Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Klyith posted:

People who are not gamers are the target audience for a service to play video games. Well, that explains a lot about stadia!

It was only a few pages ago that he was adamant that stadia would play games at far higher levels of quality than a console could achieve. :mmmhmm:

I think Gertsmann was right, this thing is only for people who play phone games.

Anybody who thinks this is the future of gaming in the US with the horrible infrastructure we have is out of their goddamn minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
For whatever it's worth, here's my review of Stadia. I've had a Pro account for a week.

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/google-stadia-review/

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Rinkles posted:

why did google okay this in the first place? it's gotta be a massive investment.

Because everyone is terrified of being left behind of the post-cellphone device era and they want a moist bolus of locked-in gamers they can splatter onto their hasty me-too version of whichever category of product becomes successful in supplanting the ubiquitous cellphone be it AR glasses , AR cancer helmet (MS holoense) or full on blackout sensory immersion VR motorcycle helmet.

People that grew up with them, kids, are sick of having to hold and look at their phones and want to just be bolted in there and generate TikToks with a minimum of muscular impulse and these companies are convinced they gaming is the wedge they can use to force their product into viablity.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wanderer posted:

For whatever it's worth, here's my review of Stadia. I've had a Pro account for a week.

This is cool and good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The complexity of setup seems to be a common thread through almost every review I've seen so far, and that's seriously troubling. This thing should be presented as a no-nonsense solution to gaming and at the moment it seems anything but. Driving to Wal-Mart and buying a boxed console seems light years easier than whatever Google is currently instructing users to do.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hostile apostle posted:

You no longer need a full desktop PC, which is where the real inefficiency comes from

No, individual desktop PCs are not a real inefficiency compared to massive server farms streaming tremendous amounts of data, as evidenced by multiple studies on the ecological impact of streaming services with significantly more research and evidence behind them than your "but just think about it" knee-jerk Stadia defense.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

SyRauk posted:

Are they going to talk about Daydream updates or is that dead now? Trying to temper my expectations for something awesome that Google will eventually ignore after 2 years.

I saw this 10 or so pages back. I forgot all about their VR venture.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/15/20915609/google-pixel-4-no-daydream-support-view-vr-headset-discontinued

I didn't hear about this when i happened as like most people I had stopped caring. (Aside from the name not being remotely catchy or indicative of a VR product.)

For me a PC user this was the only possible reason to use Stadia. Console games are inferior, ported, or emulated so the next gen of consoles (and the associated cost of upgrading) doesn't mean much to me. VR though is still a large monetary barrier and could have been the only good reason to use anti-consumer ownership streaming services.

It is really hilarious to see one of the richest companies in the world just flop so hard and have so many technical problems. Though cost cutting failures are to be expected from the 2 inch deep fiber company.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

Who has a desktop these days between gamers and olds?
not google, apparently, since the performance of stadia games has been compared to the xbox one

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

hostile apostle posted:

You no longer need a full desktop PC, which is where the real inefficiency comes from, anymore so where is the efficiency gain from that? Seems like a major oversight from that papers author.

Who has a desktop these days between gamers and olds? In the cloud gaming shift, you no longer need that desktop.

If you actually cared about saving power you'd stop posting ASAP.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

limaCAT posted:

The only person that could save Stadia could be Elon Musk with Starlink

Hie thee to the Musk thread immediately, because if you think Musk is more believable than Chris Roberts or more intelligent and composed than Trump, you got another think coming.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

Even I think you're batshit

Shut up, brand

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The take on Reddit now is that it's Rockstar's fault for not taking advantage of the Stadia hardware properly.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

I've been having fun posting this image in response to all the comments that are like "why would you ever expect performance better than an Xbox??"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

fuf posted:

The take on Reddit now is that it's Rockstar's fault for not taking advantage of the Stadia hardware properly.

Famously custom Stadia hardware *checks specs* "a PC"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Maybe they should try setting the detail to lowest and install the mod where the horses all move like in Everything*

* I don't think that mod exists but it needs to.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
Honestly all these services come down to unacceptable lag. You can't fix it, doesn't matter how long you're in beta, you either fundamentally address it or your service will always be a sideshow. The second some kid gets headshot across a map in the latest Call of Duty, they're going to scapegoat the controller lag in frustration and want a real console. Fighting games, souls games, rhythm games, whatever requires timing is going to be a chore to play, especially as you get older (read: have disposable income) and your reaction times drop.

Want to solve that? Partner with (or outright buy! Only $200 billion!) Comcast. Put Stadia clusters in every cable headend in America. Latency drops to <10ms. Too bad that level of hardware investment drives the service price up to $30, $40 or more a month. There goes your value advantage.

And you still have to solve how to handle major releases. Grand Theft Auto V sold over 11 million copies in its first 24 hours. What happens when everyone wants to play the next GTA the first weekend it's out? How much queuing are people going to tolerate?

The video quality issues are something you can at least imagine them improving...eventually. But they'll always be in a race against PC visual quality, and it's a race they'll inevitably lose.

The only way I could see Stadia catching on is if they develop the next Fortnite or Pokemon that catches on and gets kids addicted. Make it the must have item for the holiday season or something. Good luck with that.

I tried to think of the perfect game for a service like this that already exists. The best I could come up with is EVE Online. Centralized servers, not super taxing hardware requirements, a user base that is used to lag and has gameplay built around compensating for it, and the ability to use "the cloud" to improve the gameplay experience (it famously has slide-show battles due to overloaded servers). Too bad it's old and niche.

I guess I just don't get it.

Vietnom nom nom fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 19, 2019

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Vietnom nom nom posted:

I guess I just don't get it.

That’s fine. Neither does Google.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vietnom nom nom posted:

I tried to think of the perfect game for a service like this that already exists. The best I could come up with is EVE Online. Centralized servers, not super taxing hardware requirements, a user base that is used to lag and has gameplay built around compensating for it, and the ability to use "the cloud" to improve the gameplay experience (it famously has slide-show battles due to overloaded servers). Too bad it's old and niche.
A traditional MMO would probably be a reasonable use-case, as they're typically slow-paced enough movement-wise that input lag is less of an issue, and taking the client out of the user's hands would remove cheating and hacking from the equation. However, MMOs are more or less a dead genre at this point outside of like, two games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
90% of people with a console hooked up to their lovely Black Friday $400 HDTV don't even put it in game mode. I think the general public is a lot less perceptive of input lag than most true gamers realize.

If they can get streaming down to something like <50ms added (tests show Stadia is already in the 50-80 range) I think that would be in the realm of acceptable for most use cases.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

this gif should just be on every page of this thread

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

American McGay posted:

90% of people with a console hooked up to their lovely Black Friday $400 HDTV don't even put it in game mode. I think the general public is a lot less perceptive of input lag than most true gamers realize.

Right, but Google's complete lack of marketing means nobody who doesn't follow gaming news has even heard of Stadia.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gschmidl posted:

Right, but Google's complete lack of marketing means nobody who doesn't follow gaming news has even heard of Stadia.

Which is actually a good thing since this is a paid beta and not an actual launch. :shrug:

edit:
Google is targeting women with its new gaming service Stadia

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 19, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

American McGay posted:

If they can get streaming down to something like <50ms added (tests show Stadia is already in the 50-80 range) I think that would be in the realm of acceptable for most use cases.
Consider MMOs. On a bad day, the latency of a purely server-side game can easily go up to 200-500 milliseconds. It's not unreasonable to expect that Stadia might have similar periods of traffic congestion. 50ms is the kind of thing the average person really can't even tell is there, but half a second of delay between input and reaction, that is something you feel.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

my desktop is a fuckin amd phantom II x4 from like 2013 and it still runs games fine because i have a 1060 in it

that said the reason why jedi fallen order is having problems for people is because it's unoptimized as gently caress and requires several patches

e: I'm still running on win7 though, i'm not sure what will happen if i upgrade to win10. oddly the only games that have run like poo poo on my desktop have been the signal from tolva and grow up, and i'm not really sure why other than, again, lack of optimization (both games even employ an intentionally low-res aesthetic lol). but yeah most games have been fine, i try not to go over 1080p tho and usually stick to like medium-high settings. i also have an i7 laptop with a 1050ti that runs games at 1080p ultra settings but dang does it get hot

Grow Up also ran somewhat poorly for me around launch even though Grow Home had run perfectly fine. Not sure what the issue was with that game.

:eyepop:
I'm fairly sure the Stadia servers are too young to do drugs.

fuf posted:

Is there some way to check if this is happening?

You can have something like CPU-Z open and see what kind of frequencies your CPU is hitting compared to its specs, if nothing else. Same with GPU-Z for the GPU.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

heeheex2 posted:

And what about the people that run their rigs off gasoline generators?

I do this. I'm "rolling coal" right now by running Cinebench & Furmark at the same time to trigger the libs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American McGay posted:

Those same people are also going to have garbage wifi connections so it definitely isn't going to be 80ms latency

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hostile apostle posted:

Running that gaming PC GPU in your home isn't energy-free either. Google's servers are likely also more energy efficient.
Maybe in a warm location. In a cold winter, your GPU/CPU heat can contribute to keeping your house warm, thus allowing your normal heating to do less work. A big datacenter full of servers produces too much heat to just let it hang around so they either have to dump it outside or (in the best of cases) use it to heat other buildings nearby.

hostile apostle posted:

And the cost of running a PC or console in your home is? What about the production of all that waste that went into making that console packaging or the console itself and shipping it around?

You still need some kind of local device to run Stadia on and all the server hardware (plus packaging, shipping and electricity) they need to provide to even run the service 24/7 isn't exactly without cost/impact.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

njsykora posted:

Amazed Apostle has time to post in this thread in between enjoying all the incredible experiences on their Google Stadia Founders Edition.

he's probably finding the time to post while he's waiting for his inputs to register

can we add these to the op?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Darth TNT posted:

Which is actually a good thing since this is a paid beta and not an actual launch. :shrug:

Oh, is this the spin we're actually going with now

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wheany posted:

It's just going around in a circle.

"It's for gamers"
"Who don't need it"
"Well, it's not for gamers"
"Non-gamers haven't heard about it"
"Well, it's for gamers"

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Schroedingers Stadia. Until you open the box it's simultaneously both for gamers and for non-gamers. Until the day it's quietly shut down by Google when they finally realise it's for no-one at all.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol at all the dumb mock thread posters who took the Elon Musk post at face value.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

shrike82 posted:

Cloud services are huge money makers. Not really a difficult pitch to dumbass executives about converting consumers from sporadic game purchasers to paying a monthly subscription service forever

Which is why my jaw dropped when Google announced that users would have to pay full price for the games. It’s so obviously the backwards move. People, even reviewers, still keep calling this Netflix for games when the defining feature of Netflix is an all you can eat buffet of content.

They don’t have the buffet and they don’t have F2P which are the top two ways to get money out of casual content consumers. Instead, they are promoting a buy to “own” model which runs counter to the shaky future of the service while their marketing and launch lineup is aimed at core gamers with a lot of latency sensitive action games and the teraflops image. Except they are all old games, most of which are heavily discounted or included in actual Netflix for games services like GamePass. Even their launch pack in game got converted into F2P on other platforms.

Their subscription is currently a $10/mo lottery ticket that you might get 4k60 on your full price games while behind the scenes the hardware can’t even hit 4k60. Its the dumbest subscription imaginable and as soon as the free tier becomes available it will clearly be the better option for anyone trying the service.

None of this makes sense and it’s glorious.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Nice review.

quote:

The Stadia’s official controller has an entire button specifically dedicated to the Google Assistant, and as of right now, you get a “not yet available” message when you push it. If you want to redeem a game code, you can’t do it on your TV or phone; that requires you to load Stadia up in a Chrome window. If you want to dial back Stadia’s bandwidth like I did, you can’t do that in a browser or on a TV; you have to use the mobile app, which in turn is only available for Pixel phones.

Wow.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

doingitwrong posted:

you have to use the mobile app, which in turn is only available for Pixel phones

I don't think that's right. You can only stream to pixel phones, but you can still use the mobile app for setup etc.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Wheany posted:

Ah yes, the poster who admitted to wanting to see it fail and has criticized Stadia earlier in the thread of it is clearly spinning it as opposed to avoiding jumping on the echo chamber band wagon. :golfclap:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1196766382584672256?s=20

lamo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There's an unmentioned elephant in the room here: given that many games aren't running at 4K internally, there isn't really any point in the full paid sub package. Now there are tons of reasons why you shouldn't be buying games a-la-carte on here, but if you did and then let your pro sub lapse, I doubt there'd be any real difference in visuals for a lot of titles.

God, what a mess.

Anyway my order has been upgraded to "in transit" and is meant to arrive next Monday by end of day, although it'll probably be more like the end of the week, judging by how my physical bit deliveries by Canada Post usually go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hmmm, yes, I wonder what the company with a graveyard full of actually popular projects they killed will do. It is a mystery.