Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

MostlyRandom posted:

even bears like to caress some buttocks

:holymoley:

https://i.imgur.com/uv3Mc73.mp4

his nibs fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Kosumo posted:

Look Goons, you have two hands and two buttocks, is it that hard to caresses ones own buttocks and also someone's else at the same time?

Yes, since that does quite interfere with the extreme handwaving one has to perform when deep into game developing... or so I'm told.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
catnip is a hell of a drug

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
An alternate end to the Star Citizen saga occurred to me today. What if, while they're chugging along with insane backers footing the bill, while Chris waddles around the parking lot with his pants around his ankles, PC gaming moves forward? New CPUs, new video cards, and finally one day some company with a shiny new engine basically makes Star Citizen with a different name. I can very, very easily see CIG framing that as the other company being carried by their work, and riding their coattails to success, as if CIG paved the way. Then they're just take their engine and game, reskin it, and market it as "the original" and backers will 100% repeat that everywhere they can manage.

It's a crime that fits Chris Roberts's modus operandi perfectly. Lie about something you're incapable of doing, then when someone else manages to do it, steal the idea and say you did it first.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Problem is there is no definitive finished version of Star Citizen, every backer views it differently depending on what they want to get out of it. So you'll never get anyone to admit that someone else built Star Citizen because it doesn't have X feature that Chris promised back in 2013 and subsequently forgot about.

I would love to hear Roberts explain what a finished Star Citizen looks like, it would be fascinating to hear what he currently thinks that even looks like. My guess is not even he knows what it would ideally look like anymore.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

What happened to the news vans?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

i am not sure how news vans will work when they suck at PiP.

"News ships come with URL to twitch.tv written in the cockpit"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1194034651263750144

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dementropy posted:

What happened to the news vans?

It's in the game but doesn't do anything that any other ship can do other than having an external camera. No one knows how they expect to put "reporter mechanics" in the game, and there's no good reason for a streamer to use it over a better ship.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m the wheel clipping through the ground.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

An alternate end to the Star Citizen saga occurred to me today. What if, while they're chugging along with insane backers footing the bill, while Chris waddles around the parking lot with his pants around his ankles, PC gaming moves forward? New CPUs, new video cards, and finally one day some company with a shiny new engine basically makes Star Citizen with a different name. I can very, very easily see CIG framing that as the other company being carried by their work, and riding their coattails to success, as if CIG paved the way. Then they're just take their engine and game, reskin it, and market it as "the original" and backers will 100% repeat that everywhere they can manage.

It's a crime that fits Chris Roberts's modus operandi perfectly. Lie about something you're incapable of doing, then when someone else manages to do it, steal the idea and say you did it first.

It fits his modus operandi so perfectly that he has already did that the last time SC was released…

Gee, I wonder what else came out in 1993 that most definitely truly pinky-swear stole Chris Original Idea™ of Gouraud-shaded textured polygons…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 12, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

It fits his modus operandi so perfectly that he has already did that the last time SC was released…

Gee, I wonder what else came out in 1993 that most definitely truly pinky-swear stole Chris Original Idea™ of Gouraud-shaded textured polygons…

I also identify myself with the greatest artists in history when I fail miserably at attempting something far beyond my ability, and subsequently failing spectacularly.

Edit: loving insane, that text - implying that he gave his competitors a "heads-up" - Jesus Jumping Christ this man has no awareness, no shame, or most likely both. What a loving fraud.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 12, 2019

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

I also identify myself with the greatest artists in history when I fail miserably at attempting something far beyond my ability, and subsequently failing spectacularly.

Edit: loving insane, that text - implying that he gave his competitors a "heads-up" - Jesus Jumping Christ this man has no awareness, no shame, or most likely both. What a loving fraud.

It's almost as if he were a self-aggrandizing fuckwit whose only achievement is in how much work he's managed appropriate from actual competent people from the very start…

Oh, and I wonder what else came out in 1993 that made heavy use of textured surfaces and Gouraud shading (and was programmed by a couple of spotty Finns in a garage). Whatever happened to those guys,? Probably just a bunch of n00bs who went nowhere…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 12, 2019

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Sandepande posted:

That much they have to say because it is so glaringly obvious that SC is far from done, this living, breathing universe where a single mission giver takes years to build.

This single mission has more gameplay than the entire elder scrolls saga.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

The other thing is that.... the games they claim to want already exists.

Huge spess battles and lol capitalism econ? Eve
Space dad trucker? EV
Space Exploration? No man's sky
"Go to point A and perform skill-based checks and then repeat?" - Any of a number of given MMOs
Race games? Sure there's dozens of different levels of skill ceiling and fidelity.
Want to play captain and your friends are crew? Star Trek Bridge Crew is a thing that exists.

The only difference here is marketing and pay to win.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SoftNum posted:

The other thing is that.... the games they claim to want already exists.

Huge spess battles and lol capitalism econ? Eve
Space dad trucker? EV
Space Exploration? No man's sky
"Go to point A and perform skill-based checks and then repeat?" - Any of a number of given MMOs
Race games? Sure there's dozens of different levels of skill ceiling and fidelity.
Want to play captain and your friends are crew? Star Trek Bridge Crew is a thing that exists.

The only difference here is marketing and pay to win.

But, but, but... Star Citizen can do it all together!

Sure, it's all poo poo compared to abovementioned, but ALL TOGETHER!!!ELEVEN1!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/_tristan971_/status/1194065661158400001

MostlyRandom
Nov 1, 2019
I just noticed another thing that they Archered
if you go to the RSi website the 1st image you see is fauna with what look like brains on them.

Braintrees are in Elite (and have been for years) as far as I remember it was the ED community that gave them the name. (it was just a nickname that Fdev ran with)

Crobbler took it literally and put actual fkin brains on trees :)

MostlyRandom fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 12, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I think what you mean to say is, it doesn't do any of those things, but it doesn't do them... Together!!!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

MostlyRandom posted:

I just noticed another thing that they Archered
if you go to the RSi website the 1st image you see is fauna with what look like brains on them.

Braintrees are in Elite (and have been for years) as far as I remember it was the ED community that gave them the name. (it was just a nickname that Fdev ran with)

Crobbler took it literally and put actual fkin brains on trees :)

They were put on CInotG's website just recently, but in doing so, CR gave Braben the heads up on what CInotG had planned for the gaming industry, so Braben simply decided to steal the idea for himself.

... and then Braben clearly went back in time a bunch of years somehow and put brain trees in his inferior game, obviously the time machine (quantum drive powered) was first invented by CR after goons said it was 'impossible' but what do they know, they only know how to rub hateboners and worship DS in hatesubs.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon

"Manchester, England - November 23, 2019

Set a course for the United Kingdom this November, as the biggest event in the universe comes to Manchester Central Convention Complex.

A full day of presentations, panels, and opportunities to mingle with the Star Citizen development team awaits, alongside interactive demonstrations, lore-inspired food and beverages, and immersive surprises around every corner."

Immersive surprises = feel good and buy more ships while you learn about new missed milestones and why SQ42 might hit beta in 2 years 2021, so that we can move goalposts at citcon 2021, again. :D

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
staggered developement = CI not Gs agile developement = fragile developement.
I wish I understood.

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Maybe it can do all together .. in 100 years

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen: it is a good game but there is no space.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

amazing

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon

"Manchester, England - November 23, 2019

Set a course for the United Kingdom this November, as the biggest event in the universe comes to Manchester Central Convention Complex.

A full day of presentations, panels, and opportunities to mingle with the Star Citizen development team awaits, alongside interactive demonstrations, lore-inspired food and beverages, and immersive surprises around every corner."

Immersive surprises = feel good and buy more ships while you learn about new missed milestones and why SQ42 might hit beta in 2 years 2021, so that we can move goalposts at citcon 2021, again. :D

CIG has normalized so much insanity over the past 8 years... but it still needs to be said how stupid and hilarious it is that a games studio that has never released a game has its own annual convention.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Tippis posted:

It's almost as if he were a self-aggrandizing fuckwit whose only achievement is in how much work he's managed appropriate from actual competent people from the very start…

Oh, and I wonder what else came out in 1993 that made heavy use of textured surfaces and Gouraud shading (and was programmed by a couple of spotty Finns in a garage). Whatever happened to those guys,? Probably just a bunch of n00bs who went nowhere…
This is a good post.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
"Cloud Imperium Games is a pioneer in the world of gaming for their open development approach. "
https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009643527-Issue-Council-FAQ

Star Citizen: pioneer in open development approach

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Tippis posted:

Shamelessly quoting this for future reference -- great job Tippis.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Quotes with 0 results in Google:
"CInotG are pioneers! The best in the industry"

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Star Citizen Lied About Release Dates - Myth
Squadron 42 And Star Citizen Are Developed In Parallel - Myth
Gamescom And Community Events Do Not Cause Development Delays - Myth
Star Citizen Is A Scam - Myth
CIG Will Stop Selling Concept Ships After Launch - Myth
LTI Gives Players An Advantage - Myth
Star Citizen Is Pay 2 Win - Myth
Star Citizen Will Release With 5 to 10 Systems - Myth
Star Citizen Uses A Paywall For Mining - Myth
All Ships Can Be Purchased In Game - Misconception
Chris Roberts Should Be Replaced As CEO / Star Citizen is Badly Managed - Myth
Star Citizen Has Bad Marketing - Myth
Star Citizen Ships Are Digital JPEGS - Myth
In-Game Ship Sales and Rentals Will Negatively Affect Funding - Myth
Star Citizen is Not A Game Yet - Misconception
Star Citizen Is Never Going To Release - Myth

https://scfocus.org/star-citizen-myths/

Star Citizen Is Not A Game Yet - Myth

quote:

Vast numbers of supporters of the game claim that Star Citizen is not a game yet.
Reality - Star Citizen Is Already Playable

While Star Citizen is still in the funding phase and the product has not commercially released the game itself has been playable on some functional degree since Alpha 3.0 from where the universe started to grow and expand. The framerates also improved dramatically. Player counts per server still pending increase from 50.

Players are spending many hours play testing the game and coming up with unique content scenarios. Racing leagues organize periodic events.

Stability is an issue in games of all sizes and many fully released games still have bugs and issues. Further still, nothing prevents future patches of other games from getting new bugs. So how "playable" is Star Citizen? Enough so that it is a fun game in and of itself right now (Alpha 3.7). Being playable now while also in an early alpha state are not mutually exclusive things.

In sandbox form there are people organizing events in Star Citizen with regular frequency.

Star Citizen is not only play testable but it is possible to have short amounts of fun in the game - no different to many fully released games.

Is Star Citizen a fully released and complete game? No. Not even close to what is planned. Is it a playable game? Yes.

This does not mean you should rush out and buy the game as the best results for "players" (not testers) will be had when the game is fully released. Whether the game is complete or fully released is not mutually exclusive with the game being playable or not.

Star Citizen: Reality - Star Citizen Is Not A Game yet

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Reality - Star Citizen already released, was the best game ever, and shut down. Sucks that you missed it.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

holy poo poo that website

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://scfocus.org/org-enlistment

:laffo: :sad:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

holy poo poo that website

quote:

Star Citizen Focus Organization - Star Citizen Intel Since 2015

Star Citizen Release date
No sooner than: Q3 2022

Squadron 42 Release date
No sooner than: Q2 2021

Estimate Confidence: 77%
Based on scoring previous estimates. Read more about the Confidence Score.

Here at SC Focus we love to speculate about Star Citizen Release Dates. As a result we provide Forecasts for Estimated Release Dates to upcoming patches and game releases.

Estimates are recorded on this website for entertainment purposes -> This is a fan-made project, enjoy!

Methodology
To predict the “unpredictable” the estimates provided at SC FOCUS are based on planned features and what is currently playable (released to Alpha testing). Progress is guesstimated based on the following metrics:

Progress shown of features (as in demoed at an event -> first time a feature is seen)
Historic progress rate of similar features :siren:
Optimism buffer (to adjust for overly optimistic dates) :siren:
Experience following Star Citizen’s development closely since 2015 :siren:
Preempting delays from community events, holiday seasons or major technical hurdles :siren:
Playtesting the Star Citizen Alpha for several years :siren:
Experience in many Alpha and Beta MMO games since 1995 :siren:
For Squadron 42 it is also possible to estimate the status of many features because when the feature appears in the Star Citizen Alpha it is already known to be significantly further along in Squadron 42.:siren:

Examples of how release date estimates are formed

Release Date Estimates give how long a feature is going to take from announced until it is testable in player's hands.

One simple example of this methodology in action was the prediction that Alpha 3.0 would release at least one year after it was demoed. Divergence between what was playable in 2.6 and what was shown as 3.0 was significant so one year was added to get it playable. Even though the Estimate was still one quarter short, it highlights how it is possible to take the known knowns and add them to the unknown knowns to generate a "close" estimate of 75% prediction accuracy.

Another very long shot estimate (7 to 8 quarters away) was for Alpha 3.2 which originally featured:

Crusader
Hurston
Microtech
Ship to ship refuel
Object Container Streaming

While the 3.2 Patch eventually ended up having none of these features the SC FOCUS estimate for these features to be in the game placed the features 11 quarters or more away. By Q1 2020 it seems that the above features should finally be testable - now known as Alpha 3.9. :siren::siren::siren:

I love this part, of which I took from like, the 5% of the article I copy-pasted here:

Progress shown of features (as in demoed at an event -> first time a feature is seen) The demos are purely fictional and not indicative of actual progress or goals.
Historic progress rate of similar features Historic progress is negligible or faulty to base information on due to hidden roadmap/work priorities.
Optimism buffer (to adjust for overly optimistic dates) This alone should be disqualified after "2014 release date" by Chris Roberts
Experience following Star Citizen’s development closely since 2015 This is probably the worst. Accurate calculations don't require 4 years of sifting through poo poo to find the diamond.
Preempting delays from community events, holiday seasons or major technical hurdles These are: Bad things, Not applicable, Unpredictable/Lies because CIG claims standard practice stuff is hard.
Playtesting the Star Citizen Alpha for several years This gives no idea as to how progress will be made, and is useless when you could just look at the very-open-and-not-untruthful-company releases patch notes.
Experience in many Alpha and Beta MMO games since 1995 Star Citizen is beyond all other MMOs and is incomparable. -A Star Citizen Backer
For Squadron 42 it is also possible to estimate the status of many features because when the feature appears in the Star Citizen Alpha it is already known to be significantly further along in Squadron 42. If you can't accurately predict Star Citizen, Squadron 42's estimate also becomes irrelevant.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite is "SC isn't pay to win because while you can pay for better equipment than other players, what does it really mean to 'win' maaaannnnn?"

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I am actually really excited for Citizen Con to see how bad it will be.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:siren::siren::siren:While the 3.2 Patch eventually ended up having none of these features the SC FOCUS estimate for these features to be in the game placed the features 11 quarters or more away. By Q1 2020 it seems that the above features should finally be testable - now known as Alpha 3.9. :siren::siren::siren:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

My favorite is "SC isn't pay to win because while you can pay for better equipment than other players, what does it really mean to 'win' maaaannnnn?"

quote:

This myth states that Star Citizen is Pay To Win. Buying more expensive ships than your opponents will lead you to victory.

Reality - Star Citizen Is Not Pay To Win
There are several reasons why Star Citizen does not fit with the traditional label of Pay 2 Win. Paying for a better ship does not automatically make one player beat another player. There is a variety of jobs and professions planned and simply paying more does not equal winning in this MMO.

Player skill matters. Star Citizen is a skill based game. Players consistently outfly, outplay and outgun other players independent of spend. Also being able to group with other players can quickly turn a scenario.

What is winning in Star Citizen? While at first this isn't clearly an argument for not pay to win, it appears to be very subjective and undefined what winning in Star Citizen will be.

In Star Citizen, paying grants you an advantage in that players can accelerate progress.

Result: Star Citizen is not Pay to Win but it is Pay for Advancement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
just goddamn. what kind of pretzel twisted logic is that poo poo