Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

all of this is theoretical, because yosos will never be built. the last year of its development history will be a bunch of commits reversing and re-applying massive changes to the brace style of the codebase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
all the development coordination takes place in a thread in shsc

the op of the thread and most of the main contributors are either banned or perma probed

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

50 people doing concept art
20 people starting the wiki
1 person doing all the coding (visits the forum once every 3 months, posts only in BSS)

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer
the coding standard for yosos calls for alternating tabs and spaces

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
it will never, ever be open sourced because it contains code from the windows nt/2000 source code leak from the mid 00’s.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Laslow posted:

it will never, ever be open sourced because it contains code from the windows nt/2000 source code leak from the mid 00’s.

all crypto uses the windows nsakey, but ironically

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

shared libraries are loaded from waffleimages hosting

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
YOSOS supports SMP, but only with prime numbers of CPUs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
In the YOSOS implementation, 1 is prime.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

YOSOS supports SMP, but only with prime numbers of CPUs
fibonacci numbers

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

rotor posted:

/dev/random returns the next 32 bits from that xkcd "return 4; //generated by the roll of a fair die" jpeg

AMD has already implemented this part of yosos at the hardware layer

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/how-a-months-old-amd-microcode-bug-destroyed-my-weekend/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

It looks like it's Linux-only though, so only garbage people will be affected effected affected impacted by it?

:shrug:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
YOSBIOS gets around this by having microcode that replaces any 0xFFFFFFFF value sent to the CPU with a random number

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

AMD 5th column exists in yospos

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
yosos won't let you browse to any university that isn't BS CS top 50

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Schadenboner posted:

affected effected affected
it really isn't hard

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
schadenboner having a big wetly one today

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
edit: what

jimmyjams fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 8, 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
yosos is actually the plural. if you only have one copy it’s called yoos.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the popup is disabled if YOSOS is connected to a token ring network

why would you support inferior non-token networks to start with?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it really isn't hard

i know, right?

the rainstorms we are experiencing were effected by the heavy moisture load coming off the ocean.

i went to see a stage hypnotist the other day and he had a powerful affect.

idk what's so confusing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

i know, right?

the rainstorms we are experiencing were effected by the heavy moisture load coming off the ocean.

i went to see a stage hypnotist the other day and he had a powerful affect.

idk what's so confusing

thanks I hate it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
regardless of edge cases schadenboner's confusion was blatantly affected

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the YOSOS license specifically prohibits uninstallation of YOSOS from a computer once installed

reinstallation is allowed on a case-by-case basis; individuals who wish to do so must post a thread on YOSPOS requesting permission. if the average thread rating after thirty days does not exceed 4.9, the request is considered to have been denied.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the YOSOS license specifically prohibits uninstallation of YOSOS from a computer once installed

reinstallation is allowed on a case-by-case basis; individuals who wish to do so must post a thread on YOSPOS requesting permission. if the average thread rating after thirty days does not exceed 4.9, the request is considered to have been denied.

ah the old yospos pithc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

all of this is theoretical, because yosos will never be built. the last year of its development history will be a bunch of commits reversing and re-applying massive changes to the brace style of the codebase

actually all 7 brace styles are 100% interchangeable

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
YOSOS Office brings back the Microsoft Office Assistant. but in the form of YOSOS Office Dancers, including Oyster, Celery Man, and Tayne (beta)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jimmyjams posted:

YOSOS Office brings back the Microsoft Office Assistant. but in the form of YOSOS Office Dancers, including Oyster, Celery Man, and Tayne (beta)

this, but it spies on you, and also has constant product placement

like bonzi buddy but literally impossible to uninstall

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

like bonzi buddy but literally impossible to uninstall

the kernel has some dependencies to it

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
the built in yos-ide's project creation wizard only creates a wiki

no matter what language you start the project in the ide mocks you and selects another at random

in order to protect your intellectual property your code is obfuscated as you write it

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
friday night mode: between 5pm friday and 12pm saturday yosos blocks you from making any online purchases or contacting former romantic partners

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey no need to talk about incest mate

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

hey no need to talk about incest mate

M8.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
every application is electron and can’t look too much alike existing applications. sort of like how you can’t change your password to something too similar under some orgs’ policies.

not only will everything look like a visual trainwreck when you have multiple programs up, but before you know it all of the usable, reasonable and functional designs will be taken and all new apps will have to look like ridiculous winamp skins to even get approval for distribution on the yosappstore.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Laslow posted:

every application is electron and can’t look too much alike existing applications. sort of like how you can’t change your password to something too similar under some orgs’ policies.

not only will everything look like a visual trainwreck when you have multiple programs up, but before you know it all of the usable, reasonable and functional designs will be taken and all new apps will have to look like ridiculous winamp skins to even get approval for distribution on the yosappstore.

idgi this is just a regular os in 2019

yosos would have all the apps written in flash

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

so how is this different from non-yosos

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plank Walker posted:

idgi this is just a regular os in 2019

yosos would have all the apps written in flash

hows this different from electron

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
YOSOS does not support multiple monitors for individual user sessions. if you have multiple monitors attached to a YOSOS computer, on bootup each monitor will display its own login screen, and you will have to have a keyboard connected for each session you want to drive.

however, an attached mouse will control the pointer in all sessions simultaneously

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
YOSOS's implementation of the IrDA standards is flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
every 219th boot the bootscreen is replaced with hello.jpeg