Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It won't be more 'balanced' it'll just gravitate toward a new meta set of like 10 pokemon you pick from. All this has happened before and all this will happen again.

there's always gonna be a top level, yea, but tbh I'm just ok with anything that changes the top level from the exact same mons with maybe one or two rotating slots and the typical legendary allowance. Like, yea I have some faves that didn't make the cut, I don't think everyone upset about it is some shitter or whatever, but I've just gotten to not being able to give a poo poo about the dexit and just kinda looking forward to some new pokemon experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The game will be piss easy either way. It is a game for actual babies.

You will probably also be over leveled.

Gen 6/7 were legit challenging with no EXP Share. I actually lost during several major fights and had to think about what the hell I was doing.

...Set mode is still in the game, right??

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
i don't care that much about the exp share thing, but the reasoning behind it I don't understand.

if it's a thing supposed to encourage people to switch around their teams frequently and use a wider variety of pokes, then make Rare Candies more easily available. Have a Rare Candy berry tree

if it's a concern with kids losing their interest if they come across a hard fight, then the day has finally come where i've grown out of touch with the youth and turned into a "back in my day" grandpa, cause gym leaders like Lt. Surge and Whitney are the most memorable parts of their respective games whereas Erika or the Johto ice gym are forgettable. And the games have gotten progressively easier as time went on with gym leaders, rivals, elite four and even champions not having a full roster. The only notable exception might have been Ultra Necrozma, and only if you were not using every resource available to you, cause Rotom powers make that fight infinitely easier.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Gen 6/7 were legit challenging with no EXP Share. I actually lost during several major fights and had to think about what the hell I was doing.

...Set mode is still in the game, right??

the first time i played through Moon blind i turned off exp share and put on set mode and had a great time. it wasn't a nuzlocke and there weren't any other challenge or meta rules in place, it was all stuff within the game. i fought the elite four with my highest level mon around 44 (10 levels below the lowest level E4) when i stepped in and as a result had to use a lot more status moves, set-up moves, etc.

i have no idea if this is the best way to play or whatever but it was cool for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

i don't care that much about the exp share thing, but the reasoning behind it I don't understand.

if it's a thing supposed to encourage people to switch around their teams frequently and used a wider variety of pokes, then make Rare Candies more easily available. Have a Rare Candy berry tree

if it's a concern with kids losing their interest if they come across a hard fight, then the day has finally come where i've grown out of touch with the youth and turned into a "back in my day" grandpa, cause gym leaders like Lt. Surge and Whitney are the most memorable parts of their respective games whereas Erika or the Johto ice gym are forgettable. And the games have gotten progressively easier as time went on with gym leaders, rivals, elite four and even champions not having a full roster. The only notable exception might have been Ultra Necrozma, and only if you were not using every resource available to you, cause Rotom powers make that fight infinitely easier.

They probably would prefer to balance about EXP share being a thing than having to balance around both.

Pokemon is not going to be hard, ever, because by necessity it has to be designed for a 8 year old who just spams one move over and over to reasonably have a chance of finishing. It is a game designed for young children with the intent that Genuine Challenge comes from competitive play against other players, not PvE.

You can argue that they should include bonus optional difficulty modes for people who want it to be challenging but considering the insane work schedules they seem to be under to push stuff out as fast as possible that's probably not particularly easy to do, especially on the first game on a new console.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

SirSamVimes posted:

Wait, people dislike Toucannon?

I don’t! I loved his grumpy face and laser beak and I used one to get through the main game. But there are people who dislike it for being basically just a toucan. They didn’t really put much of a spin on it, design-wise.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Toucannon is the best early-game bird since Staraptor.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Countblanc posted:

the first time i played through Moon blind i turned off exp share and put on set mode and had a great time. it wasn't a nuzlocke and there weren't any other challenge or meta rules in place, it was all stuff within the game. i fought the elite four with my highest level mon around 44 (10 levels below the lowest level E4) when i stepped in and as a result had to use a lot more status moves, set-up moves, etc.

i have no idea if this is the best way to play or whatever but it was cool for me.

Hell yeah :hf: SM's E4 loving dunked me really hard. Honestly I really think Gen 6/7 were balanced around not using EXP share, with on being an easy mode; all the enemy trainer levels sync up perfectly to what the older games would have been like when you have it turned off.
The series is legit challenging and really fun if you ignore all the OP stuff they give you like free Megas and Z-Moves and the EXP Share and stuff. I can't wait to flagrantly ignore Dynamaxing too. I guess if things are still undertuned difficulty-wise I'll just have to run a massive roster to bring the average EXP levels down.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 10, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They probably would prefer to balance about EXP share being a thing than having to balance around both.

You literally don’t have to balance around it though! If someone turns it off they’re doing it knowing what they’re getting into.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Honestly I really don't get the "Pokémon is for kids" thing, with the Exp. Share off XY to a lesser extent, but especially SM are actually pretty difficult, and even before those I went back and played some older games like Platinum and Emerald last year and had a fair bit of trouble at some parts. Granted I did just use the mons I liked and never grinded off wild mons, only beating all the trainers because hahaha gently caress going through Hoenn without perma repels, but still.

I did also ignore Megas and Z-Moves but those are so rarely used by trainers anyway they just feel like appropriate bosses when they do pop up since I can't just abuse them :v:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

lezard_valeth posted:

Johto's ice gym isn't forgettable if you don't realize it's supposed to be the seventh gym. Last playthrough I thought it was fifth, and it was surprisingly difficult. (though, admittedly, johto as a whole is forgettable due to the terrible level curve)

ImpAtom posted:

Pokemon is not going to be hard, ever, because by necessity it has to be designed for a 8 year old who just spams one move over and over to reasonably have a chance of finishing. It is a game designed for young children with the intent that Genuine Challenge comes from competitive play against other players, not PvE.

You can argue that they should include bonus optional difficulty modes for people who want it to be challenging but considering the insane work schedules they seem to be under to push stuff out as fast as possible that's probably not particularly easy to do, especially on the first game on a new console.
they literally could just balance it around assuming you leave it on and let people turn it off if they want harder fights
as for difficulty options: they already made them for BW2, and the changes boiled down to "let standard trainers use the higher AI settings we normally reserve for bosses, add an extra pokemon to the gym leaders, and use an algorithm to bump up the enemy trainer levels a little bit." That's a super basic difficulty adjustment, and yet it made the game more fun and interesting. I was able to use poo poo like Haxorus and Excadrill without steamrolling the game, it was great.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Polderjoch posted:

Honestly I really don't get the "Pokémon is for kids" thing

You play as a kid in the games and the main characters are kids and there are pokemon cereals and happy meals

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

You literally don’t have to balance around it though! If someone turns it off they’re doing it knowing what they’re getting into.

This argument unfortunately doesn't hold as much weight when you're talking about a game designed for young children, who are both impatient and easily misunderstand things. A lot of the problems with Pokemon stem from it hanging on to a bunch of weird legacy mechanics or erring on the side of caution with making sure children don't lock themselves into unfun situations by mistake. A lot of adults do play Pokemon games but it's generally with the understanding it's a franchise for kids.

Polderjoch posted:

Honestly I really don't get the "Pokémon is for kids" thing, with the Exp. Share off XY to a lesser extent, but especially SM are actually pretty difficult, and even before those I went back and played some older games like Platinum and Emerald last year and had a fair bit of trouble at some parts. Granted I did just use the mons I liked and never grinded off wild mons, only beating all the trainers because hahaha gently caress going through Hoenn without perma repels, but still.

I did also ignore Megas and Z-Moves but those are so rarely used by trainers anyway they just feel like appropriate bosses when they do pop up since I can't just abuse them :v:

"Pokemon is very difficult if I intentionally handicap myself" doesn't prevent it also from being for kids. Intentional handicaps are a way people try to make games they've mastered more interesting. The Pokemon franchise is and always has been absurdly easy barring a few optional challenge areas. This is because it is designed with the core idea being "the story is just for fun and to collect stuff so that you can compete with other people." Pokemon has issues with being competitive but that's more because GF isn't the best as designing for competitive and also had almost a thousand Pokemon so any attempt at balancing is a fool's errand. (For the record I doubt 400 will be any better balanced but we'll see.)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Countblanc posted:

i had a similar experience with running a Ghost team in Moon when it first came out. There were quite a few fights (i can't remember who) that gave me trouble, and it certainly forced me to do more than just bulldoze through the game. I want to try running a rock/steel/fire team in Sword.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I feel like I don't have a terribly great amount to contribute, but after idly browsing to the Pokemon reddit I was genuinely taken aback by the scale of the meltdown. We go on about forums meltdowns and reddit being reddit and whatnot, but this is the largest-scale community meltdown in the video game realm I've seen in quite a few years. Meanwhile I'm just curious about the games and want to try them because a lot of the QoL changes look neat and seem like they'll make multiplayer a lot more convenient :shobon:

That said, if the dex leaks are true, it baffles me how in the world Lillipup and Snubbull didn't make the cut. They are literally the most British pokemon ever designed and there was even tons of room for a third stage of Snubbull.

ImpAtom posted:

This argument unfortunately doesn't hold as much weight when you're talking about a game designed for young children, who are both impatient and easily misunderstand things. A lot of the problems with Pokemon stem from it hanging on to a bunch of weird legacy mechanics or erring on the side of caution with making sure children don't lock themselves into unfun situations by mistake. A lot of adults do play Pokemon games but it's generally with the understanding it's a franchise for kids.

See though, this still doesn't track with my own experiences with kids, including my own childhood; my experience with kids and games is that, more often than not, if the game gets hard, they'll just buckle down and try to beat it. It's possible that isn't true today (or at least is seen as not being true) due to the absurd cornucopia of distractions, amusements and time wasters available to human beings in the year of our Arceus 2019, but I'd still have my own doubts about that being the case. If the games are being designed to be "easy for kids", then I think that design is itself wrong-headed.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

a lot of this would be fixed if pokemon had different difficulties. like, "normal mode" and "hard mode", with the difference being stuff like levels, full teams or not, and occasionally held items or gimmick 'mons.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

a lot of this would be fixed if pokemon had different difficulties. like, "normal mode" and "hard mode", with the difference being stuff like levels, full teams or not, and occasionally held items or gimmick 'mons.

There was an attempt in Black 2 and White 2, but the only way to enable them was through linking them with other completed games and was ridiculously obtuse.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also iirc "easy mode" ended up actually being harder by virtue of getting less exp unless you really decide to grind wild mons

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I know these games are for kids, but I still think having a hard mode like in black and white 2 would be a good idea. Also, unlike Black and White 2, make the hard mode easier to access.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, what would hard mode entail, beyond no exp share? Reducing exp gain makes it more grindy, so I'm eh on that, but am interested in other ideas.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

iospace posted:

So, what would hard mode entail, beyond no exp share? Reducing exp gain makes it more grindy, so I'm eh on that.

make enemy trainers have more and stronger mons is the big one, especially important fights or gyms. i don't really think most people just want more grinding, i certainly don't.

that said to avoid gen 5's hard mode's pitfall of becoming easier by virtue of stronger mons granting more exp you'd probably adjust exp down a bit but since trainers have more things to fight it'd even out.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

iospace posted:

So, what would hard mode entail, beyond no exp share? Reducing exp gain makes it more grindy, so I'm eh on that, but am interested in other ideas.

1) NPC trainers that are not nearly entirely pushovers.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

qnqnx posted:

1) NPC trainers that are not nearly entirely pushovers.

Like some of the trainers in Alola you could only fight after beating all the other trainers on a route. I still have nightmares about that one early game dude with a Butterfree that only knew Silver Wind and Roost.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

See though, this still doesn't track with my own experiences with kids, including my own childhood; my experience with kids and games is that, more often than not, if the game gets hard, they'll just buckle down and try to beat it. It's possible that isn't true today (or at least is seen as not being true) due to the absurd cornucopia of distractions, amusements and time wasters available to human beings in the year of our Arceus 2019, but I'd still have my own doubts about that being the case. If the games are being designed to be "easy for kids", then I think that design is itself wrong-headed.
as someone who works with elem school kids - the ones who're old enough to play video games are generally incredibly stubborn, have lots of free time, and don't care for being condescended to at all. Kindergarteners might be entranced solely by flashy lights, but 5th graders (aka, 10 year olds, aka, who the games are ostensibly marketed to) aren't afraid of challenge at all.

Zuzie posted:

There was an attempt in Black 2 and White 2, but the only way to enable them was through linking them with other completed games and was ridiculously obtuse.
oh yeah the key system was extreme levels of bullshit and should've just been limited to things like Black City/White Forest, but once unlocked, it makes replays fun!

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
the fights in each route should be designed to teach mastery of a particular mechanic/competitive meta element

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Live Free posted:

the fights in each route should be designed to teach mastery of a particular mechanic/competitive meta element

a mainline game with nothing but doubles? a very brave thought

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Live Free posted:

Actually I wish the main campaign actually did teach the player how competitive Pokemon is run. Its weird that VGC rules run on something that's vastly different then the main campaign.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Open Marriage Night posted:

Are you playing the Gen 1 or 2 game on the DS Virtual Console? You can use that with the Poketransporter, and get those Pokémon on your later generation games with their Hidden Abilities.

I was more looking to move Pokémon between gen 1 and 2 games and not play 6th gen at all

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I feel trick room would be much harder in singles

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

Pokemon Colosseum and XD were very good.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Instead of each route and dungeon having dozens of trainers each having one or two pokemon each, have 3-6 or so with actual teams of 4-6 mons. On top of this a good way to make a Hard Mode would just be to allow trainers to actually evolve up their team. I should not be fighting a Remoraid trainer outside Victory Road. That can be on Kids Game Mode.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

stop getting my hopes up for another Orre game drat you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pospysyl posted:

Pokemon Colosseum and XD were very good.

i never actually played them :sweatdrop:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

i never actually played them :sweatdrop:
they're good
they're about as easy to get ahold of as Path of Radiance is, so your only option is either :10bux: or :filez:, but still, they're much more replayable than most of gen 1-3

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zuzie posted:

Actually I wish the main campaign actually did teach the player how competitive Pokemon is run. Its weird that VGC rules run on something that's vastly different then the main campaign.

I don't think I saw a single entry hazard in ORAS until the literal champion fight where Steven used Spikes. Actually that would be a cool way to freshen up Gyms. Instead of the types have each teach you about a gameplay aspect. This Gym uses entry hazards, this Gym uses Switch-Out moves, etc.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

as someone who works with elem school kids - the ones who're old enough to play video games are generally incredibly stubborn, have lots of free time, and don't care for being condescended to at all. Kindergarteners might be entranced solely by flashy lights, but 5th graders (aka, 10 year olds, aka, who the games are ostensibly marketed to) aren't afraid of challenge at all.

Yeah. Whoever buys into the 'games should be easy cause their made for kids!' either doesn't remember how much they banged their head against the wall with whatever they were playing when they were growing up, or doesn't really know how kids operate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

they're good
they're about as easy to get ahold of as Path of Radiance is, so your only option is either :10bux: or :filez:, but still, they're much more replayable than most of gen 1-3

I’ve said it before, they should port one or both of those to the Switch one day.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Larryb posted:

I’ve said it before, they should port one or both of those to the Switch one day.
They really should, but they'd have to decide between either leaving it the same resolution (and most companies nowadays seem averse to any port that isn't a remastering) or using the new models. And using the new models would be a travesty, because it would mean that this essential part of the experience would be missed

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

I was more looking to move Pokémon between gen 1 and 2 games and not play 6th gen at all

I'm like 80% sure that VC -> bank is a one way transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

galagazombie posted:

I don't think I saw a single entry hazard in ORAS until the literal champion fight where Steven used Spikes. Actually that would be a cool way to freshen up Gyms. Instead of the types have each teach you about a gameplay aspect. This Gym uses entry hazards, this Gym uses Switch-Out moves, etc.

which gym teaches how to do a wake up shoryuken?