Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
This best part of all this is being able to wash my social media accounts of people I haven't talked to since high school posting memes of Trudeau in black face or Jangmeet Singh holding a "gently caress the Police" sign with the underlying text saying "ThEy GoT tO kEeP tHeIr JoBs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyone say "Cherry gets popped" yet?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

a false posted:

'liking dogs' and being an lgbtq+ advocate are not really the same thing

To be fair, it's not just liking dogs, Cherry has done a lot for the SPCA/animal cruelty which is commendable. Not enough forgive all his other bullshit though.

I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised at just how big a deal poppies are in Canada. We have them where I am (New Zealand) but no-one gives a poo poo if you don't wear them. Is this a recent thing? Like how NZ's attitude on war has gotten a lot more jingoistic since the actual WWI vets died off?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

To be fair, it's not just liking dogs, Cherry has done a lot for the SPCA/animal cruelty which is commendable. Not enough forgive all his other bullshit though.

I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised at just how big a deal poppies are in Canada. We have them where I am (New Zealand) but no-one gives a poo poo if you don't wear them. Is this a recent thing? Like how NZ's attitude on war has gotten a lot more jingoistic since the actual WWI vets died off?

Yep, it's become super jingoistic in the last decade or so. The last Conservative government really tried to push Canada's wars as a source of national pride, to the point where the Ontario Conservative Government was running ads this year telling people to do their duty, buy a poppy, and attend a service. gently caress all that poo poo.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

JawKnee posted:

congrats!

goldrush posted:

This is what is known as "the trifecta"

Congrats :woop:

edit: also, I have a potential game-changer since you've been gone: have you heard of one "Elias Pettersson" ?

Arabian Jesus posted:

Congratulations :)

Aww thanks you guys! I still think fondly back to that time I met up with another Canucks fan goon for game 5 of the WCF in 2011 and we ended up poo poo faced downtown where he whacked several people with my flag. :j: Good times.

Also I have asked a much better informed co worker about this “Elias” guy and I am very intrigued. I need a way to watch the game though cause I don’t have cable or HockeyStreams (rip) anymore.

Ps get poo poo on Don, your kidney car commercial is loving grating

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

HootTheOwl posted:

Anyone say "Cherry gets popped" yet?

cherry gets poppied

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/RoyalCdnLegion/status/1193999991557312515?s=19

Missed from yesterday, but Cherry supporters going after the Legion. Because of course.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Posting in a SAS NHL Reunion Thread

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Drunk Canuck posted:

Missed from yesterday, but Cherry supporters going after the Legion. Because of course.

top 10 anime betrayals

ya hate to see it folks

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Drunk Canuck posted:

Funnier and funnier.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, people are, uh, quitting(?) the legion over this? loving lol. Man, racists are dumb af.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

a false posted:

also what proof is there that brian burke is a lovely person other than being grumpy in public a lot and being bad at building hockey teams

In the run up to be Cherry's successor he's done a lot of "just asking questions" and "special snowflake participation award" kind of stuff. He's also come down on the wrong side of a hit or a fight that I've seen quite a few times (e.g. "honest hockey play", "we can't take this out of the game", etc.).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

Lol, people are, uh, quitting(?) the legion over this? loving lol. Man, racists are dumb af.

This rules so hard.

After all, the aesthetics of militarism are first and foremost for those who see in the military virtues they wish to but can not possess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Chicken Doodle posted:

Aww thanks you guys! I still think fondly back to that time I met up with another Canucks fan goon for game 5 of the WCF in 2011 and we ended up poo poo faced downtown where he whacked several people with my flag. :j: Good times.

Also I have asked a much better informed co worker about this “Elias” guy and I am very intrigued. I need a way to watch the game though cause I don’t have cable or HockeyStreams (rip) anymore.

Welcome back Chicken Doodle!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

that will teach em

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Chicken Doodle posted:

It was only one! And the flag was 6 feet long and there were thousands of people, it was bound to happen :colbert: At least the victim was a good sport about it.

Glad to see you're doing well.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i made a thing

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1194429194631073793

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Probably after Tucker Carlson interviews him tonight.

I was off by one night:

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1194431282660265985?s=21

Edit: ^^:argh:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Edit: beaten

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/twolinepass/status/1194430981962379265

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
A sidenote:

Apparently the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council got so many complaints about Cherry's racist comments that it overloaded their reporting system. They had to stop taking complaints online and start asking people to write in, instead.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...verwhelmed.html

I know, I know, it's a Canadian Crown corporation, so the number of complaints required could be in the single digits, but it's still funny.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Drunk Canuck posted:

Man, it's almost like jacking off the military was thinly veiled racism.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I am certain Tucker lectured him on how he should "stick to sports".

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Royal Canadian Legion are the real fascists is a powerful galaxy brain take.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
A chastened Don Cherry making a Canadian media tour to get his job back is something, blowing it by going on American television to make it worse is even more something.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

fisting by many posted:

It was only one! And the flag was 6 feet long and there were thousands of people, it was bound to happen :colbert: At least the victim was a good sport about it.

Glad to see you're doing well.

DUDE, YOU'RE HERE! I was just telling my husband about that moment, lol. Glad to see you're around too! drat I've missed you guys.

grack posted:

A sidenote:

Apparently the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council got so many complaints about Cherry's racist comments that it overloaded their reporting system. They had to stop taking complaints online and start asking people to write in, instead.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...verwhelmed.html

I know, I know, it's a Canadian Crown corporation, so the number of complaints required could be in the single digits, but it's still funny.

I'm going to write a VERY STERN LETTER is extremely Canadian so I'm not surprised by this in the least.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Another Bill posted:

The Royal Canadian Legion are the real fascists is a powerful galaxy brain take.

I mean, in a very tangential way, yeah. That said, the racists think the legion is bad for very different and VERY stupid reasons.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Of course Cherry went on Tucker Carlson. Nothing like going on the white nationalist tv show to show you were actually being racist

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

"I'm going out on my own terms" man is quoted as saying from the gallows

"I shouldnt have said 'Those People'. I should have hid my racism better. Maybe something like 'They'" area man states after dog whistle racism is loud enough for humans to hear

"You can't fire me, I'm ignorant!"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Don Cherry seemed legit confused when Tucker started talking about fascism and also when Tucker praised rural Quebec.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I love the genuine pity for a guy who "lost his job" for being an unapologetic poo poo at age eighty loving five.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Has anybody mentioned how stupid David Booth is yet?
https://twitter.com/wholegrainne/status/1194045606924148736?s=19

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

goldrush posted:

Has anybody mentioned how stupid David Booth is yet?
https://twitter.com/wholegrainne/status/1194045606924148736?s=19

David Booth suffered a number of serious head injuries

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The fact that it's David Booth who managed that spectacular gently caress up and also that terrible opinion surprises me exactly zero percent.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Man I haven’t been around for years and even I remember David Booth as a loving hick.

Edit: “It was a mistake” he says, after saying he wouldn’t apologize for something that clearly wasn’t a mistake.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/don-cherry-firing-reaction-nhl-1.5356870

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

eXXon posted:

Dude loving love dogs so much I'm surprised that he didn't pass out from whistling at them on air.
So what you’re saying is that Don Cherry likes dog whistles?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Could someone with no self-esteem watch this and confirm that Cherry actually does start blabbering about Max Domi.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fuckin Max. I knew I couldn't count on ties son to be smart.

Saw a good one just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

yellowcar posted:

i made a thing

oh you rear end in a top hat