Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Unless you really really really want AWD, buy a RWD E30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If it's not felt through the steering wheel it's unlikely that it's steering related

edit: and it's more likely to be rear half of the car

In this vein, swap your tires front to rear and see if you start feeling it in the steering. If so the balance might help. Of not it's probably something suspension related in the rear.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

Unless you really really really want AWD, buy a RWD E30.

never buy awd e30s

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TacoHavoc posted:

In this vein, swap your tires front to rear and see if you start feeling it in the steering. If so the balance might help. Of not it's probably something suspension related in the rear.

is this feasible? i guess the 335 is probably square

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is this feasible? i guess the 335 is probably square

Ah poo poo, I forgot about 335s and sport wheels. My E90 was a 328 and yes, it was square.

So only do this if your wheels are the same.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do they use staggered wheels on AWD cars?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ThirstyBuck posted:

I've got a small issue with my 2009 E91 328xi. 90k miles.

It has a high speed vibration that shows up at around 70mph. The car drives w/o vibration up to that point. New tires and alignment about 4k miles ago. The steering wheel doesn't shake when it happens. Has anyone had any luck in this scenario with road force balancing tires?

I googled only to find that it is a very common problem with no isolated solution.

TIA.

If the E9x is anything like every other 3-Series ever, a good place to start looking are your front suspension bushings, specifically your control/thrust arm bushings.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

rscott posted:

Yeah. My M Sport has staggered summers, 18x8 in the front, 18x8.5 in the back. I think it has to be M Sport, not just Sport? (Mine's AWD)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

rscott posted:

My E61 was square. F90 is staggered.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Crunchy Black posted:

e30 ix's are rareer but mostly because they don't play legos well like the rest of the older BMWs do, so parts are much harder to come by. Some rally guys love them, and that makes sense, but for a daily, unless you live somewhere where an Audi would make more sense anyway, something with an oil pan as its nadir doesn't really create a compelling use case imo

Ah yes, now I remember. Thanks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ThirstyBuck posted:

I've got a small issue with my 2009 E91 328xi. 90k miles.

It has a high speed vibration that shows up at around 70mph. The car drives w/o vibration up to that point. New tires and alignment about 4k miles ago. The steering wheel doesn't shake when it happens. Has anyone had any luck in this scenario with road force balancing tires?

I googled only to find that it is a very common problem with no isolated solution.

TIA.

If you got star tires, see if the dealer can trigger a qmt request to check whether the DOT / lot of the tires was previously flagged for cavity noise issues, that's a fairly straightforward option they have available.

4k Miles is a bit outside of the threshold for harmonics issues to manifest, but asking don't cost you squat.

If it's not the tires, good luck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrChips posted:

If the E9x is anything like every other 3-Series ever, a good place to start looking are your front suspension bushings, specifically your control/thrust arm bushings.

this is also true for the E39, thrust arm bushings are very common issue.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
Quite awhile back I purchased a second "diffuser cover" for my E61 and had it painted Jet Black (my favorite BMW black.) I've been dragging my feet to actually swap things out, however a trip up to my father's today resulted in my tackling a personal project! Captured a pic while walking from the grocer :effort:

Installation does require removal of the rear tail lamps and bumper cover, thus also ended up cleaning a few years of accumulated road grime as I chased that rabbit hole. I'm very happy with how the rear of this longroof looks and am appreciating it a bit more :) Will be swapping to winter tires at the beginning of next week. Factory tire setup for this AWD platform is square like other AWD-N54 offerings, to the best of my knowledge.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
CCA is supposed to be cutting the check to the dealership today.

e: because I realize this contradicts earlier posts. What they sent me last week was basically the full, legally-binding rules to sign and a W9. They are pulling the taxes out of the ~45k winnings and sending them directly to the IRS. So I end up with 34,5$. They are cutting a check directly to the dealership (Global) towards, "the purchase of a new BMW m240i or any other new BMW of greater value of your choice."

Not begruding them, but it wouldn't have killed them to put the last paragraph in the rules on the website. I understand there are probably regulations or taxation laws that cause them to handle it in this manner. I've just been waiting a long time at this juncture and my sales adviser has been beyond patient.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 14, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well at least you can still get an m240i in estoril blue, a far better color than the m2 blue

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The rules do state that for the first two prizes, which they typically already have the car in hand, you have to give them a check for the taxes up front before you get the car. I assumed they'd withhold the taxes if they're just cutting a check on the third place prizes.

Interesting to know that it's cut to a dealership, and not just to you as cash winnings. I would have wanted to allocate that between a car for my wife and paying off the loan on my car, which sounds like you can't make that work, at least not easily.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Right? Personally I wanted to pull like 5k of the winnings back for ceramic coat and tint. Its a bit like complaining about unspilled, unspoiled, free milk, but the lack of flexibility and the amount of time this has taken has been a bit exhausting.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The way it was explained to me is that the prize is a car so the full value must be allocated to a car. If they just gave you a check and let you do whatever with the money then it would effectively be a cash lottery and not a lottery for a car. If they went that route then they'd have to advertise it as a "car or cash" contest.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I am very sorry about your free new BMW

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I am very sorry about your free new BMW

Not free; necessitates a more-than-doubling of my current car payment, even after raffle money, and I still need to call my insurance company...

Basically if this had happened last year, I wouldn't be able to utilize it because I wouldn't be able to afford the delta between my GTI and this. Luckily, I've gotten a new job since then.

I understand if people in here want to bemoan my complaints about winning free money, but I daresay I've been pretty upfront about the situation and given the fact that there was no published schedule for this, its been a little bewildering.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I love when I go to replace the driveshaft in my e30 and find that the subframe bushings are all dry rotted and the brake lines are rusty as hell. Neat. Some day I'll run out of stuff to fix on this car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Crunchy Black posted:

Not free; necessitates a more-than-doubling of my current car payment, even after raffle money, and I still need to call my insurance company...

Basically if this had happened last year, I wouldn't be able to utilize it because I wouldn't be able to afford the delta between my GTI and this. Luckily, I've gotten a new job since then.

I understand if people in here want to bemoan my complaints about winning free money, but I daresay I've been pretty upfront about the situation and given the fact that there was no published schedule for this, its been a little bewildering.

No joke, I can see how that would be daunting. I'd be tempted to complete the purchase, since 65% of it is free, and sell it. Yes, there'd be a huge depreciation hit, but you'd end up with 50% of the money in cash to buy 100% of a still very cool other car.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

User Error posted:

I love when I go to replace the driveshaft in my e30 and find that the subframe bushings are all dry rotted and the brake lines are rusty as hell. Neat. Some day I'll run out of stuff to fix on this car.

The subframe bushings have probably been gone for 10 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As far as I know, contests usually let you take the cash value of the prize. Sucks that this one doesn't.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

No joke, I can see how that would be daunting. I'd be tempted to complete the purchase, since 65% of it is free, and sell it. Yes, there'd be a huge depreciation hit, but you'd end up with 50% of the money in cash to buy 100% of a still very cool other car.

Oh good, this has now become the "Take your free BMW and get a used 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS thread"

$27,407

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Oh good, this has now become the "Take your free BMW and get a used 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS thread"

$27,407

drat straight.

Lol. Fewer than 9k miles and look at picture #34 of the "front" tire.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 15, 2019

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

User Error posted:

As someone who owns a couple E30s - no you won’t

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

$27,407

quote:

Transmission Automatic
:wrong:

Okay serious posting:

My E92 (N52) is putting out slightly more smoke than I think is normal. Not like, white clouds, but enough that it's making me perk up. In the garage, I do notice a subtle burning smell. It's not sweet like coolant, but it also doesn't exactly smell like burning oil, it's more like burning rubber. I don't see any oil leaks under the hood and it's not dripping coolant/oil onto the pavement, and for now at least, the oil temp is right where it should be. Any ideas?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 15, 2019

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

My E92 (N52) is putting out slightly more smoke than I think is normal.

Need more info. When is it smoking? Start up, all the time etc. If it’s not white what color is it? I assume the smoke is coming from the tail pipe and that you’re not losing appreciable amounts of oil.

On a N52 the VCG is always at the top of the list for leaks.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tail pipe, yeah. Don't seem to be losing oil but I should check again. It's clear-white, but fairly wispy. More on start-up, but also does when I'm sitting in traffic.

I've only had the car since late August, and I had it PPI'd at two different places to check for valve cover leaks and they found none. I also looked under there myself and didn't see any leaks, but I am fairly new to doing car poo poo myself.

My main concern is that it could be coolant and I'm misidentifying it

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tail pipe, yeah. Don't seem to be losing oil but I should check again. It's clear-white, but fairly wispy. More on start-up, but also does when I'm sitting in traffic.

I've only had the car since late August, and I had it PPI'd at two different places to check for valve cover leaks and they found none. I also looked under there myself and didn't see any leaks, but I am fairly new to doing car poo poo myself.

Are you losing coolant? First thing to monitor.

Also, not joking, where are you located? Any chance that it's condensation you're seeing? I had that the first morning after I got the Passat, I cold-started and saw a bit of smoke in the rear... thought "oh poo poo," only to realize a few moments later that it was just condensation. Also keep in mind that condensation can show even in when the outside temperature is over 50*, depending on atmospheric conditions.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The smoke is clearly coming out of the tailpipe, right? A valve cover gasket leak might produce smoke from under the hood or potentially from some weird places if it's dripping on the exhaust in a strange way, but not from the tailpipe. Keep a close eye on your coolant levels. That's the main thing to be concerned about.

I know this is going to seem obvious and dumb, but it's definitely not just water vapor from condensation? I've never owned a car with an N52, but I've owned a ton of BMWs and they've all produced suspiciously large amounts of vapor in cold weather. I always notice other BMWs doing it when I'm sitting around at stoplights too. I've talked to two indie BMW mechanics about it in the past and never got a better answer than "yeah, they do." In very cold weather, it'd take my E46s a solid 20-30 minutes to stop producing at least some vapor at idle.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 15, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm in MA, so it could feasibly be condensation, but given the smell I'm a bit worried. I'll monitor coolant levels and see if it's still putting out as much smoke after my next hourlong trip to the weed store. Thanks guys

e: My tires still only have about 800 miles on them, maybe that has something to do with the smell?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anything coming out of your exhaust is gonna smell kinda funky, even water vapour. Is it a really strong smell? Or just something you notice when you are trying to smell it?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This isn't me huffing the exhaust, this is like, me getting out of my car in the garage and there being a noticeable rubbery burning smell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you maybe drift into your garage?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

...Do you not?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

it's not dripping coolant/oil onto the pavement
If your car still has the engine belly pan, you won't see drops on the ground. You can drop the belly pan if you can get under the car a bit, and see if you find anything on it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

e: My tires still only have about 800 miles on them, maybe that has something to do with the smell?

Did you get an alignment? Tires seriously scrubbing can make a smell. Well, that and burnouts. Are you continually doing burnouts? If so, then no problem is indicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

If your car still has the engine belly pan, you won't see drops on the ground. You can drop the belly pan if you can get under the car a bit, and see if you find anything on it.
No lift or jacks here :(

meatpimp posted:

Did you get an alignment? Tires seriously scrubbing can make a smell. Well, that and burnouts. Are you continually doing burnouts? If so, then no problem is indicated.
I did get an alignment...two actually, before I discovered my tires were factory defective and had Michelin replace them under warranty.

e: Coolant level is right atm, whew.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 15, 2019