not, I would probably prefer to move over to that tbh.

Edit: Maybe the S10E? I think I just need somebody to tell me if the S10 or S10E are good or not who isn't being supplied free phones by Samsung to say they're all good

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 6, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

It's time to upgrade from my Pixel, which served me well. I'm located in Canada and will be leaving Bell (where I am paying about $110 for my plan monthly) for Telus because my company has an employee pricing plan through them

I tend to watch a reasonable amount of youtube and do many many very good posts on these forums on my phone. I also take a lot of low light photos and video. I generally would prefer to stay on Android but I'm not entirely opposed to an iPhone if the price is right. Since battery life is kind of important to me, I think it's time to move away from my PIxel even though I love the Google UI.

I can get a very good deal on any of the Samsung S10s and iPhone XRs right now (the regular S10 would be cheaper for me than a S9 thanks to a hefty hardware credit). Are Samsungs still Realplayer-levels of bloated messes? If not, I would probably prefer to move over to that tbh.

Edit: Maybe the S10E? I think I just need somebody to tell me if the S10 or S10E are good or not who isn't being supplied free phones by Samsung to say they're all good

Read the last couple pages of the Android thread where a guy who bought the Note compares it to a Pixel 4 and OP7. It sounds like a pile of poo poo to me but it's got detail enough that I think you'll come away informed.

Given the nature of the fingerprint reader and the fact that banks are outright blocking the device from installing their apps because of it would be enough for me to give it a hard pass but it sounds like the adware is there in full force as well.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I just purchased a Xiami Mi 9 Lite, did I do it right or was it a mistake?

I'm looking for a mid-range cellphone, not tope of the line or something, and the cameras are almost no use to me. I just need it to watch videos mostly.

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013
How big of an improvement is the camera in the Pixel 3/4 vs the OG Pixel? I'm considering an upgrade around Black Friday, and the camera is my biggest concern, as it'll be my main photo/video unit for an upcoming 6 month backpacking adventure. Mostly Instagram photos and maybe a very non-professional YouTube vlog.

The wilderness isn't likely to be kind to whatever device I bring and my OG Pixel is still working fine, so if the camera difference between the new gens isn't significant I might just take my old phone. On the other hand, stargazing is my favorite and I'll be in some high elevation dark sky areas, so having an astrophotography mode without extra equipment would be AMAZING.

Thoughts?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Get the 4 and use both on your trip. Like you said it might be hard on the phone so it'd be nice to have a backup and your Pixel (like mine) is three years old already and will be closer to four after six months in the wilderness so you'll be replacing it eventually.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Hey all.

I feel like I need to be in the phone market again. I dropped my phone the other day and the screen popped out of it. I press fitted it back into place, and it seems to be working fine. But that's only going to hold for a week or two.

Currently have a Moto x4, have had it for 2+ years. It's been enough phone for me for most all my needs, but it has seemed a touch sluggish recently. Had a Motoroloa before it, and then Samsung for the phones before them. Not a brand loyalist.

I don't need the highest end flagship, and don't want it because my work tends to be rough on em. I do use my phone all the time at work though, so having a decent one wouldn't be awful.

Sprint customer. Not interested in switching providers (got that Sero premium).

The moto g7 fits the bill, but i dont think will be future proof. Its specs are similar to my x4 from 2 years ago. Oneplus 6/7 won't work with Sprint (?). Nor will the Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro.

What's a boy to do?

(thanks goons)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Hey all.

I feel like I need to be in the phone market again. I dropped my phone the other day and the screen popped out of it. I press fitted it back into place, and it seems to be working fine. But that's only going to hold for a week or two.

Currently have a Moto x4, have had it for 2+ years. It's been enough phone for me for most all my needs, but it has seemed a touch sluggish recently. Had a Motoroloa before it, and then Samsung for the phones before them. Not a brand loyalist.

I don't need the highest end flagship, and don't want it because my work tends to be rough on em. I do use my phone all the time at work though, so having a decent one wouldn't be awful.

Sprint customer. Not interested in switching providers (got that Sero premium).

The moto g7 fits the bill, but i dont think will be future proof. Its specs are similar to my x4 from 2 years ago. Oneplus 6/7 won't work with Sprint (?). Nor will the Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro.

What's a boy to do?

(thanks goons)

Black Friday is coming up, find a discounted Pixel 3.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm using a Galaxy S7 right now. I like the phone and I don't have any particular need to upgrade at this time, but the battery's ~3 years old now and doesn't hold a charge well anymore. With Black Friday coming up, I'm going to be looking for a new phone and need some suggestions.

AT&T, USA, no contract, not interested in switching providers, has to be an Android phone. Budget of about $300-$350. I pretty much just use the phone for basic internet poo poo and don't use it for work, so my only real concerns are battery life and that the camera isn't worse than the one in my S7.

And with that aside, would it ever be worth it to just go to a cell phone repair place and pay the ~$70 have them replace the battery for me, or is it better to just bite the bullet and replace the phone in these situations?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

I'm using a Galaxy S7 right now. I like the phone and I don't have any particular need to upgrade at this time, but the battery's ~3 years old now and doesn't hold a charge well anymore. With Black Friday coming up, I'm going to be looking for a new phone and need some suggestions.

AT&T, USA, no contract, not interested in switching providers, has to be an Android phone. Budget of about $300-$350. I pretty much just use the phone for basic internet poo poo and don't use it for work, so my only real concerns are battery life and that the camera isn't worse than the one in my S7.

And with that aside, would it ever be worth it to just go to a cell phone repair place and pay the ~$70 have them replace the battery for me, or is it better to just bite the bullet and replace the phone in these situations?

Cell phone repair stores are all over the map, some you’re getting legit parts, some you are getting 3rd party, etc. “You Break I Fix” I’m pretty sure is the chain repair shop Samsung has an agreement with, so that’s likely your best bet.

That said, battery will make the phone work better, but it’ll still be a S7. I would at least wait, see what the Black Friday deals are, and decide from there.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I've delayed my purchase and am after spotting the G8 plus which came out recently. It's a 100% buy for me (Well maybe 85-90% after looking at some reviews :ohdear:), but what are the odds that it'll show up on some Black Friday/Cyber Monday flash sale? Nil, because it's so new? Are there equivalents where I can get a better camera by paying a little extra? Headphone jack is required.

P.S. Can someone please explain what the reviews mean when they say the 48MP camera is actually 12MP? Would it still be a major improvement over my G5's camera?

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 14, 2019

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

School Nickname posted:

P.S. Can someone please explain what the reviews mean when they say the 48MP camera is actually 12MP? Would it still be a major improvement over my G5's camera?

If that's what they're saying the reviewer is wrong. The cameras main sensor has 48MP. The imaged is binned to 12MP though, which, compared to a 48MP image lowers the resolution (obviously) but raises the amount of light per pixel and the signal to noise ratio. The number of megapixels is absolutely completely 100% irrelevant on a modern phone camera though.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Country/Provider: USA / Ting (sprint sims atm)

Current contract status: No contract

Budget (phone/plan): Cheap as possible, likely to get dropped/lost

Features I know I want: Been looking at google fi for family, roughly same total cost as Ting but would get better coverage. I currently have a Pixel 3a XL which is fine but family has old phones (oldest being something running android 4) which really need to be replaced anyway. They don't need the phones to do much outside text/facebook/hotspot/etc. but the multinetwork thing would help them traveling and that requires slightly newer hardware. Open to alternatives.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Have a Galaxy S3 I purchased over 6 years ago. It's slow now (not a surprise), and some apps for some reason don't work at all (Yahoo fantasy sports this year would give me notifications but not let me run the actual app - gave error message about latest android version, even tho my OS is up to date with provider). Briefly priced new Samsung phones at AT&T store, and I just don't want to spend $700+ on a phone because I'm cheap.

Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

Budget (phone/plan): feel comfortable in the $300 - $500 range

I don't care about picture quality or any premium hardware features, except I demand Android OS, standard wired headphone jack, ability to self-install replacement battery (on just my third with the S3 and replacing it was easy). Just want a phone that works well and loads apps reasonably quickly for now and 2-3 years to come. S3 was very reliable (until this year) at least.

I do miss the "we'll sell you a premium phone for $100 if you do a 2-3 year contract" days, but from what I can tell they're gone forever. Not really interested in switching providers, because I'm satisfied with AT&T's coverage in my rural area.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Makarov_ posted:

Have a Galaxy S3 I purchased over 6 years ago. It's slow now (not a surprise), and some apps for some reason don't work at all (Yahoo fantasy sports this year would give me notifications but not let me run the actual app - gave error message about latest android version, even tho my OS is up to date with provider). Briefly priced new Samsung phones at AT&T store, and I just don't want to spend $700+ on a phone because I'm cheap.

Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

Budget (phone/plan): feel comfortable in the $300 - $500 range

I don't care about picture quality or any premium hardware features, except I demand Android OS, standard wired headphone jack, ability to self-install replacement battery (on just my third with the S3 and replacing it was easy). Just want a phone that works well and loads apps reasonably quickly for now and 2-3 years to come. S3 was very reliable (until this year) at least.

I do miss the "we'll sell you a premium phone for $100 if you do a 2-3 year contract" days, but from what I can tell they're gone forever. Not really interested in switching providers, because I'm satisfied with AT&T's coverage in my rural area.

Few things

-give up on the removable battery. I get it, but manufacturers just moved away from it. If it helps, battery capacity has gone up a lot, in my opinion due to non removable battery, so you will at least get a longer lasting battery.

-the 2 year contract was actually a bad deal for you. You got a discounted phone, but your bill never went down once the phone was paid off. So, again I get your sentiment, but keep in mind it’s actually better for your use case (someone who keeps a phone for 3-5 years) that 2 year contracts are gone.

That said, that doesn’t mean you need to buy a $700-900 phone.

If you really, really want a headphone jack you can probably find the Samsung Galaxy S9 on sale for Black Friday (and maybe the S10e/S10).

If you can settle without a headphone jack, the Pixel 3 can probably be found on sale this month somewhere, also a good buy.

Those are high end phones “normally” $700+. You probably would be ok with “medium” $300-500 phones, but it’s November, i recommend finding a Black Friday special for a top tier phone vs a decent discount on a mid tier phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Pixel 3a is going to be $200 off, which is a pretty great deal and has a headphone jack. The removable battery is going to be ahrd to find, though.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018

Duckman2008 posted:

Few things

-give up on the removable battery. I get it, but manufacturers just moved away from it. If it helps, battery capacity has gone up a lot, in my opinion due to non removable battery, so you will at least get a longer lasting battery.

-the 2 year contract was actually a bad deal for you. You got a discounted phone, but your bill never went down once the phone was paid off. So, again I get your sentiment, but keep in mind it’s actually better for your use case (someone who keeps a phone for 3-5 years) that 2 year contracts are gone.

That said, that doesn’t mean you need to buy a $700-900 phone.

If you really, really want a headphone jack you can probably find the Samsung Galaxy S9 on sale for Black Friday (and maybe the S10e/S10).

If you can settle without a headphone jack, the Pixel 3 can probably be found on sale this month somewhere, also a good buy.

Those are high end phones “normally” $700+. You probably would be ok with “medium” $300-500 phones, but it’s November, i recommend finding a Black Friday special for a top tier phone vs a decent discount on a mid tier phone.

Thanks. Was just quoted $475 for an LG V40 ThinQ - "on sale" from $949 retail price - the S10e was about $750. Any thoughts on the V40?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Has anyone used the Motorola One phones? I really like stock Android and don't want a Pixel again.

How was the user experience on it?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Finally decided to pull the trigger on a new phone. I'm in the UK and am looking for something with a nice midsize-to-large screen and plenty of battery capacity with a good whack of memory, expandable if possible. It doesn't need to be super powerful processor-wise.

I mostly look at the internet and listen to podcasts on my phone, I sometimes watch football on it. I don't play games on it or really do anything which needs a lot of juice.

No specific budget in mind but the cheaper the better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Makarov_ posted:

Thanks. Was just quoted $475 for an LG V40 ThinQ - "on sale" from $949 retail price - the S10e was about $750. Any thoughts on the V40?

Never buy LG phones. Poor software support, poorly made software and hardware to begin with, bad reputation of having issues.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Has anyone used the Motorola One phones? I really like stock Android and don't want a Pixel again.

How was the user experience on it?

I've had and used a couple... Moto x4 and g7 are both good for cost and only have a couple proprietary apps. They update a month after mainline Google phones, typically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My Moto G5+ is starting to feel pretty long in the tooth, what's a good upgrade in the $300 - $400 range? Looks like some good deals are shaking out for the Pixel 3a for Black Friday, and I assume there are some nice Samsungs out there but I'm not sure what's current.