Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

There's definitely some stinkers on that list, but some pretty decent stuff. I kind of liked The Net. And The Game was pretty cool as well.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines didn't so much stand on the shoulders of giant as lie prone on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

JBP posted:

I'd be interested in watching a terminator horror movie like T1 but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Twenty years down the line you might have someone like Blumhouse resurrect the IP or something and get a chance for that. But I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tart Kitty posted:

Twenty years down the line you might have someone like Blumhouse resurrect the IP or something and get a chance for that. But I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon.

I'd be onboard for something like that. The Blumhouse Halloween was a lot of fun. Return to the fundamental premise that the reason you do your story about chromed-skull assassins using time-travelling future-robots that look like people for most of the runtime is that it makes the movie cheaper.

I wasn't really thinking about it that much during the movie, so maybe it's just poor recollection, but for all the trumpeting about this being a return to the series being rated R, it still felt tamer than Deadpool (also Tim Miller), the John Wick movies, Blumhouse Halloween, even Logan.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 17, 2019

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd be onboard for something like that. The Blumhouse Halloween was a lot of fun. Return to the fundamental premise that the reason you do your story about chromed-skull assassins using time-travelling future-robots that look like people for most of the runtime is that it makes the movie cheaper.

I wasn't really thinking about it that much during the movie, so maybe it's just poor recollection, but for all the trumpeting about this being a return to the series being rated R, it still felt tamer than Deadpool (also Tim Miller), the John Wick movies, Blumhouse Halloween, even Logan.

As far as I could tell the only reason Dark Fate was R instead of PG-13 was that they said some version of "gently caress" five times instead of two.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JBP posted:

I don't think making the film's genre something other than $200m worth of somehow chintzy action sequences is nostalgia.

It absolutely is because, minus the nostalgia, what you’re asking for is just a slasher movie.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem is that once you've done T1 and T2, and T-literally-T2-again-3, there are two things you can do with the concept if you want to keep making films in the franchise, 1) no more time travel, lets tell a war story about fighting machines at the end of the world; or 2) if we are doing more time travel then the films need to self-reference this and we make the story about that. I think both of those are interesting story concepts.

Genysis is bland and Salvation is just plain terrible, but they both at least take shots at going down either of those roads. Unfortunately they do it badly enough that nobody will ever do it again.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

If we're talking about a remake of the Terminator films, the way to do it would be to make both the human and the Terminator both indistinguishable until the end. Make them both murder machines, with the human not only charged with protecting the future leader of the resistance, but also tasked eliminating key personnel that would led to the development of Skynet/Legion/what-have-you, while the Terminator is doing the exact thing to future resistance leadership. The human could also be an Augment like Grace, further blurring the line. Really go for that plot that Cameron tried to do in the first couple movies, but extend out for a feature length film instead of abandoning it in the first fifteen minutes of the movie.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Young Freud posted:

If we're talking about a remake of the Terminator films, the way to do it would be to make both the human and the Terminator both indistinguishable until the end. Make them both murder machines, with the human not only charged with protecting the future leader of the resistance, but also tasked eliminating key personnel that would led to the development of Skynet/Legion/what-have-you, while the Terminator is doing the exact thing to future resistance leadership. The human could also be an Augment like Grace, further blurring the line. Really go for that plot that Cameron tried to do in the first couple movies, but extend out for a feature length film instead of abandoning it in the first fifteen minutes of the movie.

Those are good ideas but Cameron never really played with it at all. In T1 Ahnold immediately rips a guys heart out of his chest while Kyle Reese is clearly a confused human.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

rewatching T3 on hulu and the thing that surprisingly most jumps out to me this time is how much the score sucks utter rear end. It's completely generic and listless, capturing none of the personality of Brad Fiedel's previous work. Those heavy, thudding percussions are sorely missing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alchenar posted:

The problem is that once you've done T1 and T2, and T-literally-T2-again-3, there are two things you can do with the concept if you want to keep making films in the franchise, 1) no more time travel, lets tell a war story about fighting machines at the end of the world; or 2) if we are doing more time travel then the films need to self-reference this and we make the story about that. I think both of those are interesting story concepts.

Genysis is bland and Salvation is just plain terrible, but they both at least take shots at going down either of those roads. Unfortunately they do it badly enough that nobody will ever do it again.

Nah, fans are just unimaginative.

They’ve caught the infamous Phonebook Killer, and he’s now being kept - catatonic - in the Pescadero State Hospital. Local schizophrenic Sarah Connor insists that he’s a robot demon from the future, but also that she killed him??? Meanwhile, every test shows he’s just a man and, obviously, not dead. Sarah’s adult son John is deeply embarrassed.

Suddenly, Phonebook breaks out of the hospital and begins systematically hunting down every John Connor on social media. Turns out the hospital was a front for Cyberdyne, and Phonebook is a future robot - but this version was sent back ‘blank’ by accident. While passively awaiting instruction, he overheard Sarah’s ramblings and interpreted them as his mission objective....

That’s just the plot of Halloween 2018 with the names changed.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
ah! someone has gone and made my Dumbass Skynet film for me!

https://twitter.com/mtmtSF/status/1195686683267588097

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I'll never understand why people are so desirous of a future war movie. We know what happens - Skynet gets defeated, sends a Terminator back. There'd be no way of maintaining the nightmare atmosphere of T1 and T2's future war sequences, which means you'd probably get something like Salvation... which people hated for not being like those sequences and also just being generic and boring in general.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Horizon Burning posted:

I'll never understand why people are so desirous of a future war movie. We know what happens - Skynet gets defeated, sends a Terminator back. There'd be no way of maintaining the nightmare atmosphere of T1 and T2's future war sequences, which means you'd probably get something like Salvation... which people hated for not being like those sequences and also just being generic and boring in general.

Salvation was boring because it distanced itself from absurd laser bolt sci-fi and tried to do Call Of Duty with robots.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Horizon Burning posted:

I'll never understand why people are so desirous of a future war movie. We know what happens - Skynet gets defeated, sends a Terminator back.

Downfall sucks everyone knows how it ends.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Downfall sucks everyone knows how it ends.

You think you're being really smart making this comparison lol

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just give me Terminator Timelines, where multiple versions of Skynet/Legion/WOPR exist, and they're all trying to cement themselves as the one true timeline. Send Terminators back to Ancient Rome? Sure. Civil War Terminators? Hell yeah. T1 Arnold vs T2 Arnold vs T3 Arnold vs T5 Arnold vs T6 Arnold....well if that's not what CGI deaging is for I don't know what is.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It absolutely is because, minus the nostalgia, what you’re asking for is just a slasher movie.

Not necessarily. I'm sure a smart writing person could make a scary, entertaining terminator movie without defibrillating Schwarzenegger and Hamilton. I mean you can call it nostalgia because it's in the same franchise or a slasher movie because that's what you assume it'd be, but I'd like to see them try to make a scary terminator universe movie even if Legion or Skynet get to be explored more and they're malicious or whatever. Just give me something with dialogue that's not being screamed over a jet engine/gun/whatever for the entire film and maybe some dramatic tension.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Or just cancel the franchise entirely because it's probably pointless hoping for anything good to come of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I still think setting it in a different time is about all you can do to really change it up. Make it a period piece and play up how crappy the weapons are. Also solves the casting issue.

Having said that, they should really stop making Terminator movies.

And Alien movies.

EDIT:

Also, I guess the new video game sucks which is a shame but not surprising

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/15/terminator-resistance-review

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 18, 2019

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'd much rather watch terminator 1 be remade for the first time than 2 for the fourth time. actualyl well I'd rather no more terminator movies be made but thats beside the point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

Well the Terminator war is 'war of the worlds, except the machines exterminating humanity are defeated by people and not by waiting'. You are just using a handy available setting to tell a story about the holocaust/imperialism.

I think that as public consciousness rises over the existence of actual real world autonomous drones taking part in combat there's space to tell a simple cautionary war story about what trying to fight those things would be like.

E: also salvation doesnt touch this because it doesnt touch anything, but theres mountains of Christ allegory to make out of John Connor knowing that he's destined to win the war but also that destiny possibly isnt real, not knowing how, and also knowing he has to send Reese to his death.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 18, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JBP posted:

Not necessarily. I'm sure a smart writing person could make a scary, entertaining terminator movie without defibrillating Schwarzenegger and Hamilton.

They do this all the time. There are so many movies about drones taking over the world, and obviously far more slashers.

Why do you need the ‘Terminator’ brand name? Nostalgia.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUiYe_NwOkU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Horizon Burning posted:

You think you're being really smart making this comparison lol

No I don't but it is right on the money.

The issue with wanting a future war movie is nobody with any talent will be involved in making it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I thought one of the more interesting takes Terminator came in Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. You had Skynet and the Resistance sending various assets back in time to set things up in the present day to gain advantages in the future war. There was also a plot thread running through the second season that came off like the proto-version of the Machine/Samaritan conflict in Person of Interest. I miss both of those shows.

I'd like to see Netflix or somebody do a long-form Terminator series again.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Terminator 2 worked because it was all the cold war fear everyone had left squeezed into a feeling the arms race itself would wake up and kill us. A modern terminator needs to be modern fears, not just remakes of some perfect zeitgeist capturing anxiety from 30 years ago. This movie does it a little with robots taking jobs, but the current "correct" terminator movie is machines leaving us behind, instead of weapons killing us.

A good current terminator movie is robots that carelessly destroy everything around us like not even robots gone mad. Just robots grinding us to dust without even noticing we are there for some distant goal we don't even understand or care about. Like not even a machine that kills your kid because it hates you, or even for some obvious benefit, just a robot that kills your kid one day and you are powerless to even know why it did that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Horizon Burning posted:

The game that just came out is this. It's not..terrible? Basically baby's first fallout game. It ignores everything past T2, and has nothing to do with DF thankfully. If you like this franchise (or have stockholm like all of us that keep going to the newest film) then I'd say cop this when it hits 10-15 bucks on sale.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Terminator 2 worked because it was all the cold war fear everyone had left squeezed into a feeling the arms race itself would wake up and kill us. A modern terminator needs to be modern fears, not just remakes of some perfect zeitgeist capturing anxiety from 30 years ago. This movie does it a little with robots taking jobs, but the current "correct" terminator movie is machines leaving us behind, instead of weapons killing us.

A good current terminator movie is robots that carelessly destroy everything around us like not even robots gone mad. Just robots grinding us to dust without even noticing we are there for some distant goal we don't even understand or care about. Like not even a machine that kills your kid because it hates you, or even for some obvious benefit, just a robot that kills your kid one day and you are powerless to even know why it did that.

So, like that Black Mirror episode "Metalhead"?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Young Freud posted:

So, like that Black Mirror episode "Metalhead"?

That's the thing that's getting me. A lot of this has already been done or written about, it just doesn't have a Terminator logo on it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, the franchise has not caught up the fact that, as far as human technology goes, the internal combustion engine is proving the bigger existential threat than nuclear weapons. There's a nod at automation taking people's jobs, but that's only a real-world problem because the benefits of that improved efficiency are accumulated at the top rather than shared, which seems weird to put on the machines. Even Salvation handled that better, with its blink-and-you'll-miss-it inclusion of elite humans in league with Skynet in the post-apocalypse.

Nor did it handle the more personal modern-day fears particularly well. The Terminator played as much on fears of urban crime as it did the Cold War. Terminator 2 fit in with early-90s fears of 'big government,' with the T-1000 moving effortlessly through the police force, child protective services, and a state mental health facility. The Border Patrol stuff in the middle of the film gets at this a bit, and I think it's where the film is at its strongest, but even that has the Rev-9 being directly antagonistic to other Border Patrol agents in a way that the T-1000 never found necessary. And, as far as Sarah Connor, positively invoking survivalists has aged horribly since the 90s.

And it's sort of odd that the first big action sequence is fundamentally a workplace active shooter incident but with no effort made to actually evoke the feeling of one. God only knows what the fight in the dam is supposed to be about.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 18, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

iamsosmrt posted:

What's Guillermo Del Toro doing these days? Or Peter Jackson. Maybe one of them can do an original spin on this genre to show people it can be done well.

Peter Jackson is horrifically uneven and should probably stick to documentaries. GDT is never doing another sequel again, short of him standing up his own IP. Just let the franchise die. Slapping the Terminator brand is a death knell for interesting machine human conflict stories at this point.

Speaking of T3, I remember having to get a random grown-up in line at a movie theater to buy tickets for my brothers and I as teens because the clerk was being a real hardass about the R rating. We laughed though the entire thing and couldn't possibly understand why it had that rating, aside from the brief nudity.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Peter Jackson is horrifically uneven and should probably stick to documentaries. GDT is never doing another sequel again, short of him standing up his own IP. Just let the franchise die. Slapping the Terminator brand is a death knell for interesting machine human conflict stories at this point.

Speaking of T3, I remember having to get a random grown-up in line at a movie theater to buy tickets for my brothers and I as teens because the clerk was being a real hardass about the R rating. We laughed though the entire thing and couldn't possibly understand why it had that rating, aside from the brief nudity.

There's an all too brief moment where the T-X punches through someone's torso and then steers a car with their arm through the person's impaled body.

The Dark Knight and some other 2008-ish movie I forget really changed stuff with what you could show in PG-13 brutality-wise and brought it back to 80s levels. But even for a 2003 flick I was surprised Terminator 3 was rated R too because it's more violent stuff is still fairly cartoony/absurd.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's the thing that's getting me. A lot of this has already been done or written about, it just doesn't have a Terminator logo on it.

Got some good recommendations? I’m sure there’s plenty of stuff in this vein that I may have missed.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alita: Battle Angel is a better movie about a woman discovering herself as a resistance leader mixed with stylish cyborg combat. Upgrade is a better movie about transhumanist dystopia and rogue AI. I'd even put the Netflix movie I Am Mother above this in regards to the interplay of motherhood, predetermination, and machine intelligence.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, the franchise has not caught up the fact that, as far as human technology goes, the internal combustion engine is proving the bigger existential threat than nuclear weapons. There's a nod at automation taking people's jobs, but that's only a real-world problem because the benefits of that improved efficiency are accumulated at the top rather than shared, which seems weird to put on the machines. Even Salvation handled that better, with its blink-and-you'll-miss-it inclusion of elite humans in league with Skynet in the post-apocalypse.

Elysium even handles that better with the main characters working for the system that enslaves them: Max building the robot policemen who beat him up, Frey working in a medical system that is propped up by on suffering that can be cured instantly (it's a keen eye that spots the drugs she using to keep her daughter alive are hospice drugs). And ofc, the wealthy live in the ultimate gated community while their rules are enforced by robots or worse, loving functionally-immortal psychopaths. I think I've heard the movie is basically The Terminator But Late-Stage Capitalism.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Elysium is great and I don't know why it got panned. It's simplistic, sure, but it's effective and a drat entertaining movie.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I really enjoyed Elysium but Damon was miscast and I'm not sure what Jodie Foster thought she was doing. It was like a bad Christine Lagarde impression. Also despite the strong themes the whole thing felt underbaked and they kept doing that stupid over the shoulder first person shooter camera poo poo during the action scenes for no reason. The first and last 20 minutes are great and everything else is kind of just a muddle with some bright spots and cool production design.

As always, Sharlto Copley was a loving delight and I would gladly watch another two hours of him as an immortal apartheid-loving cyborg paramilitary freakout.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neill Blomkamp's entire transhumanist trilogy is essential post-T2 sci-fi. You could easily slot in Elysium as the follow-up to Genisys that shows the human revolution's triumph being the beneficent future AI that Genisys hints at.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Elysium is great and I don't know why it got panned. It's simplistic, sure, but it's effective and a drat entertaining movie.

I think it was because a lot of people were still had a largely centrist viewpoint and weren't as woke as now because a lot of negative aspects of capitalism weren't as visible as they are now. The common complaint was that the elite like Carlyle and Delacourt weren't subtle or sympathetic in their villainy, but post-2016, they would be Trump cabinet picks.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I really enjoyed Elysium but Damon was miscast and I'm not sure what Jodie Foster thought she was doing. It was like a bad Christine Lagarde impression. Also despite the strong themes the whole thing felt underbaked and they kept doing that stupid over the shoulder first person shooter camera poo poo during the action scenes for no reason. The first and last 20 minutes are great and everything else is kind of just a muddle with some bright spots and cool production design.

As always, Sharlto Copley was a loving delight and I would gladly watch another two hours of him as an immortal apartheid-loving cyborg paramilitary freakout.

Agreed, even though I like Damon's Max. Ninja would be worse, but I still would have like to see Eminem as Max. Even though I liked the "cybervato" look they had to emphasize the "global south" themes, I think if Blomkamp had shot in Flint or Detroit instead of Mexico City standing in for L.A., it would be a lot more relatable with American audiences.

I am hundred percent certain that Foster's Delacourt not only had a name change (her character was originally named Rose, something that got picked on when an entertainment reporter asked Foster about the role) but the accent stuff was done in reshoots. I want to believe that she sounded more like Michelle Bachmann or Sarah Palin in the initial drafts. That was the impression when Delacourt mocks the president about "do you have children?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Silly Burrito posted:

Got some good recommendations? I’m sure there’s plenty of stuff in this vein that I may have missed.

Besides those mentioned already:

-Transcendence is a classic hard-scifi film that goes into many of the key themes of Genisys.

-Battle: Los Angeles is, for my money, the best ever movie about ‘future war’ versus drone armies.

-Revolt is a scrappy Blomkamp-inspired mockbuster of T4 (with some B:LA influence).

-Halloween 2018, as mentioned earlier, is essentially a Terminator sequel where Terminator remained a slasher franchise.

-Kill Command is one of the best horror films ever made about a military robot.

-Paranormal Activity 5: The Marked Ones is basically a Terminator film whose main conceit is witchcraft instead of nanomachines.

-Man Of Steel is heavily inspired by the Terminator series.