Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tall Tale Teller posted:

And the thing about thin burgers being better? Absolutely true.

This was the biggest lesson I had to teach myself after a childhood of my dad making thick patties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Favourite recipes from the cookbook?

I've made the Scotch Eggs like dozens of times.

I'm makin Ray's oven fries right this second

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I tried Lyle's Microwaved Egg Muffin a few years back and liked it so much ("this is so easy!") that I started making it for breakfast every morning. Eventually I moved on, now I have a little nonstick pan that is exactly the right size for making a one egg omelette and a dedicated cast iron skillet for browning a veggie sausage; I make this sandwich every weekday and it takes me about 10 minutes. I eat it at my desk at work with a cup of coffee; by 8:25 AM I fold up the little rectangle of aluminium foil I wrapped it in and lament that the best part of my day is over. Thank you, Achewood cookbook, for getting me started in the right direction.

I think about making The Dogg is Home for myself every now as a treat, before I remember that heart disease took my grandfather down and it's probably going to get me too, eventually.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

JethroMcB posted:

I tried Lyle's Microwaved Egg Muffin a few years back and liked it so much ("this is so easy!") that I started making it for breakfast every morning. Eventually I moved on, now I have a little nonstick pan that is exactly the right size for making a one egg omelette and a dedicated cast iron skillet for browning a veggie sausage; I make this sandwich every weekday and it takes me about 10 minutes. I eat it at my desk at work with a cup of coffee; by 8:25 AM I fold up the little rectangle of aluminium foil I wrapped it in and lament that the best part of my day is over. Thank you, Achewood cookbook, for getting me started in the right direction.

I think about making The Dogg is Home for myself every now as a treat, before I remember that heart disease took my grandfather down and it's probably going to get me too, eventually.

What brand of veggie sausage do you use? I've never found one I really liked-- I've had good veggie brats and stuff but not a good salty breakfast hockey puck.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

Never almost have heart disease, dude. It ain't no way to live.

"The Dogg is Home" is one of the most perfectly Achewood names for a recipe that there could be, but it's almost impossible to explain why.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Archyduchess posted:

What brand of veggie sausage do you use? I've never found one I really liked-- I've had good veggie brats and stuff but not a good salty breakfast hockey puck.

Morningstar Farms; I dunno if I'd eat at pattie on its own but it's great for an ersatz McMuffin. I stick to the regular variety because you can get those in a big 12 pack, but the spicy and maple varieties are also good (maple is especially good in and egg and cheese sandwich, just the right amount of sweetness to offset the sodium assault.)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I don't think barbers should make much money

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

JethroMcB posted:

Morningstar Farms; I dunno if I'd eat at pattie on its own but it's great for an ersatz McMuffin. I stick to the regular variety because you can get those in a big 12 pack, but the spicy and maple varieties are also good (maple is especially good in and egg and cheese sandwich, just the right amount of sweetness to offset the sodium assault.)

the morningstar spicy patties are the best frozen veggie faux-meat ive found, definitely recommend. though "spicy" is hardly true, but they do have a better flavor than the regular ones to me.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Does anybody else’s cookbook have a drawing in it?

Mine has Ray in a chef’s hat accidentally drawn on Beef’s body.
Mine has Ray telling me to drink alcohol

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 10, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr. Dick posted:

For those craving more achewood content, Pat appears to be posting on reddit and getting upvotes

Ah, yes, /r/collapse, for people who like the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement but don't enjoy its general lack of angry superiority.

I think this cat's definitely in Pat's general wheelhouse, but the lack of Onstadian vocabulary is either a tell or a clever disguise. The idea of Pat as a doomsday prepper is a fun mental exercise, though; I can see him being really upset that it's difficult to stay vegan while stocking your isolated mountain cabin with sixty five-pound buckets of preserved carbohydrates.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/OliverSava/status/1193961606251712519?s=19

Achewood in print coming next summer!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

And it’ll have the blogs and stuff! Hell yes!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

That's dope

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

CannonFodder posted:

Mine has Ray telling me to drink alcohol

Awww yeah. Here we go.

Tall Tale Teller fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 11, 2019

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
A book so hell of wispy a spider covets

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wonder what finally prompted this. Did people start attacking Onstad on the street, grabbing him by the face and screaming at him to take their money?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

Mr. Smuckles, I estimate that at auction this piece would fetch over six hundred million dollars.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope Oni Press is more honest and less willing to commit felony fraud and grand theft than Onstad himself. I'll buy this collection.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
oh boy

I guess the "honor" shop is gone now?

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 11, 2019

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.achewood.com/honorclub.php still works, but the link is gone from the front page.

Sudden realization that this is the third time I'll be buying the early strips in book form 🤔

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 11, 2019

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

projecthalaxy posted:

I hope Oni Press is more honest and less willing to commit felony fraud and grand theft than Onstad himself. I'll buy this collection.

Honestly I would be fine with it and certainly not bitch about it for a decade if they did.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So where can you get the cookbook nowadays? All the recipes sound great.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Pershing posted:

http://www.achewood.com/honorclub.php

Top option, pay or don't

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Halloween Jack posted:

I wonder what finally prompted this. Did people start attacking Onstad on the street, grabbing him by the face and screaming at him to take their money?

I suspect it is the steady business of he and his kid selling original art on Instagram. Pieces barely last more than a day before being sold.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

quote:

He’s diving deep into the world of Achewood for this project, which collects the main strip, Ray’s advice column, blogs, zines, prose pieces, recipes, and rare strips from other websites. Above are six strips hand-picked by Butcher that appear in the first collection.

Welp, hopefully the print collections are sturdy enough form a house out of since it seems I'll be selling mine to get these.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jet Jaguar posted:

I suspect it is the steady business of he and his kid selling original art on Instagram. Pieces barely last more than a day before being sold.

Try minutes. It's a little nuts.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
when can I preorder the Compleat Canonical Achewood

mostly so Onstad can feed his children or whatever

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I wondered why the master-list at https://11viaverde.github.io/ had Concordance crossed out, maybe they were asked to remove it in advance of these books coming out

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I guess Onstad finally took Ray's advice and got it done, son.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pershing posted:

has anyone ever attempted to make Blammin' Slammin' Oh Man Am I Jammin' Enchilada Stackers?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"Mr. Quiet's spinner landed on the tombstone" is perfect. I had forgotten.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ullerrm posted:

I guess Onstad finally took Ray's advice and got it done, son.

He took a gently caress you Friday for a spin?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

has anyone ever attempted to make Blammin' Slammin' Oh Man Am I Jammin' Enchilada Stackers?

This comic has given me more of an idea of what it's actually like to live in the US than visiting there has. I can just picture this kind of restaurant.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
IHOP is a conspiracy to make very serious goths pronounce the phrase "Rooty Tooty Fresh'n'Fruity."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

IHOP is a conspiracy to make very serious goths pronounce the phrase "Rooty Tooty Fresh'n'Fruity."

My grandad used to take me to ihop fairly regularly and would make me order the rooty tooty fresh and fruity and then he would order what i wanted and switch plates because he liked the rooty tooty fresh and fruity but refused to say that. Real power move.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've seen recipes for stacked enchilada stuff-- like kind of a lasagna-- on cooking blogs here and there and, as a kid, in my mom's magazines once in awhile. I think it's one of those extremely not authenticity-adjacent Americana hybrids that Onstad has always had a really good instinct for. Like just this ruthless middle-class instinct to make any and all foods from other cultures into a casserole at whatever cost (I also remember my mom making lots of Mexican Lasagnas and Tex-Mex Pot Pies and Taco Pizzas etc. which, honestly, I uniformly loved).

So yeah the enchilada stacker. I'm pretty sure I could make one, but could I make it blammin'? Could I make it slammin'? And could it make anyone jam? Well I'm not so arrogant as to presume.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 13, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That moment when you find yourself thinking "oh man, but am I jamming"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Archyduchess posted:

I've seen recipes for stacked enchilada stuff-- like kind of a lasagna-- on cooking blogs here and there and, as a kid, in my mom's magazines once in awhile. I think it's one of those extremely not authenticity-adjacent Americana hybrids that Onstad has always had a really good instinct for. Like just this ruthless middle-class instinct to make any and all foods from other cultures into a casserole at whatever cost (I also remember my mom making lots of Mexican Lasagnas and Tex-Mex Pot Pies and Taco Pizzas etc. which, honestly, I uniformly loved).

So yeah the enchilada stacker. I'm pretty sure I could make one, but could I make it blammin'? Could I make it slammin'? And could it make anyone jam? Well I'm not so arrogant as to presume.

New Mexico enchiladas are stacked and have probably been that way since before NM joined the Union.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Archyduchess posted:

Depends. Does it include donkey sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Straight up my favorite pot-luck entree is Enchilada Rotini there is nothing wrong or inherently colonialist about liking fusion cuisine.

You ever had a mashed potato quesadilla? It’s BONKERS.