Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People saw a framed Ben garrison or some other right wing politician comic in the background of one of his vids like 3 years ago and have extrapolated that he's a huge chud ever since. Even tho I think he lives/lived with his parents so it was probably theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think that ever happened

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kim Justice posted:

Well, Contra has left Twitter and I'm sure that she'll be back next week and-OH MY GOD REVIEWBRAH NEARLY DIED

https://twitter.com/IAmReviewbrah/status/1192157562411638785?s=19

aw gently caress. i hope he gets better, i hosed up my tailbone in a surgery and it was loving hell for weeks. maybe he can review hospital food.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Thompsons posted:

lmao seriously is everyone going to ask this of every new internet personality that comes up

People will stop asking when it stops happening.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think that ever happened

I dunno, but it was something people wouldn't shut up about for literally forever. I don't think it means anything even if it's real. but it's the 'origin' of people saying that and it's stupid as hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who? Where?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I dunno what you want me to say lol. I would see it on twitter anytime he was brought up, random threads on these forums across time. etc. it was something spread around and not just conjured out of nowhere today.

e: two seconds in google

NOTE: I DO NOT THINK HE IS SOME SORT OF CRYPTOFACIST.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wearing a suit AND having delivery? Sounds like a chud if I saw one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like there are or were dozens of young teen white boys in ill-fitting suits with that same haircut on youtube who are chuds. I had him confused with a tween from the gamergate times who has since grown into a large lumpy man.

No argument about this kid, but the signifiers might be accidental.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Leal posted:

Wearing a suit AND having delivery? Sounds like a chud if I saw one.

it's not delivery it's digiorno

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i remember those rumors, and him saying it was all bs

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

SpiritualDeath posted:

The last time I watched any MrEnter was several years ago, and considering back then I was even dumber than I am now, the fact that I still thought his videos were annoying garbage should say something. He just seemed like the endgame of the 'rage' critic brand, where every video is a recitation of a cartoon plot with various ways to say "this doesn't make any sense this animation is gross these characters are such bad people" every 10 seconds, and basically no levity or variety of perspectives/angles. Also his enunciation made him sound like an 8-year-old, which was pathetic and unbearable to listen to. Surprised anyone on this forum would give him the light of day (I know it was only a couple people but still)--has he improved significantly in the last few years or something?

As far as his media criticism goes, it has definitely improved. It's still not great media criticism (it's good enough for background noise for me), but he's definitely chilled out and is less liable to fly off the handle attacking creators for slightly annoying him. He's also clearly been trying to branch out from being pigeonholed as the "shouty guy who reviews western animation," for example he recently did a series of videos on the different social media companies (which I did not watch because I suspect he doesn't know enough about them to avoid sticking his foot in his mouth), so at least he's not stagnating like the Nostalgia Critic.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Thompsons posted:

lmao seriously is everyone going to ask this of every new internet personality that comes up

IS HE CHUD?? IS HE CHUD ADJACENT?? IS HE CHUD COMPLIANT??? BIG CHUD CITY >>> YOUTUBE GUY <<<???

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Crocoswine posted:

:henget:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Assume the worst of everyone, trust no content creators, dehumanize yourself and face to product

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

you son of a bitch

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Crocoswine posted:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I hope for a speedy recovery for the review boy. I only watch his videos every once in awhile but it makes me happy every time I remember he's out there doing his thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVZfPohK96U

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You're really getting a lot of mileage out of that avatar.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

everything is political on an academic level on some level. i do think some of the arguments are misunderstandings and bad explanations of how it works but there is alot of bad faith dumbasses chud types muddying the waters too. i think alot of people view politics only as a partisan thing instead of say a sociological/academic thing. game pr types also view it probably as the former plus they have to sell to as many as possible. its part of the reason why you get the ubisoft type quotes from big companies/AA companies even when the games are political and such.

Your definition of it is what makes me more accepting of the notion. I can see how in an academic sense or environment, there would be a study of politics in a piece of art.

Where I still sort of push against the notion, though, is with the argument that not everyone engages with art on that level, and not every work is trying to make a political point. On top of that, one's own biases or interpretation I think are a factor. Five different people could view some piece of art, and each might find a completely different message or idea, and none of them might be anything to do with what the original artist intended (if they intended anything at all).

I think in a lot of cases, when people say, "I don't want politics in games", they don't mean in the sense of 'i'm a bigot and blah blah blah' (some do, but not all). I think it's because people are sick to death of politics in the world as it is, and they look to games and movies as an escape from it. Sure you could probably write a whole Twitter thread on, "Here's how Skyrim is like the Trump administration", and there might be a few valid points in it...but you don't have to do that. You don't need to tie everything in entertainment to the current political climate or ongoing social issues.

As far as games striving to be political, I feel like games like Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and The Division have demonstrated that doing that kind of thing is like playing with fire, and when they fumble it, they get burned pretty badly.

What I'm trying to get across is that while it's valid to say that art is political, not everyone wants to have an academic discussion about it, and belaboring the point just brews trouble, and makes people unhappy and upset. As it is now, the kind of people who go ":smug: Oh, all art is political, and if you're denying it, then you just did a politics" need to get slapped hard upside the head.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 7, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
At the same time, I think it's just bubbling up because people and companies are being idiots about "not being political." Like Ubisoft trying to insist that its games aren't political. And making a game all about a hardcore religious militia and various other backwoods militias and making the story the blandest possible mess because they didn't want to be political.

And a lot of times "not wanting a political game/show/movie" just means that they do want a political thing, just one that supports the status quo or their cultural politics. A game that features hero cops isn't going to be criticized as a political game, for example.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Your definition of it is what makes me more accepting of the notion. I can see how in an academic sense or environment, there would be a study of politics in a piece of art.

Where I still sort of push against the notion, though, is with the argument that not everyone engages with art on that level, and not every work is trying to make a political point. On top of that, one's own biases or interpretation I think are a factor. Five different people could view some piece of art, and each might find a completely different message or idea, and none of them might be anything to do with what the original artist intended (if they intended anything at all).

I think in a lot of cases, when people say, "I don't want politics in games", they don't mean in the sense of 'i'm a bigot and blah blah blah' (some do, but not all). I think it's because people are sick to death of politics in the world as it is, and they look to games and movies as an escape from it. Sure you could probably write a whole Twitter thread on, "Here's how Skyrim is like the Trump administration", and there might be a few valid points in it...but you don't have to do that. You don't need to tie everything in entertainment to the current political climate or ongoing social issues.

As far as games striving to be political, I feel like games like Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and The Division have demonstrated that doing that kind of thing is like playing with fire, and when they fumble it, they get burned pretty badly.

What I'm trying to get across is that while it's valid to say that art is political, not everyone wants to have an academic discussion about it, and belaboring the point just brews trouble, and makes people unhappy and upset. As it is now, the kind of people who go ":smug: Oh, all art is political, and if you're denying it, then you just did a politics" need to get slapped hard upside the head.

honestly you said it better than me. especially on the latter point at least to me personally. like sometimes i feel like people are just yelling over/past each other on this issue. whats funny is i think the division 2 did a much better job with its politics but said people who talk about that stuff, will never play it, so whatever.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

At the same time, I think it's just bubbling up because people and companies are being idiots about "not being political." Like Ubisoft trying to insist that its games aren't political. And making a game all about a hardcore religious militia and various other backwoods militias and making the story the blandest possible mess because they didn't want to be political.

And a lot of times "not wanting a political game/show/movie" just means that they do want a political thing, just one that supports the status quo or their cultural politics. A game that features hero cops isn't going to be criticized as a political game, for example.

i think its a mix of PR types viewing politics strictly as partisan affairs and also wanting to sell as many games as possible without rocking the boat to hard. i have seen some people on various sites act like ubisoft is full of super gamegate chuds but that strikes me as bullshit. I was at e3 this year and talked to one of the PR people for a while in line for a game demo. she basically said that their whole idea is "present everything and let the player come to their own conclusions" which isn't bad answer and she admitted they have been bad at getting messages out. i will say, the narrative quest director person who was demoing watch dogs legion for us was pretty open that it was political, though she says they heightened a bunch of stuff. i feel like publishers and devs are trying to word stuff better, but your never gonna please everyone, as i have said it other threads, i saw RPS lie out its rear end about the cyberpunk demo(because i saw the same loving demo), so they could act super offended by the game and get clicks. and no it wasnt the advertisement thing, which was dumb and problematic.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 7, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Mostly it's a pain when it's leaking into development. To be fair, Ubisoft may be learning this lesson and it does seem like they'll let that new Watchdogs do its own thing. Maybe. I'm happy to hear that they're going with that angle in demos though.

I didn't play The Division 2, because I don't think it's quite my kind of game, but while they were more openly political you still had the issue where the Antifa equivalent existed as a mindless group of anarchy thugs to fight in game, from what I understand. They could have been a non-existent, beaten, NPC faction that was just in the lore and still fit fine. They left more room in the story for expression and it sounds like they did a better job overall, but when you insist on offering two equal sides you're making a choice, and on top of that it tends to leave the base game bland and disappointing for everyone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mostly it's a pain when it's leaking into development. To be fair, Ubisoft may be learning this lesson and it does seem like they'll let that new Watchdogs do its own thing. Maybe. I'm happy to hear that they're going with that angle in demos though.

I didn't play The Division 2, because I don't think it's quite my kind of game, but while they were more openly political you still had the issue where the Antifa equivalent existed as a mindless group of anarchy thugs to fight in game, from what I understand. They could have been a non-existent, beaten, NPC faction that was just in the lore and still fit fine. They left more room in the story for expression and it sounds like they did a better job overall, but when you insist on offering two equal sides you're making a choice, and on top of that it tends to leave the base game bland and disappointing for everyone.

the hyneas arnt really that antifa. its more like genertic raider/crime gang with stolen cop equipment and joker sensibilities. they are basicaly the replacement faction for the random "rioter" class/mixed with the rikers. 2 of the big baddy factions are pretty explicit right wing. the true sons who are all cops/national guard/etc who went full facist and took blue lives matter to its conclusion and black tusk who are basically blackwater. its not perfect, but its alot better.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I like Jim Sterlin. But he keeps giving glowing reviews to mediocre games while making them seem awesome and tricking me into buying them.

First was children of Morta which was "neat" but grindy as hell and not worth the money it cost.

Second was The Outer Worlds which he proclaimed made Bethesdas fallout series redundant. When in reality Outer Worlds is more of a AA version of mass effect 1.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like there are or were dozens of young teen white boys in ill-fitting suits with that same haircut on youtube who are chuds. I had him confused with a tween from the gamergate times who has since grown into a large lumpy man.

No argument about this kid, but the signifiers might be accidental.

yea to be fair if you told me there was a young white guy who billed himself as some kinda suit wearing food reviewer I'd probably go 'oh that kid has some tweets about black crime stats doesn't he' but thankfully this one does seem to be a nice one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Didn't this kid end up being a chud?

You sure you're not getting him mixed up with Projared or something?

He looks like someone but I can't quite remember who.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

DJ Qualls?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I suppose, but I think it's still possible for someone to enjoy something that doesn't line up with their personal politics.

I think it depends on what you're talking about. Something like Dirty Harry is pretty politically loaded, but something like Spongebob is considerably less so. (I know that's not the best comparison, but you get my point.)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly you said it better than me. especially on the latter point at least to me personally. like sometimes i feel like people are just yelling over/past each other on this issue. whats funny is i think the division 2 did a much better job with its politics but said people who talk about that stuff, will never play it, so whatever.

i think its a mix of PR types viewing politics strictly as partisan affairs and also wanting to sell as many games as possible without rocking the boat to hard. i have seen some people on various sites act like ubisoft is full of super gamegate chuds but that strikes me as bullshit. I was at e3 this year and talked to one of the PR people for a while in line for a game demo. she basically said that their whole idea is "present everything and let the player come to their own conclusions" which isn't bad answer and she admitted they have been bad at getting messages out. i will say, the narrative quest director person who was demoing watch dogs legion for us was pretty open that it was political, though she says they heightened a bunch of stuff. i feel like publishers and devs are trying to word stuff better, but your never gonna please everyone, as i have said it other threads, i saw RPS lie out its rear end about the cyberpunk demo(because i saw the same loving demo), so they could act super offended by the game and get clicks. and no it wasnt the advertisement thing, which was dumb and problematic.

The Division just didn't grab me. I think the only thing I know about it is that the first game had this poor setup with its mission system where players actually had to wait in line to get missions/rewards or something (which, while annoying from a gameplay viewpoint, is amusingly realistic). I do like that idea of leaving things up to the player's conclusions.

I haven't seen anything of Watch_Dog Legions, but I really liked Watch_Dogs 2. Again, I think going all in with political stuff is risky, but if it's along the lines of WD2, it might be fine.

I know about the whole Cyberpunk ad thing, but what did RPS lie about with the demo? I recall seeing something about that a while back.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 7, 2019

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Reviewbrah reminds me of a young Christopher Walken more than anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

With the Division it was that the tutorial mission giver could only interact with one person at a time, which was somewhat of an oversight in an MMO launch. Players didn't need to wait in line, but organically formed the line themselves rather than taking their chances by crowding the quest npc and hoping to get lucky with clicks.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

sexpig by night posted:

yea to be fair if you told me there was a young white guy who billed himself as some kinda suit wearing food reviewer I'd probably go 'oh that kid has some tweets about black crime stats doesn't he' but thankfully this one does seem to be a nice one.

Pretty much this, and that's why I asked. I thought he pandered heavily to the 4chan crowd because his shtick seems 100% born out out 4chan irony poison culture, but that might not be true?? :shrug:

He's still a dweeby looking kid in a suit reviewing fast food, and I thought goons would hate him just on those grounds, chud or no.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Pretty much this, and that's why I asked. I thought he pandered heavily to the 4chan crowd because his shtick seems 100% born out out 4chan irony poison culture, but that might not be true?? :shrug:

He's still a dweeby looking kid in a suit reviewing fast food, and I thought goons would hate him just on those grounds, chud or no.

you're weird

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr7pyggTmmY&t=145s

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Personally I think its also about how political issues are implemented in media. A lot has been said about the Nier series, but I don't i've ever seen it knocked it for its subtle political messaging.(humanity's impact on the future, the idea that gender is decided more by expression than anything physical and LGBT stuff, things like that). While I've seen people, who praise Nier, knock other stuff for beating you over the head with the same messages.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Personally I think its also about how political issues are implemented in media. A lot has been said about the Nier series, but I don't i've ever seen it knocked it for its subtle political messaging.(humanity's impact on the future, the idea that gender is decided more by expression than anything physical and LGBT stuff, things like that). While I've seen people, who praise Nier, knock other stuff for beating you over the head with the same messages.

Broke: Japanese game devs are better than Western game devs because they don't put politics in their game.

Woke: Japanese game devs are better than Western games devs because they examine political issues in games in a way that feels organic, and without being jarring or heavy-handed about it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 7, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Galaxy brain: Japanese devs hide politics under 10 feet of lolis to the point where no one sees it and when someone points out that the lolis are problematic they get called out for bringing politics into an apolitical game.

Then they post a developer blog where the developer reminisces over the quality of his loli engineering team that made the finest lolis ever created in his career. And one specific loli was the result of 6 months of loli artisanship. Followed by a picture of him in his office with 10 loli plastic figures and a loli poster.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Low Lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

gamers will think that any mention of anything political is beating the player over the head so lol

And I think that the subsection of gamers that don't like games being political is because real-life is political enough is a very small subsection (I've been that guy occasionally).