Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The rumor, if it is to be believed, is that there is not 1 game but 3 games. This is from the same source that accurately predicted the announcement over a month ago, so the odds are good that there are a few new valve games coming at some point.

Isn't the unveiling tomorrow morning? Can a games thread put aside its pessimism? We shall see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

The rumor, if it is to be believed, is that there is not 1 game but 3 games.

That's not really a rumor. Gabe said as much:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-10-valve-is-making-three-fully-fledged-vr-games

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
lol at all these goons making GBS threads on vr when they're gonna be the first at the shop door for hl:a

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Donovan Trip posted:

The rumor, if it is to be believed, is that there is not 1 game but 3 games. This is from the same source that accurately predicted the announcement over a month ago, so the odds are good that there are a few new valve games coming at some point.

Isn't the unveiling tomorrow morning? Can a games thread put aside its pessimism? We shall see

Valve has been rumored to be working on some sort of space game, but it's been years since games press mentioned it. It would be well into development now if true. That could be one of the 3.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cicero posted:

Yeah the delta in quality between, say, the G-Man in HL1 vs HL2 is loving insane for only 6 years

Wow, those eyes really still hold up, goddamn

I mean, sure, you could post this, but like, the past several Yakuza games, Death Stranding, God of War's reboot, etc. didn't all vastly surpass this with the recent development of incredible performance capture. Just look at the end of Yakuza 6 (@4min):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5DakF4es9U&t=243s

Or, major spoilers ahead, Die Hardman's confession at the end of Death Stranding, which should honestly win a loving Oscar:

https://youtu.be/GNE4y5-kcfY

I'm excited for Half Life VR, but like, the rest of videogames have ran far beyond anything Valve could have ever predicted. Kojima alone found a way to rip the heart out of people's chests at the end of a fuckin' package delivery game.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 21, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oops double

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Donnerberg posted:

Valve has been rumored to be working on some sort of space game, but it's been years since games press mentioned it. It would be well into development now if true. That could be one of the 3.

Or it could have been abandoned long, long ago like HL3 and any other game they've tried to make recently. Actual games don't produce the short term profits that Valve's internal structure encourages.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What short term profits are they getting out of their Linux and VR hardware efforts?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TheNamedSavior posted:

My opinion:

Valve had two options:

Make Alyx mainly VR but announce and release a port/version of it that isn't VR only, so that people who aren't super-rich or just don't like VR can enjoy another trip into Half-Life's world, and people who are into VR can enjoy a game that serves as a killer app for the very controversial technology making everyone get into arguments.

OR Make Alyx only VR and piss off literally the mass majority of people who were annoyed by the silent death of Episode 3 by making them doubt that valve actually is doing this to make another game but merely to create a cash cow, while also causing literally tons of dumb flame wars in literally every single thread or blog post or news or whatever about the game about the EXACT same arguments regarding VR that everyone always makes, and ultimately have yet ANOTHER large controversy that would've killed the company if not for the large amount of money they make literally every second from steam and poo poo, and the circle continues, forever.

lol imagine being this entitled

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, sure, you could post this, but like, the past several Yakuza games, Death Stranding, God of War's reboot, etc. didn't all vastly surpass this with the recent development of incredible performance capture. Just look at the end of Yakuza 6 (@4min)

Wow I can't believe that half life 2 (2004) doesn't look as good as games that came out 15 years later

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I wonder if Valve is going to follow the time-honored developer tradition of totally misunderstanding why people might be angry about something they did.

“Guys, you’ve been asking for a half-life game for so long time and we gave one to you! But now you’re saying you don’t want it?!?!? Well, I guess people don’t want Half-Life 3 after all if this is how they respond to the IP now.” - Valve

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SCheeseman posted:

What short term profits are they getting out of their Linux and VR hardware efforts?

Clearly enough people at Valve have hard ons for VR tech to continuously award bonuses to the VR team. But no one is interested in making a Half-Life 3, Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Team Fortress 3, or a new full-length IP game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll buy it if I can play it normally but lol if Valve thinks I'm dropping eight hundred american dollars on a piece of poo poo

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Clearly enough people at Valve have hard ons for VR tech to continuously award bonuses to the VR team. But no one is interested in making a Half-Life 3, Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Team Fortress 3, or a new full-length IP game.

Oddly, there were very strong rumors that l4d3 was really far along in development, but that was years ago and nothing has been heard since. That one's a real mystery to me. The Half Life and Portal franchises demand high ambition; but if they put out another l4d that was just like the old ones but with modern graphics and really good real-time lighting, that would be a smash hit for sure.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll buy it if I can play it normally but lol if Valve thinks I'm dropping eight hundred american dollars on a piece of poo poo

it'll work on the cheaper headsets too, the rift is going to be $350 on black friday

still ymmv on whether that's worth it but you don't need an :homebrew: index :homebrew:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Songbearer posted:

...brilliance...

Yep, that's the stuff.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

Oddly, there were very strong rumors that l4d3 was really far along in development, but that was years ago and nothing has been heard since. That one's a real mystery to me. The Half Life and Portal franchises demand high ambition; but if they put out another l4d that was just like the old ones but with modern graphics and really good real-time lighting, that would be a smash hit for sure.

It's not a mystery. Valve's internal structure ruins games. If people don't want to work on something, or they don't think they'll get bonuses for doing so (which are voted on by their peers), they won't work on it.

Someone might have been working on a L4D3. That someone might have even had a team interested in working on it. But then they weren't. So it didn't happen. Probably the same thing happened to HL3 and numerous other projects. Artifact only happened because it was small. This game is only happening because enough people there are really interested in/obsessed with VR tech to make it happen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Valve doing something because it interests them, even if it is for niche hardware, is why I'm optimistic. They don't seem to give a poo poo about any entitlement people are feeling about being left out because they don't have a VR headset. They obviously don't care about short term profits. They are very interested in VR what with developing the Index. What VR things they have developed show that they have a deep understanding of what works in VR.
If it's bad then so be it, nobody needs videogames.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

KakerMix posted:

They don't seem to give a poo poo about any entitlement people are feeling about being left out because they don't have a VR headset.

"I can't afford a VR headset" is entitlement?

It will probably be a good game! But to develop this and NOT Half-Life 3, or any other major non-VR game, shows how loving bizarre Valve has become.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 21, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No. But it's a bit entitled to wish VR would go away because you don't have a headset. Basically the "if I can't have it, no one should have it" attitude.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But is that what everyone is saying? I was under the impression that the reaction is mostly, "If they can make a full VR Half-Life game, why can't they get a non-VR game like Half-Life 3 made?" which is a real and legitimate question. Not "VR should go away entirely".

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But is that what everyone is saying? I was under the impression that the reaction is mostly, "If they can make a full VR Half-Life game, why can't they get a non-VR game like Half-Life 3 made?" which is a real and legitimate question. Not "VR should go away entirely".

Agreed, not everyone is saying that at all. Some folks are, and some folks just wonder "why VR?" I believe that after some time, Valve will likely make a non-VR version of the game, but for now it's their muse and there's nothing wrong with that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It will probably be a good game! But to develop this and NOT Half-Life 3, or any other major non-VR game, shows how loving bizarre Valve has become.

There are a ton of issues with Valve, but their biggest asset is being wholly private, there are no shareholders or executives looking to placate them. It means stuff like VR, which is not a big money making proposition, gets done because of reasons *other* than money. Because they want to make a thing. You know, like how all great games usually started.

chaosapiant posted:

No. But it's a bit entitled to wish VR would go away because you don't have a headset. Basically the "if I can't have it, no one should have it" attitude.

It's this.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Because a VR game is deeply and fundamentally different than traditional flatscreen game. You know how people look when they have a VR headset on? Where they are moving oddly, waggling their hands around? That right there is why they won't be able to adapt a made-for-VR game into a flatscreen game without a thick ribbon of 'redesign'. In VR you have two separate, tracked-in-3D-space, outside of your actual view most of the time controllers, with your headset that is also tracked in the same way.
How are you going to adapt a game, designed from the ground up for virtual reality and those controllers, to flatscreen? Without a deep redesign now that you lack those controllers and headset? poo poo man in VR extremely boring on paper stuff is way different of an experience. One of my favorite games in VR is Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand-grenades, and on paper that sounds boring, and playing that game with a keyboard and mouse would be terrible. But with a headset on it's fun as gently caress.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 21, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's the people who think Valve's making a niche HL with a limited install base and appeal as a cash grab who get me.

They could've put out any lovely game with a 3 slapped on the end and sold 10 million units in seconds.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

chaosapiant posted:

How about wishing for it to come out as a non-VR game too, like how many PC users' first question about a cool console exclusive is "is it coming out for PC too?"

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
as a loyal fan of half life who spent almost 100$ buying the half life games over two decades i feel incredibly betrayed to have to watch normies with their 1000$ valve indexes come here and take my sequels

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

KakerMix posted:

There are a ton of issues with Valve, but their biggest asset is being wholly private, there are no shareholders or executives looking to placate them. It means stuff like VR, which is not a big money making proposition, gets done because of reasons *other* than money. Because they want to make a thing. You know, like how all great games usually started.

I agree, but it's absolutely loving bizarre that they can't get Half-Life 3 made, but they can get *this* made. I'm not saying it's only money - I'm saying if something's not fantastically profitable in the short term or someone influential's pet project (i.e. VR), it doesn't get made. If Gabe actually wanted HL3 to happen, even though he claims he's not the boss, he could loving make it happen.

KakerMix posted:

Because a VR game is deeply and fundamentally different than traditional flatscreen game. You know how people look when they have a VR headset on? Where they are moving oddly, waggling their hands around? That right there is why they won't be able to adapt a made-for-VR game into a flatscreen game without a thick ribbon of 'redesign'. In VR you have two separate, tracked-in-3D-space, outside of your actual view most of the time controllers, with your headset that is also tracked in the same way.
How are you going to adapt a game, designed from the ground up for virtual reality and those controllers, to flatscreen? Without a deep redesign now that you lack those controllers and headset? poo poo man in VR extremely boring on paper stuff is way different of an experience. One of my favorite games in VR is Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand-grenades, and on paper that sounds boring, and playing that game with a keyboard and mouse would be terrible. But with a headset on it's fun as gently caress.

I'm not saying "this game should be translated to VR" I'm saying it's stupid that Valve is putting this much effort into ONLY a VR game when they won't put that same amount of effort into ANY other non-VR game.

I don't care how good it is, the only big new game from Valve in literally half a decade being a VR-only game? That's lovely.

Personally, I've made my peace with Half-Life. If Valve doesn't care about it, neither do I. No new Left 4 Dead is what makes me sad.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 21, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend has a fancy VR setup and its incredibly cool because it's like you're on a holodeck. I booted up some bomb disposal game and I was in a room, I could walk around, touch things, look under tables, open drawers, it really felt like I was there. Then the game its self did not require any of that and could have easily been played with 2d graphics and a controller or something.

That's been my problem VR, the games barely take advantage of the tech. Stuff like job simulator are fun little tech demos but they really keep me wanting for more. Maybe this game will be that? I won't know though because I can't afford the tech and even if I could have no space to set it up in.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/546560/HalfLife_Alyx/?snr=1_4_4__118

https://half-life.com/en/alyx

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 21, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat this poo poo looks cool

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Well that looks loving awesome

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Baronjutter posted:

That's been my problem VR, the games barely take advantage of the tech. Stuff like job simulator are fun little tech demos but they really keep me wanting for more. Maybe this game will be that? I won't know though because I can't afford the tech and even if I could have no space to set it up in.
Sounds like you've just played some really basic VR games. Beat Saber doesn't translate to flat screens. Superhot VR feels very different from regular Superhot; broad strokes it's the same game, but the way you're engaging with it is different.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2W0N3uKXmo

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Wow that does look good

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nope

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

so who's voicing eli now, his original voice actor died a few years ago :smith:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
that is so bad looool

looks like a game from 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea so, they’re definitely taking advantage of VR there and I can’t loving wait!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quote:

VALVE ANNOUNCES HALF-LIFE: ALYX, A FULL-LENGTH VR ENTRY IN THE AWARD WINNING SERIES

Now Available for Pre-purchase, Slated for March 2020 Launch

November 21, 2019 - Valve, the creators of Half-Life and the Steam platform, today announced Half-Life: Alyx, a new, full-length virtual reality entry in the Half-Life series. Slated for release on Steam in March 2020, the title will be compatible with all PC-based VR headsets in March 2020.

Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Alyx Vance and her father Eli secretly mount the resistance to the brutal occupation of Earth by a mysterious alien race known as The Combine. As Alyx, players take the fight to the Combine to save the future of humanity.

Half-Life: Alyx was designed from the ground up for Virtual Reality and features all of the hallmarks of a classic Half-Life game: world exploration, puzzle solving, visceral combat, and an intricately woven story that connects it all with the characters iconic to the Half-Life universe.

"Everyone at Valve is excited to be returning to the world of Half-Life", says Valve founder Gabe Newell. "VR has energized us. We've invested a lot of ourselves in the technology. But we're also game developers at heart, and to be devoting ourselves to a VR game this ambitious is just as exciting. For that to come in the form of Half-Life feels like the culmination of a lot things we care a lot about : truly great games, cutting edge technology, and open platforms. We can't wait for people to experience this."

Half-Life: Alyx is powered by SteamVR on Valve's Source 2 engine, and can be played on Steam with all PC-based VR headsets.

Pre-purchase now for $59.99 (US). Free for owners of the Valve Index VR headset.

Learn more and watch the trailer here: https://www.half-life.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That actually does look pretty rad. Weirdly it convinces me that continuing on from the HL series would be more doable than I thought, it looks a lot closer to HL2 than I would've guessed.