Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

quote:

More than $200 million of fan's money over the best part of a decade, at least two corporate loans and undisclosed private investment all for a bare-bones Alpha that barely works and has the balls to sell DLC items for hundreds and even thousands of dollars.

I mean, ok, put like that I think he has a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

just another way to write "It's not meant to be fun", innit
[/quote]

:wrong:

"It's not mean to be cheap" ('cuz expensive = good)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Aaaaaaany day now the production will drastically speed up, promise

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Or they're currently using a scaled system that means that they have to do a scale conversion on a floating point number (with arbitrary precision) and swallow the over-under, which gives uncertainty.

This is an illustrative example, and not real code.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Citizen: All they need to do is develop their product.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I just wanted a modern freelancer.
I didn't give a poo poo about walking around some stupid moon.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsRnowUI6Do

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sabreseven posted:

:lol:

How long before they get to the point where they turn up in maternity wards trying to flog off positions at CInotG to the 'recently birthed' future software developers?

I mean, it just seems 'wrong' to me to be going into educational facilities where students have no life experience and trying to slyly sneak out advertisment for an unmade product while also recruiting said younglings. It seems, scummy, which I guess is CInotG's favored strategy for just about everything.

They may as well just write on their twatter page "Hey, look at all this stuff we sell that doesn't exist, come work for us before your moral compass develops or at least before you see how others actually make real things"

It's stunningly predatory. They're pushing a scam to people who don't have the sophistication to spot it. The normalization of their deviance by constantly exposing it, even to kids, is pretty hosed-up. I don't think there's any devious intent, though - just the pursuit of more money at any and all costs, no matter who is hurt.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

It's stunningly predatory. They're pushing a scam to people who don't have the sophistication to spot it. The normalization of their deviance by constantly exposing it, even to kids, is pretty hosed-up. I don't think there's any devious intent, though - just the pursuit of more money at any and all costs, no matter who is hurt.

Chris Roberts leaning against the wall outside a University job fair- "You know what I love about new development grads? The scam keeps getting older, but they stay the same age... Yes they do, yes they do..."

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:lol:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

gently caress, marry, kill: Elite, No Man's Sky, Star Citizen

You can't kill Star Citizen if it was never (a)live to begin with.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Chris Roberts leaning against the wall outside a University job fair- "You know what I love about new development grads? The scam keeps getting older, but they stay the same age... Yes they do, yes they do..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWUjF4IMCP0

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

As he flicks his cigarette butt onto the ground and takes another sip from his flask. The man and the legend bolstered by decades of "achievements" feels confident. Of course dressed in black while wearing a watch that would cost more than most cars.

"Hey kid, let me show you something."

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

CitizenCon 2019 leak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddTbNKWw7Zs

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

That reminds me. Where'd BNBL go to.

trucutru posted:

/Mirificus summon "Big Nipples Big Life" -t 10h -p 0

Beexoffel posted:

There was some painful discussion, after which he stopped posting.

I'd like to think that some day, when the time is right* the fav posters will return for a goodbye rooftop gig.

*CIG shuttering the offices

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Patrat posted:

The thing that really gets me is that this cult fanbase exists despite Chris Robert's track record.

I mean I was aware that Wing Commander games existed back in the day but they were never top of the line space sims? They were 'fairly decent' but not on par with say, X-Wing or later Tie Fighter. They were low 80s score games in the old video game magazines, not classics.

Freelancer was decent fun but again, not the best thing around even when it was freshly released. How did he ever manage to sell himself as being a Big Deal?

Edit: Kitten Tax:

Because Origin promoted him as such just like they did with Richard Garriott with the Ultima series. It was the just after the part where developers were hidden by Atari, it was all promoting and rockstar personalities running the show of the 90's because people wanted a face behind the games.

Now unlike others that era who failed to make headway because they couldn't manage a studio on their own or decided to act more a teamplayer because the times had changed from just 1-5 people making the game into a reality into 30-100 people doing bits to make it. Chris just kept believing himself to be the last of the rockstars to still be able to take on entire development teams like rockstar, the backers believe this so it's a loop based on a now 30yr old game that was largely forgotten by everyone who played more than 4 games in the 90's.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah this is Path of Exile's model, and honestly, it's not too bad. You just wait for a sale and spend like 5-10 bucks on all the stash space you'll ever need. Pretty much all the cosmetic stuff is only available through purchase, and while I find that stuff a little overpriced, it's such a generous game with how much free content you get that it feels a little dirty NOT to spend some money on it.

Yeah, for the amount of content they pump, GGG isnt really greedy. You also can dualbox it. <3 PoE.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
not that there aren't fav posters here now ofc

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
How many developers does Rockstar (and it's subs) have?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Big Nipples Big Life
Big Nipples Big Life
Big Nipples Big Life

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Lladre posted:

How many developers does Rockstar (and it's subs) have?

90 devs tops :v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Scruffpuff posted:

It's like they're trying to make their "game" real by casting spells. Let's make Lego ships that replicate Star Citizen ships! Let's replicate a scene from a movie trailer in game! Let's replicate a movie poster with CIG assets! Let's mention the actors Chris motion-captured!

If you do all these things, and never stop talking about Star Citizen, and you never drop the subject, and everything that exists in the world exists purely to create an artificial analogue in what few parts of Star Citizen are functional, then the game will come out! It's like clapping for Tinkerbell. Never stop bringing it up, never shut the gently caress up, and boom, the game comes out.

Way back when, I posted an effortpost about Cult thinking - about how everything is narrowed down into Good things and Bad things, sorted by how they make the citizen feel about his involvement in the game. Feel good? Praise Croberts! Feel bad or awkward or questioning? Evil Derek lies! Truth matters nothing, the only sorting method is the citizen's emotional reaction on the spot. Even material from CIG is branded a lie and rejected and associated with evil goons if it doesn't prop up the cultist's feelings.

Mostly we saw the bad, with everything from bad press to poor framerates laid at the feet of Derek and goons in a mighty conspiracy. But this is a rare example of the Good. All bad things are Derek, but also on the flipside all good things are somehow Star Citizen.

We saw past attempts to associate SC with real space launches, now we see efforts to associate it with Star Wars. Star Wars is good, therefore Star Citizen must be Star Wars somehow. Plus by associating SC with things that actually happen and get launched, a citizen can ride the coat-tails and feel a glimpse of promised glory.

Yes, it felt good when Star Wars was Star Wars'd, but imagine how much better it will be when Star Citizen is truly launched. Buy more ships.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

his nibs posted:

I'd like to think that some day, when the time is right* the fav posters will return for a goodbye rooftop gig.

*CIG shuttering the offices

MOMA's exciting cave gameplay victory lap is also long overdue. I want to hear how spelunking with sub-NMS levels of mechanics/content in this space game finally proves all of the haters wrong.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mr.PayDay posted:

"Every NPC will have their own individual 24-hour schedule periodically constructed for them based upon things like how the economy is doing and what’s happening and within the solar system. A prosperous, growing economy might be reflected by the streets being filled with businessmen, tourists, and shoppers by day, and bar patrons, restaurant diners, and revelers at night.
Criminal activity – muggings, vandalism, pickpocketing, and even assault – might rise significantly once the sun sets, especially in those areas off the beaten path or on planets facing economic hardship. Some stores will close at night, leaving travelers arriving at odd hours and in need of their services and/or products to either burn some time at one of the establishments open around the clock, or trying to find an alternative source for their needs, which might mean trying to strike a late-night deal in a dark alley with a character of questionable integrity."

Tony Zuvorec, November 2014, just 5 years ago.

First working Box grabbing environments, THEN living space with EVERY NPC dynamicly scripted, NEXT epic space battles with x thousands of players.
We are so close!

This is one of my favorite bits of dreams.txt to come out of CIG. Tony Z always spins some fever dream of a full universe simulation every time he opens his mouth.

In year 8 they can't even get basic FPS AI to work or even get background NPC's to walk a simple scripted path around a room, but revolutionary AI is right around the corner!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

colonelwest posted:

MOMA's exciting cave gameplay victory lap is also long overdue. I want to hear how spelunking with sub-NMS levels of mechanics/content in this space game finally proves all of the haters wrong.

MoMA is too busy watching Rexzilla on Facebook nowadays

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

MoMA is too busy watching Rexzilla on Facebook nowadays

Mostly because Rex is not longer playing much SC

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/ArrowstreakTV/status/1186483400657506304

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I didn’t know Ben was in the ZDF

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Holy poo poo that guy has had a few dinners

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
ZDFCon. seriously. the gently caress

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

colonelwest posted:

I like how No Man's Sky's caves were just a natural byproduct of the way the game works - if it weren't for the terrain manipulator I'd have permanently lost my character in more than one of those caves.

But in Star Citizen, they put hundreds of man hours of effort into stealing and replicating a horribly bad implementation of a feature another game didn't even feel the need to make special mention of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't be surprised if Chris eventually just tries to buy out Hello Games so they can "help" "finish" the "game"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

precision posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris eventually just tries to buy out Hello Games so they can "help" "finish" the "game"

I think it's more likely to have a Duke Nukem Forever scenario. At the last possible second, take the "IP" (:laffo:) and have a real, but bargain-basement, game development company cobble together an MVP, release it, run for the hills.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

There's even more to that one guy than meets the eye?

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

#ZDF #brotherhood until you have question the project or misplace your loyalty to Chris. At that point, GTFO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

colonelwest posted:

This is one of my favorite bits of dreams.txt to come out of CIG. Tony Z always spins some fever dream of a full universe simulation every time he opens his mouth.

In year 8 they can't even get basic FPS AI to work or even get background NPC's to walk a simple scripted path around a room, but revolutionary AI is right around the corner!

Well, they don't need the pathfinding or any part of the FPS AI to work to create a branching mission generator that relies on background data to pick out possibilities.

Of course right now they don't have either.