Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I mean, it's also in the Wikipedia portal "Culinary Herbs and Spices" under the "Spices" heading, so once again Wikipedia is not a source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What kind of salt is being produced in the thread right now? I need to know the next time a fast food magnate accidentally fucks up and tweets a picture.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Potassium dichromate, which I'm currently using to treat my wood if you know what I mean

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Salt is not a herb or spice

But it is a secret ingredient.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sockser posted:

12 spices? Oh, some of ‘em must be doubles

Marge's delivery on that whole scene is amazing

"Or-e-gan-o? What the hell?"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Glumslinger posted:

Marge's delivery on that whole scene is amazing

"Or-e-gan-o? What the hell?"

This joke was funnier when I learned how Americans normally pronounce oregano.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Bobstar posted:

The word comes into English from Spanish orégano, which is from Latin orīganum, ultimately coming from Ancient Greek ὀρίγανον (oríganon).

So the American pronunciation more closely hews to the original word. But British English apparently doesn't like words with the first syllable unstressed, so in England you don't often hear people say garage like a la-di-da Mr French Man

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
ketchup

catsup

?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bobstar posted:

You call arugula "garden rocket"

You don't get to tell people about names for plants

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

"Origino?" What the hell?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The all ighty eamed am?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

jesus christ lmao

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Outstanding!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

good gravy

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sagebrush posted:

Oddly enough, the words arugula and roquette (rocket) both come from the same root, the Latin word, eruca. Just different journeys through Italian.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It's just brown and water.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:vince:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

The word comes into English from Spanish orégano, which is from Latin orīganum, ultimately coming from Ancient Greek ὀρίγανον (oríganon).

So the American pronunciation more closely hews to the original word. But British English apparently doesn't like words with the first syllable unstressed, so in England you don't often hear people say garage like a la-di-da Mr French Man

I was going to say "how do you know I'm British" but then I remembered my gang tag...

We have GA-rage and GA-ridge and possibly more, probably some kind of mystical class signifier.

Anyway, content!

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 19, 2019

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I dunno, he doesn't lookhappy to see Smithers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sagebrush posted:

How do you feel about aubergine?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh, you have got to be kidding sir. First you think of an idea that has already been done. Then you give it a meme format that nobody could possibly like. Didn't you think this through... [fade to later]... it was in the Goldmine for eighteen months! Every poster gave it a 5... [later]... one of the most popular threads of all time, sir! What were you thinking? [pause] I mean, thank you, come again.

j/k these are all excellent and I lol

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/getdisneyprime/status/1196806902472232960?s=21

Master J Plus
Apr 20, 2010

by Hand Knit

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They've all been good recently but this one's the best.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hahahhahaha

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

There is always more and it is always good

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

literally cackling out loud in bed hahaha

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Stop, stop, it's already gold!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think I'm a pretty funny guy, and then I check in on this thread, and people are making connections I could never have dreamed of.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think I'm a pretty funny guy, and then I check in on this thread, and people are making connections I could never have dreamed of.

seriously I watch episodes and try to think of some cool thing to post and I just have absolutely nothing

then I come back to something like this

and I am thankful for people much smarter than myself

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

That's not quite it though?

After hearing an Italian pronounce Orégano I think it's more about stress. Americans put the stress on the first e, so they say it like Ore(h)-gano whereas British English speakers put the stress on the a, so we say it like Ore-ga(h)-no. The e seems to have the same sound.

Something something voiced e, unvoiced a. I don't remember much phonology terms.

I would have said Americans put stress on the second syllable though. Like to me it sounds like Gar-a(h)ge with a softer g, versus the British Ga(h)r-age with a harder j sound at the end.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Simpsons diddly

Doodly

Diddly Dadaly doodly!

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004