Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

red19fire posted:

I’m firmly in the ‘it’s illegal because big pharma doesn’t want you to be able to grow medicine in your backyard, they wouldn’t be able to make money off OxyContin, maaaaaannnnnn’ camp.

My grandfather was a pharmacist from the early 1940s until he retired in '88 and was taught all the old methods of using plants and herbs to create medicines.

There's a pretty good doc from BBC on how lots of these were created and it looks like part of your job was a mad scientists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t3tl3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Sorry to double post but has anyone used the Airistech Switch 3-in-1 before? Just looking for feedback

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Minimal rear end-Piss posted:

I remember seeing some preliminary studies that looked at the possibility of weed and certain cannabinoids slowing or stopping the growth of cancer cells. The results looked promising, but I don't if they were ever able to verify it. I remember some people pointed to this as the reason you didn't see weed smokers developing lung cancer as much as cigarette smokers.

I will say that weed was the best drug for helping me get through chemotherapy. I tried all of the drugs the doctor prescribed me, and they either didn't help or had really bad side effects. Weed was able to help with a lot of the pain and discomfort and it was the only thing I found that helped me eat and deal with the nausea.

in the late '90s or early oughts there was a big meta-study of tobacco, weed, and tobacco+weed smokers going back to 70s which, being sponsored by the DEA and carried out by a DEA pet scientist, was engineered to easily demonstrate that smoking weed for decades causes lung cancer and that smoking weed and cigs is even worse. they definitely did not find that link, but one thing they did find was that the weed+tobacco group had significantly less cancer than the tobacco group and that certain growths which are believed to be precancerous don't progress to cancer as often if you smoke weed, iirc. can't find the study though. I think it was from one of the UNCs

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Labes for days posted:

Weed is great and can definitely be used for medicinal purposes, but the people making absurdist loving claims like “it’s not a drug” or “it cures cancer!” piss me off.

CBD is currently a cureall for literally anything if you didn't know.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i am harry posted:

CBD is currently a cureall for literally anything if you didn't know.

I found a flyer somewhere locally for a CBD MLM scheme where one side was a fine print list of every ailment under the sun. it also said explicitly that it's great for pregnancy and for all animals

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

cbd doesn't fix everything but it helps a lot with my anxiety which is, if i am being honest, a huge problem for me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I lost a friend to cancer a few years ago and in the end it was in her bones and she was already smoking weed and on dilaudid plus a fent patch and didn't want any more of those because she wanted to be able to visit with people and set her affairs in order. By her account CBD (isolate in an atomizer) provided instant relief for the cancer pain in her spine without loving her up any more. so there's that

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My ex's mom passed away almost 4 months ago and the only thing that consistently helped manage her pain was CBD. Any of the opiates or other stuff she was prescribed had really awful side effects that made her barely functional or did almost nothing to help her. CBD wasn't wondrous magic or anything but it lessened her pain considerably.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hell Yeah posted:

cbd doesn't fix everything but it helps a lot with my anxiety which is, if i am being honest, a huge problem for me.

My anxiety got so much better when I stopped smoking weed every day.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'll never stop smoking weed every day, coward

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Minimal rear end-Piss posted:

I remember some people pointed to this as the reason you didn't see weed smokers developing lung cancer as much as cigarette smokers.

i mean maybe, but the fact that cigarette smoke contains nicotine and weed smoke doesnt also contributes a lot to that difference

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Hell Yeah posted:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Weed used to give me a ton of anxiety (or to put it another way it amplified the things I was already anxious about) but I kinda learned to deal with it over time. I just tell myself "dude you're high, why are you getting yourself down thinking about this stupid poo poo? go get some snacks and play a video game."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hell Yeah posted:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

is pepsi ok posted:

Weed used to give me a ton of anxiety (or to put it another way it amplified the things I was already anxious about) but I kinda learned to deal with it over time. I just tell myself "dude you're high, why are you getting yourself down thinking about this stupid poo poo? go get some snacks and play a video game."

Same. Last few times I did edibles and had more than I wanted (only by a bit) my mind would go crazy and I would overthink things and get anxious. Now I have the coping skills to remind myself what's happening and re-center myself so I freak out less and less. Meditation and CBT really helps with that, and now I don't generally have an anxiety problem doing the cannabis anymore.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Im no rocket surgeon or thc savant, but aren't there strains that don't give you anxiety or paranoia or whatever? Like a pro and con list for what a given strain will do.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

i mean maybe, but the fact that cigarette smoke contains nicotine and weed smoke doesnt also contributes a lot to that difference

I thought it was just that most smokers intake such an extreme quantity of smoke vs the average pot smoker. There are carcinogens in any kind of burning vegetable matter. You just get a much smaller exposure unless you’re really puffing tough.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Im no rocket surgeon or thc savant, but aren't there strains that don't give you anxiety or paranoia or whatever? Like a pro and con list for what a given strain will do.

Everyone’s body and brain chemistry is different and any kind of long term substance abuse can have negative consequences.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Yeah, I feel like lots of people complaining about anxiety and other unwanted reactions to weed just haven't found the right strain for their brain/body chemistry or are smoking whatever crap their friends got from their dealer in an illegal state.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Yeah but then I wouldnt be doing bong rips of 22% thc, and wheres the fun in that.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i feel like there's an inverted U type effect wrt weed & anxiety, strong acute relief but a ramping up of general anxiety levels as tolerance becomes a thing and doses get bigger & regular.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Saint Drogo posted:

i feel like there's an inverted U type effect wrt weed & anxiety, strong acute relief but a ramping up of general anxiety levels as tolerance becomes a thing and doses get bigger & regular.

This is why I've been cooling off how much I'm smoking lately. I feel like my anxiety has been increasing and half the reason I smoke it to forget about that poo poo.

Weed, when used properly according to how your body reacts to it, is fuckin' awesome regardless

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I thought it was just that most smokers intake such an extreme quantity of smoke vs the average pot smoker. There are carcinogens in any kind of burning vegetable matter. You just get a much smaller exposure unless you’re really puffing tough.

yes all burning vegetable matter is carcinogenic, but nicotine is highly toxic and does additional dna damage that increases cancer risk, so it compounds the issue. it also, of course, makes people smoke more

also compare eating weed (fine) versus chewing tobacco (jaw cancer) or eating tobacco (vomiting, death if you eat enough). tobacco overall is a lot worse for the human body than marijuana regardless of how you consume it, its poisonous.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 20, 2019

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Saint Drogo posted:

You guys are over complicating things. Anxiety is just weed's way of telling you that staying home, being stoned and playing video games is the most exalted state a human can achieve.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Earwicker posted:

yes all burning vegetable matter is carcinogenic, but nicotine is highly toxic and does additional dna damage that increases cancer risk, so it compounds the issue. it also, of course, makes people smoke more

also compare eating weed (fine) versus chewing tobacco (jaw cancer) or eating tobacco (vomiting, death if you eat enough). tobacco overall is a lot worse for the human body than marijuana regardless of how you consume it, its poisonous.

Don’t nitrosamines cause cancer, not nicotine specifically? Do nicotine gum and patches increase cancer risk? Those aren’t tobacco-based products.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

poverty goat posted:

I lost a friend to cancer a few years ago and in the end it was in her bones and she was already smoking weed and on dilaudid plus a fent patch and didn't want any more of those because she wanted to be able to visit with people and set her affairs in order. By her account CBD (isolate in an atomizer) provided instant relief for the cancer pain in her spine without loving her up any more. so there's that

I work with a lady who has severe pain in her legs who swears by CBD, she said it's the only thing that's really helped that also allows her to go to work

personally I think touting the health benefits as a pro-legalization strategy is maybe not the best idea since the idea that weed is "good for you" is kinda dubious, since I think the more relevant point is that it's way better for you than alcohol and alcohol is not only legal but openly celebrated in our culture (as it should be)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

Now I’m picturing someone packing a big lipper of toasted shredded weed.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

JAMOOOL posted:

personally I think touting the health benefits as a pro-legalization strategy is maybe not the best idea since the idea that weed is "good for you" is kinda dubious, since I think the more relevant point is that it's way better for you than alcohol and alcohol is not only legal but openly celebrated in our culture (as it should be)

It would probably be better if they just stopped saying it cures anything. At best it helps alleviate symptoms, it doesn't cure poo poo.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
My dealer had to scrounge around for his bag for a bit cause he lost it in his car, and offered me a couple rips off his pen. First concentrate I've ever done, and I don't know if I'm just kinda high, or so insanely high that I feel kinda normal. It's been months since I last smoked so kinda trying to piece it together. My current plan is to smoke this entire bowl and then find out if I get more higher or not.

e: took my first hit off my bowl, I definitely just hosed up using the pen lol

klapman fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 21, 2019

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Those pens are weird because when I got to play with them I was told baby hits because it's strongg, but I felt like it didn't work unless you hit really hard, and then like 2 did the job of a couple bowls.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

klapman posted:

My dealer had to scrounge around for his bag for a bit cause he lost it in his car, and offered me a couple rips off his pen. First concentrate I've ever done, and I don't know if I'm just kinda high, or so insanely high that I feel kinda normal. It's been months since I last smoked so kinda trying to piece it together. My current plan is to smoke this entire bowl and then find out if I get more higher or not.

e: took my first hit off my bowl, I definitely just hosed up using the pen lol

Agrinja posted:

Those pens are weird because when I got to play with them I was told baby hits because it's strongg, but I felt like it didn't work unless you hit really hard, and then like 2 did the job of a couple bowls.

black market carts are at the center of the whole vaping plague, and if you have to take a bunch of rips to feel anything it might be because it's watered down with vitamin E acetate which will kill you

don't gently caress with any weed in a pen if you aren't getting it from a legal dispensary

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Tehran 1979 posted:

It would probably be better if they just stopped saying it cures anything. At best it helps alleviate symptoms, it doesn't cure poo poo.

Nothing "cures" cancer and many of these other painfully debilitating chronic illnesses anyways, whether it's radiation therapy, surgery, weed, etc, just deals with the symptoms and hopefully addresses them in the long-term, so what's wrong with pro-legalization folks going with the same PR bullshit that the pharmaceutical industry, the medical community, and public health officials already tout as it is?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 21, 2019

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

just don't smoke those things, what the hell is wrong with you people.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

poverty goat posted:

black market carts are at the center of the whole vaping plague, and if you have to take a bunch of rips to feel anything it might be because it's watered down with vitamin E acetate which will kill you

don't gently caress with any weed in a pen if you aren't getting it from a legal dispensary

Also this. Never, ever try out your dealer's or a friend's random concentrate/oil vape unless you are 100% fully confident they got it from a legal dispensary. That poo poo is hosed if it's bootleg and may literally destroy your body and kill you.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 21, 2019

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Nothing "cures" cancer and many of these other painfully debilitating chronic illnesses anyways, whether it's radiation therapy, surgery, weed, etc, just deals with the symptoms and hopefully addresses them in the long-term, so what's wrong with pro-legalization folks going with the same PR bullshit that the pharmaceutical industry, the medical community, and public health officials already tout as it is?
yeah, 'alleviating symptoms' is incredibly easy to dismiss despite that being 100% of the treatment for shitloads of conditions, with or without weed. it is the cure.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Hell Yeah posted:

just don't smoke those things, what the hell is wrong with you people.

Flower power everyone. If you need weed on the go try coconut oil capsules.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

there's tiny portable flower vapes if you really need something portable with no smell. i bought a fury 2 for like $100 but you could also get a dynavap for like $70. i think you can do concentrates in both too. there's no reason to be smoking pens right now i wouldn't even trust one from a dispensary.

but also if you not smoking big stinky joints of flower what's wrong w/ you.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I had the MFLB back when those were all the rage and i could hardly get a buzz off it. later i bought a decent glass-on-glass plugin vape and it was a lot better

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Harton posted:

Flower power everyone. If you need weed on the go try coconut oil capsules.

Hells yeah. May I ask what your weed-to-oil ratio is? I've always done 1 cup per half oz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I had the MFLB back when those were all the rage and i could hardly get a buzz off it. later i bought a decent glass-on-glass plugin vape and it was a lot better

Same. Launch box worked barely for a time but I replaced it with an enano that has broken in various ways but keeps on heating.