Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jack Trades posted:

Teleport movement sucks dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think it's important to keep in mind people who have motion sickness, but I agree teleport is super unfun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think I probably heard it on VNN in which case it's more than likely bullshit, but I remember one of the leaks about HLVR being essentially just Time Crisis. Moving up from one set piece to another.

I think a lot of people would probably find that pretty underwhelming but I could see it

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

homeless snail posted:

I think I probably heard it on VNN in which case it's more than likely bullshit, but I remember one of the leaks about HLVR being essentially just Time Crisis. Moving up from one set piece to another.

Groundbreaking to be sure.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I feel like it's unlikely they would spend 9 of the last 10 years on VR doors if it was a setpiece wave shooter

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's Valve

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

I think it's important to keep in mind people who have motion sickness, but I agree teleport is super unfun.

I still can't play glide movement. I have to dope myself up on ground ginger pills and can barely tolerate a few minutes of that. Stuff like Lone Echo is workable for me at least where it is slow-paced and I'm grabbing on to things. I haven't tried Stormlands yet but I don't have a lot of hope.

i loving love the Tea for God redirected walking stuff the most. It would be great if i could make that work in a bigass area like my office, so I'm going from large room to large room in a game like Boneworks.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KakerMix posted:

I am really enjoying this new "VR IS A GIMKICK AND FAD AND I HATE IT" resurgence, totally unironically.

They’re so mad and it kills me every time. It’s always the same poo poo, too. It’s a Virtual Boy, it’s a overpriced Wii controller, as if nothing has changed between when the Rift DK1 first launched and now. It’s just sad at this point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They also use outdated pricing when slamming it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
VR costs $25000 and only runs at 240p, it's garbage. Give it up vrailures.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
How do you install something like Tea for God on an old Oculus Rift (non S)? Just launch the installer having enabled unknown sources in the Oculus menu?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

How do you install something like Tea for God on an old Oculus Rift (non S)? Just launch the installer having enabled unknown sources in the Oculus menu?

Download the non-apk, exe, version.
Run the exe.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
from the talk someone linked a few pages ago, the valve dev sorta implied that the HLVR game will support multiple VR devices and also multiple locomotion methods

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lone echo is ridiculously boring to me, so much time just slowly doing nothing

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve seen a few articles proclaiming that the internet is loosing its poo poo that the new half life game is VR only. They read more like “games journalism” trying to manufacture a controversy for clicks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cicero posted:

The Snapdragon 835 was announced in Nov 2016, and the first phones with it launched in April 2017 according to a quick googling. CPU Benchmarks have the 855 being around 75% faster than the 835 according to this: https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks

GPU Benchmarks have the 855 being 50-90% faster: https://dev1.notebook-check.com/index.php?id=149363

Well, that's not what the benchmarks are showing. What data are you looking at?

Yeah the next Quest with an updated SOC/GPU is gonna own bones

Vader Immortal + Red Matter already look incredible, a 25% increase in performance will probably allow for @90fps in some games, heightened visual quality @72fps for all others, not to mention more complex game logic, etc

I would imagine USB4 + fiber optic cable + newer SOC should allow the upcoming "Quest S" to finally, fully replace the Rift S and handle fairly complex games

The idea that CPUs are only improving at 2-3% per generation probably comes from the fact that Intel/AMD chips haven't made hardly any per-core improvement since 2012. I agree that mobile ARM SOC are experiencing huge leaps still

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

VR isn't dead, but it's still a lame toddler that can't do much yet.

Right now the killer app is an (Awesome) updated Audiosurf game, the platform desperately needs a HL2-like release that actually utilizes and showcases the platform's potential before people start giving a poo poo. It'd be nice to have a headset that combines the slicker hardware setup and interface experience of the Quest with the actually good screens in the Index, because right now neither product feels compelling as they're both compromised, whether in regard to a high quality PC-linked experience, or in not being a janky loving mess that requires separate stands and room prep.

2020 might be the year for VR tho if Valve actually pull HL:A off, and I'll finally buy in if someone releases Index quality screens in a package closer to that of the Quest.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'd say the reaction on the internet seems pretty negative outside VR circles. People have been antsy for a single player Valve game and a negative reaction seems inevitable if the first game in ages is VR only. If they announce a normal straight forward flat screen single player game alongside I'm sure that'd change instantly.

Since Valve has been tinkering with VR for a long time I am really interested in seeing what new ideas they show off in HL:A. Outside of Oculus I don't think there is any other company who has put near so much time into experimenting with VR development. I would be very very surprised if it's anything like a full game though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the next Quest with an updated SOC/GPU is gonna own bones

Vader Immortal + Red Matter already look incredible, a 25% increase in performance will probably allow for @90fps in some games, heightened visual quality @72fps for all others, not to mention more complex game logic, etc

I would imagine USB4 + fiber optic cable + newer SOC should allow the upcoming "Quest S" to finally, fully replace the Rift S and handle fairly complex games

The idea that CPUs are only improving at 2-3% per generation probably comes from the fact that Intel/AMD chips haven't made hardly any per-core improvement since 2012. I agree that mobile ARM SOC are experiencing huge leaps still

I remember there was a Mac laptop you could upgrade from a G3 to a G4 by mailing it to a company that desoldered the CPU and put the better one into the same socket. I wonder if that'd still work these days for a Snapdragon SOC?

Also, I heard if you root the Quest you can hack it to unlock 90fps? Seems to me like that would be useful for Virtual Desktop or Oculus Link where the Snapdragon isn't being fully utilized. I'd try but I'm in a limbo right now where I can't find instructions on rooting it and don't want to upgrade and lose the option.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'd say the reaction on the internet seems pretty negative outside VR circles. People have been antsy for a single player Valve game and a negative reaction seems inevitable if the first game in ages is VR only. If they announce a normal straight forward flat screen single player game alongside I'm sure that'd change instantly.

Since Valve has been tinkering with VR for a long time I am really interested in seeing what new ideas they show off in HL:A. Outside of Oculus I don't think there is any other company who has put near so much time into experimenting with VR development. I would be very very surprised if it's anything like a full game though.

I’m guessing $30 and 8-10 hours of normal person gameplay.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Just played around a bit with the Oculus Link Beta after getting a Anker PowerLine USB cable.

In hindsight, I'm really not sure what I was expecting. Possibly a fairly bad experience that would feel as if it was streamed or something like WMR which tends to be a bit laggy and uncomfortable. But frankly, my first impressions are that it pretty much feels like any other headset. The tracking is good, framerate was good, the visuals are good. This is absolutely perfect if I want to play something like Elite: Dangerous(where setting things up for the Vive is generally more of a hassle for me), or want to bring my laptop somewhere to show off VR.

Frankly, I don't expect that I will be using the WMR any time soon after this.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Baron von der Loon posted:

Just played around a bit with the Oculus Link Beta after getting a Anker PowerLine USB cable.

In hindsight, I'm really not sure what I was expecting. Possibly a fairly bad experience that would feel as if it was streamed or something like WMR which tends to be a bit laggy and uncomfortable. But frankly, my first impressions are that it pretty much feels like any other headset. The tracking is good, framerate was good, the visuals are good. This is absolutely perfect if I want to play something like Elite: Dangerous(where setting things up for the Vive is generally more of a hassle for me), or want to bring my laptop somewhere to show off VR.

Frankly, I don't expect that I will be using the WMR any time soon after this.

Yeah, this is pretty much my experience. Looking at the home UI in the Quest and then going into the Link you notice that you lose some crispness, but everything else is just like any other headset. They did a really good job, it even automatically keeps your Quest guardian setup so you don't even need to redo that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I remember there was a Mac laptop you could upgrade from a G3 to a G4 by mailing it to a company that desoldered the CPU and put the better one into the same socket. I wonder if that'd still work these days for a Snapdragon SOC?

Also, I heard if you root the Quest you can hack it to unlock 90fps? Seems to me like that would be useful for Virtual Desktop or Oculus Link where the Snapdragon isn't being fully utilized. I'd try but I'm in a limbo right now where I can't find instructions on rooting it and don't want to upgrade and lose the option.

It's possible that you could re-chip an OG Quest from 835 to 850, they are same generation/fab technology. There would be weird driver problems, also back in the late 90s/early 2000s computers did not use signed drivers so you could hack your own. Given that the Quest is built on Android it probably needs to be signed drivers to work.

The 855 uses a different 7nm fab process so it's probably incompatible. Of note, the 855's GPU has:

• 120fps support
  • hdr color support
  • 3d VR video hardware support
  • 8k 2d 360° video hardware support
  • wifi 6 support
  • 60ghz wifi support (10gbps)

60ghz wifi support @10gbps in a Quest S would basically give you OG Quest wired link capability, but wireless

I'm not 100% sure, but if I were going to pick the Quest S SOC, 855 would be near the top of my list

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yep, people are pissed because Valve barely releases games, so a big new release from them that people can't play without significant additional expense (and sometimes even that won't do it if they just don't have the physical space) was never gonna go over well initially. If a Half-Life continuation wasn't one of the holy grails of gaming people wouldn't be nearly as irritated.

I can only imagine what the reaction will be if it turns out to be actually great.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

sethsez posted:

Yep, people are pissed because Valve barely releases games, so a big new release from them that people can't play without significant additional expense (and sometimes even that won't do it if they just don't have the physical space) was never gonna go over well initially. If a Half-Life continuation wasn't one of the holy grails of gaming people wouldn't be nearly as irritated.

I can only imagine what the reaction will be if it turns out to be actually great.
Gamers: I just don't see the point of VR, there's no killer app, what's the point even lol

Game company: *releases killer app*

Gamers: gently caress YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Played a little bit of The Climb and Robo Recall right now using Oculus Link (Beta) with the anker cable I linked a couple of days ago.

Holy poo poo you guys this is real and it's loving good. It crashed loading Beat Saber (via SteamVR) but it had no issues running anything on my Oculus Library. This is loving awesome. Going to try some Elite later tonight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

Teleport has always been bad for me. It's either implemented poorly or just way more frustrating than just moving a joystick.

Wow, I can't imagine this take. Every teleport game I've played feels awesome and perfect, and if I'm using free move, I can only play for so long before I need to take a break.

Leal posted:

It really helped with my motion sickness when I changed settings to where I would look would turn my character, instead of being able to free look while using the joystick to move. Physically turning to change direction really eased up the feeling for me.

I really hate the feeling of having to look to move though. If you're walking forward and something appears to the left and you look at it and suddenly you're shifting how you're walking, that feels super wrong to me.

I'd much rather have teleportation than that.

In my book, having facing and looking tied together is the definition of a bad VR implementation. I've never played a game with it where I didn't hate it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, I can't imagine this take. Every teleport game I've played feels awesome and perfect, and if I'm using free move, I can only play for so long before I need to take a break.

I would generally agree with what (I think) he's getting at. I find teleport to usually be pretty immersion breaking, since most implementations you can kind of just spam it. The best implementation of teleport was in Budget Cuts, where you had to be more deliberate about using it and it felt more grounded in the universe. It can also be finicky when they do that rotate direction thing where you'll both teleport and change where you face, which can be annoying to get right.

Like I get the nausea concerns, but if you can handle other types of locomotion, I think teleport is usually just less fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve seen a few articles proclaiming that the internet is loosing its poo poo that the new half life game is VR only. They read more like “games journalism” trying to manufacture a controversy for clicks.

That's all games journalism, and most journalism in general these days (since its basically all online now)

But I agree.

The Kotaku headline was like "New Valve Half-life game announced!!!"

And then in the comments "oh btw its a VR game"

Its like they're trying to set people up to get the most kneejerk reaction possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

I would generally agree with what (I think) he's getting at. I find teleport to usually be pretty immersion breaking, since most implementations you can kind of just spam it. The best implementation of teleport was in Budget Cuts, where you had to be more deliberate about using it and it felt more grounded in the universe. It can also be finicky when they do that rotate direction thing where you'll both teleport and change where you face, which can be annoying to get right.

Like I get the nausea concerns, but if you can handle other types of locomotion, I think teleport is usually just less fun.

Payday uses teleport and even balances it in the same game with other people using WSAD controls.

If you teleport too many times in a row, your max teleport distance shortens. If you wait a bit between teleports, you can teleport further.

Works fantastic, and other players see you moving from position to position, not teleporting. Works a charm, never feels remotely bad, everything works 1:1 in real space, game is fully playable and super fun.

I think a lot of people ITT just keep playing one or two games and have written off teleport as "for losers with motion sickness" because goons gotta goon (everybody gets motion sickness some people are just more sensitive to it sooner)

I can "handle" other locomotion, but arm-swinging gets physically exhausting, and moving with a thumbstick will eventually make you feel bad after a few hours. Teleport will never feel bad, even after hours of play.

This is all a massive oversimplification of the issue, again, because of some kind of "you're not good enough for VR" bullshit attitude.

Like, consider games like Superhot VR or Beat Saber VR or Pistol Whip VR. They don't use any locomotion at all. Are they less immersive? They're super immersive. So the nature of the gameplay is part of how the game plays and feels, just comparing locomotion in a bottle isn't really enough of the story. There's also different ways to implement teleport, arm-swinging, free move, etc. so one implementation isn't really indicative of how it would work in other applications.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 20, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
How's the Quest display/audio/comfort compared to the Oculus Rift(the old one, not the S)? If the Link is legit I may consider upgrading to it if there is a visual improvement.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Payday uses teleport and even balances it in the same game with other people using WSAD controls.

If you teleport too many times in a row, your max teleport distance shortens. If you wait a bit between teleports, you can teleport further.

Works fantastic, and other players see you moving from position to position, not teleporting. Works a charm, never feels remotely bad, everything works 1:1 in real space, game is fully playable and super fun.

I think a lot of people ITT just keep playing one or two games and have written off teleport as "for losers with motion sickness" because goons gotta goon (everybody gets motion sickness some people are just more sensitive to it sooner)

Yeah like I said there are better and worse implementations of it, but at the end of the day it takes me out of the experience a lot. I just don't like the feeling of teleporting from one place to another, I really like movement. I don't particularly like joystick sliding around locomotion either, I find that serviceable at best. The VR experiences I like the most are either set in a specific location or have more interactive locomotion methods.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

I disagree entirely.

Teleport not once had made me break immersion or any of that. Sure if the games poorly made sure, but any locomotion is going to be bad in a bad game.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I hope the game is fun / revolutionary / whatever, but even putting aside my lack of VR headset my Geforce 1060 struggles to drive a single screen for some new games. Depending on how beefy the requirements are for this game I'd be looking at dropping well over $1,000 for a single game which is a pretty loving hard "no".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can turn down the render resolution and get by just fine

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

Yeah like I said there are better and worse implementations of it, but at the end of the day it takes me out of the experience a lot. I just don't like the feeling of teleporting from one place to another, I really like movement. I don't particularly like joystick sliding around locomotion either, I find that serviceable at best. The VR experiences I like the most are either set in a specific location or have more interactive locomotion methods.

Yeah, definitely agree with that. I mean if I could have a full holodeck and walk around it and never have to do anything artificial, def that'd be the way to go and I'd never look back.

But we can't do that, so no matter what you do right now you're making some kind of concession.

And yeah, I agree; the games where you don't need to move much at all are the best because they completely side-step the issue.

Its hard for me to pick a single preference. For some games, like Gorn, I prefer arm-swinging. And its obviously integral to the Sprint Vector experience, its part of what makes it an actual activity. But for lots of games I def prefer teleport, and for others free move.

But like someone said before, bug testing a bunch of different locomotion methods and supporting multiple does seem like a headache. Something that AAA game studios could handle better if they made more VR games.

FallenGod posted:

I hope the game is fun / revolutionary / whatever, but even putting aside my lack of VR headset my Geforce 1060 struggles to drive a single screen for some new games. Depending on how beefy the requirements are for this game I'd be looking at dropping well over $1,000 for a single game which is a pretty loving hard "no".

Its only "for a single game" if you'd then throw the GPU away after you finished. If you continue to use that GPU it makes it a bit more complicated of a proposition.

But certainly it may not be worth the money to you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

That's all games journalism, and most journalism in general these days (since its basically all online now)

But I agree.

The Kotaku headline was like "New Valve Half-life game announced!!!"

And then in the comments "oh btw its a VR game"

Its like they're trying to set people up to get the most kneejerk reaction possible.

Even Cracked is being dumb.

Valve is so cruel, omg.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

homeless snail posted:

You can turn down the render resolution and get by just fine

In my limited experience with friends' VR sets, that's a ticket to migraine land for me. Then again, even the regular version of Alien: Isolation does that due to the awful FOV / motion blur, so maybe I'm just too sensitive to that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of the Quest the little plastic edge cover around the left lens appears to have snapped and fell at some point because I just found the piece on my desk. From a quick google search this appears to be both common and... not a real issue? Should I be looking to replace this somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cartoon Man posted:

Even Cracked is being dumb.

Valve is so cruel, omg.

"Even Cracked" lol