Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

while I’m fine with the player character not having much personality, it confuses me that they sometimes speak out loud but extremely rarely; I would expect the character to either say nothing at all or say a lot more than they currently do, because it’s really weird for them to stay silent for a whole campaign just to say one or two 5-word sentences in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

while I’m fine with the player character not having much personality, it confuses me that they sometimes speak out loud but extremely rarely; I would expect the character to either say nothing at all or say a lot more than they currently do, because it’s really weird for them to stay silent for a whole campaign just to say one or two 5-word sentences in the middle

The ghost does most of the talking because he can hear the player character's thoughts. The player character only talks when he can't chime in or they're really worked up.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

BadLlama posted:

I am finding it was more fun to run around with the Monte Carolo just tossing out throwing knives every couple seconds then it probably should be.

Does the Monte Carlo not have a catalyst? I didn't know that was a thing that could happen.

Out of the 60 exotic weapons that are in the game, 35 have catalyst.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

wiegieman posted:

The ghost does most of the talking because he can hear the player character's thoughts. The player character only talks when he can't chime in or they're really worked up.

I love the gag they made about this in the cutscenes when you first find Cayde on Nessus:

https://youtu.be/YAHk9zWDXhg

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i had a good time in IB yesterday

finished off my bounties, then romped about on the moon in the altars event and actually managed to kill the stage 5 boss successfully, AND finally completed the seasonal void/arc moon kills triumphs

sadly today my tummy hurts :(

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Peewi posted:

Out of the 60 exotic weapons that are in the game, 35 have catalyst.

So you just don't get to be an orb man with those 25?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ijyt posted:

I'm really wondering if Shaxx is the reason Destiny's PvP is the first I've stuck with since Halo, or if it's just because Bungie has some sort of magic to it.

I like it when he runs out of words and just screams. :3:

A very large part of Destiny 2's PVP draw is that you get to use the things that you've earned against other players.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hakkesshu posted:

d2checklist.com gives you a list of every weapon it considers a god roll, and automatically stars traits for each weapon. You can probably argue that it isn't super accurate in every instance, but it quickly gives you a good idea of what is at least worth trying out.

Edit: As an example, is rangefinder/high impact that good of a combo? Combined with range masterwork and accurized rounds it might be.

Oh my 450+ weapons it says I have 32 godrolls. And 120 weapons that came up in the fix me filter that could have god rolls.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also this happened

https://streamable.com/7u7gw

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kith posted:

A very large part of Destiny 2's PVP draw is that you get to use the things that you've earned against other players.

It is also super forgiving and doesn't make players feel like losses are a complete waste of time.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Glenn Quebec posted:

Never will betray Daddy Shaxx and Momma Zavala for Drifter's strange.

I think Cayde did. There's some lore entry or something I think that implies he used to run with the Drifter and Gambit was actually his idea. Or something.

DrNutt posted:

Also, did you know that despite being created by the Traveler, ghosts are just as much in the dark about poo poo as we are? They are just bumbling along, finding and resurrecting dead humans because that's just what they are supposed to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P1V_SSIPAo

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ghosts are stupid. They always just have dumbass snarky bullshit or sass. It's the worst. I'd rather have a real character be queueing me in on things or god forbid have the player character do things.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

That video is gold. That poor bastard. My supers are very similar :downsgun:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ijyt posted:

I'm really wondering if Shaxx is the reason Destiny's PvP is the first I've stuck with since Halo, or if it's just because Bungie has some sort of magic to it.

I like it when he runs out of words and just screams. :3:

You might also be under the spell of this

This is Amazing! Writing the Supportive Space Coach in 'Destiny'

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Destiny writing has always been awful aside from a few bright spots from The Taken King that they're still coasting on and some admittedly pretty good worldbuilding.

Luckily thats not a dealbreaker for me.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I always play Destiny 2 pvp like it is a standard arena shooter forgetting that people get to come in the game with crazy guns and everyone is a space magician with special abilities.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Every loving game.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ijyt posted:

Every loving game.

You grinding Recluse? Be happy to help you with that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Meridian posted:

You grinding Recluse? Be happy to help you with that.

I want to do this too but I need to play rdr2 cause it's season is coming to a close

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

I want to do this too but I need to play rdr2 cause it's season is coming to a close

Well I'm always around and down to get sweaty.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm too tilted already but tomorrow for sure. I got my first actual win right after that game and then back to losing. I wish this poo poo was best of 3 and not 4 rounds long.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

since my ghost is now a cat, I’m going to interpret that to mean every death now has a very real chance of being my last because it will be too distracted with staring at a bird or licking its butt to remember to revive me

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ijyt posted:

I'm too tilted already but tomorrow for sure. I got my first actual win right after that game and then back to losing. I wish this poo poo was best of 3 and not 4 rounds long.

I know what you mean, best of 7 feels pretty long. just mentally grueling- if you're winning you just want it done, if you're losing hard you just want it done, if it's even it goes on forever, if you're slightly losing it's a long climb back with no guarantee

however I think it's also basically the only semi-viable way to recover from a lovely first two rounds. Most likely if a team decisively won the first two rounds they'll have a super or two or be very near, while the other team is nowhere close- if its first to 5, they can just go all in on the third round and clinch it easy.

but if they need a fourth win, they can't go all-in on the third so the losing team has a bit of a chance, and by the fourth round the losing team should be getting supers as well, and can counter or turn the tides. It's still an uphill battle but it's a bit more possible than otherwise

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ijyt posted:

Every loving game.

You couldn't have lost that much glory. One guy on your team had a .09 KDR!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There is a lot of strategy with regards to when to spend supers, drawing out a won round to recover cooldowns and charge supers etc but one major thing in Freelance Survival is often a team will get up ahead 3-0 and lose 3-4 for whatever reason. Call it unable to close the game or whatever but there's definitely a short wave of overconfidence that makes solo players play worse and suddenly their supers aren't matching up well with the opponents' or oh no they picked up Tractor or Leviathan and our super advantage is suddenly not

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

ijyt posted:

Every loving game.

Peep this old school D1 survival poo poo lol

Gah!!!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Idk why people don't use bows more in PvP they are phenomenal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because their TTK is garbage and you need a second gun to have any chance of being competitive with them.

They're fine if you like to sit in the back, spam lanes and watch your teammates finish up the kills you couldn't.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Eej posted:

There is a lot of strategy with regards to when to spend supers, drawing out a won round to recover cooldowns and charge supers etc but one major thing in Freelance Survival is often a team will get up ahead 3-0 and lose 3-4 for whatever reason. Call it unable to close the game or whatever but there's definitely a short wave of overconfidence that makes solo players play worse and suddenly their supers aren't matching up well with the opponents' or oh no they picked up Tractor or Leviathan and our super advantage is suddenly not

I've definitely had games with pubs on the freelance list where we absolutely ran over the other team in the first round then could not win another afterwards. Also close-ish games where we could NOT close the gap and pull ahead but I'm a PVP bad so I wasn't exactly able to carry lol

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wamdoodle posted:

I've definitely had games with pubs on the freelance list where we absolutely ran over the other team in the first round then could not win another afterwards. Also close-ish games where we could NOT close the gap and pull ahead but I'm a PVP bad so I wasn't exactly able to carry lol

Yeah I have had this happen several times to me. Also have had multiple times people take multiple shotgun blasts to the face and not die as well as getting two tapped from across the map. There seems to be a LOT of hackers in Survival especially right now. We had a guy run into the middle of us, start dancing while not taking damage and then pop us all instantly.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

xzzy posted:

Because their TTK is garbage and you need a second gun to have any chance of being competitive with them.

They're fine if you like to sit in the back, spam lanes and watch your teammates finish up the kills you couldn't.

Hm

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

You couldn't have lost that much glory. One guy on your team had a .09 KDR!

Can't lose what you've never gained. :negative:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Anyone else loving the Claw of the Wolf in PvP? It melts people and is like a laser beam.

In PvE it does not feel great. Doesn't seem to do enough damage, but it might be because I got bad rolls on it's traits.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hell yeah, Rapid Fire Pulses are amazing in pvp

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

COTW is a great gun. I like my energy slot for special weapons though.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hell yeah, Rapid Fire Pulses are amazing in pvp

So it seems. poo poo doesn't feel fair sometimes.

Glenn Quebec posted:

COTW is a great gun. I like my energy slot for special weapons though.

Yeah, now my kinetic is a shotgun. Which is fine but yeah...

In order to get the Handcannon mission in PvP done I was using my Crimson, and I am not gonna lie, it was pretty nice. I need to bite the bullet and just grind out the Recluse. I watched some videos of people using it and that poo poo does not seem fair.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mesadoram posted:

So it seems. poo poo doesn't feel fair sometimes.

Yeah, now my kinetic is a shotgun. Which is fine but yeah...

In order to get the Handcannon mission in PvP done I was using my Crimson, and I am not gonna lie, it was pretty nice. I need to bite the bullet and just grind out the Recluse. I watched some videos of people using it and that poo poo does not seem fair.

Got an Outlaw/Rampage Duke and it loving owns.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Got a Duke with rangefinder and kill clip. I put better acquisition on it to be more casual about headshots

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
How do people feel about full auto trigger on a rapid fire pulse? I have a claws of the wolf with it and it feels really nice even though it's objectively worse than another one I have with outlaw/killclip. I think not having to hammer the mouse makes my aim better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

MMF Freeway posted:

How do people feel about full auto trigger on a rapid fire pulse? I have a claws of the wolf with it and it feels really nice even though it's objectively worse than another one I have with outlaw/killclip. I think not having to hammer the mouse makes my aim better.

I like full auto on every pulse for that very reason.