Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

Just reenable the thing that says you're open. It costs nothing.

i’m upset at them assuming that i was receiving offers worthy of a response not that i had to click a button

maybe instead flag the recruiters who are spamming or charge them more as a penalty idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They have to pay money to message you iirc. If you reply even with a "not interested" they get a little back.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

They have to pay money to message you iirc. If you reply even with a "not interested" they get a little back.

yeah and that’s why i’m not pushing that button. it’s clear they haven’t even read what i’m looking for so gently caress em

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

It seems I've been doing the wrong thing by clicking not interested every time then! what a lovely website

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
found out the guy who got the job I applied for in August is a former colleague who is a total muppet. so either they are complete idiots or I am. not sure if this is bullet dodged or if I need to reevaluate my self image:/

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

found out the guy who got the job I applied for in August is a former colleague who is a total muppet. so either they are complete idiots or I am. not sure if this is bullet dodged or if I need to reevaluate my self image:/
interviews are an imperfect process and luck plays a way bigger role than anyone involved would like to admit

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
anybody got tips for negotiating compensation for an internal transfer

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

jesus WEP posted:

interviews are an imperfect process and luck plays a way bigger role than anyone involved would like to admit

finally landed my first job as a developer after making it to the final round with 6 other companies. i couldnt begin to tell you what was different on the last one.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

well this and bias

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
sick and tired of the anti-muppet bias around here tbh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Foo posted:

well this and bias
luck can also mean "lucky enough to be born white/male/to parents wealthy enough to send you to a fancy school"

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

just got a resume that listed Reddit and three specific anime sub genres under “skills and interests”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

just got a resume that listed Reddit and three specific anime sub genres under “skills and interests”

when do they start

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

AWWNAW posted:

I want to believe this but I can't believe this

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I don't want to believe this, but I actually do believe this

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we have found your resume lacking in genki [or "motivating sprit"] but please feel free to reach out to us in the future after you have spent a couple years undergoing intense ascetic training in the woods

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
My kokoro skills are Microsoft office and HTML

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had a resume with a GPG key in it once.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I can see why for certain roles it might be appropriate but did it help them get an interview?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

gently caress yeah

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fluppet posted:

I can see why for certain roles it might be appropriate but did it help them get an interview?

lol no. Dude was more of a tech bro and Linux fan boy then what we actually needed.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

dragon enthusiast posted:

anybody got tips for negotiating compensation for an internal transfer

apply elsewhere, get an offer, and use it as leverage to get a better internal offer

take that offer back to whatever new place gave you an offer, ask them to up their offer to compete, and take the new job

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

If they used short keyid, I hope you mocked them mercilessly.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Had a panel interview for an interesting role. During that interview, the hiring manager commented repeatedly on my '5-star, excellent', etc. resume. I get a call ~week later from their HR person who says they've identified another candidate, and then sends me a different job to apply for. That hiring team apparently wants to talk to me.

The first role seemed to be a good fit for my background and interests -- analytics and research on emerging electrical generation technologies with some 'machine learning' thrown into the mix. After the interview it seemed like more just analytics on whatever experiments they had in place. This new role is apparently more entrenched in the modeling aspect.

Seems like a case of an organization not really understanding how to communicate their needs. It's a conservative, slow-moving industry I guess. Searching on job title alone, it sounds like it would be a step down. Think I'm going to take this opportunity to just see how far negotiation can take me.

Kudaros fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 1, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AWWNAW posted:

I mean, I guess I'm just glad to see that Smoka is trying to move up in the world?

:shrug:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 3 stars on teen gay hentai but a full 5 on wacky boy adventures

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

relevant to this thread

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
oh geez I got a google interview

what do i do im basically retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Scionix posted:

what do i do im basically retarded

just practice bullshit problems from the internet

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Hooray, have a meet the team interview tomorrow.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

DuckConference posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DuckConference posted:

practice that problem the homebrew author failed on

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

practice that problem the homebrew author failed on

the home brew guy said he was told to “reverse a tree” or something else that didn’t make sense so he pretty clearly didn’t actually understand what he was being asked

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I keep getting conflicting messages on this so naturally I want to confuse myself further.

I have job experience in an entirely different role (electrical engineer) compared to what I do now (touch computer). EE background has been useful for certain things like specific industry + business knowledge for my current job, a handful of technical things related to it when doing some modeling, yadda yadda, but not much else. stuff that would vanish if I went to work for, like, fintech or a web/ad monstrosity or something. the other types of job skill, like communication, team work, team management, working with clients (even a brief embedded consulting type stint overseas), etc. I believe is shown by my current position, but I could use the previous career stuff for that kind of thing as well though the context is completely different.

some people have told me that I should flesh out that part a lil bit, maybe play it up a little. others tell me that, because there's no real job skill transfer to what I do now, to just leave it as a single line to show I was here at this time before starting this career and wasn't completely loving around or unemployed. assume there's a cover letter explaining the transition if relevant in finer detail (or maybe not, maybe it doesn't matter, I've been at my current job for over 1.5 years idk)

I've been doing the latter because, if I was hiring for the positions I am applying for, I don't think I'd give a poo poo about the previous job. Even though it's not retail cashier I don't think it's all that relevant other than showing that I've been able to do technical jobs for total x years. But if that's dumb then it would be much appreciated if someone told me so

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

the home brew guy said he was told to “reverse a tree” or something else that didn’t make sense so he pretty clearly didn’t actually understand what he was being asked

You mean plant the leaves in the ground? Why would you do that, how would the tree photosynthesize?

:ohdear:

Y'all gonna have Treebeard whaling on your rear end if you're not careful...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Reverse a binary search tree iirc. Given a bst sorted in ascending order return the same tree sorted in descending order or vice versa.

Like, swap the left and right ptrs then recurse into the non null children.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Sleng Teng posted:

I keep getting conflicting messages on this so naturally I want to confuse myself further.

I have job experience in an entirely different role (electrical engineer) compared to what I do now (touch computer). EE background has been useful for certain things like specific industry + business knowledge for my current job, a handful of technical things related to it when doing some modeling, yadda yadda, but not much else. stuff that would vanish if I went to work for, like, fintech or a web/ad monstrosity or something. the other types of job skill, like communication, team work, team management, working with clients (even a brief embedded consulting type stint overseas), etc. I believe is shown by my current position, but I could use the previous career stuff for that kind of thing as well though the context is completely different.

some people have told me that I should flesh out that part a lil bit, maybe play it up a little. others tell me that, because there's no real job skill transfer to what I do now, to just leave it as a single line to show I was here at this time before starting this career and wasn't completely loving around or unemployed. assume there's a cover letter explaining the transition if relevant in finer detail (or maybe not, maybe it doesn't matter, I've been at my current job for over 1.5 years idk)

I've been doing the latter because, if I was hiring for the positions I am applying for, I don't think I'd give a poo poo about the previous job. Even though it's not retail cashier I don't think it's all that relevant other than showing that I've been able to do technical jobs for total x years. But if that's dumb then it would be much appreciated if someone told me so

Interested in the answer to this as well. I have a similar issue where I worked for a big game studio for 5+ years, then left to try my hand at being an entrepreneur in a completely different field. After 2 years, I've decided to go back to the tech industry, but not 100% sure how to setup my resume. Do I gloss over the last 2 years, or try to flesh them amount with something that sort of relates in a half rear end way?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
its the hiring managers job to ignore ur resume, not urs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Scionix posted: