Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat

i made a pizza

it was a really good pizza but now it is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic

gently caress got lime zest on my phone

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

i made a pizza

it was a really good pizza but now it is gone.

very nice! I am sorry to see that the black olive rations in your region have been cut to the bone, but you managed to make a delicious-looking pizza in the face of extreme privation, and for that I salute you.

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

hamjobs posted:

Low effort meh dining post: making BuzzFeed's one pot pasta just to see how it compares with Sunday sauce and homemade pasta which is my high effort post for better weekend maybe with a video because I like to talk about my pasta process with nerds ok

You're not serious unless you call in "gravy" apparently.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

You're not serious unless you call in "gravy" apparently.

I'm not serious then!!!

Also one pot pasta is confusing and sad. I prefer Sunday sauce if I have to eat it and I don't even like red sauce.

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

homemade pasta

what kinds of pasta do you make? I've made pasta-like things, but never pasta per se, altho I'm gonna do raviolis one of these days.

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I do a lot of orecchetti, rotini, lasagna, tortellini and ravioli. It's easy stuff and it's fun and I dye it with vegetables to make it prettier. Sometimes I marble my dough if it's lasagna because it doesn't have to be perfect but it does have to be sturdy and pretty.

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

I do a lot of orecchetti, rotini, lasagna, tortellini and ravioli. It's easy stuff and it's fun and I dye it with vegetables to make it prettier. Sometimes I marble my dough if it's lasagna because it doesn't have to be perfect but it does have to be sturdy and pretty.

ah you must have some kind of fancy pasta press then

which is fine if you use it regularly, which it sounds like you do

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

ah you must have some kind of fancy pasta press then

which is fine if you use it regularly, which it sounds like you do

It's very not fancy, I got it for two bucks at the op shop

Finger Prince

Let's make: fideuá!*

*I have never made fideuá before. I didn't even know it existed until a couple of weeks ago. It's sort of like paella only with noodles. It's traditionally made with seafood, but you can make it with landfood like chicken and chorizo, which is what I had and thus what I will attempt to make.

Let's get this poo poo started:

I found fideo noodles that you'd probably use for sopa de fideo if you were Mexican from a local Latin American store. Then we got some piquillo peppers from a jar, black Olives, little chorizos (Spanish kind, not Mexican), celery, a paste made from sweet pimenton and mashed piquillo (because I can't get ñora pepper paste here, and it's hard to find outside Spain apparently), some red shepherd pepper, 4 big cloves of garlic and about a quarter big Spanish onion, roughly chopped. Up top is half a can of San marzano tomatoes, Ortolina (which is like tomato paste but better and if you ever see it you should get some), 1l chicken stock, saffron, and some leftover rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. The small jar is some very underwhelming garlic aioli.

A bigass pan and some Olive oil. Btw I am a messy cook so ignore the mess, it's what I do.

Two packs of noodles. Too much perhaps? Probably would make less next time, and only use one.

Stir these around until they start to brown. Is this brown enough? Maybe. Probably.

Put the noodles aside and then fry up the vegetables.

Heat up the stock with a pinch of saffron

Once the onions and stuff are starting to brown up a bit, chuck in the chicken and tomato and pepper pastes, mix it all together and get it cooking.

Pour in the tomatoes and stir around, let their juice deglaze the pan, get boiling.

Chuck the noodles back in the pan and mix through.

Gradually add the stock. Mix it through but dont keep stirring, think paella. I maybe stirred too much and maybe used too much stock. The noodles absorb it really fast.

Well at least it looks the part!

Under the broiler for a brief bit to crust the top a little.

Bit of aioli on top. Zero effort plating, but it is peasant food, after all.

How did it turn out? Like the home made version of the very good restaurant version I had in London. Not bad, but definitely could use some refinement. Also I made way too loving much. Not a bad first effort, but it suffers for not having good Spanish ingredients. I can see why this is done traditionally with seafood, and I think it would be better that way, but the seafood here is trash so.

poverty goat

it's finally cold so I made some beef stew but naturally i only took 2 pics because

It's pretty much the straight serious eats pressure cooker beef stew from homemade chix stock with a couple of subs/adds like deglazing with old rasputin, and the parsnips and the marrow bone

Manifisto

Finger Prince posted:

Let's make: fideuá!*

Bit of aioli on top. Zero effort plating, but it is peasant food, after all.

How did it turn out? Like the home made version of the very good restaurant version I had in London. Not bad, but definitely could use some refinement. Also I made way too loving much. Not a bad first effort, but it suffers for not having good Spanish ingredients. I can see why this is done traditionally with seafood, and I think it would be better that way, but the seafood here is trash so.

I meant to mention, this looks really good, thanks for sharing!

it looks reminiscent of something I had in Barcelona a couple of years ago, although that one was more . . . saucy, I guess? . . . than your dish. I like the crispy noodles in yours, they look tasty.

ty nesamdoom!

poverty goat

This is what 2.5 pounds of cilantro looks like and my goal is to do something with all of it before it melts in my refrigerator

nut

poverty goat posted:

This is what 2.5 pounds of cilantro looks like and my goal is to do something with all of it before it melts in my refrigerator

maybe first go back 2 that park right now mister and give the deer their water back

Escape From Noise

poverty goat posted:

Guac and pho?

phantump21

Just a tree stump ghost.

nut posted:

maybe first go back 2 that park right now mister and give the deer their water back

It’s called deer park water. Doesn’t belong to deer.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I mean we just met

Manifisto

so it looks like thanksgiving this year is gonna be lasagna, which is :toot:

there is/are gonna be 1 or 2 lasagne, definitely a vegetarian (not vegan tho) and maybe a non-veg one as well

if people have recipes they wanna share I'm all ears, esp. on the vegetarian end. like the goal is a really loving good and yummy lasagna, without the knife to meat you

am considering getting a pasta machine to hand-roll lasagna noodle, is this worth the effort?

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

garfield jokes not just welcome but mandatory

ty nesamdoom!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Manifisto posted:

so it looks like thanksgiving this year is gonna be lasagna, which is :toot:

there is/are gonna be 1 or 2 lasagne, definitely a vegetarian (not vegan tho) and maybe a non-veg one as well

if people have recipes they wanna share I'm all ears, esp. on the vegetarian end. like the goal is a really loving good and yummy lasagna, without the knife to meat you

am considering getting a pasta machine to hand-roll lasagna noodle, is this worth the effort?
Yes. Homemade pasta is like , light years better than dry pasta and cheap cheap cheap. Make spinach noodles for your lasagna. Make real bolognese for the meat and some bechamel. You can divide it up over about 3 days and it's not so much work. Roll the nude-ulls real thin and do more layers of them and it makes a much nicer texture. I have a pasta attachment for my kitchenaid and I like it fine.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Finger Prince

Speaking of making real bolognese, this recipe will change your life:
http://foodnouveau.com/recipes/how-tos/how-to-make-an-authentic-bolognese-sauce/
And you don't have to follow it perfectly to still get the results. You can make it dairy free by using oat milk, which works great. You can simmer it for the recommended 2-3 hours, but you can speed it along at a bit higher heat and it's still delicious after 1-2. It's definitely worth the effort!

Manifisto

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yes. Homemade pasta is like , light years better than dry pasta and cheap cheap cheap. Make spinach noodles for your lasagna. Make real bolognese for the meat and some bechamel. You can divide it up over about 3 days and it's not so much work. Roll the nude-ulls real thin and do more layers of them and it makes a much nicer texture. I have a pasta attachment for my kitchenaid and I like it fine.

Finger Prince posted:

Speaking of making real bolognese, this recipe will change your life:
http://foodnouveau.com/recipes/how-tos/how-to-make-an-authentic-bolognese-sauce/
And you don't have to follow it perfectly to still get the results. You can make it dairy free by using oat milk, which works great. You can simmer it for the recommended 2-3 hours, but you can speed it along at a bit higher heat and it's still delicious after 1-2. It's definitely worth the effort!

cool cool, thank you both. I will consult and see if folks would like a bolognese. I am now vaguely wondering about how well a vegetarian bolognese with "beyond beef" would work (for the veggie one). I don't know how you replace the pancetta though and that seems p. important. I used bacony tempeh strips in a bean dish this summer and that worked out p well flavorwise, but texturally it didn't do much of the work that bacon does.

ty nesamdoom!

Finger Prince

Manifisto posted:

cool cool, thank you both. I will consult and see if folks would like a bolognese. I am now vaguely wondering about how well a vegetarian bolognese with "beyond beef" would work (for the veggie one). I don't know how you replace the pancetta though and that seems p. important. I used bacony tempeh strips in a bean dish this summer and that worked out p well flavorwise, but texturally it didn't do much of the work that bacon does.

I've made it without pancetta before and it still turns out good. You could maybe substitute some pine nuts and maybe diced up olives, but it's totally fine to skip it. I wouldn't use fake bacon, and even normal North American style bacon I think would be too overpowering. You can also use prosciutto ends instead of actual pancetta, though that's still meat.

poverty goat

My family does a v traditional southern Thanksgiving where everything has at least some turkey or fatback in it, but my sister is coming with all her kids and the girls are all vegetarians now. I'm pretty excited to try out Kenji's Vegetable Wellington on them. Looking forward to the crash course on mushrooms, and this will put mushroom gravy on the table so they can get their mashed potatoes and stuffing on. And they're not actually vegan, so I can use real butter and puff pastry. Watch me upstage my uncle's dry rear end turkey and wind up stuck doing this every year.

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

My family does a v traditional southern Thanksgiving where everything has at least some turkey or fatback in it, but my sister is coming with all her kids and the girls are all vegetarians now. I'm pretty excited to try out Kenji's Vegetable Wellington on them. Looking forward to the crash course on mushrooms, and this will put mushroom gravy on the table so they can get their mashed potatoes and stuffing on. And they're not actually vegan, so I can use real butter and puff pastry. Watch me upstage my uncle's dry rear end turkey and wind up stuck doing this every year.

that looks like plenty of work but sounds really delicious

ty nesamdoom!

Finger Prince

Lemme share a recipe I came up with a while back. Haven't made it in a while, but it's fuckin good. It's vegetarian, not vegan, because of the cream used in the topping and the butter used in sautéing. You could probably make it vegan, but the mash wouldn't be creamy which wouldn't be great. It's basically shepherds pie only since it's got no sheep in it, I called it harvest pie.

Cepes=porcini
Swede=rutabaga
Heavy cream=whipping cream or double cream
H&P=that Japanese chili seasoning in the little glass jars (substitute cayenne or some other chili)
Berbere=Ethiopian spice mix, I use mild. Google what's in it if you can't get it and want to blend your own. You could probably substitute some ras al hanout and paprika or something.
Yeast flakes=nutritional yeast
Seasoning is all to taste, use your judgement. Figure 1-2 teaspoons of each of them. If you're using dried rosemary, grind it up in a mortar&pestle.

El Spider

poverty goat posted:

may your vengeance be swift and astringent as your uncle's turkey

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Escape From Noise

My mom always made a really nice veggie lasagna with spinach and ricotta cheese as a filling.

Manifisto

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

My mom always made a really nice veggie lasagna with spinach and ricotta cheese as a filling.

cool, if you have a recipe I'd love to see it!

I did a test run with a pretty simple recipe I found online--this was just with store-bought noodles, haven't graduated to the handmade ones yet--and I think it's pretty promising. I think it could really use a bunch of mushrooms for meatiness however.

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Manifisto posted:

cool, if you have a recipe I'd love to see it!

I did a test run with a pretty simple recipe I found online--this was just with store-bought noodles, haven't graduated to the handmade ones yet--and I think it's pretty promising. I think it could really use a bunch of mushrooms for meatiness however.

I don't know if she has one. I'll check.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgzudBvmd08
Babish uses a garlic press. I feel vindicated.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

TVsVeryOwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgzudBvmd08
Babish uses a garlic press. I feel vindicated.

The garlic press is my weird hill but I'll allow it. Only because he finally freaking used one.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

hamjobs posted:

The garlic press is my weird hill but I'll allow it. Only because he finally freaking used one.

I made the 'chos, but my camera is rear end. They taste better than they look.

My only regret is that I added too much cheese to the sauce (I was just eyeballing) and it's too thick.

Manifisto

well I did spring for the pasta machine and made fresh spinach noodles for the lasagna . . . the beast is assembled but won't be baked until tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how it comes out!

ty nesamdoom!

joke_explainer

Manifisto posted:

well I did spring for the pasta machine and made fresh spinach noodles for the lasagna . . . the beast is assembled but won't be baked until tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how it comes out!

how'd it go? Photos?

Manifisto

joke_explainer posted:

how'd it go? Photos?

the flavor was great! tweaking the recipe with the homemade noodles, some sauteed mushrooms, and an italian cheese blend instead of just mozz made the whole thing really good, we all agreed. my only (very minor) reservation was the very soft texture of the fresh noodles. I guess I'm used to just a little bit of bite/resilience you get when dry noodles are fully cooked. maybe that was due to the recipe I used, my inexperience, etc. but it was worth it for the flavor, and there was enough spinach dough left to make linguini as a bonus.

I did take a photo as it came out of the oven, but tragically I failed to get the all-important cross-section so there's not much to see, the noods are fully covered by cheese

ty nesamdoom!

poverty goat

Lamb Kleftiko aka Bandit-style Lamb aka epic Greek pot roast

Get you a leg of lamb, bone in, and break it down into 5-6 portions or so (don't take it all off the bone though), season them with salt/pepper and put in a big bowl. Cut a couple small-med onions into quarters and put them in the bowl. Peel 8 or so cloves of garlic, crush half of them and add crushed garlics to the big bowl. put some baby red potatoes or fingerlings in there, plus carrots and whatever other long-cooking starchy friends you want to put in it and maybe a quartered tomato or two. Top it off with 150-200g of firm feta, cut into large cubes (taste it- if it's REALLY salty you'll want to be careful not to add too much salt elsewhere).

Now, dice the ramaining garlic and, in a small bowl, combine it with half a cup of good olive oil, half a cup of wine (I've used red and white, both are delicious), juice and zest of a small-med lemon (maybe only half a big fucker), 1tbsp of oregano, and 2tbsp of mustard. Whisk it into a weird vinaigrette and then toss everything in the big bowl with it and season with salt and pepper. Let that poo poo marinate for at least a few hours, if not overnight.

Now preheat to 325. Load everything into a 5qt dutch oven with taters on the bottom and meat on the top, fatty side facing up if possible, and place in oven with lid on tight and a brick on top of you want to be thorough. After an hour there will be some liquid accumulating; push the meaty bits down a bit, particularly the bones, into the broth and return it to the oven with the lid. On the 2 hour mark, move the rack up, remove the lid, and start ladeling juices up into the lamb every 10-15 minutes. It's done after 2.5-3 hours when the meat is falling off the bone. Normally I wouldn't cook potatoes this long but with whole baby potatoes they'll keep their form in the skin onto your plate but be totally fluffy inside, ready to be crushed by a fork to soak up the ridiculously tasty lamb+feta gravy.

Traditionally this would be cooked on a bed of coals in a small pit, covered over with dirt for the duration to conceal the delicious smells and the location of your bandit camp from the ottoman invaders from whom you stole the lamb. But since you're presumably not a cypriot freedom-fighter you can use your oven and it will make your home smell amazing

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 7, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster

might do that lamb for christmas. i only really like the sides that come with turkey dinner and my mom really likes lamb.

FutonForensic

today made roast chicken w/ mushroom 'n' leek stuffing. spatchcocked the bird and cooked it atop a makeshift foil bowl packed with the stuffing.

spatchcocking makes for a more evenly cooked bird, and is fun to say, but ripping out a chicken's spine is one of the times i question my still being an omnivore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

FutonForensic posted:

today made roast chicken w/ mushroom 'n' leek stuffing. spatchcocked the bird and cooked it atop a makeshift foil bowl packed with the stuffing.

spatchcocking makes for a more evenly cooked bird, and is fun to say, but ripping out a chicken's spine is one of the times i question my still being an omnivore

I have seen recipes for doing this thing and have always been curious, but it does seem like a bunch of effort and maybe a bit disturbing to boot. it's one of the areas where cooks illustrated/best recipe is a bit maddening, they're always like "chicken in a v roaster is fine but have you flattened it and cooked it on high heat and oh yeah air dried it for 24 hours in the fridge and also dry brined it u piece of poo poo I thought not u suck and ur chicken is garbage"

ty nesamdoom!