Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Some of y'all have been brined too long because it's getting awfully salty in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Whooping Crabs posted:

I have a similar smoker (MES bluetooth 30") but have never been able to get the bluetooth to work. Maybe it's better now but it might be a problem. Got it on clearance at walmart 2 years ago for $140 fwiw.

Eh, probably doesn't matter much given bluetooth's horrid range.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Colostomy Bag posted:

Eh, probably doesn't matter much given bluetooth's horrid range.

Probably, especially if you are indoors and the smoker is outdoors. nwin may as well get the non-bluetooth version for less money, even with the clearance price of the bluetooth.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Whooping Crabs posted:

Probably, especially if you are indoors and the smoker is outdoors. nwin may as well get the non-bluetooth version for less money, even with the clearance price of the bluetooth.

It seems that the version I linked has the best heat retention and better venting than other models, at least according to some other forums. Everyone agrees the BT and the temperature gauge is poo poo regardless of which mode you choose though.

Edit: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/masterbuilt-smokers-bear%92s-thoughts-findings.235820/

That dude seems like a pedantic old timer but he seems to know his stuff

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 18, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

nwin posted:

It seems that the version I linked has the best heat retention and better venting than other models, at least according to some other forums. Everyone agrees the BT and the temperature gauge is poo poo regardless of which mode you choose though.

Edit: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/masterbuilt-smokers-bear’s-thoughts-findings.235820/

Yeah, like have been mentioned the window will be toast within one smokey cook. Maybe if you clean it after every cook with bar keeper's friend but it is a lost cause.

Happy with the price, go for it. It won't be perfect, but will serve you well. MES support is great (as for the other post with the missing element, give them another call.)

In short, if all of us sat around a table to design the perfect smoker to handle every situation it would turn out like the Homer of car design.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Search this thread for my previous posts regarding the abuse I put my MES through.

Smoker remote monitoring requires WIFI to be useful. Might as well get the cheaper version. Heat retention doesn't matter with an electric. My MES mostly gets used in the winter when it's -30 to -40 outside. The only issue is that the element runs more frequently so you'll burn through chips quicker.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
MeatHead put up a preview/review of the new Weber Pellet grill/smoker and from a quick skim seems to be excited about it.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/pellet-grill/weber-smokefire-pellet-grill

I was about to buy another MES because the control board on mine rusted through after the panel button sticker thing peeled off. Perhaps I should wait for the hot new item ?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I just set fire to my performer's gas line due to some.... unfortunate circumstances..... now I really want this smokefire

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

jonathan posted:

MeatHead put up a preview/review of the new Weber Pellet grill/smoker and from a quick skim seems to be excited about it.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/pellet-grill/weber-smokefire-pellet-grill

I was about to buy another MES because the control board on mine rusted through after the panel button sticker thing peeled off. Perhaps I should wait for the hot new item ?

I'd at least wait until they try smoking something with it, as the review only focuses on the performance of the grill (which still sounds awesome).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Traeger had an event at my local Costco yesterday. They had 33lb bags of their "gourmet" pellet blend (hickory, maple, cherry) for $20 and their 20lb bag of hickory for $15.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

jonathan posted:

This is what's stopping me from getting a pellet smoker. When you buy a WSM or BGE you know it's going to last 20 years. I'd be mighty pissed if I bought a $1200 pellet smoker and have the circuit board fail after 4 years. At least the MES is cheap enough you don't mind treating it like a cheap BBQ that you know will last 5 years before it rusts out.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

nwin posted:

Edit: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/masterbuilt-smokers-bear%92s-thoughts-findings.235820/

you won't notice any of that stuff if this is your first smoker

don't bother with the window or bluetooth. just pick the size you want and go for it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Blinkz0rz posted:

don't bother with the window or bluetooth. just pick the size you want and go for it.

100% this. I read that same dude's reviews years ago before I bought my 40". He's not necessarily wrong, but the difference in the finished product will be unnoticeable. Just buy the cheapest 40" you can find around Black Friday.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Blinkz0rz posted:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

100% this. I read that same dude's reviews years ago before I bought my 40". He's not necessarily wrong, but the difference in the finished product will be unnoticeable. Just buy the cheapest 40" you can find around Black Friday.

This is good to know. I really don’t care about Bluetooth or a glass window-I just figured what he said about the vents made sense.

The main thing I’m going to do is buy a AMAZN pellet thing and see how I like using it.

Now-everyone on that forum says to get the 40” because I can fit a full rack of ribs or brisket without trimming it. However, it’s my wife and I and our one year old son, and it’s not like we entertain a whole lot. The life on these things don’t seem that great either (3-4 years), so should I go with the 30 or 40”? I don’t mind the difference in price, but I don’t want to buy something I don’t need.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

nwin posted:

This is good to know. I really dont care about Bluetooth or a glass window-I just figured what he said about the vents made sense.

The main thing Im going to do is buy a AMAZN pellet thing and see how I like using it.

Now-everyone on that forum says to get the 40 because I can fit a full rack of ribs or brisket without trimming it. However, its my wife and I and our one year old son, and its not like we entertain a whole lot. The life on these things dont seem that great either (3-4 years), so should I go with the 30 or 40? I dont mind the difference in price, but I dont want to buy something I dont need.

i have a 30" and if i'm doing ribs i just cut the rack in 1/2. it couldn't fit a brisket though unless you just do the point or flat (you could do both at the same time actually, just each one on a different rack) which might not be too big of a deal for you since like you said, it's just the two of you and a baby.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Has anyone seen this new Masterbuilt Gravity Series charcoal cooker? Gravity-fed with lump or briquettes, and thermostatically controlled between 225-700 degrees F.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series-560

Looks very interesting.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Didn't see this mentioned in here, Weber seems to be going after Traeger.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/wood-pellet-grills/smokefire-series/

I'd be interested in replacing my MES 30 and propane grill with something like this eventually.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

nwin posted:

This is good to know. I really don’t care about Bluetooth or a glass window-I just figured what he said about the vents made sense.

The main thing I’m going to do is buy a AMAZN pellet thing and see how I like using it.

Now-everyone on that forum says to get the 40” because I can fit a full rack of ribs or brisket without trimming it. However, it’s my wife and I and our one year old son, and it’s not like we entertain a whole lot. The life on these things don’t seem that great either (3-4 years), so should I go with the 30 or 40”? I don’t mind the difference in price, but I don’t want to buy something I don’t need.

40" is nice, but you're right that for most stuff a 30" will fit fine. Brisket and Turkey are the two things I can think of that might not fit. You could probably cut a turkey and half and solve that problem though.

You can typically find 30" MES's for around $100 after Thanksgiving. For whatever reason 40" commands a major premium.

Moey posted:

I'd be interested in replacing my MES 30 and propane grill with something like this eventually.

Not exactly competing on price, are they?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Moey posted:

600° max :eyepop:

Does it have a setting to smoke with no heat, for like cold-smoking stuff?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Traeger had an event at my local Costco yesterday. They had 33lb bags of their "gourmet" pellet blend (hickory, maple, cherry) for $20 and their 20lb bag of hickory for $15.

Their grills are great, their pellets are junk.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Not exactly competing on price, are they?

The big boy Traegers are more than that. I’ve owned a Traeger for like eight years and that SmokeFire looks real nice. I like the ash clean out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DiggityDoink posted:

i have a 30" and if i'm doing ribs i just cut the rack in 1/2. it couldn't fit a brisket though unless you just do the point or flat (you could do both at the same time actually, just each one on a different rack) which might not be too big of a deal for you since like you said, it's just the two of you and a baby.

I did 2 full packet briskets and ~8 beef short ribs in my MES 30 and they came out great. I just separate the flat and point.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I. M. Gei posted:

600° max :eyepop:

Does it have a setting to smoke with no heat, for like cold-smoking stuff?

Doesn't look like it (200-600), I still have not cold smoked anything (cheese seems interesting though).

I'm wondering if that thing can actually pull duty as a grill and smoker. Looking forward to reviews when it actually comes out on January. Apparently grilling on a Traeger isn't ideal no matter what marketing says.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Yeah Meathead did a review on the smokefire and said that it could properly sear a steak, which means it can basically function completely as a grill. The link is like 4 posts above the guy who said he didn't see the Weber posted in here.

Edit: I'll just quote it

jonathan posted:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

McSpankWich posted:

Yeah Meathead did a review on the smokefire and said that it could properly sear a steak, which means it can basically function completely as a grill. The link is like 4 posts above the guy who said he didn't see the Weber posted in here.

Edit: I'll just quote it

Gracias, I clearly cannot read.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moey posted:

Gracias, I clearly cannot read.

You don't analyze every post in the smoked meat thread ?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Their grills are great, their pellets are junk.

Care to elaborate? I just bought 66lbs of their pellets :lol:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Moey posted:

Doesn't look like it (200-600), I still have not cold smoked anything (cheese seems interesting though).

I really hope you’re wrong. I’d totes consider getting one for apartment grilling if it has a cold-smoke setting... y’know, when I have a thousand bucks to burn.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Care to elaborate? I just bought 66lbs of their pellets :lol:

They use cheaper hardwoods and infuse them with wood oils for flavor.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Chemmy posted:

They use cheaper hardwoods and infuse them with wood oils for flavor.

There's a class action lawsuit regarding this

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, man this has been going for years.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well gently caress.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the complaint that it's not real wood/what you're paying for or is there a danger or something with using the oils?

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

VERTiG0 posted:

Has anyone seen this new Masterbuilt Gravity Series charcoal cooker? Gravity-fed with lump or briquettes, and thermostatically controlled between 225-700 degrees F.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series-560

Looks very interesting.

I like the concept! But that doesn’t look like much cooking surface area. They even say only 4 racks of ribs. If they had a bigger version I’d be all over it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Do we still like the pellets directly from A-MAZE-N? That's what I have been using without any complaints. Unless y'all tell me to complain.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Moey posted:

Do we still like the pellets directly from A-MAZE-N? That's what I have been using without any complaints. Unless y'all tell me to complain.

I’m using lumberjack. Not sure if I should sue them though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My last couple bags have been this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00819OICI/

It's tasty stuff, definitely on chicken, but was looking for a different flavor when I picked up the apparently bags of Traeger poo poo

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Moey posted:

They are way too expensive. Although you don't need much since you only fill a tube or maze. You can grab a bag of pellets for less than a buck a pound, vs $6+ per pound for a maze n

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is the complaint that it's not real wood/what you're paying for or is there a danger or something with using the oils?

I think the complaint is that they make it seem like it's top quality pure wood pellets when in actuality it's just wood and oils.

I don't know if their ads imply that it's pure wood. The food probably tastes better with flavour oils anyways.

F
Nov 6, 2005

Moey posted:

You the one who's dad got a BGE a year or two back?

I'm guessing I missed a name change here.

Yeah man, that's him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Amazing how cheap you can do Thanksgiving. 33 cents a lb for turkey.