Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
My Boomer parents to this day make snide comments about my salad choices when I go to their house for dinner. I like my salad with lettuce, some chopped peppers and no dressing. My parents make their salads with bacon bits, cheese and ranch dressing with no lettuce in sight. They think I'm the weird one.

On the topic of weird Boomer food habits, my parents burry all their food in salt. My best guess as to why is years of smoking has killed their sense of taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
What makes you both weird is that neither of you like spinach in your salads. smdh.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
One of my co-workers is 62, he salts his beer. He's a nice guy but some of his eating habits are awful. He also customizes a restaurant menu item to a point where its annoying or not what the chefs intentions were. Like once he ordered a French dip and held all of the vegetables and sauce so it was just meat cheese and bread. He then salted the jus.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
May as well just carry around some raw rock salt in your pocket to suck on all day at that point

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just installed several large salt licks around my home

Unrelated but does anyone have any advice on how to stop the local deer from breaking in and licking my salt

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

blatman posted:

I just installed several large salt licks around my home

Unrelated but does anyone have any advice on how to stop the local deer from breaking in and licking my salt

Just buy a "Thing that goes 'Doink!'" from your local Japanese shrine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfBf-ksVwPQ

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

um excuse me posted:

One of my co-workers is 62, he salts his beer.

My 90 year old father in law does this. He smoked for 70 years and is somehow still alive (but I love the guy)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I looked up why people do it and it's an extremely old habit of bringing out flavors of very mildly flavored beer back when everyone only sold lovely beer. He did it to a friggin Guinness, though.

Now I'm wondering if I have any archaic habits.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

T-turn on your monitor

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My mother almost had a breakdown in a freaking Panera because she was overwhelmed by the menu.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Boomers at my office must hate me. I just plastered an "OK BOOMER" as my desktop wallpaper and there is nothing they can do about it.

Geeeeeeet hosed boomers!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Catching up in the r/relationships thread and a goon posted a phrase that eminates powerful boomer energy, "scream sneeze." My boomer grandpa is a master of the art of scream sneezing and I hate it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My mother almost had a breakdown in a freaking Panera because she was overwhelmed by the menu.

I genuinely don't get why this is a thing. My parents used to give me so much poo poo for being a "picky eater" when it turns out I just didn't like bland pot roast and other Midwestern staples. The instant I became a teenager and could go to restaurants that served other things I had no problem eating a big variety of different culture's foods. I can't get my parents to try anything other than the same stuff they've been eating since they were children.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nazzadan posted:

Catching up in the r/relationships thread and a goon posted a phrase that eminates powerful boomer energy, "scream sneeze." My boomer grandpa is a master of the art of scream sneezing and I hate it.

My mother-in-law can pierce eardrums. It is insane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What's a scream sneeze? I know about really loud sneezes that go off without warning at usually the most quiet moment possible, because I do that just often enough to surprise everyone in the room and disorient myself.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What's a scream sneeze? I know about really loud sneezes that go off without warning at usually the most quiet moment possible, because I do that just often enough to surprise everyone in the room and disorient myself.

The person sneezing will do so by screaming as loudly as possible while also sneezing. Pro-scream-sneezers are capable of stringing together a dozen of them in a combo that makes each successive one louder and more powerful. It's goddamn annoying as gently caress, especially in a cubicle environment Bev, so a) shut the gently caress up and b) drag your rear end home.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Tales of the Boomer at the Grocery store

Me : Do you have your rewards card?
Boomer : No.
*rings through order, boomer pay*
Boomer : You didn't ask me for my rewards card.
Me : Yes I did, you said no.
Boomer : I thought you were asking me for a different card. You should have asked me for my rewards card. I want to see your supervisor!
Me : That's me. And I asked, you said no.
Boomer : Well, I want my points, ring in my order again!
Me : No i cannot do that, there are 5 people in line behind you and it wouldn't be fair to them.
Boomer : I want to talk to your superior!
Me : Okay, you can call tomorrow and she'll be here until 3.
Boomer : I don't want to call tomorrow, I want it NOW.
Me : She starts work at 7am and so is gone at 4, that wouldn't be fair to her.
Boomer : I don't care what's fair to her!

At that point I told her that was all i can do for her. The next customer said, and not trying to be quite "wow what a bitch".

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Wait, your mother is friends with David Brooks?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Boomers love to go to the service desk and want to price match another store, even if it’s not advertised as a service at all.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

um excuse me posted:

Now I'm wondering if I have any archaic habits.

*force-quits iPhone apps “to save battery”*

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not owned, I'm not owned!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Nazzadan posted:

"scream sneeze."

My boomer father, who is otherwise utterly non-boomer in habits, inclinations, and beliefs, sneezes so loudly I used to be able to hear him about 50m away from the house.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Edit: Looks like that was posted already, but I think it should just be reposted on every page for us to make fun of.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Unfortunately the scream sneeze is some sort of deep-brain ingrained learned behavior. My boomer father scream-sneezes exactly the same way as his boomer brother. I do it without thinking and if I make a conscious effort not to it doesn't feel like I fully sneezed.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

You've caught the boomer I'm afraid

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

pooch516 posted:

Edit: Looks like that was posted already, but I think it should just be reposted on every page for us to make fun of.

Someone copy paste it here so they don't get ad revenue for this nonsense

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Heath posted:

Someone copy paste it here so they don't get ad revenue for this nonsense

Tyler Cowen on Bloomberg posted:

OK Kids. This Boomer Has Had Enough.

Those who use ‘OK Boomer’ reveal more about themselves than those they use it against.

As a baby boomer myself, I have mixed feelings about the latest linguistic weapon of generational warfare being deployed against us. Am I OK with “OK Boomer,” the flippant yet passive retort from millennials or members of Generation Z whenever anyone of my generation decries the dangers of e-scooters or overreactions to climate change?

I realize that whether I’m OK isn’t really the question. Still, I would characterize my reaction as irritated, put off and maybe a bit flattered.

On the positive side, my generation is being treated as a force of nature, a generation so strong and influential that it must be addressed by name. In so many debates today, being insulted is seen as a mark of importance. (For what it is worth, I don’t go around talking about “millennials” or “Generation X” or “Generation Z” very much — this column excepted, I suppose.) Furthermore, as an economist I see the word “boom” as having a generally positive connotation.

On the negative side, I worry that those who deploy “OK Boomer” are putting themselves down and signaling their own impotence. I am not arguing for “[Expletive Deleted] Boomer,” even though it would have a vitality and rebellious spirit very much reminiscent of the 1960s or 1970s (which of course were quintessential boomer eras). But when I read or hear “OK Boomer,” I start to think there might be something special about baby boomers after all. We boomers may not be different in kind from other generations, but we do seem to inspire rhetorical creativity in our critics.

The closest earlier analog to “OK Boomer” is probably “OK, Chief,” a slightly sardonic response to a bossy or persistent request. So the phrase “OK Boomer” is itself an implicit and indeed somewhat passive admission as to who is really in charge. Members of Gen Z are subtly demonstrating that the clichés about them may have a grain of truth.

As I said I am a baby boomer, born in 1962, and I do a lot of public speaking about such topics as the absence of free lunches in this world. Yet I have never heard anyone say “OK Boomer” back to me. Instead I see the phrase on social media — another sign of the essentially passive nature of the response. (And wearing an “OK Boomer” hoodie or buying other such merchandise doesn’t seem like a major sign of rebellion, either.)

If there is any native medium for the “OK Boomer” meme, in fact, it is short TikTok videos, one of the more evanescent forms of social media. That the site seems plagued by Chinese censorship is just another state of affairs that boomers find more offensive than does Generation Z.

My biggest worry about “OK Boomer” is the generational stereotyping it embodies. It wouldn’t be acceptable to baldly criticize older people simply for being old. So why is it OK to use a circumlocution that does the same thing? “You old fogeys don’t have a clue” is perhaps a more direct translation of the phrase, and I am not sure that the ostensibly greater politeness of “OK Boomer” is a virtue. Would we think much of any boomer wearing a T-shirt proclaiming, “Not Impressed, Kid,” “Sure, Kiddo” or “Nice Try, Kid”?

I am greatly pleased that the post-boomer generations are by all appearances less racist and sexist than their predecessors. Still, prejudices are part of human nature. There is always a danger that they will re-emerge, redirected at other targets — defined by their age, their political views, their wealth, the size of their carbon footprint, or some other salient variable. Prejudice doesn’t become acceptable simply because it is not directed at someone’s race, ethnicity or gender.

I don’t wish to use this column to proclaim myself or to ask for anyone else’s “OK,” sarcastically or otherwise. I’ll simply note in closing that the growing age segregation of American society is a great tragedy and a foregone opportunity. If younger generations are looking for yet another good cause, that would be a very good one to embrace.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Don't dish generational insults if you can't loving take them, Boomer.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Dameius posted:

quote:

Would we think much of any boomer wearing a T-shirt proclaiming, “Not Impressed, Kid,” “Sure, Kiddo” or “Nice Try, Kid”?

No, because we're not thin-skinned narcissists who think their opinion matters. Besides, "Not impressed" and "sure, kiddo" is basically the entire narrative boomers have put on us since the second we left the womb, so it's hard to care.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

No, because we're not thin-skinned narcissists who think their opinion matters. Besides, "Not impressed" and "sure, kiddo" is basically the entire narrative boomers have put on us since the second we left the womb, so it's hard to care.
[/quote]

I'm 35. If I'm not an adult the Helicopter Generation has only themselves to blame.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

Would we think much of any boomer wearing a T-shirt proclaiming, “Not Impressed, Kid,” “Sure, Kiddo” or “Nice Try, Kid”?

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Facebook Stores which have a healthy line in shirts and hoodies with passive-aggressive autogenerated slogans and skull motifs that bear this exact sentiment. Probably this exact phrase, if you looked long enough.

Boomers like them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Framboise posted:

It would be in the same category as

STAY BACK
This Man is a FORKLIFT OPERATOR
RULES:
1) If you see him running, FOLLOW
2) If he looks pissed, don't even try it
3) Stay OUT of his man cave

OR ELSE!!

(an eagle carrying an American flag soars over a skull with the Dodge logo)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Heath posted:

It would be in the same category as

STAY BACK
This Man is a FORKLIFT OPERATOR
RULES:
1) If you see him running, FOLLOW
2) If he looks pissed, don't even try it
3) Stay OUT of his man cave

OR ELSE!!

(an eagle carrying an American flag soars over a skull with the Dodge logo)

Boomer adjacent, but I've always felt that having a 'man cave' is a tacit admission that you have no voice in the appearance of the rest of your house.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Boomer adjacent, but I've always felt that having a 'man cave' is a tacit admission that you have no voice in the appearance of the rest of your house.

have you seen the garbage that gets marketed as for "man caves"

they shouldn't

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

they shouldn't

Touché

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dameius posted:

quote:

I am not arguing for “[Expletive Deleted] Boomer,” even though it would have a vitality and rebellious spirit very much reminiscent of the 1960s or 1970s (which of course were quintessential boomer eras).
poo poo Boomer

Piss Boomer

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gonna laugh in a few years when Millennials end up canceling Social Security and Medicare because gently caress Boomers.

Then after they all die off, we start up Universal Basic Income and Medicare-for-All.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This is making the rounds on Facebook

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

they shouldn't

Nothing wrong with comfy sofas and big ole teevees for the sportsball.

I can do without the dad rock posters, guitar collections that are purely for show, and lovely beer signs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Bonzo posted:

This is making the rounds on Facebook

Stuff like this is so stupid, just like the boomers getting mad at us Millenials for the participation trophies. The kids aren't making these decisions, the adults are!