Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fabulousity posted:

While ya'll argue about All State, Progressive, and Farmers the real bad guy is getting away: Geico. Over fifteen years of trash on all forms of media. They're the middle aged "everyone at the office says I should do stand up" dad so convinced of their own greatness they even did an ad campaign that was nothing but call backs to their previous ads.

The only GEICO ad I really like is the "slasher movie" one. The look on the guy's face at the end is hilarious.

*sigh* Now I HAVE to kill these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Or that time they tried to turn one of their ads into a sitcom, which was promptly cancelled

Starring Nick Kroll, lmao

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mahoning posted:

Are you kidding? I've seen that commercial no less than a BILLION times. It would play like every commercial break over the summer when watching Hulu with ads. Til I ponied up for no ads after canceling Netflix and Amazon.

That poo poo shows up on Food Network a lot.

Those dumb competition shows are usually my jam while doing house work, but oh my loving God, they have this rotation of about four ads that shows up every commercial break, and that is not an exaggeration in the slightest.

Every. loving. Commercial. Break.

-Center for Missing and Exploited Children where a boy goes missing for 33 years.

-An ad about a faceless creep threatening to leak a lady's nudes if she doesn't do a cam show for him

-three anonymous tip line ads where the informant's voice is wildly different than the person (like an Australian male when the caller is a young woman)

-an ad about missing teens with 'Runaway Train' playing during it.

-the odd insurance commercial pops up too

I mute the ads as fast as I can.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Robitussin is starting to put out ads that were written by Robotrippers. Unless it was me who was Robotripping...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you dislike seeing Dikembe Mutombo obliterate a cereal box, then taunt a child, I posit you are incapable of appreciating humor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Robitussin is starting to put out ads that were written by Robotrippers. Unless it was me who was Robotripping...

They need to use this as the commercial theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsBnYOLeXuc

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Sash! posted:

If you dislike seeing Dikembe Mutombo obliterate a cereal box, then taunt a child, I posit you are incapable of appreciating humor.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

That poo poo shows up on Food Network a lot.

Those dumb competition shows are usually my jam while doing house work, but oh my loving God, they have this rotation of about four ads that shows up every commercial break, and that is not an exaggeration in the slightest.

Every. loving. Commercial. Break.

-Center for Missing and Exploited Children where a boy goes missing for 33 years.

-An ad about a faceless creep threatening to leak a lady's nudes if she doesn't do a cam show for him

-three anonymous tip line ads where the informant's voice is wildly different than the person (like an Australian male when the caller is a young woman)

-an ad about missing teens with 'Runaway Train' playing during it.

-the odd insurance commercial pops up too

I mute the ads as fast as I can.

Are you watching this on a service that tailors your ads? My mom's Comcast tailors to her area, which is generally rich but she lives in the poor part, so she gets tons of ads about investments, fancy vacations, BMWs, etc, whereas friends in different areas and of younger ages get "funny" ads and such. If I accidentally connect to the public Xfinity in my building I get ads in Spanish.

If these ads are, in fact, being tailored to you... :ohdear:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Sash! posted:

I hold that this is the lone exception to Geico's bad ads. It's incredibly good and the only knock against it is that it is a Geico ad.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SpacePig posted:

I hold that this is the lone exception to Geico's bad ads. It's incredibly good and the only knock against it is that it is a Geico ad.

I think the very first caveman ad was good.

A regular guy is just in a suit, saying Geico is so easy a caveman can do it, then there's a smash and the camera pans to reveal the "behind the scenes" caveman boom-mike operator who shouts,
"Not cool!" and storms off.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
No one is more thoroughly confident they're the funniest people on earth than the people who write Geico and Progressive commercials.

Some of the progressive ones are just so bereft of anything even close to creativity too. Like as awful as the hump day commercial is, i understand how it appeals to boring boomers or whatever. But the Progressive on ice commercial? Who is that even for?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I want Flo and Jamie in Thunderdome.

The twist? They both die.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I was fine with Flo. This whole Flo extended universe is weird though.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Flo is a mega-babe but those commercials are the epitome of :regd08:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Bruceski posted:

I was fine with Flo. This whole Flo extended universe is weird though.

https://ogn.theonion.com/preview-pokemon-sword-and-shield-is-sadly-marred-by-1838970970

(and I suppose corporate sponsorship is tangentially related to this thread)

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Progressive commercials are mostly better than Geico's monkey cheese. Progressive on ice and the theme park are definite misses but Flo dating (he's got pics of you on his phone) and Jamie's mansion are good.

edit: the 10 second version of this commercial is god awful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRoNy20QjY

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Faustian Bargain posted:

Jamie's mansion

I'll admit that one was good, I enjoy a well timed inversion. Then they played it every two minutes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I just want him to open one of those ads with "Hey, dummy! I'm Mayhem!"

I sort of got my wish, they have one with Tina Fey and the word dummy is used.

Well played, ad men.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

WampaLord posted:

I sort of got my wish, they have one with Tina Fey and the word dummy is used.

Well played, ad men.

I saw this yesterday and thought of you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

AT&T's "Don't settle for just Okay" commercials really say a lot about them because in almost every situation what they're presenting is not in any way 'Just Okay' but rather comes across as pretty bad.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Halloween is over so it's time for nonstop Black Friday and holiday ads! In the meantime I found a few nostalgic Christmas ads I don't hate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oKY3pnNht0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoeKvqIRyIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCZxTxax1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MadGwgiRgAM

Taerkar posted:

AT&T's "Don't settle for just Okay" commercials really say a lot about them because in almost every situation what they're presenting is not in any way 'Just Okay' but rather comes across as pretty bad.

"Let's be honest - you're not going to have any choice but settling for 'just okay' because your only other options are DSL and satellite!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What company is going to take the award for “that loving ad” this Christmas season? Like, on the level of the KMart “the lights” one, Hyuandai’s Pomplamoose ad, or whatever the hell it was Apple was doing last year

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Always Lexus

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The December To Remember Sales Event is the center square on the bingo card of horrible holiday commercials.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

The December To Remember Sales Event is the center square on the bingo card of horrible holiday commercials.

Yeah, they suck but it’s been such a consistent level and type of suckitude for so long it doesn’t even register. A big factor is always “who has a song that gets absolutely stuck in your head that’s also infuriatingly bad”, with a good “what the hell is this even for?” Factor also making for a worst-of.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Disney already spamming "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

Also Will Arnett either needs to stop doing commercial voiceovers, or do all the voiceovers. No in-between.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sash! posted:

Always Lexus

I got even more annoyed at Lexus for trying (and succeeding) in making that loving song a thing that I correlate to Lexus when I rewatched home alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvuS1hVSj-Y

If it doesn't queue up, go to 4:20.
Edit: Also I'll just post my yearly "gently caress any company that uses troop deployments to sell stuff" post.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 5, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

AFewBricksShy posted:

I got even more annoyed at Lexus for trying (and succeeding) in making that loving song a thing that I correlate to Lexus when I rewatched home alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvuS1hVSj-Y

This isn't a Christmas thing, but Corona* commercials piss me off for a similar reason. They're trying to associate "The Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly with their brand, which annoys me because I don't want to think of a beer commercial when I hear that really cool song.

* I'm pretty sure it's Corona, but it could be Modelo?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
if i won the lottery i would plaster the earth with ads of kids throwing rocks at luxury vehicles set to some jaunty holiday music

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

This was the last winter sales luxury car commercial I can remember that was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIWXXCRswus

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Speaking of Charmin, they have these horrible song ads on Spotify that are just the worse.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This isn't a Christmas thing, but Corona* commercials piss me off for a similar reason. They're trying to associate "The Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly with their brand, which annoys me because I don't want to think of a beer commercial when I hear that really cool song.

* I'm pretty sure it's Corona, but it could be Modelo?

It is Modelo and all of those commercials are terrible.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
It could be worse:

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
There are only two ways that I will accept "The Ecstasy of Gold"

1. When watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
2. At a Metallica concert

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Isn't the Ecstasy of Gold in Kill Bill?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rockinricky posted:

There are only two ways that I will accept "The Ecstasy of Gold"

1. When watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
2. At a Metallica concert

Only posers go to Metallica concerts these days

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

Only posers go to Metallica concerts these days

their albums have sucked since the mid-90s but they're pretty consistently fine live, and usually have great openers

saw them back in 08 with The Sword and Down opening and it was badass

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Buick winning the awful holiday car commercial race this year.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Those annoying pistachio elephany commercials have a new voice actor. Why do they do that? Symbicort has recast their WATCH OUT LITTLE PIGGIES commercial like four times too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

packetmantis posted:

Those annoying pistachio elephany commercials have a new voice actor. Why do they do that? Symbicort has recast their WATCH OUT LITTLE PIGGIES commercial like four times too.

“Grandpa cannot breathe all the time”= A great thing to tell a kid. The old men keep dying and the young boys grow up. The entire piggy thang is such a GODDAMN GOOD AND HILARIOUS JOKE it must continue kinda like the bastard dead clones in the Empire flooring commercial.