Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Freddles posted:

The complaint is not that the combat is easy. The complaint is that the combat is boring. The perks are boring. The enemies are boring. The gunplay is boring. Making the enemies slightly harder to kill doesn't improve things by any significant margin, it just stretches the boringness out further.

Maybe I'll try Disco Elysium. W h e n i t c o m e s o u t o n P S 4.

I hear you, I think it does make it slightly better just because something being challenging is automatically better than it being super easy. But I agree the combat is pretty weak in that game, a lot of things are pretty weak

lurker2006 posted:

At this point I immediately lose enthusiasm for a game when it overtly presents itself as being quirky and/or whimsical, especially if it's alt-history.

It's not alt-history, it takes place in a fictional city/country/world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

My unpopular opinion is that Unity games suck and there hypothetically exists a piece of software that outputs almost the exact same game but it runs on potato computers too. Whenever I play a Unity game on my Linux box it lags the hell out of it (despite it being a recent-ish computer) for even simple loving things, and the cursor movement is always so ridiculously sensitive because nobody bothers to tweak that kind of thing for Linux computers, which generally have a faster cursor than Windows ones by default. There _has_ to be a better way for it to automatically handle resources.

If I had the willpower and work ethic of Terry Davis I'd go and write a replacement but Ugh too much effort.

Dusk is good but there's absolutely no reason why it should freeze for 2 seconds every 8 minutes. Especially since I disabled the bloom and trilinear filtering. And there's absolutely no reason why it's multiplayer should cause my computer to literally freeze for half an hour and make me use the sysreq keys just to get back control of the drat thing.

Like the look of it and the low-poly style should lend itself to being really efficient but it's _not_ and it just bums me out a Lot that it's so loving resource-heavy. That Unity is the go-to for most game developers these days is good for, you know, creative reasons, but I wish the Unity devs had put more work into ensuring the output binary had/has better/more efficient resource usage. Of course I guess that doesn't pay, so like, hash tag capitalism or whatever.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

alexandriao posted:

Whenever I play a Unity game on my Linux box it lags the hell out of it (despite it being a recent-ish computer) for even simple loving things, and the cursor movement is always so ridiculously sensitive because nobody bothers to tweak that kind of thing for Linux computers, which generally have a faster cursor than Windows ones by default. There _has_ to be a better way for it to automatically handle resources.

lol at using linux on the desktop just lol

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

In 2020 Bernie becomes president and abolishes Apple and Microsoft and mandates that everyone use the people's operating system. It's finally the year of the Linux desktop.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

alexandriao posted:

My unpopular opinion is that Unity games suck

It doesn't really suck, it's just accessible so people who don't know how to make proper optimization are able to make games.
(there are problems with its performance though being such a general purpose engine, but you can make really smooth games on it if you do it right).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fridge corn posted:

Visually speaking it's just completely uninteresting to look at. Massive expanses of solid colours is just boring. What is the point of the red circle around the player character? Seems pointless and distracting. What even is the player character, some kind of dog? I can't even tell. You mentioned SD3 as an inspiration and while I haven't played a lot of that game I played a lot of Secret of Mana and that is an absolutely gorgeous game. Yours is not

yeah i still haven't implemented minor tiles, i have like dirt/road tiles and some greenery etc. but making sure my angles and stair activation works properly is more important atm

as for the circle, it's to make the player character more visible with a static beacon, especially in multiplayer. the player character is, well that's a dog option but you can be various things

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 9, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I haven't really liked any of the isometric CRPGs I've played which includes Baldur's Gate, Divinity: Original Sin, etc

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I hated Diablo 3, it may be the most boring game I've ever played.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
diablo 3 was great as a mindless game to play on the console when youre drunk and high and the fact that blizzard never let me use that control scheme on the pc was criminal

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

site posted:

diablo 3 was great as a mindless game to play on the console when youre drunk and high and the fact that blizzard never let me use that control scheme on the pc was criminal

I agree, the console version of diablo is a really great game to smoke weed and play with your friends online, the pc version just seems like it has a less fun vibe somehow and i think i have narrowed it down to the dodge roll.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ive finally beaten RE7 and drat it was really good, two thoughts though

1) wtf I don’t get go kill lucas, are you making GBS threads me. is there a dlc to shoot lucas in the loving head until he dies because i will actually pay for that, bravo capcom. gently caress lucas.

2) i am genuinely astounded at how many more people get ending 1 than ending 2, at least based on trophy data. it’s like five to one, jesus. gosh, do i try to save your ex wife who lied to you for years, caused all of this poo poo, and cut your loving hand off or the only person who has resisted the corruption, helped you 100% of the time, and stapled your drat hand back on? i did not think it was that tough of a choice but drat I’m in a superminority apparently

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

also the videotape sidequest format is brilliant but the game loads like total dogshit on a base ps4 which only actually becomes an issue when you go into the videos

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Master-D did nothing wrong.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Caesar Saladin posted:

I agree, the console version of diablo is a really great game to smoke weed and play with your friends online, the pc version just seems like it has a less fun vibe somehow and i think i have narrowed it down to the dodge roll.

It makes a huge difference, especially considering you're hard limited to 6 ability slots. You don't want to waste one on just a movement ability.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Away all Goats posted:

It makes a huge difference, especially considering you're hard limited to 6 ability slots. You don't want to waste one on just a movement ability.

coming from the og ps3 version i dont eevn know what youre referring to because i have dodge abilites on triangle on every class i can think of

Barudak
May 7, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

1) wtf I don’t get go kill lucas, are you making GBS threads me. is there a dlc to shoot lucas in the loving head until he dies because i will actually pay for that, bravo capcom. gently caress lucas.

2) i am genuinely astounded at how many more people get ending 1 than ending 2, at least based on trophy data. it’s like five to one, jesus. gosh, do i try to save your ex wife who lied to you for years, caused all of this poo poo, and cut your loving hand off or the only person who has resisted the corruption, helped you 100% of the time, and stapled your drat hand back on? i did not think it was that tough of a choice but drat I’m in a superminority apparently

To your second point, check out the relationships thread in this forum for the answer why.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

abigserve posted:

lol at using linux on the desktop just lol

The resource problems happen on windows too. I dunno why I would bother booting to windows though because whenever I've tried to use it it feels like using stone tools. Even with the linux subsystem it feels like an operating system stuck in the 90s, with the lovely ads that are displayed and all the driver problems. It's literally got to a point where linux a lot of the time "just works" and windows doesn't and that's loving hilarious.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

as someone who has both a windows and linux machine running simultaneously like 99% of the time that’s a big “lol” from me there

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

There's a free DLC for closure on Lucas as well as a paid one involving him.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

alexandriao posted:

The resource problems happen on windows too. I dunno why I would bother booting to windows though because whenever I've tried to use it it feels like using stone tools. Even with the linux subsystem it feels like an operating system stuck in the 90s, with the lovely ads that are displayed and all the driver problems. It's literally got to a point where linux a lot of the time "just works" and windows doesn't and that's loving hilarious.

sorry about your hosed up windows install

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ChazTurbo posted:

There's a free DLC for closure on Lucas as well as a paid one involving him.

someone mentioned the free one in one of the worse video game threads and I have it downloaded and im kind of torn: on the one hand I really enjoyed RE7 and thought it was a hell of a good experience in a way I haven’t seen in a while in games....but by that same token beating it was hella cathartic and it felt like a cohesive unit that im not entirely sure I want to dilute with dlc

I also haven’t beaten any other RE games and my most played ones are REMake as Jill and RE4 so I have basically zero attachment to Captain Cameo who shows up at the end

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

someone mentioned the free one in one of the worse video game threads and I have it downloaded and im kind of torn: on the one hand I really enjoyed RE7 and thought it was a hell of a good experience in a way I haven’t seen in a while in games....but by that same token beating it was hella cathartic and it felt like a cohesive unit that im not entirely sure I want to dilute with dlc

I also haven’t beaten any other RE games and my most played ones are REMake as Jill and RE4 so I have basically zero attachment to Captain Cameo who shows up at the end

I liked it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

OhFunny posted:

I haven't really liked any of the isometric CRPGs I've played which includes Baldur's Gate, Divinity: Original Sin, etc

I really don't like that genre although I don't know why, I like other isometric games but not the games you listed. Something about it feels, i dunno, boring. Characters have less personality if you view them from that angle maybe.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

alexandriao posted:

You can get rid of the ads in windows easy enough though, just turn off everything you can possibly turn off, use powershell to get rid of all of the apps, do the .exe rename trick to kill cortana and you've got a pretty sweet OS

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

One of the DLCs has you playing as an even more crazy uncle of the Bakers and your sole method of fighting is beating the poo poo out of everything with your bare hands.

It's good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

as impressively dense as the new york bank level of Hitman 2 is, it still feels kind of like half a level due to how small it is. compared to every other level in the modern series it is rinkydink as hell. it’s the only level i got 100% area discovery done my first time through the mission and i wasn’t even trying. i get that there’s only so much real estate you can conceivably give to a bank, even a huge one, but give it a little embellishment like a rooftop garden and maybe an adjoining penthouse or something to spice it up a little, idk

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

as impressively dense as the new york bank level of Hitman 2 is, it still feels kind of like half a level due to how small it is. compared to every other level in the modern series it is rinkydink as hell. it’s the only level i got 100% area discovery done my first time through the mission and i wasn’t even trying. i get that there’s only so much real estate you can conceivably give to a bank, even a huge one, but give it a little embellishment like a rooftop garden and maybe an adjoining penthouse or something to spice it up a little, idk

it definitely feels a little unfinished, it's like a mini level.

the next dlc level, the resort, is way better and may be one of the better levels of the franchise.

the season pass for hitman 2 was pretty lovely value -- but I also love what they did with hitman/hitman 2 so I don't feel bad buying it at all. I love what they've done with it and I really don't want to go back to an absolution style, but these two have sold so poorly :cry:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think it's okay for hitman to have some small levels, they don't all have to be huge settings

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Character levels should never, ever be disparate between characters in party-based RPGs. If one character is level 30, all characters in the party should also be level 30 even if they weren't there when you got the exp that leveled you up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jokes posted:

Character levels should never, ever be disparate between characters in party-based RPGs. If one character is level 30, all characters in the party should also be level 30 even if they weren't there when you got the exp that leveled you up.

This also applies to tabletop games that got the idea in the first place.

Honestly, a lot of features of RPGs are basically redundant and have been since before I was born.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I think it's okay for hitman to have some small levels, they don't all have to be huge settings

i would agree except it’s the first dlc level and it kind of sucks in that context

it’s not just small, there is less to do there mission-story and challenge-wise too

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

jokes posted:

I don't play JRPS much at all, but I'll never forget when they made Kimari Ronzo's single mandatory fight be like 40 hours into FFX. gently caress that blue non-talking piece of poo poo and the softlock that fight put me in.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

alexandriao posted:

Perhaps you should upgrade your 4 GB of RAM and buy a discreet video card and maybe a processor from this century. Running Linux from Bash without X really doesn't push your machine much.

Serious answer though: Consoles are relatively pain free, though they do charge for online play. The Playstation 4 is running a fork of FreeBSD, if that's important to you.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 11, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

I don't play JRPS much at all, but I'll never forget when they made Kimari Ronzo's single mandatory fight be like 40 hours into FFX. gently caress that blue non-talking piece of poo poo and the softlock that fight put me in.

The fight scales to your level, and if anything, is easier at low level.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I finally watched Scarface for the first time and realized that Dan and Sam Houser cannot write for poo poo. Every Grand Theft Auto plot is a clunky mess compared to actual gangster movies written by actual screenwriters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ya think? Literally every GTA game is bits and pieces stolen from a gangster movie marathon.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

I finally watched Scarface for the first time and realized that Dan and Sam Houser cannot write for poo poo. Every Grand Theft Auto plot is a clunky mess compared to actual gangster movies written by actual screenwriters.

I think the shorter plots where you deal with individual characters are fun and good, but the overarching plots that cover the whole game are never very gracefully done.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Judgement is better than any Yakuza game

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That Fist of the North Star spin off from two years ago is the best Yakuza. Even with the utterly shite driving parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Lodin posted:

That Fist of the North Star spin off from two years ago is the best Yakuza. Even with the utterly shite driving parts.

I've not heard of that one but it sounds worth checking out