Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Golden Gael posted:

You now lose 10% of your health when Mimikyu's Disguise is busted

Wait, Disguise got nerfed? Or does it deal damage to whoever busted the disguise?

EDIT: Oh wow they actually nerfed it hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Radio Free Kobold posted:

are there any steel types in with good special defense? i'm planning on running a rock/steel/ground team and there's no shortage of physical 'mons (Steelix :swoon:) but i need to find a special wall.

Zamazenta :smug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

okay, so, I've tried to do my due diligence and figure out just what teh gently caress you're talking about, but all the discussion I can seem to find around Hidden Abilities/Powers seems to be people asking what they're all about

Hidden Power I just about get...it's a move that's always it's type, or something? okay, makes sense, maybe you need filler

but exactly what are Hidden Abilities, and why do people keep saying that the starter pokemon don't have them anyway yet we are talking as though they do

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Plasbad posted:

Good ol' Ferrothorn makes an excellent special steel-type wall.

he's got pretty good bulk all over doesn't he? plus iron defense and ingrain, yeah, yeah this is a good plante. thanks bud

sorry, i already bought sword

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Araxxor posted:

Wait, Disguise got nerfed? Or does it deal damage to whoever busted the disguise?

Lol it wasn’t even that bad. Annoying, but not some unstoppable monster like ORAS Aegislash.

Some early 2000s MMO level of balancing going on

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Super No Vacancy posted:

so they meant to make some of the moves look bad is this what im understanding

That move doesn't even look good either lol... It's a bunch of flashy particle effects while Tyranitar vaguely bends a little behind it. EVen the new G-Max special unique attacks are just like....big effects with little flavor or style. even the generic Z-Moves has a little pizazz to them.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 15, 2019

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Araxxor posted:

It's not a big nerf. All it does it stop people from spamming focus sash mimikyu in battle spot.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

are there any steel types in with good special defense? i'm planning on running a rock/steel/ground team and there's no shortage of physical 'mons (Steelix :swoon:) but i need to find a special wall.

Corviknight has good all around bulk + roost as an egg move :hai:

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
The nerf to Disguise isn't actually that bad, Mimikyu just takes 10% max HP damage when it's broken. The only thing it really stops is gimmicky Focus Sash sets.

E,F,B

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Supremezero posted:

Iunno. Every time I see it it's berry trees. Like, you can see the trainer over there. So it's just interactive things that pop in.

This doesn’t make it better man.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Epic High Five posted:

okay, so, I've tried to do my due diligence and figure out just what teh gently caress you're talking about, but all the discussion I can seem to find around Hidden Abilities/Powers seems to be people asking what they're all about

Hidden Power I just about get...it's a move that's always it's type, or something? okay, makes sense, maybe you need filler

but exactly what are Hidden Abilities, and why do people keep saying that the starter pokemon don't have them anyway yet we are talking as though they do

Hidden Power is a move whose type is determined by a pokemon's IVs and so can technically be any type if you're willing to jigger the numbers around behind the scenes (most commonly by hacking). Typically people run it as a last-ditch coverage move in competitive.

Hidden Abilities are alternate abilities that a 'mon can have instead of its normal one. Where normal abilities are generally unremarkable (ex. Flash Fire) with some exceptions (ex. Intimidate), Hidden Abilities are generally quite good, occasionally good enough to change the whole 'mon's playstyle (ex. Technician Breloom). Greninja/Scorbunny is a relevant example; Protean is a fantastically powerful ability. The thing is, you generally need to jump through a couple hoops to get a hidden ability (method varies by generation) or just hack it. In this case, the ability exists in the code and the pokemon can legally have it, but it's not normally obtainable and that makes people salty.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Corviknight has good all around bulk + roost as an egg move :hai:

I was already gonna be running Corviknight so that's great. Actually, metal bird boy (gonna name him Belkan) is one of the reasons I want to run a steel team. He's just so cool :allears:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
So does dynamax Shedinja get 2 hp or what

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hidden Power is a move whose type is determined by a pokemon's IVs and so can technically be any type if you're willing to jigger the numbers around behind the scenes (most commonly by hacking)

Hidden Abilities are alternate abilities that a 'mon can have instead of its normal one. Where normal abilities are generally unremarkable (ex. Flash Fire) with some exceptions (ex. Intimidate), Hidden Abilities are generally quite good, occasionally good enough to change the whole 'mon's playstyle (ex. Technician Breloom). Greninja/Scorbunny is a relevant example; Protean is a fantastically powerful ability. The thing is, you generally need to jump through a couple hoops to get a hidden ability (method varies by generation) or just hack it. In this case, the ability exists in the code and the pokemon can legally have it, but it's not normally obtainable and that makes people salty.

I was already gonna be running Corviknight so that's great. Actually, metal bird boy (gonna name him Belkan) is one of the reasons I want to run a steel team. He's just so cool :allears:

that seems like a very, very odd design choice. It exists and is listed but in many cases just simply cannot be activated?

so from what I've gathered, the best bet for unlocking it is breeding the pokemon, and if your starter isn't a female it's game over, never get HA town? When comp players here say they're going to get a Cinderace because of it, what's the path between "pick up starter" and "my pokemon now has Protean equivalent" look like?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Sobble is loving dead

RatHat posted:

I can’t believe Sobble is loving dead.

God drat it lol

so this is spiral power huh?
it's quite something

:imunfunny: My favorite scene of any anime

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 15, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Epic High Five posted:

that seems like a very, very odd design choice. It exists and is listed but in many cases just simply cannot be activated?

so from what I've gathered, the best bet for unlocking it is breeding the pokemon, and if your starter isn't a female it's game over, never get HA town? When comp players here say they're going to get a Cinderace because of it, what's the path between "pick up starter" and "my pokemon now has Protean equivalent" look like?

If you get a HA starter breeding with Ditto can pass it down at least as of Gen 7 IIRC it being a girl doesn't matter.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

For the starters, it's usually given away as some kind of event. For nearly every other Pokemon in this game, you can actually catch them with their Hidden Abilities through the Max Raid battles.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ah okay, so it's a pretty rare thing and you'll know for sure that it's happening when it does, sounds like they're usually or always passive bonuses and not actual skills?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I wanted to pick this up at 10 pm local time but I think I may go to bed and get it tomorrow. Sorry cute water starter that I wanted

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, that's the idea. Its a worm that ate a poisoned magic apple and turned into a wyrm.

Honestly, fantastic design.

Its a great concept, I just wish the eyes didn't look completely insane.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Consummate Professional posted:

I wanted to pick this up at 10 pm local time but I think I may go to bed and get it tomorrow. Sorry cute water starter that I wanted

I'm picking it up tomorrow morning and I will be spending most of the work day playing it. I have warned my boss in advance and all I'm expected to do is just pay enough attention to things that he doesn't get yelled at

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Dehry posted:

Everything should be online. It requires a $20 Nintendo Switch Online subscription to access however.

There are only 400 Pokemon in the Galar Pokedex and there will be no way to import others, though hackers have already started making their teams.

Oh man, thanks for the reminder that I needed to set up a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. My boyfriend and I are planning on playing with each other but I never play online games on my Switch so I never even looked at it. 20$ a year isn't bad at all though.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

ah okay, so it's a pretty rare thing and you'll know for sure that it's happening when it does, sounds like they're usually or always passive bonuses and not actual skills?

yeah don't confuse abilities with moves, moves are the 1 out of 4 things you pick every turn, abilities are passive effects that help further differentiate pokemon who might otherwise have similar types and stats and movepools

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, they're just different passive abilities that can cause you to play the Pokemon differently in battles. It's not always better, but for the starters it's usually more interesting than their basic abilities.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

thanks for the clarifications everybody! considering I plan to do zero PvP I now have zero worries about picking Sobble as my starter instead of the one (1) I had before. By the time they actually start doing events with it I'll probably have all 3 starters anyway, uhhh, somehow, I haven't figured this part out yet

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Epic High Five posted:

thanks for the clarifications everybody! considering I plan to do zero PvP I now have zero worries about picking Sobble as my starter instead of the one (1) I had before. By the time they actually start doing events with it I'll probably have all 3 starters anyway, uhhh, somehow, I haven't figured this part out yet

Once someone catches a Ditto and can breed their starter, it'll become a huge trading circle jerk where we'll all be able to have all three starters pretty quickly. No need to worry. :thumbsup:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That uh... doesn't seem particularly promising.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Very minor thing but I just cooked a curry so bad it was deemed to be 'Koffing Class' :laugh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nanigans posted:

Once someone catches a Ditto and can breed their starter, it'll become a huge trading circle jerk where we'll all be able to have all three starters pretty quickly. No need to worry. :thumbsup:

yea of all the choices to stress starters are low on the list, the wonder trade will soon be choked with people's rejects.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nanigans posted:

oh yeah that makes sense, I hope P2P trading is a thing instead of just rolling the dice

I haven't played a Pokemon game since red/blue (the batteries in my carts even still work!) and have no idea how it works, I just kind of assume that the franchise is still going to allow you to hang out with some pals and trade some 'mons while watching some JoJo like God intended the weekend to be spent

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Is the difficulty balancing as bad as they say? Will I just be one-shotting everything and completely bored the whole way through, or will I at least have to switch pokemon around and occasionally even attack twice?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That uh... doesn't seem particularly promising.

it looks like there's a path to the down-right direction--presumably with some more content--that is being pointedly ignored to pretend that route is smaller than it actually is

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Epic High Five posted:

oh yeah that makes sense, I hope P2P trading is a thing instead of just rolling the dice

I haven't played a Pokemon game since red/blue (the batteries in my carts even still work!) and have no idea how it works, I just kind of assume that the franchise is still going to allow you to hang out with some pals and trade some 'mons while watching some JoJo like God intended the weekend to be spent

P2P will work with friend codes, I think? So you can just ask for starters in this thread. There should also be a trading thread in the private game servers subforum.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

playing Subnautica taught me that if I enjoy a game I can tolerate any level of pop-in issues, without even thinking about it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nanigans posted:

P2P will work with friend codes, I think? So you can just ask for starters in this thread. There should also be a trading thread in the private game servers subforum.

Cool, I like the community aspect of it all, being able to get help until I can be helping others, after finding an active Discord for Pokemon Go, and also because I'm a huge communist

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Brother Entropy posted:

it looks like there's a path to the down-right direction--presumably with some more content--that is being pointedly ignored to pretend that route is smaller than it actually is

Freeze the gif on the map view, you can see that it started right at the very end of Route 7. Very misleading, there's definitely more to the map than that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nanigans posted:

:imunfunny: My favorite scene of any anime

Every scene in that show is my favorite scene.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lacrosse posted:

Freeze the gif on the map view, you can see that it started right at the very end of Route 7. Very misleading, there's definitely more to the map than that.

yea like most routes there's a sign on each end, they came up around near the end of 7 and followed it to 8, you can just look at the map to see it's not literally a ten step route

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Every scene in that show is my favorite scene.

I think my actual favorite is immediately after with Chouginga Gurren's appearance.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Bee posted:

I think that might be why the animations get flak. Most of the Z move animations would look amazing if you didn't see the Pokemon in question, but seeing them get dragged and wobbled across the screen like a bad puppet show immediately makes them feel worse.

See, Supersonic Sky Strike where Toucannon levitates through the power of sheer anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Geostomp posted:

See, Supersonic Sky Strike where Toucannon levitates through the power of sheer anger.

i thought we were talking about animations looking worse, not better