Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have a set of holesaws from Milwaukee called THE HOLEDOZER and I can't help but think it is someone's username on Grindr.

E: They are even BI-metal

lol they also sell a "HOLE HAWG"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BraveUlysses posted:

lol they also sell a "HOLE HAWG"

I have an OG one from like the 90s, and it absolutely fucks. Any hole, any size, and material, and it'll just gently caress it alllllll up. It'll also gently caress you right up if you don't brace it like it tells you to. It'll put a 4" hole in a glue lam beam if you need it to, it doesn't give two shits.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I have an OG one from like the 90s, and it absolutely fucks. Any hole, any size, and material, and it'll just gently caress it alllllll up. It'll also gently caress you right up if you don't brace it like it tells you to. It'll put a 4" hole in a glue lam beam if you need it to, it doesn't give two shits.

Yep. Borrowed one from a buddy when I had a tree splitting down the middle during a wind storm. It ate a 3/4" hole right the hell through the tree like it was nothing (so I could install allthread, fender washers and bolts to cinch it back together).

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Milwaukee should rename it to the "Wrist Wrecker", because that is exactly what will happen if it binds up in the wood.

You really have to be careful with those torque-y drills if you're using them on a ladder (e.g. hole in soffit). It'll happily twist you right off your ladder, and a sprained wrist will be the least of your concerns.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

socketwrencher posted:

I've beat the hell out of this one for a few years and it's held up great, I like being able to put an impact driver in one of the pockets because I've never gotten used to hanging a driver by a hook on a belt:

https://www.amazon.com/Style-Craft-98-43417-Pocket-Pro-Framers/dp/B003N9ZB2C?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

stealie72 posted:

I'm a bit late to toolbelt chat, but as the owner of a dad bod, and being lazy about walking back and forth and going up and down ladders, I built a framers rig similar to this one and it's awesome. https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...1EaAltWEALw_wcB

The inner and outer belt is crucial for comfort and the suspenders mean I can carry a ton of weight without exposing my rear end crack since a lot of the weight is on my shoulders instead of just gripping around my waist.

Aw man these both look awesome. I love the leather look, but I think suspenders may be needed for my own dad bod...

e: Also those Duluth pants look pretty nice also. Are they worth the $80?

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 7, 2019

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I work mainly in duluth things when turning wrenches. The fire hose pants are the correct answer for pants, but don't sleep on the overalls. Those are my everyday wear for putting together poo poo and it works well with any sort of harnessing or carrier.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Aw man these both look awesome. I love the leather look, but I think suspenders may be needed for my own dad bod...

Yeah that Estwing rig looks great, maybe I'll give it a go too.

Duluth is better but unless you need that level of ruggedness basic Carhartts may work:

https://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Mens-Canvas-Dungaree-Khaki/dp/B000IBH874?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

B-Nasty posted:

Milwaukee should rename it to the "Wrist Wrecker", because that is exactly what will happen if it binds up in the wood.

You really have to be careful with those torque-y drills if you're using them on a ladder (e.g. hole in soffit). It'll happily twist you right off your ladder, and a sprained wrist will be the least of your concerns.

Or in the case of the Makita I borrowed, jam the trigger down and burn out the motor.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

I wore through my first and only pair way too fast working to buy a second, they didnt seem to be very heavy duty

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

socketwrencher posted:

Yeah that Estwing rig looks great, maybe I'll give it a go too.

Duluth is better but unless you need that level of ruggedness basic Carhartts may work:

https://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Mens-Canvas-Dungaree-Khaki/dp/B000IBH874?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I have one pair of Duluth pants I got as a gift, and while they're real nice and feel absolutely bombproof, they're not twice as nice as nearly-durable $40 Carhartt duck canvas pants. The crotch gusset, knee pad inserts, and extra wide back belt loop on the Duluths are nice, but I never find myself specifically missing those. Both the Duluth and Carhartt have lasted two years so far, so I can't say which one will ultimately outlast the other. Neither look too bad, aside from the stains on the carhartts where I got muriatic acid splashed on me.

Duluth does have extra long t-shirts that always stay tucked in no matter how much I bend, and it sounds pretty silly, but I look forward to wearing those two shirts. I know other places have them, but again, gift.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I don't think so, but Carhartt's are definitely worth $40. It's been quite a while and maybe things have changed, but the firehose pants were not nearly as comfortable to me as carhartt dungarees. I live in a hot place and the thicker material didn't breathe as well as my trusty carhartt duck and the fit seemed tighter/more constricting? I am not at all a large person so I was pretty surprised by that, but I may not have ordered a relaxed fit comparable to the dungaree fit.

I spend so much of my time in carhartt pants and my red wing boots that they are by far the most comfortable things I own. I think my body molded itself to them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just bought nearly £300 worth of tool bags so I can break up all my poo poo into kits. Hopefully worth the outlay.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Re: Snowblower chat

Found a Troy Bill that is a couple years old and barely used, complete with heated grips, for very cheap. Even getting it delivered so I don’t have to mess with loading it. Naturally since I just bought this it will probably not snow for weeks.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't think so, but Carhartt's are definitely worth $40. It's been quite a while and maybe things have changed, but the firehose pants were not nearly as comfortable to me as carhartt dungarees. I live in a hot place and the thicker material didn't breathe as well as my trusty carhartt duck and the fit seemed tighter/more constricting? I am not at all a large person so I was pretty surprised by that, but I may not have ordered a relaxed fit comparable to the dungaree fit.

I spend so much of my time in carhartt pants and my red wing boots that they are by far the most comfortable things I own. I think my body molded itself to them.

I've been wearing Carhartt B136's in Dark Brown for over a decade. Nothing else lasts as long, wears as well, or is as comfortable. When I worked on boats, they'd last 3-4 months of salt, hydraulic fluid, and grease exposure. Now they last about 8 months of daily wear. Eventually, I wear through the right knee, the coin pocket, and both side pockets. The bottoms get shredded by my boots. Duluths are nice, but they lasted the same amount of time and cost twice as much. $50 Carhartts all day long. I buy them 6 at a time.

I run the double-fronts year-round, but I'm used to the heat and weight. I also only wear long-sleeve work shirts over merino undershirts. Yes, I'm weird.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Yea those double fronts are really comfortable, I wear them almost all year unless I have to use their insulated bibs which I really love. I just want to start a hustle where someone else buys me carhartts or jeans and I wear them for them and sell them back double as distressed in a few weeks. You want paint and holes on your pants? Can do!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea those double fronts are really comfortable, I wear them almost all year unless I have to use their insulated bibs which I really love. I just want to start a hustle where someone else buys me carhartts or jeans and I wear them for them and sell them back double as distressed in a few weeks. You want paint and holes on your pants? Can do!

I had someone stop me in Brooklyn, of all places, and ask where I got my pants. They were on their last legs, big worn cat's whiskers, pockets worn, bottom hem frayed, right knee through one layer and halfway through the second...

"I bought 'em on Amazon, brand new"

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

sharkytm posted:

I had someone stop me in Brooklyn, of all places, and ask where I got my pants. They were on their last legs, big worn cat's whiskers, pockets worn, bottom hem frayed, right knee through one layer and halfway through the second...

"I bought 'em on Amazon, brand new"

ahhhahaha ok my idea is brilliant I'm going to be so rich. Yes sir, this is the bathroom collection.. you won't find pants with redguard on them like this anywhere else. Do be aware that the epoxy on them will scratch your washing machine so you'll never want to wash these, of course. For an extra $50 we can cut a hole through the pocket into the leg where a blade would have gone through, both legs is $200. The rust patina on the barn collection has been developed over the last century and the horse poo poo is 100% organic!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Once upon a time, a pair of my pretty new carhartt’s got in the pile of my dad’s dress shirts to go to the cleaners. As an old southern gentleman, he gets everything pressed with extra heavy starch, and my carhartts also got pressed with extra heavy starch and basically would stand up on their own when they came back.

It’s the left knee and the bottom of the right pocket where I clip my tape measure that always go first on mine. They make short sleeve button up shirts that are light cotton woven fabric that I like too. They’re cooler than a t-shirt and look a little nicer too. Some have breast pockets with a flap so 36 screws and 3 pencils don’t fall out of my pocket every time I bend over and they don’t get as full of wood chips.

They have also given me great faith in one kind of wood glue I use because it NEVER comes off even after 50 times through the wash.
YLLS: DIY Edition

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Why did the tools thread just get me to buy pants. That's $50 I could of spent on tools and worked in my boxers like a normal person.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
tool deals are hitting now, here's HDs deals on cordless power tools

https://toolguyd.com/home-depot-free-bonus-cordless-power-tools-holiday-deals-2019/

acme tools and international tool have some good deals for free batteries with certain M18 or M12 purchases.

IT has M18 brushless circular saw or brushless supersawzall for 170 with a free 8AH battery (i bought the SS to get the free battery and i'm gonna sell it on CL)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Why did the tools thread just get me to buy pants. That's $50 I could of spent on tools and worked in my boxers like a normal person.

DIY: Tools: Just Buy Pants

Mods?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

The Duluths definitely seem cut more appropriately for fat dudes like me. I like the ones with a little stretch to 'em, and I've got one pair with the hidden elastic in the waist. My Carhartts, however, have a much lower rise. I can't hike them up to a comfortable place without them going right up my butt.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Wait, so people are buying used carhartts now? poo poo, I got two pairs that were used for drilling in the winter and shop work. They're thread bare, along the thighs, a bit at the knees, and definitely in the cuffs. They got grease stains and burn marks at the bottom cuffs where I've set them on fire from welding.

I was just going to throw them away. Maybe I should put them up on Kijiji....

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I already have the M12 drill and impact driver with a couple batteries. Does anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other on the Milwaukee M18 Sawzill (brushed) with the two battery starter kit for $199, or the M12 Sawzill with one batter for $179?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I have the m12 fuel sawzall. It's good, but it depends what your use case is.

For really heavy or long cuts, the m18 or even the corded model is better.

I use mine to cut small diameter pvc, conduit, maybe weird shaped holes in plywood or 2x4s, so nothing super strenuous.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

:getin:

Just needs a new pair of skid shoes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pretty sure that's the exact snowblower I have. Does it have the 120v electric start?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

Pretty sure that's the exact snowblower I have. Does it have the 120v electric start?

Indeed. Troy Bilt 28”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Indeed. Troy Bilt 28”

Woah....it is a Troy Bilt. Seriously, I swear it's an exact replica of my Craftsman with different stickers.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

wesleywillis posted:

Wait, so people are buying used carhartts now? poo poo, I got two pairs that were used for drilling in the winter and shop work. They're thread bare, along the thighs, a bit at the knees, and definitely in the cuffs. They got grease stains and burn marks at the bottom cuffs where I've set them on fire from welding.

I was just going to throw them away. Maybe I should put them up on Kijiji....

Authentic vintage workwear pants streetwear $120

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Guaranteed genuine North Dakota oilfield use, with photo of the garment in use and certificate of authenticity.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Motronic posted:

Woah....it is a Troy Bilt. Seriously, I swear it's an exact replica of my Craftsman with different stickers.

Ha, I have the Craftsman version as well. Been a great machine for like 8 years or so now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

taqueso posted:

Guaranteed genuine North Dakota oilfield use, with photo of the garment in use and certificate of authenticity.

Wring the sweat out into bottles and sell it on instagram.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Jaded Burnout posted:

Wring the sweat out into bottles and sell it on instagram.

It worked for the gladiators.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pershing posted:

It worked for the gladiators.

Fun fact: the thumbs up / thumbs down of the roman emperors in the colosseum was inspired by likes and dislikes on instagram.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

:getin:

Just needs a new pair of skid shoes.
You didnt happen to get that delivered by a guy with a uhaul trailer and a maroon truck did you...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Ha, I have the Craftsman version as well. Been a great machine for like 8 years or so now.

Okay, so it really is the same thing. Probably a slightly different year/production, but all the major stuff is the same.

I agree, it's been a good machine. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now. It starts easy and is surprisingly quiet. Adequate power for the job as a single stage.

E: oh yeah, I guess it's time to service it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

stealie72 posted:

You didnt happen to get that delivered by a guy with a uhaul trailer and a maroon truck did you...

:staredog:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Well, if you did, you may own my neighbor's snowblower. Saw someone loading it up this morning and wondered. East of Cleveland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

stealie72 posted:

Well, if you did, you may own my neighbor's snowblower. Saw someone loading it up this morning and wondered. East of Cleveland?

Ok, so be honest, do you talk to this neighbour? Does he take care of his poo poo? is that a good snow blower, or does it just get left out to rot?